Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It took Ronaldo 2 whole years to become consistently good at Manchester United. I’m old enough to recall him being mocked by Baddiel and Skinner in a little skit they called ‘the Adventures of Cristiano Ronaldo.’ Check it out on YouTube if you missed it.
He was young and raw. Messi hit wc levels at 19 though.

Gehrman

Its so funny that there are some here who are trying to convince themselves or are already convinced that winning the EPL with SAF’s greatest United team and winning the SerieA with Juventus were bigger achievements than winning the Spanish League with Valverde’s Barca against Simeone’s A.Madrid and Zidane’s Real or winning the treble under Enrique.
And they hide it under the guise of being able to do it in different leagues. Sure…in best in class clubs and under SAF (one of the GOATs)’s United and the 1 horse in the 1 horse league Juventus.

This is the same type of arguments used against Pep; greatest of all time Barca, 1 horse Bayern and ultra rich City, yet 1 league (the elite ones) SAF is considered GOAT here and understandably so.

Ok, waiting for the 1 liner no substance replies laced with personal insults, as usual
People will point out Ronaldo 5 CL wins.

Gehrman

Hardly a bad match, if you see his highlights(won motm). But of course since he's Messi he needs to score some goals. He rarely gets the ball in positions to score though, if you're talking about service to Messi.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
During Valverde's two full seasons, Real Madrid got 76 (with Zidane) and 68 points (without him), and Atletico got 79 and 76 points. That amount of points hasn't won a league title since 2007. So what the hell are you talking about?
Hilarious. This is disingenuous, even for you. Valverde’s first season was against a Real Madrid that were the defending La Liga champions and ended up winning the champions league later that year. You can’t spend ages bigging up Zidane’s Madrid and then turn around and say that they were actually crap and beating them to
a title is no biggie.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Hilarious. This is disingenuous, even for you. Valverde’s first season was against a Real Madrid that were the defending La Liga champions and ended up winning the champions league later that year.
Yes, and they got 76 points in La Liga.

Apparently counting is disingenuous now.

You can’t spend ages bigging up Zidane’s Madrid and then turn around and say that they were actually crap and beating them to a title is no biggie.
Who's saying they are "actually crap"? Real Madrid got 76 points in La Liga during Valverde's first season. That does not win you a league under almost any circumstances (and, in fact, they finished 3rd). These are simply facts.

Last edited:

Eplel

Hardly a bad match, if you see his highlights(won motm). But of course since he's Messi he needs to score some goals. He rarely gets the ball in positions to score though, if you're talking about service to Messi.

The Liquidator of Loriant

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Yes, and they got 76 points in La Liga.

Apparently counting is disingenuous now.

Who's saying they are "actually crap"? Real Madrid got 76 points in La Liga during Valverde's first season. That does not win you a league under almost any circumstances (and, in fact, they finished 3rd). These are simply facts.
So, Pep’s Barca > Zidane’s Real Madrid then, seeing as they never soiled themselves with 76 points in a league campaign? Glad to see you agree now.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Pep's Barcelona were better in La Liga than Real Madrid under Zidane. I'm not sure who is disagreeing with that.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Right so SAF'S greatest United team has nothing to do with Ronaldo! :lol:

Acting like Diego Simeone's Atheltico is on the same level as the older version of Jose Mourinho's Chelsea, Wenger's Arsenal, Benitez's Liverpool and more accurately- the rest of the PL below the top 4 vs the rest of La Liga!
United still won the league and made a ucl final after Ronaldo left

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Did it against the best teams in Europe :D

Compares to struggling against a Fred version of Brazil and Uruguay? Who else? Mexico with Javier Hernandez :D
Ronaldo is about to miss WC for being shit against Serbia in Lisbon, and you are talking about doing it against best teams in Europe....HA.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Right so SAF'S greatest United team has nothing to do with Ronaldo! :lol:

Acting like Diego Simeone's Atheltico is on the same level as the older version of Jose Mourinho's Chelsea, Wenger's Arsenal, Benitez's Liverpool and more accurately- the rest of the PL below the top 4 vs the rest of La Liga!
Wenger's Arsenal was good until Henry, Cole, and Vieira left, after that it was a scuffed version that Man Utd fans were mocking as Arsenal only were fighting to qualify for CL, not to win the PL anymore.
But apparently now they were a great side that everybody was praising... despiste not being a contender for EPL anymore.

Benitez's Liverpool was never in the consideration for best EPL team despiste their fluky CL in 2005... weird to see a Man Utd fan saying Benitez's Liverpool was great in EPL, despite them never challenging for the title except one season.

Last edited:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I get the criticism of PSG as a team, but they’re 12 points clear in the league I think? They’re undoubtedly going to win the league, most likely at a canter.

Messi being this shite is more surprising though. Doesn’t seem motivated / bothered to be honest.
PSG is playing like shit, getting away with late winners/equalizers after being dominated by the opposition both home and away.

It's as if Ole is coaching PSG, same energy.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
PSG is playing like shit, getting away with late winners/equalizers after being dominated by the opposition both home and away.

It's as if Ole is coaching PSG, same energy.
They’re 12-13 points clear of 2nd, and Messi has been shite. Save for a couple of games in the CL, he’s been awful.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
They’re 12-13 points clear of 2nd, and Messi has been shite. Save for a couple of games in the CL, he’s been awful.
PSG has been shit in the league, mentioning how they are 12 points ahead only shows how inconsistent are the rest of the teams as nobody can match them cause they can't win 3 games in a row.
Reality says PSG is getting dominated home and away by mid table french teams, and somehow getting away with it due to late goals to equalize/win the game after the opposition miss sitters or make Navas/Donnarumma MOTM.

My grandma,who don't watch football at all, can say PSG is good cause they are 12 points ahead in the league just by reading wikipedia...zero analysis.

Mbappé has been the only player in PSG with a consistent performance this season, the rest have been irregular (including Messi), this has to be the worst PSG i remember in terms of performance in the pitch.

Despite the quality, current PSG looks disjointed as F, like Portugal who only can dominate shit teams like Ireland and Luxembourg despite having quality players, whenever they face a good teams it's either a loss or getting dominated but winning/drawing thanks to a jammy goal at the end.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo is about to miss WC for being shit against Serbia in Lisbon, and you are talking about doing it against best teams in Europe....HA.
First he didn’t miss WC yet, there are still playoff games to play for. Second, he has scored 13 goals in 14 games for Portugal this year alone, and has been solely responsible for winning many points for Portugal in WC qualifiers. Yet you are blaming him for not scoring in some particular game. Could you name be a player in football history who had managed to score in every single game?

MrEleson

The irony is that if FIFA had done their jobs properly, he would have already secured WC qualification before the game against Serbia in Lisbon even happened. He had a goal wrongly disallowed when it clearly crossed the line in the last minute of Portugal's game in Serbia. That goal would have won the game and since then has only gone on to prove more costly as time has passed.

Gehrman

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
And what about Pochettino? A bit too hard for him now aswell? Did get to CL Final, so let's see if Messi can do it.

The thing is Ronaldo wasn't just able to show success at all his clubs, the guy scored goals for fun in his teams in every country he went and played against at - playing for a team with an English style vs English tactical style teams, playing for an Italian team vs Italian tactical style team, playing for a Spanish Style team vs Spansih style teams.

People kept acting that just because Messi did it against an English team whilst only playing for a Spanish team that this was the same thing.

Now people are seeing that Messi is a different player when playing outside of Barcelona - just like to so so many saw that he was a different Messi for Argentina compared to how be played for Barcelona.

Anyway, Let's first see if Messi can do it against Lorient, Lens, Lille or LOL!

Acting like your post is not expected and only mine is :lol: one thing is for sure - his performances were not expected to be like this.
So basically you dodged the question entirely. I see that even you have a hard time convincing yourself that winning the EPL with SAF’s United is as difficult winning La Liga with Valverde’s Barca.

Fact is SAF (+ Zidane and Simeone) > Valverde, SAF’s United > Valverde’s Barca and their main rivals, Zidane’s Real > Whoever else was in the EPL bar United and perhaps Mou’s Chelsea.

Ever so predictable, as you cannot refute the above points, you changed the topic and brought in Poch like he is another SAF, prime Mou or Zidane.

But its fine, I can definitely see why some may regard Messi’s season as a failure if PSG cannot reach the CL final. Lets break it down shall we?

Poch-top 5 to 15 managers currently
PSG - 1 of the 2 most expensive team (with the other being City)
Main rivals for the CL - City and Bayern being better, with liverpool around PSG’s level
Messi - 34 years old

Not reaching the CL final based on the above is failure in the eyes of some, again it is reasonable opinion as PSG is still one of the best teams with a good manager. Lets apply the same logic to the below then, rewind it back to 2011

Prime Mou- Just won the treble with Inter, rated amongst the top 3 managers in the world (together with SAF and Pep, no other managers came close to 3 of them back then)
Real Madrid - Just completed galatico II project, most expensive team in the world
Main rivals for the CL - Pep’s Barca being better. SAF United around the same level in the first year and Bayern is arguably better in the later years.
CR7 - in his prime, mid 20s

So if we are comparing apples to apples, if a 34 year old Messi not reaching the CL final in his 1st season in PSG with a non-top 5 manager Poch is a failure, then the younger and in his prime CR7’s 3 years with Madrid, which had a then top 3 manager, must be an abject utter failure in the CL for 3 straight years.
I will strike off 1 of those years for winning the la liga against Pep Barca, which is a great achievement, so its 2 years of utter failures in his prime.

Are you going to agree with it or are you going to dodge and change topics with your smiley faces again?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thank the lord that someone I find as a lying cheating scum is backing up Messi :lol: Then says that PSG need to put themselves at service for Messi better, something I always said that helped him with Barcelona's possesion heavy football!

Messi, who spent 21 illustrious years at Barcelona before signing for PSG in August, has recorded a modest six goals and five assists in his first 16 outings for the French giants.

Herrera doesn't think the Argentine has struggled to adapt to life in France, though, as he insists that the rest of the squad must do more to help him reach his best level.

"Players of Messi's level shorten the acclimatisation time," Herrera has told Mundo Deportivo. "He will play the same way in France, in Spain, in Japan or in Madagascar.

"He has won his seventh Ballon d'Or and trains and enjoys as if he were only starting to play now. No training action is taken as a joke.

"At times we have already seen the best version of Leo, as against [Manchester] City at home, but I think it is also the responsibility of all those around him. We have to put ourselves at his service to get the best out of him. Normally, regular players have to adapt to a new context.

"Now it is the other way around because we are talking about the best footballer in history."

Pressed on whether Messi is being overshadowed by Mbappe, Herrera replied: "Kylian will be the best player in the world for many years to come, but we all agree that Leo is number one. No doubt. Mbappe has an immense humility and desire to learn from Leo."

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Thank the lord that someone I find as a lying cheating scum is backing up Messi :lol: Then says that PSG need to put themselves at service for Messi better, something I always said that helped him with Barcelona's possesion heavy football!

Messi, who spent 21 illustrious years at Barcelona before signing for PSG in August, has recorded a modest six goals and five assists in his first 16 outings for the French giants.

Herrera doesn't think the Argentine has struggled to adapt to life in France, though, as he insists that the rest of the squad must do more to help him reach his best level.

"Players of Messi's level shorten the acclimatisation time," Herrera has told Mundo Deportivo. "He will play the same way in France, in Spain, in Japan or in Madagascar.

"He has won his seventh Ballon d'Or and trains and enjoys as if he were only starting to play now. No training action is taken as a joke.

"At times we have already seen the best version of Leo, as against [Manchester] City at home, but I think it is also the responsibility of all those around him. We have to put ourselves at his service to get the best out of him. Normally, regular players have to adapt to a new context.

"Now it is the other way around because we are talking about the best footballer in history."

Pressed on whether Messi is being overshadowed by Mbappe, Herrera replied: "Kylian will be the best player in the world for many years to come, but we all agree that Leo is number one. No doubt. Mbappe has an immense humility and desire to learn from Leo."
not any different than Ronaldo with Juve:

Buffon: "Ronaldo was a great teammate but I feel like Juventus lost their DNA with him.

Hell. Even Bruno gets grief for falling off a cliff this season because he tries to cater to Ronaldo too much.

Bebestation

So basically you dodged the question entirely. I see that even you have a hard time convincing yourself that winning the EPL with SAF’s United is as difficult winning La Liga with Valverde’s Barca.

Fact is SAF (+ Zidane and Simeone) > Valverde, SAF’s United > Valverde’s Barca and their main rivals, Zidane’s Real > Whoever else was in the EPL bar United and perhaps Mou’s Chelsea.

Ever so predictable, as you cannot refute the above points, you changed the topic and brought in Poch like he is another SAF, prime Mou or Zidane.

But its fine, I can definitely see why some may regard Messi’s season as a failure if PSG cannot reach the CL final. Lets break it down shall we?

Poch-top 5 to 15 managers currently
PSG - 1 of the 2 most expensive team (with the other being City)
Main rivals for the CL - City and Bayern being better, with liverpool around PSG’s level
Messi - 34 years old

Not reaching the CL final based on the above is failure in the eyes of some, again it is reasonable opinion as PSG is still one of the best teams with a good manager. Lets apply the same logic to the below then, rewind it back to 2011

Prime Mou- Just won the treble with Inter, rated amongst the top 3 managers in the world (together with SAF and Pep, no other managers came close to 3 of them back then)
Real Madrid - Just completed galatico II project, most expensive team in the world
Main rivals for the CL - Pep’s Barca being better. SAF United around the same level in the first year and Bayern is arguably better in the later years.
CR7 - in his prime, mid 20s

So if we are comparing apples to apples, if a 34 year old Messi not reaching the CL final in his 1st season in PSG with a non-top 5 manager Poch is a failure, then the younger and in his prime CR7’s 3 years with Madrid, which had a then top 3 manager, must be an abject utter failure in the CL for 3 straight years.
I will strike off 1 of those years for winning the la liga against Pep Barca, which is a great achievement, so its 2 years of utter failures in his prime.

Are you going to agree with it or are you going to dodge and change topics with your smiley faces again?
Sorry I've not been reading your posts fully.

I think the PL is better during the Jose, SAF, Wenger, Benitez and the numerous other teams rather than just simeone and Zidane.

Then your acting that this ex player experienced manager of Barcelona is shit when he got the job and won two titles in a row!

I never said Messi couldn't do it in the La Liga he did that with consistency - what I always want to see is how he would perform outside of that league, outside of that club, outside of that core tactics -

And I am so glad I have got my wish :D

Goodnight & merry Christmas mate!

Bebestation

not any different than Ronaldo with Juve:

Buffon: "Ronaldo was a great teammate but I feel like Juventus lost their DNA with him.

Hell. Even Bruno gets grief for falling off a cliff this season because he tries to cater to Ronaldo too much.
Oh right must be 1990's because Buffon is not on the pitch for them anymore - just the same as Neville or Ferdinand talking about us.

Anyway, it's not really trying to prove that Ronaldo is perfect - not even his biggest supporters think that;

It is to prove that all the people that thought that Messi is perfect and could do it anywhere, any time, against anyone is starting to get shown out bit by bit :devil:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
In fairness Bruno has gotten grief because he's been sloppy and all round poor this season, not because he's been catering to Ronaldo.
that’s fair, but it does seem like he plays like crap when paired with Ronaldo. He had a shocking euros as well. I know that’s more on Bruno than Ronaldo

432JuanMata

Pep's Barcelona were better in La Liga than Real Madrid under Zidane. I'm not sure who is disagreeing with that.
Also Zidanes Real was so successful as Ronaldo was just insane in that patch with CL winners in QF,SF and F. What that side did will not be matched.
Overall though the Barca side in Laliga was better it’s kind of like Pep at city, insane domestically but not the greatest in CL

432JuanMata

that’s fair, but it does seem like he plays like crap when paired with Ronaldo. He had a shocking euros as well. I know that’s more on Bruno than Ronaldo
Bruno is a player that will always be sloppy. The comparisons with KDB were weird as they are both the total opposite.
Even though Bruno was putting up insane numbers since here he is still sloppy in possession and in matches were he doesn’t get assists or goals he really stands out when poor.

As I said before KDB would of done worse here if he was in Bruno place since we signed him but also Bruno never gets into that City side as possession and keeping the ball is their priority.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

I think the PL is better during the Jose, SAF, Wenger, Benitez and the numerous other teams rather than just simeone and Zidane.

Then your acting that this ex player experienced manager of Barcelona is shit when he got the job and won two titles in a row!

I never said Messi couldn't do it in the La Liga he did that with consistency - what I always want to see is how he would perform outside of that league, outside of that club, outside of that core tactics -

Wenger's Arsenal was mediocre after Cole,Vieira, and Henry left...plus Benitez's Liverpool were never contenders for PL, except in one season.

Mourinho Chelsea was great in EPL, post-2009 Arsenal and Benitez's Liverpool NOPE.

So i read Man Utd fans before making fun of how mediocre was Arsenal post 2009 and how Benitez fluked the CL in 2005, but now it happens that were great teams, all to elevate Cristiano's figure...AMAZING

Gehrman

Wenger's Arsenal was mediocre after Cole,Vieira, and Henry left...plus Benitez's Liverpool were never contenders for PL, except in one season.

Mourinho Chelsea was great in EPL, post-2009 Arsenal and Benitez's Liverpool NOPE.

So i read Man Utd fans before making fun of how mediocre was Arsenal post 2009 and how Benitez fluked the CL in 2005, but now they are great teams, all to elevate Cristiano's figure...AMAZING
We we're 1 point and goal difference away from winning 4 pl titles in a row after Ronaldo left.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
All the new portuguese talents (Diaz,Bruno,Cancelo,Jota, and Felix) have been rubbish for Portugal, i think Bernardo Silva is the only one who has delivered.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina

I dont think you even understood what you are arguing against. The position of winning with a manager like Valverde is definitely harder that winning with a manager like SAF. I honestly cannot understand why it is that hard to admit this.

I mean I do not need to act like Valverde is shit, because he is not. But he is not on the level of Zidane and Simeone, not even close , while SAF was the best manager of the lot in the EPL with only Mou coming close.

Also great job dodging the Mou Real question, you are rather good at that I will give it to you

Status
Not open for further replies.