Gaming Metal Gear Solid

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I can get why people like MGS2 but for me it has too much of look at what I've found on wikipedia Kojima to get around. Also the codec bits go on forever. Which is a shame because that tanker level at the start is so good.

Imo Kojima is great game designer but a awful storyteller.

Peace Walker would have been brilliant but for whatever reason you can't crawl on the ground. Such a weird choice, still everything else about the game is great. You can really see the building block from Peace Walker to MGSV
Yeah that's why I like it. It's like a mash-up of random ideas from post-structuralist thinkers, only set inside a videogame. It's not wholly successful true but certainly unique, and especially mind-blowing for a blockbuster game to attempt.

There's a whole other debate though around how much Kojima wrote and how much was done Tomokazu Fukushima. I'm inclined to think a lot of the mad bastard moments were from the latter based on their absence in later MGS games.

Can't comment on Peace Walker, I never played enough to judge.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I only have shit memories of 4 because I played it when I was unemployed for about 6 months and I remember doing a run to get the The Big Boss emblem which meant:
  • Complete the game in less than 5 hours
  • Use no continues
  • Use no health items e.g. rations, regain, etc.
  • Kill no enemies (Gekkos, Dwarf Gekkos and Sliders do not count as kills. You can kill bosses including Vamp but not the Beauties)
  • No alert phases (cautions are allowed)
  • No special items (stealth, bandana)
  • Complete the game on The Boss Extreme
Now imagine doing the motorbike section under those rules. It did lasting mental damage.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I only have shit memories of 4 because I played it when I was unemployed for about 6 months and I remember doing a run to get the The Big Boss emblem which meant:
  • Use no continues
  • Kill no enemies (Gekkos, Dwarf Gekkos and Sliders do not count as kills. You can kill bosses including Vamp but not the Beauties)
Now imagine doing the motorbike section under those rules. It did lasting mental damage.
But you did it right? You'll never forget that :)

I also remember now that I played 4 before any of the other games for some terrible reason. I must have spent half my time looking at Wikipedia trying to piece the plot together!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
  • Use no continues
I didn’t even attempt for that trophy. Kudos to you, it sounds like hell :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I also remember now that I played 4 before any of the other games for some terrible reason. I must have spent half my time looking at Wikipedia trying to piece the plot together!
They released an MGS Database app on the PS Store which was pretty cool and helped you keep track. You must have been very confused having not played any of the others.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

I wish I could! The frustration of that motorcycle section under those rules was something else. Countless times I was tempted the feck the controller at the wall but as I said, I was unemployed and broke so I couldn't afford to :lol:.

I didn’t even attempt for that trophy. Kudos to you, it sounds like hell :lol:
Pure hell. Never attempted anything like that in a game before or since.

Sweet Square

Yeah that's why I like it. It's like a mash-up of random ideas from post-structuralist thinkers, only set inside a videogame. Not wholly successful but certainly unique, and especially mind-blowing for a blockbuster game to attempt.
My vuglar marxist brain just can't take it. Although I sort of respect what it tried to do.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Could never get into MGS 3. MGS 2 is still the pinnacle of the series, and going to MGS 3 from there felt like a big downgrade. I disliked the survival mechanics they threw in there. Rather than being interesting, it was just tedious. Wasn't a huge fan of the setting, but I did quite like some of the bosses. At least those were interesting.

If any of the games from the series needs a remake it surely has to be MGS 1. That game is unplayable now.

Sweet Square

Could never get into MGS 3. MGS 2 is still the pinnacle of the series, and going to MGS 3 from there felt like a big downgrade. I disliked the survival mechanics they threw in there. Rather than being interesting, it was just tedious. Wasn't a huge fan of the setting, but I did quite like some of the bosses. At least those were interesting.

If any of the games from the series needs a remake it surely has to be MGS 1. That game is unplayable now.
Twin Snakes upscaled on the PC looks amazing

Irwin99

As a kid I remember being a bit freaked out by that codec scene in MGS2 near the end of the game. What with what's happening nowadays with social media, 'fake news', safe spaces, the deluge of information/misinformation etc it's aged really well.

On a side note, Kojima should make a horror game- i think he'd really excel at that.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
As a kid I remember being a bit freaked out by that codec scene in MGS2 near the end of the game. What with what's happening nowadays with social media, 'fake news', safe spaces, the deluge of information/misinformation etc it's aged really well.

On a side note, Kojima should make a horror game- i think he'd really excel at that.
Well, he was with Silent Hills but it got canceled, unfortunately. Would have been awesome, no doubt.

And yeah, MGS 2 was scarily prescient.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Well, he was with Silent Hills but it got canceled, unfortunately. Would have been awesome, no doubt.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Also, reading up on private armies/mercs from the US, Russia, or elsewhere operating in the Middle East, Central Africa, South America, etc literally reads like a MGS script.

Did I use “literally” correctly there? I’m always using it wrong. :wenger:

)_(

I downloaded mgs 1 on my ps3 at some point but I could barely get to the elevator :') Not used to playing with such limited movement anymore and when you've become used to mgs v where you can just run for it and not get fecked it's hard to get used to these older games again. I remember being so careful as a kid, nothing left of that now but might give it a try again some day. I love 4 for the nostalgia factor. I wish they'd remake mgs I but with those graphics, loved walking around Shadow Moses in 4. That's still the game I like the look of most and I loved the variety of the missions. I remember seeing the graphics for the first time and being amazed. 3 was more difficult for me with the jungle setting, apparently the enemies were camouflaged too well for me :') but i like the bosses of 3 more than 2. I also have a soft spot for 2 but it is a bit ridiculous, though to be fair all mgs games except for 5 are to some extent. But what I said about mgs I goes for all these older games, when you've become spoiled by new games these older ones become a lot harder. Basically, I wish they'd remake all the games with the technology and graphics we have now.