Gaming Metal Gear Solid

Ainu

To each his own, I absolutely loved everything about Death Stranding.
I liked it well enough until I got to the final stretch of chapters. Basically when the open world sort of ended and Kojima's storytelling took over. For all his Hollywood aspirations, he's far more skilled at crafting an enjoyable gameplay experience than writing a compelling narrative and characters.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
MGSV was too open for my liking. Also just way too long and repetitive.

I actually think MGS2 was my favourite. Then 3. I can't really even remember 4.
Been a long time since I played 4. Just have to be in the right mood to play that game and the bazillion cutscenes. I’m a lot less patient now so don’t know if I’d have it in me :lol:

AaronRedDevil

Been a long time since I played 4. Just have to be in the right mood to play that game and the bazillion cutscenes. I’m a lot less patient now so don’t know if I’d have it in me :lol:
Honestly the best tip I can give you is skip all the cutscenes from chapter 1 and 2. Except the Drebin scenes and the intro. Every cutscene from chapter 3 onwards is brilliant. Yeah there’s a lot of cutscenes :lol:. Had the best end fight imo. Two old legends beating the shite out of each other with the old music playing.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Honestly the best tip I can give you is skip all the cutscenes from chapter 1 and 2. Except the Drebin scenes and the intro. Every cutscene from chapter 3 onwards is brilliant. Yeah there’s a lot of cutscenes :lol:
Oh I love them and I love the story, it's just something you have to be in the mood for :lol:

Microwave tunnel is still one of my favourite moments in gaming.

AaronRedDevil

Skipping the cutscenes in MGS is like ordering a pizza and taking all the cheese and topping off. What's the point?
In mgs 4 they are looooong cutscenes. Especially with Naomi where she just talks bollocks for a full hour.

Brocky

In mgs 4 they are looooong cutscenes. Especially with Naomi where she just talks bollocks for a full hour.
Of course they are. I still stand by my opinion. It's all part of the experience of a MGS game, imo. I have completed Guns probably 6 or so times. The only play-through where I didn't skip the cutscenes was when I was going for my Big Boss rank. Not entirely sure if the time requirement included cutscene time, to be honest, but it helped to keep me in the zone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still need to get through V but I don’t consider it part of the main series. More a spin off title for me.
It's true. It felt separate entity on its own, which it's heavy focus on (brilliant) gameplay and more skeletal narrative. But I did really enjoy V for simply how it played. Also, I got it free on PS plays and have been pondering going back to it. It's just those repeating missions that put me off for a second play through.

But I do adore this series in general. The story telling, the hyper stylishness, the bosses etc it was just always a series that kept you on the edge of your seat and feeling like a child. Even 4 which I'm not sure is universally loved was an joy to play. I remember playing the demo (Olga!) of 2 repeatedly, it was as next gen as I've ever seen a game be.

Would love to see a proper old school MGS again but I suppose as far as new content, it's a series that's done.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Wish they’d make a MGSIV remaster, would be really cool. I loved that game.

Irwin99

MGS 4 has aged the worst IMO.

...and i'm still salty at getting to 91% trophy completion on MGS4 and one trophy off the platinum before I just had to give up because it was getting too annoying :mad:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

...and i'm still salty at getting to 91% trophy completion on MGS4 and one trophy off the platinum before I just had to give up because it was getting too annoying :mad:
Which trophy could you not get? I didn’t even attempt the platinum as I knew I wasn’t good enough to get it

haven’t played it for maybe a decade now so can’t say how it’s aged but I can imagine it having aged the worst. Very tempted to dust off my PS3 and work my way through them all again.

Bojan11

Which trophy could you not get? I didn’t even attempt the platinum as I knew I wasn’t good enough to get it

haven’t played it for maybe a decade now so can’t say how it’s aged but I can imagine it having aged the worst. Very tempted to dust off my PS3 and work my way through them all again.
I thought you hated playing old games. They should definitely remaster or remake some of the older games. Good old school stealth games are missing.

Irwin99

If I remember correctly it was either the one you get for collecting all music tapes or all codenames (or something along those lines) but there was one collectable that I was missing which required you to finish the game on the highest difficulty which was just too demanding and frustrating. I was so fatigued at that point that I had to quit. Never platinumed 2 either but did 3 and 5.

AaronRedDevil

Still my proudest platinum

Bojan11

I have the collection minus MGS 1. Can play them on Xbox one and series x. Can you play them on PS5 @esmufc07?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I have the collection minus MGS 1. Can play them on Xbox one and series x. Can you play them on PS5 @esmufc07?
MGS HD collection is on PS Now so I’d imagine you can stream from PS5, yes.

But I am very tempted to get my PS3 out and play through them all again, I have MGS on there and then the HD collection

evil_geko

MGS 1 and 2 were already ported on PC when they released, but they were lost in digital form or something? So this is kinda re-port.

Also MGS1 was already remade and it was a great remake which still holds for me, why do people need second remake, remake after remake after remake.

Bojan11

MGS HD collection is on PS Now so I’d imagine you can stream from PS5, yes.

But I am very tempted to get my PS3 out and play through them all again, I have MGS on there and then the HD collection
Stream. Why would I want to do that? When I have them downloaded.

Look at Elvis getting his PS3 out. Is it the fat version?

Bojan11

)_(

Seeing this thread pop up, I just want to complain about the potential mgsv had if it actually had been finished. I think it would've been great if the game went full circle, tying into mg1 and your final mission being fighting against solid snake. That would've been a great tie in into remaking mg1 and 2.

MGS4 is great though in all its ridiculousness. I never managed to actually get the hang of the cqc.

Woodzy

Seeing this thread pop up, I just want to complain about the potential mgsv had if it actually had been finished. I think it would've been great if the game went full circle, tying into mg1 and your final mission being fighting against solid snake. That would've been a great tie in into remaking mg1 and 2.

MGS4 is great though in all its ridiculousness. I never managed to actually get the hang of the cqc.
I never played MG1 but would that have made sense?

)_(

I never played MG1 but would that have made sense?
Yes, in mg1 solid snake fights and kills big boss but then later big boss returns, it's basically retconned that the big boss snake killed in mg1 is venom snake.

Glaswegian

Something possibly being announced next week. Rumours hint it could be a remake of the first game. Watched a recent interview with David Hayter and he says it is an industry rumour too...

Then there's this.

Please be something real.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I still see MGS4 as a new game.

It's closer to the release of the original than now

By several years

rotherham_red

Something possibly being announced next week. Rumours hint it could be a remake of the first game. Watched a recent interview with David Hayter and he says it is an industry rumour too...

Then there's this.

Please be something real.
Apparently it's either a board game or MGS 2 remake

AaronRedDevil

If I hear metal gear collection 1 through 4. I might just faint from excitement. It’s been too damn long that I haven’t played these games. My favourite games of all time.

Irwin99

MGS 2 still looks and plays really good. MGS 1 would be a better choice for a remake but I'd take anything really :drool: