• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
You know you have to stay out of this thread when there are people saying Messi isnt a playmaker. Delusional people spotted. Be aware. Stay out.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's playing in 9/10/11 etc for 500+ games? Off course He's bound to get some assists and through pass and enough to make a youtube reels.

But that doesnt make him a playmaker.
I think this is the most stupid thing ive read in this thread. Saying that Messi isnt a playmaker is like saying Özil isnt a playmaker. He's not a cm metronome, but neither was some of greatest playmakers in history like M. Laudrup or Maradonna

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think this is the most stupid thing ive read in this thread. Saying that Messi isnt a playmaker is like saying Özil isnt a playmaker. He's not a cm metronome, but neither was some of greatest playmakers in history like M. Laudrup or Maradonna

By your "smart" definition most attackers are playmaker.

Even lingard is playmaker. Just less successful. Because.. hey... as long as he assist and create.

Gehrman

By your "smart" definition most attackers are playmaker.

Even lingard is playmaker. Just less successful. Because.. hey... as long as he assist and create.
What makes Messi not a playmaker? Do you not consider Cryuff and Maradonna playmakers either?

Cal?

CR7 fan
You got to laugh when the Messi brigade pretends CL MotM awards are a good indicator in this argument.
Forget trophies, goals, assists, everything that points to Ronaldo; rely on MoTM awards decided by some random person somewhere. :lol:

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
You got to laugh when the Messi brigade pretends CL MotM awards are a good indicator in this argument.
Forget trophies, goals, assists, everything that points to Ronaldo; rely on MoTM awards decided by some random person somewhere. :lol:
Trophies - not down to one player
Goals - role dependent
Assists- also role dependent

Not that goals or assists or even trophies point to Cr7 by the way...

Gehrman

Trophies - not down to one player
Goals - role dependent
Assists- also role dependent

Not that goals or assists or even trophies point to Cr7 by the way...
He's talking about the CL

But in general I think motm awards are not a stat in this conversation. Awards for being the best player on the pitch are fairly meaningfull.

Pickle85

He's talking about the CL

But in general I think motm awards are not a stat in this conversation. Awards for being the best player on the pitch are fairly meaningfull.
Agreed that motm awards are definitely meaningful here, but to dismiss trophies as 'not down to one player' (as the last poster did) at the same time is to ignore the fact that the team on which an motm plays usually affords them the platform to play to that level. This seems particularly true with Messi (and Ronnie tbf) - who had a team (and some could argue a club) built around him with the specific intention of catering to him. Motm awards are then easier to come by. Again, I do think it's a useful metric but should be examined in context.

Gehrman

Agreed that motm awards are definitely meaningful here, but to dismiss trophies as 'not down to one player' (as the last poster did) at the same time is to ignore the fact that the team on which an motm plays usually affords them the platform to play to that level. This seems particularly true with Messi (and Ronnie tbf) - who had a team (and some could argue a club) built around him with the specific intention of catering to him. Motm awards are then easier to come by. Again, I do think it's a useful metric but should be examined in context.
I definitely think so. I wasn't dismissing the trophies argument really only that has a context as well which we keep going over and over again. It was also about stuff like goals, assists etc. In the 2009 final, you would think that Messi was motm because he got on the scoresheet, but actually it was Iniesta who bossed that match. I agree it's easier for Messi and Ronaldo to get motm awards with teams built around them, but there is still a rather large gap between their motm awards also keeping in mind that Ronaldo has played something like 140 more matches.

Pickle85

I definitely think so. I wasn't dismissing the trophies argument really only that has a context as well which we keep going over and over again. It was also about stuff like goals, assists etc. In the 2009 final, you would think that Messi was motm because he got on the scoresheet, but actually it was Iniesta who bossed that match. I agree it's easier for Messi and Ronaldo to get motm awards with teams built around them, but there is still a rather large gap between their motm awards also keeping in mind that Ronaldo has played something like 140 more matches.
Agreed on all points!

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Has Ronaldo scored a goal from outside the box yet?

For a supposedly "more complete" player he seems pretty one dimensional.

Gehrman

Has Ronaldo scored a goal from outside the box yet?

For a supposedly "more complete" player he seems pretty one dimensional.
He's a almost 37 year old penalty box striker this days. Not really much point trying to pretend this is prime Ronaldo.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Guess the god of clutches and the pinnicle of humankind’s mentality could not clutch out a single goal this time using his supreme will of steel

indianabones2021

Supports
WBA
That was a lashout yesterday and I feel he was very very lucky to get away with just a yellow. I have yet to see Messi lash out like that, but Ronaldo has this side to him and I think it makes him what he is. There's this inner lion that cannot accept things going horribly wrong.

Pocho

That was a lashout yesterday and I feel he was very very lucky to get away with just a yellow. I have yet to see Messi lash out like that, but Ronaldo has this side to him and I think it makes him what he is. There's this inner lion that cannot accept things going horribly wrong.
How About playing well and try not to leave his Team with ten men? It's a team sport

Gehrman

Guess the god of clutches and the pinnicle of humankind’s mentality could not clutch out a single goal this time using his supreme will of steel
He did clutch a offside goal tbf.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Messi literally punched someone last season :lol:

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Kicking a man while he's down is being a lion now? :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Please explain why MOTM is a less good indicator than any of the other things you mentioned in determining which player has performed better.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
MOTM is a better indicator, trophies are collective.

Would you say David Villa is a better player than Cristiano cause he won World Cup with Spain, while Cristiano barely can pass group stage with Portugal struggling to even beat the likes or Iran and Morocco?

Also based on assists Messi is better than Cristiano, the only argument Cristiano has over Messi is winning more Champions Leagues( a collective trophy).
If that's the case i guess Origi is better player than Zlatan and Bonucci.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
MOTM is a better indicator, trophies are collective.

Would you say David Villa is a better player than Cristiano cause he won World Cup with Spain, while Cristiano barely can pass group stage with Portugal struggling to even beat the likes or Iran and Morocco?

Also based on assists Messi is better than Cristiano, the only argument Cristiano has over Messi is winning more Champions Leagues( a collective trophy).
If that's the case i guess Origi is better player than Zlatan and Bonucci.
Generally agree, just want to point out that CR has more assists than Messi in the CL. However, he has of course played many more games.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Because you can win trophies sitting on the bench and you can have goals and assists and still have a piss poor game.
MotM tells you that you were voted best player on the pitch and that's why it's a good indicator.
Did you ever see a player win the MotM award sitting on the bench?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Generally agree, just want to point out that CR has more assists than Messi in the CL. However, he has of course played many more games.
I know, i was talking about assists in their whole career, not just Champions League...Messi has more.

Ronaldo has now the record of most goals scored in the Euro, 10 vs 9 scored by Platini, however Platini scored those 9 goals in one edition, Ronaldo needed 5 euros to score those 10 goals.

And let's not forget than in Euro 2016 the best player was Griezmann, not Cristiano... despite Portugal winning the trophy.

LoneStar

You know you have to stay out of this thread when there are people saying Messi isnt a playmaker. Delusional people spotted. Be aware. Stay out.
Is someone forcing you to stay in this thread? Blink twice if you are being held hostage.

Not agreeing with opinions is fine (Messi is a playmaker imo) but what does this post serve at all? Different people have different opinions in a hotly debated topic, shocker.

Gehrman

Is someone forcing you to stay in this thread? Blink twice if you are being held hostage.

Not agreeing with opinions is fine (Messi is a playmaker imo) but what does this post serve at all? Different people have different opinions in a hotly debated topic, shocker.
Its just a mindboggling view to have(Messi not being a playmaker). An interesting discussion could be though at what point does a player deserve to be labelled a playmaker.

fck

Supports
Bayern

I think he just wanted to make clear that the opinion of Messi being not a playmaker is absolutely idiotic. We all can have opinions but there has to be certain level of quality otherwise it's absolutely pointless.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Because you can win trophies sitting on the bench and you can have goals and assists and still have a piss poor game.
MotM tells you that you were voted best player on the pitch and that's why it's a good indicator.
Did you ever see a player win the MotM award sitting on the bench?
and that’s the other difference with Messi and Ronaldo. Messi can win MOTM without scoring or assisting where you’ll never get that with Ronaldo.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think he just wanted to make clear that the opinion of Messi being not a playmaker is absolutely idiotic. We all can have opinions but there has to be certain level of quality otherwise it's absolutely pointless.
But isn’t that why this is easily the most enjoyable thread in the history of the internet? We need some insanely moronic takes with some legit well written ones sprinkled on. It’s the chaos that has this topic thrive so much on here. It attracts all walks of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.