Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

It really is possible to appreciate both of them. Edging towards one more than the other is absolutely fine as long it doesn't make you hate irrationnaly the other.
Definitely is. I've got posters of both in my room.

I only got a Ronaldo poster once he came back.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Pelé " In his early career, he played in a variety of attacking positions. Although he usually operated inside the penalty area as a main striker or centre forward, his wide range of skills also allowed him to play in a more withdrawn role, as an inside forward or second striker, or out wide.[83][97][100] In his later career, he took on more of a deeper playmaking role behind the strikers, often functioning as an attacking midfielder"
Don’t just copy quotes from Wikipedia. Pele’s games from the 1958 World Cup when he was 17 v France and v Sweden are freely available. Also his game v Mexico in 1962. Early games. Please watch them and tell me if you think he’s playing as a centre forward or out and out striker. Vava was the chief centre forward for that team and Coutinho was the number 9 for Santos.

Alfredo DiStefano was nominally a centre forward, but did he play like one? Of course not. That’s what makes HIS goal tally remarkable as well.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Don’t just copy quotes from Wikipedia. Pele’s games from the 1958 World Cup when he was 17 v France and v Sweden are freely available. Also his game v Mexico in 1962. Early games. Please watch them and tell me if you think he’s playing as a centre forward or out and out striker. Vava was the chief centre forward for that team and Coutinho was the number 9 for Santos.

Alfredo DiStefano was nominally a centre forward, but did he play like one? Of course not. That’s what makes HIS goal tally remarkable as well.

Di Stefano was basically attacking midfielder in the mould of a center forward. He was something else.

Pele was more like Messi in last few years is, a playmaker-forward.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's this which annoys me, and the vast majority of people who say it are the Messi stans in my experience. The framing of a subjective opinion as an objective fact. For example, this:

It's probably the result of the sanctimonious "purist" element that the Dutch school generally tends to engender unfortunately. Kinda like Wenger's Arsenal in their heyday (before they discovered the delights of Stoke) on steroids.
It's exactly that.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There were millions of Ronaldo haters (most of them coincidentally happen to be Messi fanboys too) before this. But since he signed for United they seem to be more vocal and putting their insecurities for public display like emo teenagers. Even if Ronaldo is already 36, he still lives rent free in people's head.... jesus.

VP

Messi is better. His fanboys are also better or, at least less irritating, but that's only because Team CR7 fanboys seem to be led by Piers Morgan.

MrEleson

Even if you may not agree he’s the GOAT, surely you gotta admit he’s the best 35+ year old player in history and by miles too. How many players have not just gone to the most physically demanding league in the world at 36 years old but also be expected to be the best player in it. His standards are unprecedented.

The likes of R9 and Ronaldinho could barely run at 36 much less play professional football.

Pele was practically retired at 36. Maradona no more. The list goes on.

I also doubt Messi will be this good by the time he’s Ronaldo’s age, personally.

Last edited:

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Would be very interested to hear how United fans answer the following question. The first free kick has been awarded and Fernandes and Ronaldo are standing over the ball...who do you want to take it???. One fact that may affect your decision. Playing for Juventus over the last three years Ronaldo has taken 72 free kicks and scored.....1.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Premier League titles: Ronaldo 3 vs Messi 0
Serie A titles: Ronaldo 2 vs Messi 0
Spending his golden years in a farmer's league: Ronaldo 0 vs Messi 1
moronic take when psg didn’t even win the league last year whileJuve had won serie A in a row. I consider both of those leagues to be farmer leagues. and Messi got the best of Ronaldo head to head when they were in the same league

mu4c_20le

moronic take when psg didn’t even win the league last year whileJuve had won serie A in a row. I consider both of those leagues to be farmer leagues. and Messi got the best of Ronaldo head to head when they were in the same league
Italian teams are much stronger in the CL. Merely looking at the league's title races is a flawed take.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The first free kick has been awarded and Fernandes and Ronaldo are standing over the ball...who do you want to take it???.
Mata, for me.

But he (hopefully, I should say) won't be playing.

So, Pogba then.

Seriously, though - Ronaldo obviously shouldn't be the go-to man for free kicks per default.

Bruno is considerably more efficient than him on both FKs and penalties.

I have zero hope Ole will insist on Bruno taking the pens (that just won't happen - it will be Ronaldo). But if Ronaldo's allowed to waste decent FK opportunities just because he likes taking 'em, questions will have to be asked.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Even if you may not agree he’s the GOAT, surely you gotta admit he’s the best 35+ year old player in history and by miles too. How many players have not just gone to the most physically demanding league in the world at 36 years old but also be expected to be the best player in it. His standards are unprecedented.

The likes of R9 and Ronaldinho could barely run at 36 much less play professional football.

Pele was practically retired at 36. Maradona no more. The list goes on.

I also doubt Messi will be this good by the time he’s Ronaldo’s age, personally.
By the time Pele was 36/37, he’d played around 1300 matches in 80 different countries at a time when they had poorer equipment, terrible pitches, and opponents were allowed to boot you with impunity. It’s a totally different challenge. Messi and Ronaldo don’t go through their entire careers unscathed (and I hope they both remain fit and healthy for several more years) if they had to deal with some of the savage punishment that Pele and Maradona endured.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Please watch them and tell me if you think he’s playing as a centre forward or out and out striker. Vava was the chief centre forward for that team and Coutinho was the number 9 for Santos.
He played as an inside forward, certainly - rather than a centre forward.

However, one could add (I'm not disagreeing with your overall point at all - just to be clear) that it wasn't uncommon that inside forwards posted numbers (goals, I mean) comparable to, or greater than, centre forwards. So, that - in itself - is neither here nor there if you're only looking at the numbers.

Which you shouldn't, by the way - the obsession with goals/assists is silly in the first place.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He played as an inside forward, certainly - rather than a centre forward.

However, one could add (I'm not disagreeing with your overall point at all - just to be clear) that it wasn't uncommon that inside forwards posted numbers (goals, I mean) comparable to, or greater than, centre forwards. So, that - in itself - is neither here nor there if you're only looking at the numbers.

Which you shouldn't, by the way - the obsession with goals/assists is silly in the first place.
100% with you there…..

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yeah, thats why he is more comparable to Gerd Muller and not Messi, Maradona etc. as he is a pure goal scorer, a poacher (by the way, Messi has a better goal per game ratio))

He did not even in the final against France for more than 15 minutes, and Portuguese path in that tournament was the easiest path ever as they did not face Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy or Belgium until the final.
So somehow it's his fault that Belgium got beaten by Wales who Portugal beat with ease? :lol:

Shall we also ignore the fact Portugal beat the 2 teams who'd contest the WC final 2 years later en route to winning the Euro?

Cal?

CR7 fan
compares a pure poacher with a Maradona type of talent (dribbling, creativity, playmaking etc.) with the goal scoring numbers of Muller/Ronaldo/Lewandowski, and calls Messi fans stans)

Ballon D'Or committee members, La Liga best player award committee members, WC best player award committee members, COPA committee members also all seem to be overly obsessed with Messi. Also, some of Ronaldo's own teammates, most managers, active players etc., there must be an ongoing conspiracy against Ronaldo..
The very same committee members who've voted Ronaldo the better player than Messi more times than vice versa?

Cal?

CR7 fan

MrEleson

By the time Pele was 36/37, he’d played around 1300 matches in 80 different countries at a time when they had poorer equipment, terrible pitches, and opponents were allowed to boot you with impunity. It’s a totally different challenge. Messi and Ronaldo don’t go through their entire careers unscathed (and I hope they both remain fit and healthy for several more years) if they had to deal with some of the savage punishment that Pele and Maradona endured.
Ronaldo has played nearly 1200 games at the highest level. The game right now is played at a significantly higher tempo than it was back then, with opponents fitter than ever. Pele played against many players that were no fitter than you or me. He was a maverick of his time in terms of athleticism in comparison to what he faced so that offsets the brutality and lack of regulation during his era.

By the time he was 36/37 he was also in MLS and not one of the worlds best.

Ronaldo is moving to the PL at this age as the highest paid player in the competition’s history and still carrying the same standard as he did during his peak years (still being regarded a top 3-5 player in the world).

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Ronaldo has played nearly 1200 games at the highest level. The game right now is played at a significantly higher tempo than it was back then, with opponents fitter than ever. Pele played against many players that were no fitter than you or me. He was a maverick of his time in terms of athleticism in comparison to what he faced so that offsets the brutality and lack of regulation during his era.

By the time he was 36/37 he was also in MLS and not one of the worlds best.

Ronaldo is moving to the PL at this age as the highest paid player in the competition’s history and still carrying the same standard as he did during his peak years (still being regarded a top 3-5 player in the world).
Totally false, who are these players that Pele would have played against that were ‘no fitter than you or me’? Football in Brazil has been fully professional since the 1930s.

Also, just as an example of his tour schedule, between the end of May and the start of July 1959 (so basically a month), Santos played 22 matches in eight countries around Europe, including games against DiStefano’s Real Madrid, Barcelona, Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon and Feyenoord.

Has that been the level of Ronaldo’s schedule? He’s spent his entire career playing at most 2 games a week. On pristine pitches with perfect equipment and protection from referees. It’s a totally different ball game now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Italian teams are much stronger in the CL. Merely looking at the league's title races is a flawed take.
Only Italian teams other than Juventus to make it past round 16 of the champions league in the last 10 years

Atlanta (2020 - Quarter finals)
Roma (2018 -- Semis)

Only French teams other than PSG to make it past round 16 of the champions league in the last 10 years

Lyon (2020- Semis)
Monaco (2017-Semis, 2015 - Quarter finals)

Hard to tell which one is the farmer league, maybe both are

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Only Italian teams other than Juventus to make it past round 16 of the champions league in the last 10 years

Atlanta (2020 - Quarter finals)
Roma (2018 -- Semis)

Only French teams other than PSG to make it past round 16 of the champions league in the last 10 years

Lyon (2020- Semis)
Monaco (2017-Semis, 2015 - Quarter finals)

Hard to tell which one is the farmer league, maybe both are
Yup, @mu4c_20le wrong as usual

kc7

It’s meaningless to break it down that way, really, so small time and needless. Next do you want me to include attributes like heading, speed, movement, tricks, crossing, mentality, athleticism, determination too? Or you also want to include CL goals, CL assists, goals per game in La Liga, PL titles, Serie A titles, all time goals in major tournaments, total amount of records etc? It’s really meaningless and needless way to put it.

Individual honours - Messi
Goals - Ronaldo
Assists - Messi
Major trophies - Ronaldo
Total trophies count - Messi
International - Ronaldo
Footballing - Messi
Legacy - Ronaldo
Etc

Already pretty much cover up everything. Of course each area can be further break down into 10+ smaller pieces to back it up, but they are just the same thing.
Of course, it is not meaningful for you))

1. Thinks that listing La Liga (then the best league in the world) awards likes best player award, top goal scorer awards, or league titles in La Liga for comparison is meaningless although says/implies in other threads if Ronaldo wins a league title with United this season, or becomes a best player in PL (now the best league in the world), or wins goal scoring awards, that would give a big edge to Ronaldo against Messi)) Oh so, all of a sudden league titles, goal scoring/best player awards in a league became meaningful again for comparison purposes in your parallel universe?? whatever fits your BS narrative.. the level of hypocrisy..

2. Conveniently ignores the goal ratios like other Ronaldo fans (they seem to have a particular goal ratio phobia), directly compares total goal numbers though Messi played almost 150 less games)) Do you know why ratios matter or are you mathematically challenged? Do you know what playing 150 less games mean when making a goals comparison? What's crazy is Messi has better goal ratios than Ronaldo, more golden boot awards, more Pichicis when both were playing in La Liga, the only area where he is supposed to beat Messi))

3.Gives international edge to Ronaldo when Ronaldo has “0” best player award in an international tournaments vs Messi’s 3 including a WC.. Completely ignores the fact that when Messi was playing the WC final in 2014, Ronaldo's Portugal failed to even go beyond the group stage being left behind mighty USA)

4. Then creates a new category in his little alternative universe called “Legacy” and calls it a tie, You cant make this shit up)) What is this “Legacy”? Is this a new alternative to that already destroyed “but, but, mentality” argument?

5. tries to desperately cover the fact that Ronaldo is nowhere near many greats of the game let alone Messi in terms of creativity, playmaking and adds multiple categories that has nothing to do with playmaking, creativity such as heading)) etc. as if these are the main qualities making wizards like Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Xavi, Ronaldinho etc. who they are and why they are considered among the best ever... Brings out things as tricks??, movement, determination, mentality (oh, I see you put that BS again) as if his boy has any superiority in these categories..

I will simplify it for you, two sets of attacking players as below:

Set 1: Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Xavi etc.
Set 2: Ronaldo9, Lewandowski, Muller, Romario etc.

Messi can easily make it to both groups as a top player whereas your boy is not welcome at Group 1, got it?

mu4c_20le

Yup, @mu4c_20le wrong as usual
Sure, having to pull up 2015-2017 Monaco but ok. Both them and Lyon are a shadow of themselves. The french league has regressed due to the presence of PSG, while the Italians are on the rise. Only desperate messi fanboys will put down the third best league in the world if it makes their boy look better.

kc7

The very same committee members who've voted Ronaldo the better player than Messi more times than vice versa?
another clueless, Ronaldo fan. You surely must know Messi already won 6 Ballon D'Ors vs Ronaldo's 5, and he will get his 7th this year..

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So now it's French league vs Seria A, which is better?

Pickle85

Of course, it is not meaningful for you))

1. Thinks that listing La Liga (then the best league in the world) awards likes best player award, top goal scorer awards, or league titles in La Liga for comparison is meaningless although says/implies in other threads if Ronaldo wins a league title with United this season, or becomes a best player in PL (now the best league in the world), or wins goal scoring awards, that would give a big edge to Ronaldo against Messi)) Oh so, all of a sudden league titles, goal scoring/best player awards in a league became meaningful again for comparison purposes in your parallel universe?? whatever fits your BS narrative.. the level of hypocrisy..

2. Conveniently ignores the goal ratios like other Ronaldo fans (they seem to have a particular goal ratio phobia), directly compares total goal numbers though Messi played almost 150 less games)) Do you know why ratios matter or are you mathematically challenged? Do you know what playing 150 less games mean when making a goals comparison? What's crazy is Messi has better goal ratios than Ronaldo, more golden boot awards, more Pichicis when both were playing in La Liga, the only area where he is supposed to beat Messi))

3.Gives international edge to Ronaldo when Ronaldo has “0” best player award in an international tournaments vs Messi’s 3 including a WC.. Completely ignores the fact that when Messi was playing the WC final in 2014, Ronaldo's Portugal failed to even go beyond the group stage being left behind mighty USA)

4. Then creates a new category in his little alternative universe called “Legacy” and calls it a tie, You cant make this shit up)) What is this “Legacy”? Is this a new alternative to that already destroyed “but, but, mentality” argument?

5. tries to desperately cover the fact that Ronaldo is nowhere near many greats of the game let alone Messi in terms of creativity, playmaking and adds multiple categories that has nothing to do with playmaking, creativity such as heading)) etc. as if these are the main qualities making wizards like Maradona, Cruyff, Zidane, Xavi, Ronaldinho etc. who they are and why they are considered among the best ever... Brings out things as tricks??, movement, determination, mentality (oh, I see you put that BS again) as if his boy has any superiority in these categories..

I will simplify it for you, two sets of attacking players as below:

Set 1: Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Xavi etc.
Set 2: Ronaldo9, Lewandowski, Muller, Romario etc.

Messi can easily make it to both groups as a top player whereas your boy is not welcome at Group 1, got it?
Reading this post I felt my IQ drop at least fifty points. That aside, to say that Ronaldo is nowhere near many greats of the game is a clear nonsense when he's regularly talked about in those terms (and often as being the best ever). I don't have an opinion on who's better, Messi or him, but to bracket him outside the top tier is, respectfully, dumb, when you've got Ronaldinho and Zidane there (but no Pele?!)

kc7

Sure, having to pull up 2015-2017 Monaco but ok. Both them and Lyon are a shadow of themselves. The french league has regressed due to the presence of PSG, while the Italians are on the rise. Only desperate messi fanboys will put down the third best league in the world if it makes their boy look better.
Yeah, Italians are definitelyon the rise)) That's why the their team, Juve lost to not only Lyon, but also from others supposedly inferior leagues in the CL year in year out, including 10-man Porto from Portugal, and Ajax from Holland in the last 3 seasons))

kc7

Reading this post I felt my IQ drop at least fifty points. That aside, to say that Ronaldo is nowhere near many greats of the game is a clear nonsense when he's regularly talked about in those terms (and often as being the best ever). I don't have an opinion on who's better, Messi or him, but to bracket him outside the top tier is, respectfully, dumb, when you've got Ronaldinho and Zidane there (but no Pele?!)
great response, typical of a Ronaldo fan, surely at least goal ratios vs total number of goals part in that Ronaldo post must have improved your IQ))

Last edited:

Goku1983

Ronaldo has done it in the hardest league once and hes now back hes done it everywhere else hes been. Messi has only been at Barca and is now in a really poor league I wish Messi had gone to City then we would really see if hes as good as he was in Barca and most likely PSG. If Ronaldo does it again in the Prem hes the clear winner for me.

Pickle85

great response, typical of a Ronaldo fan, surely at least goal ratios vs total goal ratios in that Ronaldo post must have improved your IQ))
This really makes no sense. I'm a United fan, not a fan of any one player. As I said, I've got no opinion on who's the better player - I just thought your post was extremely odd. I mean, I don't think you'd find many that would claim Zidane and Ronaldinho were better than Ronaldo. I also think your omission of Pele was an odd one. I also think it was strange that you included Xavi in your list of top tier attacking players. Sure, he could be a progressive passer and is one of the best CMs to play the game, but he didn't play anything like as advanced as the others you listed. Also, the way you bold random words is annoying and headache inducing.

Status
Not open for further replies.