Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MalcolmTucker

Ronaldo was better against Atletico than anything Messi has done so far this season.
See;

That Atletico game was a great narrative but ultimately he scored 2 headers and a penalty and did very little else (not to say it wasn't a great performance). However, Messi was pushing his team forward and creating chances all game and was dangerous from any position in the opponent's half, Ronaldo is only dangerous from 20 yards onwards these days. Ronaldo's goalscoring stats have been awe inspiring the last few years in the CL KO stages but I never watched those games in awe of his ability.

There's a reason when people talk about memorable Messi performances people post clips and videos but when Ronaldo does people just write numbers.

Cal?

CR7 fan
By watching instead of looking at stats.
Well i mean asking questions like whos scored more goals in the Champions League,who has more assists in the Champions league and whos won an international tournament is hardly taking stats that favour Ronaldo.
These are legitimate stats that if we want to compare players should be used in comparison.
Find some stats for me that favour Messi and im all ears.
Dribbles completed, chances created, through passes, average number of passes. In fact he is playmaker + Goal scorer for Barca.
:houllier: You reply to a post asking for stats and deny looking at stats.

Do you need to lie down to clear your thoughts?

Cal?

CR7 fan
There's a reason when people talk about memorable Messi performances people post clips and videos but when Ronaldo does people just write numbers.
That has more to do with the Messi brigade being much more obsessive people than anything else.

Most Ronaldo fans appreciate Messi is a great player, probably one of the best ever.

Messi fans on the other hand seem to think they need to make ridiculous claims about Ronaldo being a terrible player to elevate Messi. :rolleyes:

Charles Miller

Fat Ronaldo and the Real Ronaldo are not even in the same sentence and I love fat Ronaldo.
You guys are not very wise at making a case for the player you defend. You tend to sound arrogant and disrespectful. Another day some of the portuguese here was questioning the quality of players like Marcelo, Ramos, Kroos and Modric to praise Cr7. Another one apparently dont know who GEORGE BEST was/IS. Now you came with this "real Ronaldo" thing. Look, Cristiano Ronaldo had a superior club career and its not fair to compare him to R9 at nt level because Brazil was much more stronger in the period. But you should not confunde things here. Cristiano Ronaldo can be among the top 4 in the world based on the results/stats and titles. But i doubt many people believe he is really better or has a superior skill set than Messi, Ronaldo9, George Best, Maradona, etc. Its more a case of a very effective striker with very good technique and superior mentality. Those qualities are important. This why he is among the best. But in the end we all know is better leave things as they are. More we bring players like Messi, Maradona, R9, etc, more silly and uncomfortable the situation become. Its like if Harry Kane win everything in the next seasons and we see ourselves forced to claim he is better than Messi.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The only thing Ronaldo is better at than Messi is penalties and heading, everything else it's not even a competition Messi trumps him in every other department and outscores him playing in midfield

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Dribbles completed, chances created, through passes, average number of passes. In fact he is playmaker + Goal scorer for Barca.
Seriously? :lol:

You're going with dribbled completed as one of your choices? vs GOALS scored?

I wonder what the aim of the game is.
It's a team game. It's not like Messi is dribbling in some free space, he drags multiple defenders out of position with his dribbling which create space for others.

It's all of no use though, you have argued against this for 10 years. I'm not arsed to change your opinion which you are stuck with for 10 years. So good day.

Where does dribbles completed define dragging defenders out of positions?

As far as I'm aware, dribbles completed merely measures carrying the ball a certain distance.
By watching instead of looking at stats.
Now, you quote some out of context posts and twist everything :lol:

Shinjch

This is Cal? in his element. Seeing him in full flight is quite the sight. No regard for anything other than the talking points he likes and has well revised to make his man look the best. Say anything to him and he will work around it. An artist.

MalcolmTucker

That has more to do with the Messi brigade being much more obsessive people than anything else.

Most Ronaldo fans appreciate Messi is a great player, probably one of the best ever.

Messi fans on the other hand seem to think they need to make ridiculous claims about Ronaldo being a terrible player to elevate Messi. :rolleyes:
When Ronaldo scored that bicycle kick last season it was rightly posted and reposted on here because it was a genuinely impressive moment of skill, but those are rare despite all these legendary performances you talk about. Also, I think it's far more obsessive to post a load of stats rather than enjoy their skills.

There's a reason most Ronaldo fans are happy to concede that Messi and Ronaldo are close and that it's a case of preference and Messi fans tend to think Messi is clearly better. In some cases it's arrogance but it actually represents the gulf between their ability, it's not some cult which you seem to want to project. No one thinks Ronaldo is a terrible player, they just think he isn't as good as Messi.

I don't think you can accuse anyone else of being obsessive :lol:

Sauldogba

Ill give you chances created.
Average number of passes and dribbles completed shouldnt be included imo.
Not everyones game is to dribble or to do one two tippy tappy passes.

@Zehner Sorry I don't see how Messi last night was any better than Ronaldo when he scored a hat trick against Atletico to qualify from 0-2 down.
Let alone when Ronaldo scored 10 goals in 5 games against Bayern,Atletico and Juventus in 2017.

Ronaldo has had the kind of performances Messi had yesterday, every single year since 2014, with maybe the exception of 2015.
Thats because it wasnt.
On par at best but better no way.
Messi was very good last night but no way great.
Sloppy,diving around,losing the ball,walking around,not tracking back.
Liverpool pretty much matched them and was cutting through Barcelona like a knife through butter. If Milner and Mane could finish it would have been a different narative.

It's silly because Ronaldo has played more games; Messi has a better goal to game ratio in the Champions League, 0.3 worse assist rate in the CL and Ronaldo winning an international trophy in a final he didn't play, in a tournament he was average in isn't a reason to say he is better than Messi.

Here are some stats for you;

Messi has a better goal per game ratio than Ronaldo
Messi has a better assist per game ratio than Ronaldo
Messi has more titles than Ronaldo

None of these above make Messi a better player than Ronaldo
Messi has a better goals to game record than ronaldo because hes played in less games pressumably because hes bottled a lot of quarters and semis in recent years and gets knocked out earlier.

Ill give you messi winning more titles but then again hes played with much better players than Ronaldo. Ill still give you that one. Gotta be fair.
Looking back at the piece i posted they should have added titles.
For me its always Champions league>>>>league titles but i didnt realize Messi won that many league titles.
Had to check wiki and hes won shitloads :lol:

marktan

The only thing Ronaldo is better at than Messi is penalties and heading, everything else it's not even a competition Messi trumps him in every other department and outscores him playing in midfield
Now, but young Ronaldo was a great dribbler too. Not on the level of Messi with close control, but athletically very effective.

This thread gets bumped every time Messi has a great game, or Ronaldo has a great game. Messi is the better player, but Ronaldo how he was when he was younger (dribbling), his longevity, and his clutch moments in the CL (especially in the knockouts) over the last 5 years on the way to winning 4 CL's put him right up there.

Some people obsess too much about 'pure football', i.e passing and dribbling. Sure Ronaldo's not close on those fronts currently, but he has a unique set of skills that make him a great player. For us, he was a creator, dribbler and finisher, and was amazing in his last 3-4 seasons for us. For Real, he scored a bucket load of goals with his finishing and movement - would Real have won 4 CL's in 5 years with Messi in the side? It's unlikely, because he wouldn't have scored the same sort of goals Ronaldo did over the last 5 years in the CL.

I feel like the problem with this thread is too many people on the Messi side discredit Ronaldo purely because he's not as good a 'pure footballer' as Messi is, which he's not, but then don't take into account everything he's done so far in his career.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
You guys are not very wise at making a case for the player you defend. You tend to sound arrogant and disrespectful. Another day some of the portuguese here was questioning the quality of players like Marcelo, Ramos, Kroos and Modric to praise Cr7. Another one apparently dont know who GEORGE BEST was/IS. Now you came with this "real Ronaldo" thing. Look, Cristiano Ronaldo had a superior club career and its not fair to compare him to R9 at nt level because Brazil was much more stronger in the period. But you should not confunde things here. Cristiano Ronaldo can be among the top 4 in the world based on the results/stats and titles. But i doubt many people believe he is really better or has a superior skill set than Messi, Ronaldo9, George Best, Maradona, etc. Its more a case of a very effective striker with very good technique and superior mentality. Those qualities are important. This why he is among the best. But in the end we all know is better leave things as they are. More we bring players like Messi, Maradona, R9, etc, more silly and uncomfortable the situation become. Its like if Harry Kane win everything in the next seasons and we see ourselves forced to claim he is better than Messi.
The fact that there is this notion that Ronaldo is just a striker is a joke and they must not seen him play his whole career.

As for George Best if you think he and Ronaldo are in the same breath with all due respect to George best who is a legend then you are too far gone. The disrespect Ronaldo gets on this forum is laughable.

As for me saying "the real Ronaldo" it was simply because Cristiano Ronaldo is the best Ronaldo to ever live and that's a testament to him because R9 was incredible.

This idea that Ronaldo is a in the box striker is whole career is a joke he is SUPREMELY talented technical ability, the ability to beat a man, pace, power. Thats for a majority of his career. As he got older he adapted and changed his game which that in itself is remarkable.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's not an argument, it's a statement of fact.

You obviously are no scientist, how is that remotely related to being a proof. :lol:
It says something that there's no argument that could possibly speak for Ronaldo too riduculous for you to bring it up. Especially since you accuse others of belonging to some strange Messi brigade. This argument is Trump level of delusion. You know fully well how stupid it is to consider Ballon D'Or votes on a 16 year old but of course that won't stop you from making this point. And that's because you've run out of arguments.

:lol: If you're going to make ridiculous claims like this, you may as well stick to the circle jerk that is the Messi thread.

Do you expect anyone to take you seriously with statements like that. :lol:
That's obviously been an intended hyperbole mate. You are so into this that you don't even recognize a joke anymore.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Seriously? :lol:

You're going with dribbled completed as one of your choices? vs GOALS scored?

I wonder what the aim of the game is.
You should stick to citing trophies and goal records. As soon as you talk about actual football it becomes painly obvious that you've got zero knowledge about the sport. Honestly, I've never met someone who had such strong opinions on football while simultaneously having absolutely no clue about it. I wonder if you've ever even kicked a football in your life :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol: You're still using this line?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The fact that there is this notion that Ronaldo is just a striker is a joke and they must not seen him play his whole career.

As for George Best if you think he and Ronaldo are in the same breath with all due respect to George best who is a legend then you are too far gone. The disrespect Ronaldo gets on this forum is laughable.

As for me saying "the real Ronaldo" it was simply because Cristiano Ronaldo is the best Ronaldo to ever live and that's a testament to him because R9 was incredible.

This idea that Ronaldo is a in the box striker is whole career is a joke he is SUPREMELY talented technical ability, the ability to beat a man, pace, power. Thats for a majority of his career. As he got older he adapted and changed his game which that in itself is remarkable.
That's not disrespect. That's you having such a high opinion of Cristiano that people's moderate opinions of him seem disrespectful to you. Best and R9 were outrageously talented players and especially the latter was completely unplayable during his prime. Prime R9 is up there with prime Messi for me, prime Cristiano isn't. Doesn't mean that Cris hasn't had a better career but he just didn't possess that level of ability.

Cal?

CR7 fan
When Ronaldo scored that bicycle kick last season it was rightly posted and reposted on here because it was a genuinely impressive moment of skill, but those are rare despite all these legendary performances you talk about. Also, I think it's far more obsessive to post a load of stats rather than enjoy their skills.

There's a reason most Ronaldo fans are happy to concede that Messi and Ronaldo are close and that it's a case of preference and Messi fans tend to think Messi is clearly better. In some cases it's arrogance but it actually represents the gulf between their ability, it's not some cult which you seem to want to project. No one thinks Ronaldo is a terrible player, they just think he isn't as good as Messi.

I don't think you can accuse anyone else of being obsessive :lol:
An argument can certainly be made for Messi being better than Ronaldo, but you have plenty of Messi brigade members who have made claims such as (but not limited to): Bale was more important to RM, Ronaldo not enough in the top 10 ever, Modric, Kroos and Casemiro was the key to winning the CL 3-peat, etc...

Cal?

CR7 fan
It says something that there's no argument that could possibly speak for Ronaldo too riduculous for you to bring it up. Especially since you accuse others of belonging to some strange Messi brigade. This argument is Trump level of delusion. You know fully well how stupid it is to consider Ballon D'Or votes on a 16 year old but of course that won't stop you from making this point. And that's because you've run out of arguments.

That's obviously been an intended hyperbole mate. You are so into this that you don't even recognize a joke anymore.
Ok, let's start when Messi hit 18? Fair? Ronaldo is still ahead.

It is ridiculous to consider the votes for 16yo, yet some of you insist on crediting him with that CL in 2006 which he didn't even feature from the QF onwards.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You should stick to citing trophies and goal records. As soon as you talk about actual football it becomes painly obvious that you've got zero knowledge about the sport. Honestly, I've never met someone who had such strong opinions on football while simultaneously having absolutely no clue about it. I wonder if you've ever even kicked a football in your life :lol:
Again, it's the Messi brigade with the "we know best", everyone who disagrees know nothing line of thought. :houllier:

InfiniteBoredom

Sports are about entertainment. If two players have comparable end products then the aesthetics will decide.

20 years down the line people will still watch footages of Messi, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, Maradona, Pelé, Garrincha. CR will be remembered in record books.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sports are about entertainment. If two players have comparable end products then the aesthetics will decide.

20 years down the line people will still watch footages of Messi, Ronaldinho, Cruyff, Maradona, Pelé, Garrincha. CR will be remembered in record books.
Aesthetics is about opinions, some find tiki-taka awe inspiring, some find it utterly boring.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

People will still watch clips of CR7 in 20yrs time - assume you're kidding.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ok, let's start when Messi hit 18? Fair? Ronaldo is still ahead.

It is ridiculous to consider the votes for 16yo, yet some of you insist on crediting him with that CL in 2006 which he didn't even feature from the QF onwards.
How about comparing their votes in the same time frame? Like, 16 to 31? Or 18 to 31? Whatever you like. But comparing Messi as a 16 year old to almost 19 year old Cristiano is ridiculous and you know that.

I guess Messi will come out on top then but that's not even important to me since the Ballon D'or is just a shit award and always has been.

Again, it's the Messi brigade with the "we know best", everyone who disagrees know nothing line of thought. :houllier:
Yes, I know better than you but this has nothing to do with Messi and Ronaldo. It has to do with you showing absolutely zero signs that you possess at least some sort of deeper understanding of football in all the posts I've read from you. And that's quite a number of posts by now.

InfiniteBoredom

People will still watch clips of CR7 in 20yrs time - assume you're kidding.
I honestly don’t find that many who do. I remember him fondly and still vividly recall the feeling of that Bolton match, and over the years I’ve seen him performed some great tricks at Real, like the backheel goal with his back turned from out of the box, but if you ask people to make a montage of skills from the greats of the game, Ronaldo’s aesthetics simply doesn’t measure up to the aforementioned names.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How about comparing their votes in the same time frame? Like, 16 to 31? Or 18 to 31? Whatever you like. But comparing Messi as a 16 year old to almost 19 year old Cristiano is ridiculous and you know that.

I guess Messi will come out on top then but that's not even important to me since the Ballon D'or is just a shit award and always has been.

Yes, I know better than you but this has nothing to do with Messi and Ronaldo. It has to do with you showing absolutely zero signs that you possess at least some sort of deeper understanding of football in all the posts I've read from you. And that's quite a number of posts by now.
Comparing votes based on age makes no sense as you won't be comparing the 2 players in the same season. :rolleyes:

:lol: It's always you lot who claim to have this deep understanding of football that can't be proven except based on some "eye test".

How about we start a game of football bets and see who doesn't matter in a few months? :smirk:

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
You would think by now people would stop trying to debate with Cal etc. Waste of time.

Timo.utd

I'm not even a Messi fan, but he's clearly better, i have noticed that the only people that still believe ronaldo is better are his fans, even dont understand hows this poll is 50/50.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I’ve just re-opened the poll and people can now change their votes. O-M-G!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
During the season Messi has been better. Convenient. I wonder if it was done in 2016 or 2017 or 18.

VanKenny

Messi vs Manchester United in 2009 and in 2011, Messi vs City in 2016, Messi vs Bayern in 2015, Messi vs Real Madrid in 2011, Messi vs Liverpool in 2019...

The mighty un-dribblable Van Dijk looking clueless yesterday, vs Bayern making the best CB in the world at the time fall on his ass and becoming a meme while chipping the best GK in the world as well, Messi dribbling past the entire Real Madrid defense on a time when the Barca vs Real Madrid rivalry was at his best... dribbling past Nani on the final and creating the goal that was scored by Villa, or scoring himself on that same final a long range goal after a great dribble past Ferdinand... one of the best free kick goals of all time vs Liverpool...

All those are legendary CL performances that will remain in our memories for ever. All semifinal or final performances by the "CL choker"

CR7 doesnt have a single semifinal or final performance that comes close to those. He has a few headers, penalties, etc but so do many other strikers. He has that one moment of brilliance with his overhead kick vs juventus, but that was on quarterfinals, but great performance anyway.

On quarters and round of 16 both have great games of course, CR7 scored against Atletico, Wolfsburg etc but then again Messi had his own great games against Arsenal a few times, Bayern etc.

But on semifinal and finals performances? Messi is by far the best CL player. Karius being a horrible keeper or Ramos scoring on two different finals on the last minute for Real Madrid dont make CR7 better than Messi.

At the end of the year its very likely for Messi to have 5 CLs (the same as CR7), just as many or more club goals but much more la ligas and copa del reys. And that is using the kind of arguments the CR7 fans use, resorting to compare them both on the few categories that CR7 "may" have a fighting chance. At the end of the day you can simply put down your portuguese love googles and just watch them play.

One is a genius, the other one is a great player.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Most Ronaldo fans acknowledge messi as a great player, probably top 5 ever.

Messi brigade however is hell-bent on proving that Ronaldo is some sort of glorified inzaghi. Therein lies the basic problem of this thread

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
No matter how many times you repeat yourself, Messi is not a midfielder.
An actual heat map of Messi for the entire season 17/18 showing him as a midfielder and you still deny it, this is why there is no reasoning with you and there is no changing your mind because you only want to see what you believe

Status
Not open for further replies.