• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I dont need youtube videos to enjoy. I just saw him strolling around the park midweek when his team was losing while Ronaldo at 37 dragged his team to a victory in the premier league. How many goals does Messi have at the uber eats league again?
That''s 2022, Messi won BOD in 2021..
Ronaldo has been strolling since January until today in PL as well but after today he's definitely a BOD contender with that kind of performance in every 10 games with United 22 points behind City looking at his fans' posts.. The bar is that low for him, show a great performance in a single game god knows after how long, and now he is "the greatest ever" :lol:

PerezMasterclass

Supports
Real Madrid
It’s not that he’s better better than Messi, he’s greater. Messi might be better with the ball than anyone ever but Ronaldo is just a better competitor.

His 807 goals is in an obscene achievement especially for someone who started as an out and out winger. He revolutionized a winger’s role in a team set a new standard for the contribution expected of a wide player. Until of course he logically became a striker.

He’s certainly the most influential player I’ve seen in my lifetime, not only influential in games, but on younger players who are modeling themselves after him.
Nobody wants to be sulking Messi. Look at the greatest young players of this generation, they idolize Ronaldo, both Mbappe and Haaland look up to him. Everyone is inspired by Ronaldo. Only people who don't like Ronaldo is arrogant experts and journalists who comment on football and give out individual prizes. Messi is handed these prizes for stuff he did 10 years ago.

Righteous Steps

Ronaldo has done relatively little this season including drop to a level as an all round footballer Messi is not capable of, misplaced touches, failed dribbles his all round play has generally be average a hat trick tonight doesn’t suddenly make him better than Messi.

OleksUsykUD

Messi fanboys love to refer to his Balon D'ors. Office champion winning undeserved individual titles because he's the magical humble boy. How about his legacy as the face of:

- Losing 3-0 to Roma and being eliminated after winning 4-1 at Camp Nou

- Losing to Liverpool 4-0 after winning 3-0 at Camp Nou

- Losing 8-2!! against Bayern as the captain of his club

- Losing 3-1 to Real Madrid after being the face of the biggest project in football with PSG

Messi is a fraud, won the Balon D'or before VVD who just had made Liverpool into a winning side again winning the CL.

Winning Balon D'or over Lewandowski who dominated CL and scored a record amount of goals. Messi is a fecking FRAUD man, seeing him being exposed and ruining his legacy is beautiful to watch.
You clearly forget Wesley Sneijder and the biggest robbery of Balon D'ors in the history. Also Ronaldo not get the Balon D'ors and they gift it to Modric, when it was all staged with the supposed rape reports, just in time to screw Ronaldo and that would have put him lead over Messi.

Ronaldo always shows when his team is in tough situation, and always deliver. Also Ronaldo at his last 2 clubs is not used to his strength and to his preferable position at all.

Rojow

Typical reactivity. Let us not forget that we are still 4th with only 2 points more than Arsenal who have 4 games to play. Good for Ronaldo who scored 3 today, hopefully it's not just something from this game and it stays.

Braun_wight

Today Ronaldo scored three goals, Messi scored two goals in the Ligue 1 in all season.

So Ronaldo scored more goals in one game than Messi in the entire season in the Ligue 1. Isn't it funny?

That''s 2022, Messi won BOD in 2021..
Ronaldo has been strolling since January until today in PL as well but after today he's definitely a BOD contender with that kind of performance in every 10 games with United 22 points behind City looking at his fans' posts.. The bar is that low for him, show a great performance in a single game god knows after how long, and now he is "the greatest ever" :lol:
In 2021 Cr7 won The Best FIFA Award, his third one, while Messi has won only one. 3>1

https://footballtoday.com/wp-conten...ano-Ronaldo-won-the-prize-for-2021-scaled.jpg

IhabX7

Typical reactivity. Let us not forget that we are still 4th with only 2 points more than Arsenal who have 4 games to play. Good for Ronaldo who scored 3 today, hopefully it's not just something from this game and it stays.
Do you really hope so? I’m not sure.

cyberman

To be fair he has been getting into these positions for a while now, he’s just not finishing them. The frustrating thing about Ronaldo was that he was doing the hard part and missing the easy chances

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Messi at 34 was a Ballon D'or winner and an international tournament MVP. That version of Messi is miles clear of 2019 version of Ronaldo.
Mickey Mouse tournament, the nations league is arguably more competitive then the copa where either Brazil or Argentina are in the final every freaking time and a Balon d or that should have gone to Lewa. Ronaldo was fresh off a CL win at 34… scoring 2 in the final.

gibers

Mickey Mouse tournament and a Balon d or that should have gone to Lewa. Ronaldo was fresh off a CL win at 34… scoring 2 in the final.
Why bother lying to hype Ronaldo. He was 32 in that final he scored 2 against Juve...

At 34 he watched as Juve were dominated by Ajax.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
807 goals?

That is nuts in modern football.
He'll probably end up carrying on in whatever professional league he can until he's beat the numbers Pele and Romario reckon they've scored. :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Why bother lying to hype Ronaldo. He was 32 in that final he scored 2 against Juve...

He was 33. Sorry I was off by 6 months….sue me

Last edited:

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
37 years old and still breaking records.

In my opinion, Messi had the brightest peak (2008-15), but CR has had the longest and most impressive career (2006-202?). Scoring a hat-trick in the PL ain't peanuts; on the other hand, you have Messi doing nothing in the Ligue1.

This season is confirming it. Ronaldo whilst not as talented is still performing in yet another league and club. Messi is falling short again when the team isn't entirely built around him. Both incredible players but Ronaldo edges it for that.

bakalhau

I think the fairer assessment would be that Ronaldo was the only one up to standard against Ajax. He def wasn't watching, scored both goals from Juve in both games. That tie also came from a hattrick from him and a win against Atlético in the previous round.

But I don't wanna drag myself into a big discussion so I'll go back to lurking the thread. I think he has been better than Messi this season but I also think the difference in them right now is in their head and their desire to keep going, not in their ability.

To end my post, the more time passes through them, the more I just wanna enjoy and appreciate both. Messi's passing game against Madrid was just great to watch, and Ronaldo was amazing to watch today as well. We will keep diminishing the other player to elevate our personal choice until the day they retire. One day, we'll miss both of them.

gibers

I think the fairer assessment would be that Ronaldo was the only one up to standard against Ajax. He def wasn't watching, scored both goals from Juve in both games. That tie also came from a hattrick from him and a win against Atlético in the previous round.

But I don't wanna drag myself into a big discussion so I'll go back to lurking the thread. I think he has been better than Messi this season but I also think the difference in them right now is in their head and their desire to keep going, not in their ability.

To end my post, the more time passes through them, the more I just wanna enjoy and appreciate both. Messi's passing game against Madrid was just great to watch, and Ronaldo was amazing to watch today as well. We will keep diminishing the other player to elevate our personal choice until the day they retire. One day, we'll miss both of them.
They are both great. Ronaldo is lasting longer, but Messi's peak was higher

Braun_wight

Ronaldo watched as Juve were dominated by Ajax?

Ronaldo scored two goals against Ajax in that year, he scored in both legs, Messi this year at 34 years old watched as PSG got dominated by Real Madrid, he even missed a penalty and lost the ball that caused Real Madrid's third goal, the goal that knocked PSG out. So there's a huge difference between Ronaldo's performance against Ajax and Messi's poor performance against Madrid this year.

We can openly say Messi single-handedly knocked PSG out of the Champions League this year.

SportingCP96

Supports
He was 32 and a bit when he scored 2 goals against Juve in the final not 33. No need to make stuff up :houllier:
My friend. It is 2022. The final was played in 2018. That is a 4 year difference. Ronaldo is 37-4 is 33.

Are you ok? He was 33 years old and 6 months later he turned 34.

Like I said Ronaldo was better then Messi when he was the same age and he is better then Messi now at 37.

EDIT: I see the miscommunication, that is my fault Ronaldo played Liverpool in 2018 final, Juve was the year before. I was talking about the Games vs Juve where he scored the 2 goals in Italy and 1 in Spain in the 17/18 CL campaign.

My apologies.

jm99

My friend. It is 2022. The final was played in 2018. That is a 4 year difference. Ronaldo is 37-4 is 33.

Like I said Ronaldo was better then Messi when he was the same age and he is better then Messi now at 37.
You've mixed it up here the 2018 final was when they beat Liverpool, juventus was the year before. Too many champions League wins for Ronaldo, getting them confused

gibers

Again making stuff up

UEFA Champions League Final 16/17

The Juventus vs Real Madrid final was on 3 June 2017!

Why would you go this far?!

SportingCP96

Supports
You've mixed it up here the 2018 final was when they beat Liverpool, juventus was the year before. Too many champions League wins for Ronaldo, getting them confused
Ya I made an edit to the post when i caught my mistake. I was referring to the Juve game but not the final , the tie where he scored his infamous goal.

SirMonteyne

The weather plays a huge role for athletes, winter would be a nightmare for those who came from Spain and Italy. I hope they both and their muscles get used to this new environment. One last ride of this rivalry, please.

MalaysianRed7

I think the worldwide general consensus that Ronaldo is the best scorer, but Messi is the best scorer is nonsense and actually somewhat patronising. Ronaldo is the best, period. Messi’s 2012 year where he didn’t even win La Liga or the CL doesn’t change that.

Ronaldo has done it in 4 leagues, Messi one. Ronaldo has won more Champions Leagues. Ronaldo has more Fifa TheBest awards. Ronaldo has done more for his country, one with a much less illustrious footballing history than Argentina before both of them came along. And most importantly, Ronaldo is always, ALWAYS, the man for the big occasion.

1) Ronaldo
2) Messi
3) R9

No clue about Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Maradona and other players of days gone by. I’ve only seen the odd brilliant highlight.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I think the worldwide general consensus that Ronaldo is the best scorer, but Messi is the best scorer is nonsense and actually somewhat patronising. Ronaldo is the best, period. Messi’s 2012 year where he didn’t even win La Liga or the CL doesn’t change that.

Ronaldo has done it in 4 leagues, Messi one. Ronaldo has won more Champions Leagues. Ronaldo has more Fifa TheBest awards. Ronaldo has done more for his country, one with a much less illustrious footballing history than Argentina before both of them came along. And most importantly, Ronaldo is always, ALWAYS, the man for the big occasion.

1) Ronaldo
2) Messi
3) R9

No clue about Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Maradona and other players of days gone by. I’ve only seen the odd brilliant highlight.
Ballon D'or: Messi 7 > Ronaldo 5
Golden Shoe: Messi 6 > Ronaldo 4
Pichichi: Messi 5 > Ronaldo 3
IFFHS Best Playmakes: Messi 4> Ronaldo 0
International Tournament MVP: Messi 5 > Ronaldo 0
IFFHS Playmaker of the Decade: Messi
La Liga Best Player Award: Messi 6 > Ronaldo 1

All this difference while Messi is a playmaker first (one of the greatest ever) and one of the top 3 dribblers ever. The only area Ronaldo can compete is the goal scoring and even in that area Messi has an edge with more Pichichis and Golden Shoes.. In terms of style, elegance, technique, creativity Ronaldo does not come close to Messi, Maradona, Cruyff type of players and that's also a big deal for most football fans (an unfortunate reality for Ronaldo fans)..

Most people would refuse to call a player GOAT who has limited creativity, technique or any playmaking skills that's why the majority of the football world goes with Messi, even some of Ronaldo's former teammates. I do not even think most fans who saw Maradona would think Ronaldo is better than Maradona, too much of a talent/elegance gap..

Ronaldo proving in other leagues does not mean anything when Messi is a GOAT level playmaker+dribbler+goal scorer whereas Ronaldo is just a GOAT level goal scorer. His Juve and this United experiments are all considered mistakes. But, yeah, he had a great game today after 10+ poor games, and the whole perception changes here as usual :lol:

Ronaldo being "always" the man for the big occasion is sorry but a big BS, he frequently ghosted in the CL finals only to be bailed out by heroics of Ramos, Bale and even Karius. The guy did not even play in the EC final for more than 20 minutes in the EC final yet gets all the credit.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Even if Messi retired in 2012 and Ronaldo continues like he does until he's 40, it wouldn't be close to me. Ronaldo was always only able to compete with Messi on scoring sheets but not on the football pitch. He's an incredible player but lacks the overall influence that other greats have had.

So to me it's a bit funny that Ronaldo supporters still come in this thread everytime he scores two or three and proclaim he's the better player. The story of both players is already written and the idea that he could catch up with Messi by scoring decently up until a high age is just a testament to the fact that those people still don't get what made Messi the player he is/was.

Let's be real, the ship has sailed now both are players have declined drastically. Ronaldo would have to achieve a significantly higher level than in the early 2010s to change my mind and he can barely show his 2016+ form once in 5 games or so. I'd probably still take the Messi from last season over every iteration of CR7.

L1nk

Even if Messi retired in 2012 and Ronaldo continues like he does until he's 40, it wouldn't be close to me. Ronaldo was always only able to compete with Messi on scoring sheets but not on the football pitch. He's an incredible player but lacks the overall influence that other greats have had.

So to me it's a bit funny that Ronaldo supporters still come in this thread everytime he scores two or three and proclaim he's the better player. The story of both players is already written and the idea that he could catch up with Messi by scoring decently up until a high age is just a testament to the fact that those people still don't get what made Messi the player he is/was.

Let's be real, the ship has sailed now both are players have declined drastically. Ronaldo would have to achieve a significantly higher level than in the early 2010s to change my mind and he can barely show his 2016+ form once in 5 games or so.
How can he lack the overall influence when all of the goals he's scored has contributed to, for example, Real Madrid winning the CL 3 x in a row, La Liga's, Premier Leagues, Serie A's as well as leading his country to a Euro's. He has an unrivalled winning mentality and dedication to the fitness in the game, he's pretty much an inspiring figure for multiple athletes worldwide football and otherwise, hell even Kylian Mbappe idolises him, oh as well as people outside of the sport.

I'm not going to disagree with you I think Messi is the naturally more gifted player, we are so very lucky to see them both in their primes in our lifetime. Anytime Messi had the ball it was just complete and utter magic, Ronaldo is a fantastic player, arguably the second best to ever play the game based on pure achievement alone, but Messi is definitely number 1. The only thing I'm going to say is, Messi did virtually all of this at Barcelona, a league that, at the time, was barely competitive and he did it surrounded by arguably one of the best teams to ever play football with one of the best midfields to ever play football. I don't mean this to take anything away from Messi of course but the guy has never tested himself outside of his comfort zone. Ronaldo has done all he has done in 4 different leagues, 5 stints at 4 different clubs, with various degrees of challenges and he's dominated in every single one.

Now at the twilights of their career as you say, Ronaldo is smashing it in an absolutely appalling team, for the most part, in the Premier League and the CL and is pretty much the reason we are still as "competitive" as we are, without him we wouldn't have got out of the CL group. Messi looks completely out of it at PSG amongst all those megastars, PSG wouldn't miss him if he wasn't there.

Again, won't argue, Messi should really be #1 based on pure natural gifted footballing ability, but lets not take anything away from Ronaldo and all that he has - and still continues - to achieve.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Let's be real, the ship has sailed now both are players have declined drastically. Ronaldo would have to achieve a significantly higher level than in the early 2010s to change my mind and he can barely show his 2016+ form once in 5 games or so. I'd probably still take the Messi from last season over every iteration of CR7.
And that is why, with all due respect to all your other opinions, your take on Messi vs Ronaldo is incredibly biased and borderline insane. I believe you're the guy who said Ronaldo's top ten goal compilation isn't even that impressive and Neymar is better. Think you just surpassed all of that now again!

It's okay. You can cling onto your uber eats league star. The rest of us are seeing the reality.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
How can he lack the overall influence when all of the goals he's scored has contributed to, for example, Real Madrid winning the CL 3 x in a row, La Liga's, Premier Leagues, Serie A's as well as leading his country to a Euro's. He has an unrivalled winning mentality and dedication to the fitness in the game, he's pretty much an inspiring figure for multiple athletes worldwide football and otherwise, hell even Kylian Mbappe idolises him, oh as well as people outside of the sport.

I'm not going to disagree with you I think Messi is the naturally more gifted player, we are so very lucky to see them both in their primes in our lifetime. Anytime Messi had the ball it was just complete and utter magic, Ronaldo is a fantastic player, arguably the second best to ever play the game based on pure achievement alone, but Messi is definitely number 1. The only thing I'm going to say is, Messi did virtually all of this at Barcelona, a league that, at the time, was barely competitive and he did it surrounded by arguably one of the best teams to ever play football with one of the best midfields to ever play football. I don't mean this to take anything away from Messi of course but the guy has never tested himself outside of his comfort zone. Ronaldo has done all he has done in 4 different leagues, 5 stints at 4 different clubs, with various degrees of challenges and he's dominated in every single one.

Now at the twilights of their career as you say, Ronaldo is smashing it in an absolutely appalling team, for the most part, in the Premier League and the CL and is pretty much the reason we are still as "competitive" as we are, without him we wouldn't have got out of the CL group. Messi looks completely out of it at PSG amongst all those megastars, PSG wouldn't miss him if he wasn't there.

Again, won't argue, Messi should really be #1 based on pure natural gifted footballing ability, but lets not take anything away from Ronaldo and all that he has - and still continues - to achieve.
Even as someone who has Ronaldo #1 I think this is the most balanced take. My reason for Ronaldo being number one is because I value results, big game step up and transforming a side greater values when judging a true #1 player. That's not to say Messi has none of that, but just not at Ronaldo's level imo.

What's funny is how some Messi fans like @Zehner like to remind folks they "just don't understand" Messi. They do this while reducing Ronaldo to nothing but a goal machine. In reality, it's fairly easy to see what makes Messi a GOAT contender. Even a first time football watcher would attest to it. However, It takes a bit of nuance and understanding to really know why Ronaldo is regarded as highly as he is.

genardk

Supports
Juventus

Some Ronaldo fans sometimes say Messi has depended heavily on players like Xavi & Iniesta under Guardiola and without them would not achieve much..
Below is what he achieved when they both left (Xavi in 2015 & Iniesta in 2018) starting with 2018-2019 with a mediocre Barca squad.. Also keep in mind, Koeman, Valverde's and others' game plans are not the same as Guardiola's.

2019 Ballon D'or
2021 Ballon D'or
2019 Golden Shoe
2019 IFFHS best playmaker
2020 & 2021 IFFHS best playmaker (2.)
2019 Champions League Top Goal Scorer- 12 gol
2019-2020-2021 Pichichi - La Liga Top Goal Scorer (3 years in a row - same number Ronaldo had in 9 years at Real)
2019-2020 La Liga most assists (2 years in a row)
2021 La Liga most assists (2.)

2014 WC MVP
2015-2021 Copa MVP
2008 Olympics MVP

That comfort zone argument never made any sense for me tbh when Ronaldo does not have any playmaking skills or special passing skills/vision etc. For me, Ronaldo has not been leaving his comfort zone (playing as a striker/poacher) coming deeper in the midfield trying to dictate the game when his team needs that as he lacks the technique to be able to do that. Messi has way more responsibilities than Ronaldo, and for Messi to be considered to have a good game, he needs to do way more than Ronaldo. For ex., nobody would say Messi had a good game if he scores a tap-in and is invisible otherwise..

Other than Guardiola, Messi never had the chance to work with top managers such as SAF, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Zidane or Allegri. You know managers matter a lot in this game. Most Ronaldo fans began to realize the importance of managers when Ronaldo began working under Pirlo & Ole.. They would never consider the impact of managers for years when Barca was being managed by mediocre managers.

Ronaldo's experience at Juve and current United just showed us how much he needs to have an amazing Real & United team under SAF to win CL titles and to be competitive in the league which is not surprising.

Last edited:

MalaysianRed7

Ballon D'or: Messi 7 > Ronaldo 5
Golden Shoe: Messi 6 > Ronaldo 4
Pichichi: Messi 5 > Ronaldo 3
IFFHS Best Playmakes: Messi 4> Ronaldo 0
International Tournament MVP: Messi 5 > Ronaldo 0
IFFHS Playmaker of the Decade: Messi
La Liga Best Player Award: Messi 6 > Ronaldo 1

All this difference while Messi is a playmaker first (one of the greatest ever) and one of the top 3 dribblers ever. The only area Ronaldo can compete is the goal scoring and even in that area Messi has an edge with more Pichichis and Golden Shoes.. In terms of style, elegance, technique, creativity Ronaldo does not come close to Messi, Maradona, Cruyff type of players and that's also a big deal for most football fans (an unfortunate reality for Ronaldo fans)..

Most people would refuse to call a player GOAT who has limited creativity, technique or any playmaking skills that's why the majority of the football world goes with Messi, even some of Ronaldo's former teammates. I do not even think most fans who saw Maradona would think Ronaldo is better than Maradona, too much of a talent/elegance gap..

Ronaldo proving in other leagues does not mean anything when Messi is a GOAT level playmaker+dribbler+goal scorer whereas Ronaldo is just a GOAT level goal scorer. His Juve and this United experiments are all considered mistakes. But, yeah, he had a great game today after 10+ poor games, and the whole perception changes here as usual :lol:

Ronaldo being "always" the man for the big occasion is sorry but a big BS, he frequently ghosted in the CL finals only to be bailed out by heroics of Ramos, Bale and even Karius. The guy did not even play in the EC final for more than 20 minutes in the EC final yet gets all the credit.
Ronaldo from 2006-2014 (the year he decided to become a machine) excited me more than Messi ever has. No, the dribbling wasn’t on Messi’s level, but his explosiveness was breathtaking and some of the skills he pulled off were just mad. So that absolutely debunks him being nothing more than a robotic, Gerd Muller-like player. It’s also absolutely mad that you think Ronaldo’s technique isn’t close to the players you mentioned; technique isn’t just dribbling past 10 players, it can also be striking a ball in its purest form and other things like that, in which Ronaldo is unmatched.

And what about heading technique, jumping reach etc? Ronaldo has no equal in these aspects as well. Imagine jumping two times higher than 20+ year old defenders in the most physical league in the world, at 37. He’s an absolute freak of nature.

Also, I simply can’t believe that you think Ronaldo isn’t always the man for the big occasion. Not scoring in CL finals doesn’t mean playing badly, and notwithstanding that, he still has more CL final goals than Messi, alongside more semi final, quarter final and round of 16 goals. He is the top scorer in the CL by a countrymile, and has more goals than Messi in international tournaments, of which he’s won two of, one more than Messi. Messi scoring 300000 goals against Eibar, Granada and Mallorca in his comfort zone, or you bringing up Messi’s Playmaker of The Year awards (wtf?) won’t change that.

Last but not least, Ronaldo moving to Juventus and back here are considered as mistakes by the fans? Good grief, he was the fastest player in history to reach 100 goals for Juventus, and I dare you ask anyone here whether he’s a failure with his 17 goals this season or not. If that’s failure, then I dread to think what Messi’s move to PSG has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.