Messi's next club: place your bets!

Who will Messi join?

• Total voters

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Tottenham fans breathing a huge sigh of relief. Why couldn't this have happened 2 weeks ago :lol:

Someone

Something
He will go to PSG, great city, Poch and plenty of mates there. City only has Pep and shit weather.
It'd be a good place to make a fortune and end your career but hardly a new challenge. Messi in the Premier League would be Epic, and he'd probably still make a ton of money.

ti vu

Could he actually retire? He's 34 years old, he finally won something with Argentina and there is no way C.Ronaldo is gonna catch up to him in Ballon d'Ors. Most neutrals already agree that he is the greatest of his time and probably the greatest of all time. If he retires he'll also get the honor of being a one-club man. Not to mention: he kind of retires on top, as he's the favorite to win this year's Ballon d'Or.
No way.

If he's that into the one club man thing, he would have lowered his wage demand.

World Cup is just over a year to go. He would still want to give it another go.

Last edited:

Nogbadthebad

He'll be at Barca.

You don't negotiate a deal, agree a deal, and then within an hour issue a statement saying you can't afford the deal you just agreed to.

No business will operate that way, and I'm surprised anyone is taking the story they are trying to tell seriously.

izec

It'd be a good place to make a fortune and end your career but hardly a new challenge. Messi in the Premier League would be Epic, and he'd probably still make a ton of money.
I dont think he sees the PL as the pinnacle. Not now with 34 anyway. And City is just City, when he started out, they were fighting relegation. If Pep wasnt there, City wouldnt be mentioned as much.

OleBoiii

World Cup is just over a year ago. He would still want to give it another go.
That's a good point.

In order of likelihood:

1. PSG
2. City
3. Argentinian club football just to stay fit until the next World Cup
4. Some insane contract in a shitty league(China or the US)
5. Early retirement

These are the only likely options, unless he happens to be a closet United or Chelsea fan.

SeanyC

I dont think he sees the PL as the pinnacle. Not now with 34 anyway. And City is just City, when he started out, they were fighting relegation. If Pep wasnt there, City wouldnt be mentioned as much.
I agree with all that except the part where you say if pep wasn’t there, he’d still go as it’s about the money, city have it and he’s greedy

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
£1m a week in wages can't happen even at City. Imagine telling KDB that another player is now earning more than double what you are.

OleBoiii

I wonder if City have back tracked on the Grealish deal at all :lol:
Maybe they have a clause?

"Should Lionel Messi become available before September 2021, then we reserve the right to kick you and your sexy calves to the curb"

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll be at Barca.

You don't negotiate a deal, agree a deal, and then within an hour issue a statement saying you can't afford the deal you just agreed to.

No business will operate that way, and I'm surprised anyone is taking the story they are trying to tell seriously.
It's Barca. They put out a statement essentially saying tax creditors said they had a good credit rating like a week ago and then deleted it a few days later, probably because they found out Messi is a problem to resign and because they look insecure. They aren't a good or smart business. They are very clearly run incredibly incompetently and not like a business or a sustainable club. They spent 100m+ on each of Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho. Their wage bill is disgusting.... need I say more?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Unles he is prepared to accept a maximum of 2 year deal on about 1/3 of what he was on last season, (I personally think there is a good chance he won’t accept that) then he will be him done in Europe’s top leagues.

it will be somewhere like MLS or Qatar somewhere more intrested in the prestige of having messi rather than the player messi.

Nogbadthebad

The million a week contract is only ever going to be available at barca.

Because the knock on, having others on 700K a week as a result, will cripple any club, even city or PSG.

If he is on that, then they will instantly have 6 players wanted at least 750K a week, and money is always the worst kind of unrest in any group. Would destroy city's team spirit, or PSGs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just been thinking, aren't Chelsea fairly flush with selling their squad players and the CL with Super Cup and WCC money to come?

Maybe Lukaku was a smokescreen, €130m + €250k a week x 4 years = €182m. €182m ÷ 2 years = €91m. I get people will say Lukaku is 28, but 30 year old Lukaku is going to have no resale value. Do they just go for broke for two years?

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
I won't be surprised if he remains at Barca. This seems like a ploy by the club to blackmail La Liga to bend the rules a bit, cause even they will suffer as a brand.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
It's Barca. They put out a statement essentially saying tax creditors said they had a good credit rating like a week ago and then deleted it a few days later, probably because they found out Messi is a problem to resign and because they look insecure. They aren't a good or smart business. They are very clearly run incredibly incompetently and not like a business or a sustainable club. They spent 100m+ on each of Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho. Their wage bill is disgusting.... need I say more?
100 m for Griezmann were understandable, guy was an established top played by then, and WC winner...if the sign didn't work out as expected, that's a different story.

100 m for Dembele and Coutinho were completely stupid, and made no sense at all, as Coutinho wasn't even the best player from Liverpool and Dembele was just a young promise.

Besides of that, i think this is just part of a cycle when a big club make some mistakes signing players that didn't work out as expected after a successful era, it happened to every big club in History.
E.G United still missing SAF since he left, AC Milan still can't recover after 2008, and Real Madrid was a very underwhelming after 2007 until Mourinho arrived.

Also being sustainable without football success means nothing, i don't think there are united fans happy with the current situation of Man Utd just because the club is super sustainable under The Glazers.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Originally I voted for him to stay at Barcelona, even now after the news I still think he's somehow going to stay in Barcelona and this is just a trick to circumvent the rules.

Anyway if he isn't going to continue in Barcelona my first bet would be Manchesters City, and think this would be other possible destinations for him.

1. Manchester City
  2. PSG
  3. Real Madrid
  4. Juventus
  5. Chelsea
  6. Newells Old Boys

bosnian_red

100 m for Griezmann were understandable, guy was an established top played by then, and WC winner...if the sign didn't work out as expected, that's a different story.
Griezmann was predictable a huge flop. He had already declined a bit and that much money at his age to a team and system completely foreign to anything he's played in and not being able to play in his normal position, it was always a horrible signing.

And no it really doesn't mean nothing. It means the long term future of the club is OK, less risk of bankruptcy, less dramatic drop offs and rebuilds.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Originally I voted for him to stay at Barcelona, even now after the news I still think he's somehow going to stay in Barcelona and this is just a trick to circumvent the rules.

Anyway if he isn't going to continue in Barcelona my first bet would be Manchesters City, and think this would be other possible destinations for him.

1. Manchester City
  2. PSG
  3. Real Madrid
  4. Juventus
  5. Chelsea
  6. Newells Old Boys
United has greater chance of landing him than Real or Old boys.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
City or PSG.

Literally lacks the personality or vision to join any other club. He's an extremely talented tool and a brand, not a proper human.

redshaw

If La Liga don't back down then Messi will surely be joining the Qatar oil club his friends play for.

Would be nice for him to join United and we get drawn against Stoke for a wet Wednesday night clash, I don't think the football gods are interested.

432JuanMata

Thats absolutely crazy. I wonder how much revenue he generated because that figure is mindblowing.
Say City are steaming as most of Twitter saying he was lowering his wages but still like 900,000 a week. So if City offered 750,000£ a week it be 40m a year which with the fee they spend on Grealish they could of got him for 3 years

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with all that except the part where you say if pep wasn’t there, he’d still go as it’s about the money, city have it and he’s greedy
since when get paid for your market value is greedy?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Griezmann was predictable a huge flop. He had already declined a bit and that much money at his age to a team and system completely foreign to anything he's played in and not being able to play in his normal position, it was always a horrible signing.

And no it really doesn't mean nothing. It means the long term future of the club is OK, less risk of bankruptcy, less dramatic drop offs and rebuilds.
It wasn't, you are saying this because it already happened, back when it he was signed not many people saw the signing as a flop for the reasons i mentioned.

And yes, sustainability without football success means nothing for the fans, unless you think there are Man Utd fans wanting more years of Glazers because of the economic sustainability (Man Utd is only surpassed by Bayern Munich in economic terms) despite not competing seriously in CL and Premier League for a decade...yes, i am sure United fans are asking for more years of Glazers.

Dolf

Can’t see his wife and kids leave Barcelona for longer than one year to be honest.
So my guess would be he either stays or joins PSG for one year

jlecesne

Well, looks like Barca are out. My guess is PSG or Chelsea. City don't need him.

I hope he goes to Chelsea. Doesn't fit into what Tuchel wants to do at all but I hope Roman forces the signing anyway and it turns into a debacle.

Kaos

I don’t think there’s any chance he comes to Manchester (either club). His best mate the snake would have probably bitched to him about how awful of a time he had here.

OleBoiii

My vote remains unchaged. Will stay.
It's a power play from Barca and Messi to get la liga to change the wage threshold to accommodate him. If PSG need to sell to buy Pogba, they sure won't be able to afford Messi.
He'll be at Barca.

I won't be surprised if he remains at Barca. This seems like a ploy by the club to blackmail La Liga to bend the rules a bit, cause even they will suffer as a brand.
Can’t see his wife and kids leave Barcelona for longer than one year to be honest.
So my guess would be he either stays or joins PSG for one year
Barca posted a 7 minute tribute video to Messi with the caption: "Thank you, Messi".

I'm starting to think he's leaving, lads.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'd love for him to go Juve to see him and Ronaldo play together and fight during every set piece

bosnian_red

It wasn't, you are saying this because it already happened, back when it he was signed not many people saw the signing as a flop for the reasons i mentioned.

And yes, sustainability without football success means nothing for the fans, unless you think there are Man Utd fans wanting more years of Glazers because of the economic sustainability (Man Utd is only surpassed by Bayern Munich in economic terms) despite not competing seriously in CL and Premier League for a decade...yes, i am sure United fans are asking for more years of Glazers.
Not at all true! Many were saying it at the time. Signing a 28 year old for that much and not using him in the position he's always played in is a bad idea. 2018/19 was Griezmanns worst season at Atletico by a distance and a huge drop off from the previous 5 years as well. Can pull up his transfer threads too. Was an obvious bad transfer and not a scary one at all.

And fans are fickle. Obviously the glazers can do things a lot better and they aren't good owners, but they're a lot more competent owners than what Barcas had. Barca has been lucky they've had Messi to drag them up on the pitch but now they'll see the true collapse. But take Spurs for example. So many clubs have crashed and burned trying to make a quick jump without sustainably making the gradual improvement. They've come a long way because of how sustainably they're run. You might get a couple of years of success if you aren't run sustainably, but then you'll crash and burn. The goal is success through sustainability, and has to be with any club or company.

Edit: here's my post from May 2019:
Hes going to flop so hard at Barcelona. Very overrated and system dependent. Annoying as feck on top of that.
Cant say I agree with him playing every position very well. He sacrifices himself, sure, but hes not very effective out wide for example, he goes missing in a lot of games/systems and really needs a specific striker to get the best out of him playing as a second striker. You say he's not declining, but I really don't see the same sharpness in him, the same agility, and in general the same level he had at his very best season. 28 isnt an unheard of year to start a slight decline. Lose some reaction time like Alexis Sanchez did and it doesnt take long to fall. Same with Rooney. That's not to say hes shit, far from it. Just that theres plenty of top sides where I just dont see how he would get in to their starting 11. Look at both City and Liverpool. He doesnt get in their starting teams. He has this reputation of being one of the very best in the world, when he's not all that close to that anymore (and only really had the one or seasons where he was truly world class).

Also he's very far from what Barca need IMO, and I don't see what he really brings to them. Suarez worked brilliantly because he could be a main striker and handle anyone physically with his aggression while Messi dropped off. The other player like Dembele would also make runs in behind with their pace. Griezmann isn't that quick these days (was never blistering anyway, but had quicker reactions), while he's also not going to replace Suarez at all. So you'll have Dembele, Messi and Griezmann kind of floating around but not really having a proper spot. It's just a signing which isnt suited to them IMO.

Last edited: