• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
At this point, whether we want to admit it or not, we can all agree that Ronaldo is a better player than messi; messi is great, Ronaldo is greater...but, that shouldn't stop us from appreciating these two phenomenons, they've defined this modern era of football and have set the pace for the upcoming generations.
We should just enjoy them both without the cyber fisticuffs
Haha this post is so full of shite that I laughed out loud reading this.

Red Stone

In fact, Diego Simeone has conceded five hat-tricks in his entire managerial career. Four were obviously Ronaldo, and the other player to have done it was Martin Palermo (of penalty missing fame) in a game between Simeone's Estudiantes and Boca Juniors back in March 2007.

RepardReece

Haha this post is so full of shite that I laughed out loud reading this.
Makes me laugh how people generally believe that.

They are both as good as each other at goalscoring and finishing, the goals speak for themselves there. But Messi does so much more in his game, and still scores the same amount. He's a much more creative player and watching him is absolutely beautiful.

surf

They are still hands down the best players on the planet and equally great in their different ways. Reminds me a little of men's tennis where the best players are also in their 30's.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I wonder what would they think of each other when they retired.

Messi: "I have already been playing like a football god throughout my career, perform like Maradona, score goals like Pele, and win trophies like Di Stefano, whatever you can imagine... but this Cristiano, who is less talent than me, matches me in everything... goals, trophies, individual honours.. he even outshines me in the most important competition, CL, throughout my career"

Ronaldo: "I have already reach multiple heights in my career, done all the impossible and unimaginable against all odds, winning everything in sight, playing like a super human for over a decade, and breaking every records out there...all I want is to become best player in the world... but this Messi, matches me in everything, and people still regards him as the better player... even after all the crazy things I have achieved"

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
And what has City down in CL to have this kind of respect and pin down juventus with 85% possession :lol: it's not like they have been in 2 finals in the last 3 years.

The truth is Juventus would be the worst match up for both Barca and City. Because they are the most tactically flexible team remaining in the competcompet.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I wonder what would they think of each other when they retired.

Messi: "I have already been playing like a football god throughout my career, perform like Maradona, score goals like Pele, and win trophies like Di Stefano, whatever you can imagine... but this Cristiano, who is less talent than me, matches me in everything... goals, trophies, individual honours.. he even outshines me in the most important competition, CL, throughout my career"

Ronaldo: "I have already reach multiple heights in my career, done all the impossible and unimaginable against all odds, winning everything in sight, playing like a super human for over a decade, and breaking every records out there...all I want is to become best player in the world... but this Messi, matches me in everything, and people still regards him as the better player... even after all the crazy things I have achieved"
Wtf, really dumb post.

Messi has more trophies, destroys Ronaldo in head to head and as for Ronaldo “winning everything imaginable” he hasn’t even scored in the knockout stage of the WC (neither has Messi) let alone win one, so really weird for you to say he’s won everything imaginable.

When Messi and Ronaldo share the pitch the far far more memorable moments have come from Messi time and time again.

Ronaldo has fared better in CL in recent years no doubt but Messi also has a better h2h in CL over Ronaldo as well career wise. Doesn’t mean Messi is a better CL player but your fake Ronaldo quote was full of so much crap haha

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Wtf, really dumb post.

Messi has more trophies, destroys Ronaldo in head to head and as for Ronaldo “winning everything imaginable” he hasn’t even scored in the knockout stage of the WC (neither has Messi) let alone win one, so really weird for you to say he’s won everything imaginable.

When Messi and Ronaldo share the pitch the far far more memorable moments have come from Messi time and time again.

Ronaldo has fared better in CL in recent years no doubt but Messi also has a better h2h in CL over Ronaldo as well career wise. Doesn’t mean Messi is a better CL player but your fake Ronaldo quote was full of so much crap haha
He's played for a better team for 95% of his career. It might be news to you but the better teams usually win more often. Not everyone can be the one player to have a 10-15 year period with better teammates around him than any other player in the history of the sport.

As the star of a team, for the entirity of their careers Ronaldo's been more successful with a worse team around him. I can only imagine what it would have been like had Ronaldo had the huge privilige that is playing for Barcelona in the past 10-15 years and if he had been born in a country like Argentina on top of it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He's played for a better team for 95% of his career. It might be news to you but the better teams usually win more often. Not everyone can be the one player to have a 10-15 year period with better teammates around him than any other player in the history of the sport.

As the star of a team, for the entirity of their careers Ronaldo's been more successful with a worse team around him. I can only imagine what it would have been like had Ronaldo had the huge privilige that is playing for Barcelona in the past 10-15 years and if he had been born in a country like Argentina on top of it.
Imagine if Messi got to play with peak Modric and Kroos, one of the best CL scorers of all time where Benzema is top 5, Ramos is one of the greatest scoring defenders of all time and have the luxury of being mediocre in several CL finals
but having teammates actually finish their chances. Even guys like Eder magically score in a euro final. Pepe was one of the best defenders of his generation.

95% of messi’s Career with the better team is an absolute joke. Pep era Barca were better but after he left it was a coin toss where Barca had a better front 3 but Madrid were just as talented everywhere else.

United were heavy favorites over Barca in 2009 and came up short. The only “amazing” Barca team post 2012 was the 2015 squad. Madrid have been humiliated tons of times by Barca. And no, the talent between the two teams wasn’t nearly what the scoreline should’ve been for many of
Those Clasico’s.

Madrid’s core is aging now but Ronaldo had hands down the best midfield in the world for the past 5 years or so. Bale is one of the few players who has scored in multiple CL finals, Benzema who sucks in La Liga but is great in CL is a top 5 CL scorer of ALL TIME in total goals. Ramos has had some of the biggest goals in a CL final this decade, and even Marcelo is up there. The whole squad was very good in CL, not just Ronaldo carrying a bunch of bums.

Last edited:

shahzy

Wtf, really dumb post.

I dislike posters who make posts like these. Like wtf is this fanboy shit. Im assuming you're a grown ass man, its quite clear the guy who wrote the post you're quoting meant it in a fun and jovial way and yet we have a Messi fanboy who find offence to it and goes on with a diatribe of nonsense. I thought Ronaldo fanboys were bad back in the day, im confident the messi ones are much worse now.

Perhaps its to do with the player who's seen as 2nd whilst the other is getting all the coverage. Whoever that player is, his toxic fans become worse and worse. It used to be Ronaldo's fanboys who were toxic back 5-6 years ago when Ronaldo was seen as the clear 2nd best to messi and Messi had all the Balon D'ors. Now the last 5 years Ronaldo has won CL after CL's and the Euro's and now the Messi fanboys are the most toxic.

Please piss off with this type of shit and can we just enjoy the two guys together? There isn't too much longer until both call it a day and we are left with the likes of fkn Neymar (Lord have mercy on us) as the best player in the world.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I dislike posters who make posts like these. Like wtf is this fanboy shit. Im assuming you're a grown ass man, its quite clear the guy who wrote the post you're quoting meant it in a fun and jovial way and yet we have a Messi fanboy who find offence to it and goes on with a diatribe of nonsense. I thought Ronaldo fanboys were bad back in the day, im confident the messi ones are much worse now.

Perhaps its to do with the player who's seen as 2nd whilst the other is getting all the coverage. Whoever that player is, his toxic fans become worse and worse. It used to be Ronaldo's fanboys who were toxic back 5-6 years ago when Ronaldo was seen as the clear 2nd best to messi and Messi had all the Balon D'ors. Now the last 5 years Ronaldo has won CL after CL's and the Euro's and now the Messi fanboys are the most toxic.

Please piss off with this type of shit and can we just enjoy the two guys together? There isn't too much longer until both call it a day and we are left with the likes of fkn Neymar (Lord have mercy on us) as the best player in the world.
Wtf, his original post was ridiculous. Red Ronaldo is a HUGE Ronaldo homer. Nothing wrong with that, but pretty stupid to not see the Ronaldo and Messi quotes as fanboy stuff and yet I’m the one who’s toxic? Get outta here with that junk

shahzy

Wtf, his original post was ridiculous. Red Ronaldo is a HUGE Ronaldo homer. Nothing wrong with that, but pretty stupid to not see the Ronaldo and Messi quotes as fanboy stuff and yet I’m the one who’s toxic? Get outta here with that junk
You're really going out of your way to solidify my point. So emotionally involved that you fail to see those aren't "Quotes" but merely what that OP thinks each player will say at the end of their careers... Neither Messi nor Ronaldo has ever said that so why are you so upset? You have clearly charged in to replying to me and that OP without comprehending at all.
Take a break mate, you're strung as tight as they come. Relax, football is just a game after all.

Like i said i don't care for either Ronaldo or Messi fanboys. Just be civil about it. Its ok to have different preferences but please dont shove it down someone else's throat. There's another guy on here who is a Barca fan who does the same and frankly its really not the best avenue for discussion.

peace, have a good one

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You're really going out of your way to solidify my point. So emotionally involved that you fail to see those aren't "Quotes" but merely what that OP thinks each player will say at the end of their careers... Neither Messi nor Ronaldo has ever said that so why are you so upset? You have clearly charged in to replying to me and that OP without comprehending at all.
Take a break mate, you're strung as tight as they come. Relax, football is just a game after all.

Like i said i don't care for either Ronaldo or Messi fanboys. Just be civil about it. Its ok to have different preferences but please dont shove it down someone else's throat. There's another guy on here who is a Barca fan who does the same and frankly its really not the best avenue for discussion.

peace, have a good one
Dude read the fake quotes again, look:

Messi: "but this Cristiano, who is less talent than me, matches me in everything... goals, trophies, individual honours.. he even outshines me in the most important competition, CL, throughout my career”

That’s obviously a dig, even as a joke Messi saying Ronaldo outshining him in CL would never happen even if Ronaldo has in recent years.

You must have reading comprehension issues if you think it’s “jovial fun” and anyone who responds to it was toxic.

It’s just a message board but if “toxic fans” bug you so much even if you can’t tell who the toxic Ronaldo fans are you are better off wasting your 5 posts a day on other topics.

Have a good one.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wtf, really dumb post.

I never mentioned head to head did I? And who would compare such stats anyway? Why need breakout it down into 100 minor details to compare? Is it even necessary to argue that way? or rather just look at the overall picture and put personal bias/agenda aside?

Anyway, are you ready for the fact? (goals, trophies, individual honours, records)

Individual honours (Ballon D'or):
Messi 5 vs Ronaldo 5
-> match!

Goals (club career total):
Messi 588 vs Ronaldo 597
-> match!

Trophies won (minor + major):
Messi 32 vs Ronaldo 27
-> Messi slightly better but only few trophies apart (5), and we also count those trophies (4) Messi didn't involve much (from 2004-2006), so its almost the same

Individual Records:
Messi 120+ vs Ronaldo 150+
-> Ronaldo better but he plays in more countries

Overall: match!

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I never mentioned head to head did it? And who would compare such stats anyway? Why need breakout it down into 100 minor details to compare? Is it even necessary to argue that way? or rather just look at the overall picture to put personal bias aside?

Anyway, are you ready for the fact? (goals, trophies, individual honours, records)

Individual honours (Ballon D'or):
Messi 5 vs Ronaldo 5
-> match!

Goals (career total):
Messi 599 vs Ronaldo 597
-> match!

Trophies won (minor + major):
Messi 32 vs Ronaldo 27
-> Messi slightly better but only few trophies apart

Individual Records:
Messi 120+ vs Ronaldo 150+
-> Ronaldo better

Overall: match!
Dude. You’re saying “I have more trophies than him” and yet you show the opposite in your response. Your quote doesn’t even make sense. Ronaldo has played far more games than Messi, funny how you omit assists.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Imagine if Messi got to play with peak Modric and Kroos, one of the best CL scorers of all time where Benzema is top 5, Ramos is one of the greatest scoring defenders of all time and have the luxury of being mediocre in several CL finals
but having teammates actually finish their chances. Even guys like Eder magically score in a euro final.
He'd have got to be average while injured in finals if he actually got there with a much better team. Does having the best team of all time ring a bell???? Does having the best front 3 any team will ever have ring a bell? Where were the 4 Champions League titles then? Hell, where the hell were the finals? How come the best player of all time has spent 10-15 years at Barcelona, had the best team any superstar can hope for and managed to only play 3 Champions League finals in his entire career while winning feck all with his country? If Messi could have done half as much with the best team of all time around him than Ronaldo did with a pretty good team around him I wouldn't even hold it against him.

Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol were winning the Champions League with Messi and fecking off in the summer to dominate international football as they pleased. Marcelo, Ramos, Kroos and Modric without Ronaldo get one humiliation after the other. But no... Ronaldo was the lucky one for playing with Toni fecking Kroos? Are you mad?

Still not as bad as the biggest lie ever told in this sport though... the MSN vs BBC rivalry. That was one beautiful. Somehow that was made to seem as if they were standing on even ground too.

95% of messi’s Career with the better team is an absolute joke. United were heavy favorites over Barca in 2009 and came up short.
Heavy favourites? Were they feck, do you know what being a heavy favourite is? Barca had a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta while United were crying over Darren Fletcher's suspension.

https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/europe/champions-league-2008-2009/results/

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Messi had a better team around him than Ronaldo for at the very least 95% of his entire career. And his contribution in big titles pales in comparison.

Madrid’s core is aging now but Ronaldo had hands down the best midfield in the world for the past 5 years or so.
Best midfield in the world... You should be embarassed to keep that up.

The midfield that was getting spanked around by Barcelona's midfield every single time they met was the best midfield in the world? Were they feck. How great was Real Madrid's squad, it was perfect, two incredible fullbacks, the best centreback of the generation, the best midfield in the world.. Propaganda bollocks for years... where are they now? One year where they were the best midfield in the world. ONE. 2016-17. And they needed an in form Isco in there to overcrowd it.

If Rakitic had been playing next to Ronaldo he'd have won the Ballon D'Or last year. Wasn't any worse than Modric in 2018 but the media doesn't quite work that way. Didn't take long for everything to change though did it? Turns out Cancelo might be the best fullback in the world instead of Marcelo too.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You are the one who is taking it personally and emotionally. Those fake quotes are supposed to sums up the popular views and facts.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Dude. You’re saying “I have more trophies than him” and yet you show the opposite in your response. Your quote doesn’t even make sense. Ronaldo has played far more games than Messi, funny how you omit assists.
I didn't say that. You misread and misinterpret it.

Assists? Sure

Ronaldo has more assists in CL (42 vs 30)

Messi has more assists in league (161 vs 134).

Their all time club career assists stats is like: Messi 230 vs Ronaldo 190,

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He'd have got to be average in finals if he actually got there with a much better team. Does having the best team of all time ring a bell???? Does having the best front 3 any team will ever have ring a bell? Where were the 4 Champions League titles then? Hell, where the hell were the finals? How come the best player of all time has spent 10-15 years at Barcelona, had the best team any superstar can hope for and managed to only play 3 Champions League finals in his entire career? If Messi could have done half as much with the best team of all time around him than Ronaldo did with a pretty good team around him I wouldn't even hold it against him.

Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol were winning the Champions League with Messi and fecking off in the summer to dominate international football as they pleased. Marcelo, Ramos, Kroos and Modric without Ronaldo get one humiliation after the other. But no... Ronaldo was the lucky one for playing with Toni fecking Kroos? Are you mad?

Still not as bad as the biggest lie ever told in this sport though... the MSN vs BBC rivalry. That was one beautiful. Somehow that was made to seem as if they were standing on even ground too.

Heavy favourites? Were they feck, do you know what being a heavy favourite is? Barca had a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta while United were crying over Darren Fletcher's suspension.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Messi had a better team around him than Ronaldo for at the very least 95% of his entire career. And his contribution in big titles pales in comparison.

Best midfield in the world my arse. You should be embarassed to keep that up.

The midfield that was getting spanked around by Barcelona's midfield every single time they met was the best midfield in the world? Were they feck. How great was Real Madrid's squad, it was perfect, two incredible fullbacks, the best centreback of the generation, the best midfield in the world.. Propaganda bollocks for years... where the feck are they now? One year where they were the best midfield in the world, 2016-17. ONE. And they needed Isco in there to overcrowd it.

If Rakitic had been playing next to Ronaldo he'd have won the Ballon D'Or last year. Wasn't any worse than Modric in 2018 but the media doesn't quite work that way...
He'd have got to be average in finals if he actually got there with a much better team. Does having the best team of all time ring a bell???? Does having the best front 3 any team will ever have ring a bell? Where were the 4 Champions League titles then? Hell, where the hell were the finals? How come the best player of all time has spent 10-15 years at Barcelona, had the best team any superstar can hope for and managed to only play 3 Champions League finals in his entire career? If Messi could have done half as much with the best team of all time around him than Ronaldo did with a pretty good team around him I wouldn't even hold it against him.

Best midfield in the world my arse. You should be embarassed to keep that up.

The midfield that was getting spanked around by Barcelona's midfield every single time they met was the best midfield in the world? Were they feck. How great was Real Madrid's squad, it was perfect, two incredible fullbacks, the best centreback of the generation, the best midfield in the world.. Propaganda bollocks for years... where the feck are they now? One year where they were the best midfield in the world, 2016-17. ONE. And they needed Isco in there to overcrowd it.

If Rakitic had been playing next to Ronaldo he'd have won the Ballon D'Or last year. Wasn't any worse than Modric in 2018 but the media doesn't quite work that way...

And you who were also dominating international football around that time? The other half of the Madrid team, but sure if it fits your narrative, Ronaldo played with bums and has beens. Thank god who carried a bunch of nobodies :lol:

It's INSANE how much you downplay Madrid's midfield. Absolutley comical.

How "great" were Neymar and Suarez in those CL years outside of 2015? Suarez literally hasn't scored in the CL in YEARS. Meanwhile Ronaldo plays with some of the most celebrated CL players of ALL TIME.

Madrid HAD the best midfield in the world 2014 onward. It wasn't their midfield getting spanked, it was some hilariously bad tactics from Rafa, and mostly Messi who influenced those ties. Kroos was winning world cups, Modric was immense.

I ALWAYS said MSN >> BBC, but everywhere else you take Madrid over an aging Iniesta, and I absolutely take Madrid's backline during that era over Barca's, no question.

And your "best team imaginable" he managed 2 CL's in the four years Pep was there and two respectable semi finals that were barely lost to EVENTUAL CHAMPIONS.

You're insane if you rate 2013 and 2014 and 2017 Barca as "best teams ever".

Ronaldo was on an insanely stacked team from 2014 onward, and yes, a team with FAR more depth than Barca. Barca had a very poor bench 2015 onward and it wasn't until this season where you could say Barca's bench is better than Madrid's.

As for midfield, during THREE years Enrique was in charge Barca would literally BYPASS the midfield entirely because they weren't good enough. Barca had their worst possession stats and played more direct than ever because their midfield could not cut it anymore. Only Rakitic was a great "under 30" signing for the midfield. The rest of the time we had dross like Andre Gomes starting matches along with Matthieu. But I'm sure you'll say those guys were better than Modric and Marcelo.

Madrid had key contributions from all over in CL, outside of 2015 Barca's were 90% Messi and not much else. Ronaldo was immense for scoring for Madrid in CL, but Modric, Kroos, Bale, Ramos, and Marcelo all shone wonderfully during those years.

Ronaldo has been very very fortunate that even when he plays poorly his teammates show up.

He was obviously a big reason for them making those finals, but if Messi played the way Ronaldo did after the quarter finals last year absolutely no way does Barca win a CL. But Bale and Ramos always show up on the biggest stage.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You are the one who is taking it personally and emotionally. Those fake quotes are supposed to sums up the popular views and facts.
So Ronaldo having more trophies is a popular view? Your made up quotes were rubbish, at least make them funny so we can all laugh. Instead of just seeing what sticks.

No hard feelings.

And for the record, Ronaldo was incredible yesterday.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So Ronaldo having more trophies is a popular view? Your made up quotes were rubbish, at least make them funny so we can all laugh. Instead of just seeing what sticks.

No hard feelings.

And for the record, Ronaldo was incredible yesterday.
Quote me, where did I say Ronaldo has more trophies? I only said matches, but never said he has more.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well you said "matches me in everything, trophies" but 5 trophy difference isn't "tiny".
Well 3 or 4 of those 5 trophies are won by Ronaldinho generation with Messi sitting on the bench most of the time in bit part role, if you count those as "huge" difference, good on you.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Huge couple of nights. Both superb performances in different ways.

Still an easy choice for me in terms of GOAT, but it is what it is.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Well 3 or 4 of those 5 trophies are won by Ronaldinho generation with Messi sitting on the bench most of the time in bit part role, if you count those as "huge" difference, good on you.
Fair enough RedRonaldo, but Ronaldo's biggest trophy had him on the bench for 90% of it before Eder brought it home.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fair enough RedRonaldo, but Ronaldo's biggest trophy had him on the bench for 90% of it before Eder brought it home.
We are not arguing that again are we. Ronaldo has played over 90% of the matches/minutes in the competition, contribute like over 60% of his team goals, and was voted in team of the tournament. He is definitely not having a bit part role, but only unlucky got injured in the early first half of the final. Its like saying Keane has nothing to do with our 1999 CL glory.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We are not arguing that again are we. Ronaldo has played over 90% of the matches/minutes in the competition, contribute like over 60% of his team goals, and was voted in team of the tournament. He is definitely not having a bit part role, but only unlucky got injured in the early first half of the final. Its like saying Keane has nothing to do with our 1999 CL glory.
I’m just messing with you, Ronaldo was a huge part of getting them to that final

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
As for midfield, during THREE years Enrique was in charge Barca would literally BYPASS the midfield entirely because they weren't good enough. Barca had their worst possession stats and played more direct than ever because their midfield could not cut it anymore. Only Rakitic was a great "under 30" signing for the midfield. The rest of the time we had dross like Andre Gomes starting matches along with Matthieu. But I'm sure you'll say those guys were better than Modric and Marcelo.
Remember Illarramendi? Lucas Silva? Lass Diarra? Semi-retired Guti? Semi-retired Michael Essien? Sahin?

Those were Madrid's Andre Gomes. Not Luka fecking Modric. Instead of Modric Barca had just some guy called Iniesta.

Mathieu? Albiol... How about having a defense that can actually defend? That would have been nice.

Tell me whatever names you want, Madrid had it worse and there isn't a shred of doubt about it. Messi had a simple big advantage over Ronaldo, better teammates. The fact that he couldn't translate that into a bigger amount of success might be hard to take but it is what it is.

It's INSANE how much you downplay Madrid's midfield. Absolutley comical.
No, what's absolutely not only bonkers but disgusting is the bullshit surrouding it. Madrid had the best midfield in the world for a grand total of one season. ONE. Last year they were not even close to it for example despite you pretending they were still the best and then massively declined coincidently on the exact same second that Ronaldo arrived in Turin.

That is not even arguable. The media propaganda for the past 2 years on the subject has been nothing short of disgusting and this season showed it for everyone to see.

How "great" were Neymar and Suarez in those CL years outside of 2015? Suarez literally hasn't scored in the CL in YEARS. Meanwhile Ronaldo plays with some of the most celebrated CL players of ALL TIME.
Lucky Ronaldo for playing next to CL celebrated Bale and Benzema instead of Neymar and Suarez. So lucky.

Also, Suarez scored vs Roma last year. And he just had an incredible performance today without scoring.

I ALWAYS said MSN >> BBC, but everywhere else you take Madrid over an aging Iniesta, and I absolutely take Madrid's backline during that era over Barca's, no question.
Are you a masochist? Who would take Madrid's backline over Barcelona's? Have you seen their defensive record?

And your "best team imaginable" he managed 2 CL's in the four years Pep was there and two respectable semi finals that were barely lost to EVENTUAL CHAMPIONS.
Yeah the respectable loss of getting knocked out by a 10 men Chelsea team playing Bosingwa at centreback... 2 Champions League titles in 4 years with that team wasn't good enough when there's some guy that won 4 in 5 with a much worse team around him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I’m just messing with you, Ronaldo was a huge part of getting them to that final
Sure I know. Look I am not trying to big up Ronaldo or belittle Messi achievement, or anything. I admire both player, and I do think Messi is better player with better talent, but Ronaldo has achieved everything he can to a point where its hard to argue he is not greater, or as great as, Messi. I prefer Ronaldo because of his determination and clutch moments, which I value higher than talent and performances (I do recognise Messi usually performs better, as he is also good playmaker and good dribbler, which adds more flavours to the eyes). Its a personal thing.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't want to get involved in all the other stuff but Madrid sure as hell had the best midfield in the world for at least 4 years. You can make a case that there's been better midfields (City) last season but before that, it's a clear case IMO. That they've been dominated by Barca was not Kroos' and Modric' fault but due to their general style of play. In Barca every player has his role and it's geared towards retaining possession up until they are in the final third, in Madrid the offensive players always took more risk. That doesn't change that Modric and Kroos both had walked into that Barca side and every other midfield in the world.

killerboi2

And Messi responds by tearing Lyon apart with ease!! I'm still gotta give the edge to Ronaldo after his hattrick but it's pretty much personal preference at the moment now.

MalcolmTucker

:lol: This thread was nice and peaceful when I went to bed - good to see it's back to its usual shitflinging and circular arguments once more.

Just to add to it, for all Ronaldo's heroics on Tuesday and it was a different circumstance against a better team - Messi actually played better last night.

Tostao_80

And Messi responds by tearing Lyon apart with ease!! I'm still gotta give the edge to Ronaldo after his hattrick but it's pretty much personal preference at the moment now.
Messi is having a significantly better season.
He has 36 goals in 36 games, is goalscorer in league football in Europe this season (26 in 25, 7 ahead of Cristiano), is top assistant in Europe also. In the CL, he has 8 goals in just 6 games, again top scorer in that competition.
Cristiano is having a good season, though only has 25 in 36. In the CL, his numbers are way down on previous seasons, he only has 4 in 7.
How do you give the edge to Ronaldo? Because of one great match? Messi has been unquestionably better this season. Ronaldos main argument somes from goals, and Messi is killing him in that department this season. Whats he left with? One (admittedly) great match against Atleti? Im sorry, not even close to being enough.

Oldham

I didn't even think Messi was having good game until his second goal. Kept losing possession a lot and misplaced passes.
But the goal was magic and that pass to Pique even better. 2 goals and 2 assists on the night...He's unbelievable.

IhabX7

17-20 year old Messi played with Ronaldinho's free scoring Barcelona, while 17-20 year old Ronaldo played as an out and out winger with Sporting and a Manchester United team in transition.

I prefer Ronaldo because he played for us and for his mental strength. I understand completely the preference to Messi. Both legitimate opinions.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He'd have got to be average while injured in finals if he actually got there with a much better team. Does having the best team of all time ring a bell???? Does having the best front 3 any team will ever have ring a bell? Where were the 4 Champions League titles then? Hell, where the hell were the finals? How come the best player of all time has spent 10-15 years at Barcelona, had the best team any superstar can hope for and managed to only play 3 Champions League finals in his entire career while winning feck all with his country? If Messi could have done half as much with the best team of all time around him than Ronaldo did with a pretty good team around him I wouldn't even hold it against him.

Best midfield in the world... You should be embarassed to keep that up.

The midfield that was getting spanked around by Barcelona's midfield every single time they met was the best midfield in the world? Were they feck. How great was Real Madrid's squad, it was perfect, two incredible fullbacks, the best centreback of the generation, the best midfield in the world.. Propaganda bollocks for years... where are they now? One year where they were the best midfield in the world. ONE. 2016-17. And they needed an in form Isco in there to overcrowd it.

If Rakitic had been playing next to Ronaldo he'd have won the Ballon D'Or last year. Wasn't any worse than Modric in 2018 but the media doesn't quite work that way. Didn't take long for everything to change though did it? Turns out Cancelo might be the best fullback in the world instead of Marcelo too.
I won't fight who had the better team, that's like starting the Vietnam war against you.

But you do know that Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol existed before 2009 and their trophy cabinet was abyssmal, right?.

Xavi from 98 to 08: 10 seasons, 3 La Liga titles, 1 UCL.
Xavi from 09 to 15: 7 seasons, 5 La Liga titles, 3 UCL, 3 Spanish Cups.

Puyol 99 to 08: 9 seasons, 2 La Liga, 1 UCL.
Puyol 08 to 14: 6 seasons, 4 La Liga, 2 UCL, 2 Cups.

Iniesta 02 to 08: 6 seasons, 2 La Liga, 1 UCL.
Iniesta 08 to 18: 10 seasons, 7 La Liga, 3 UCL, 6 Cups.

You don't see an increase in their silverware since a certain someone became the star, right?

And an extra point, to add perspective

Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol were winning the Champions League with Messi and fecking off in the summer to dominate international football as they pleased. Marcelo, Ramos, Kroos and Modric without Ronaldo get one humiliation after the other.
Ramos, Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Varane, Modric, Kroos, Khedira were winning the Champions League with Ronaldo and fecking off in the summer to dominate international football as they pleased. Bravo, Valdes, Pedro, Villa, Rafinha, Thiago, Bojan, Tello, Fabregas, Alexis without Messi get one humiliation after the other.

Spanish has been nothing but horrid in big tournaments since 2012, we're in 2019, two world cups and an Euro have passed since then and Pique, Busquets, Iniesta and Alba have done nothing.

2018 WC dream team: Marcelo, Varane, Modric vs... Coutinho
2014 WC dream team: Marcelo, Kroos, James, Di Maria vs... Neymar
2016 EC TOTT: Pepe and Kroos vs... no one.

Yup, use that logic more, please

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I give Ronaldo credit for playing so well at the top at 34, not many players are even half that good beyond 30. On the other hand, despite his comparable statistics Messi is 3 years younger so may still rake in more awards and records. I also take personalities in picking my preference: Messi is very likable and level-headed whilst Ronaldo is arrogant and narcissistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.