g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Michael Carrick image 16

Michael Carrick England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

Wow, can't believe all the "start him" posts. He will be a liability in the league. He has no pace and needs time on the ball which the Northampton players gladly gave him.

We already play with 9 outfield players. Can't make it 8 with Carrick starting as well.
yeah some people here, he's like Rooney in commentators eyes past three years, would get praised for simple things, of course Carrick had a good game today, nothing spectacular against the first league team though.. He has nothing to do in the starting line up against leicester especially when we start players as dynamic as Fellaini or Rooney, Pogba and Ibra are not the most dynamic either

Sigma

Should start this season. Carrick - Morgan - Pogba should be the first choice midfield 3
Said this before the start of the season.

Probably Herrera for Morgan but point still stands

Zoo

Exactly. They started pressing more after the first half an hour and wasn't able to control the game anymore. He's done at the highest level
Nah they were playing more long balls. We don't need him to control the game anymore, just to give the midfield stability and balance. Pogba is earmarked to take over as the main man.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Probably won't play on Saturday having played 90 minutes today, but i think he should be a starter for us this season, we just have to squeeze every last bit out of him and find his replacement next summer.

binary bot
Wow, can't believe all the "start him" posts. He will be a liability in the league. He has no pace and needs time on the ball which the Northampton players gladly gave him.

We already play with 9 outfield players. Can't make it 8 with Carrick starting as well.
You'd have a point if we had reasonable alternatives, but we have only Blind with a similar skill set. He'll get more time on the ball than in recent time with Pogba in the team. It's not as if Schneiderlin, Fellaini and Rooney excel with limited time on the ball. The alternatives are equally bad.

Walters_19_MuFc

People will kill me for this, but Rooney got slated for saying he has nothing to prove. No mention of it in here.

Anyway, I love Carrick. Favourite player along with Rooney. Hasnt got legs, but who needs them when you are superbly gifted on the ball and read the game so well.

Yes, its only Northampton, but time and time again we've seen him boss the midfield against EPL opponents. Controlled the midfield from start to finish tonight. Fantastic player.

Drainy

Sensible interview from him too.
Maybe I'm unrealistic but I'd love to hear one of our players respond a question about having to prove themselves with an answer about all players needing to prove themselves every game, rather than acting like because they've done it for years that they should still be in the team.

We've been off where we should be for 3-4 years now, players like Rooney and Carrick should accept that what they have done in their careers is in the past now.

Devil81

Hopefully starts Saturday, given Mourinho couldn't resist throwing Fellaini on, I doubt he will.

Witchking

He doesn't need pace, but he would still easily beat Blind in a foot race. His passing and his ability to find space makes him seem almost pedestrian. It's an art.
No, he is actually slower. I'm 100% sure Carrick is faster. Blind has a cool running style though; it looks fast, but then Peter Crouch overtakes him
United will lose 3 league games in a row if Carrick, Rooney, Zlatan, Fellaini all start on saturday. There's absolutely no pace in them and the game will just pass him by. Carrick should be kept from the starting 11 as far as possible.

Such cup games are fine and maybe the odd Europa League before United get knocked out as usual.

He should be starting only if United have an injury crises. No one doubts his talent for passing the ball and keeping the midfield ticking. But honestly he has become a liability. Especially against teams who are quite pacey, which would mean 3/4 of the premier league.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Has to be starting in the PL compared to our other options.

Devil may care

Some superb passing, obviously we were playing a lower league team and in the PL he wont have as much time on the ball, but it was just lovely to see someone in a United shirt orchestrating play like that.

Jacko21

This is why Schweinsteiger could (and should) have a role to play.

He and Carrick can both play the same role. You could play Carrick in the first 45 minutes and Schweinsteiger in the second 45, without altering shape or approach.

Would allow both to contribute week in, week out.

Caveat - it was Northampton.

Rossa

United will lose 3 league games in a row if Carrick, Rooney, Zlatan, Fellaini all start on saturday. There's absolutely no pace in them and the game will just pass him by. Carrick should be kept from the starting 11 as far as possible.

Such cup games are fine and maybe the odd Europa League before United get knocked out as usual.

He should be starting only if United have an injury crises. No one doubts his talent for passing the ball and keeping the midfield ticking. But honestly he has become a liability. Especially against teams who are quite pacey, which would mean 3/4 of the premier league.
Rooney and Fellaini out and Micky and Herrera in and you have your pace sorted.

Manny

Grammar Police
People will kill me for this, but Rooney got slated for saying he has nothing to prove. No mention of it in here.
Except he didn't say it like that. He said "I haven't played but the manager knows what I can do", "I can't change my game now".

No fecking ego, no "I should be starting" tone. Just "we're a team" and "we can't play all the games".

Bwuk

Carrick has to start. Leicester just sit behind the ball and look to break on the counter. Need someone who can unlock there defence.

ReDDHDevilS

As I've saying all along, Carrick should play against smaller teams at OT.

I wouldn't start him against Leicester though after playing full 90 minutes today.

His presence in the team is vital and we should have brought in a replacement in the summer if we weren't going to play him or rely on Blind as a CM.

ZupZup

Carrick can start and he'll play great. It does make me chuckle as it's as if players are suddenly meant to fall off a cliff when they get into their thirties. Modern footballers like Carrick who clearly looks after himself are absolutely fine... it's the recovery from games which may take a bit longer. As for pace, his game has never been about that anyway and he's never been a particularly quick player... but he doesn't need to be. Just stick to what he's good at and he's more than worth a starting place for us in any competition right now.

JeffBoomTetris

If that performance doesn't make him start vs Leicester, I don't know what will. He ran the show today.

Granted that he and the others in the middle couldn't control it after his goal. But the defense were constantly hoofing it. Or the forwards were conceding possession easily.

After he got into his foothold. He controlled the game calmly and assuringly

kunal18

Can you quote a few games when Carrick has been a liability?
He is the best passer in our team and he controls the game better than rest of our players.
Play him with two other midfielders and we will be fine.
I bet Pogba will look miles better with Carrick pulling the strings.

Eriku

Carrick can start and he'll play great. It does make me chuckle as it's as if players are suddenly meant to fall off a cliff when they get into their thirties. Modern footballers like Carrick who clearly looks after himself are absolutely fine... it's the recovery from games which may take a bit longer. As for pace, his game has never been about that anyway and he's never been a particularly quick player... but he doesn't need to be. Just stick to what he's good at and he's more than worth a starting place for us in any competition right now.
Seconded. I don't get why people think Carrick's suddenly gone to pieces and would be a liability. The way he made himself available, made little exchanges and gave the team a chance to change its shape is exactly what we've been missing.

Sylar

Basically, you play him in a three man midfield with pace around him (herrera and pogba) and it gets the best out of all three.
But it wont happen cos Rooney will be shoehorned in.

He should not be starting with Fellaini either.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Timely reminder of what he's brought to us over the years, even given the level of opposition.

Those long low passes he plays straight into the striker from deep are an absolute hallmark of his game and it gets us up the pitch so quickly. We don't have anyone else to do that at all.

Dobbs

Timely reminder of what he's brought to us over the years, even given the level of opposition.

Those long low passes he plays straight into the striker from deep are an absolute hallmark of his game and it gets us up the pitch so quickly. We don't have anyone else to do that at all.
Agree. The problem I always find with Carrick (over the last few years anyway) is that he'll come into the team and give us that but three games later he'll retreat into his shell. Happens everytime he gets back into the first XI.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Anyway, I love Carrick. Favourite player along with Rooney. Hasnt got legs, but who needs them when you are superbly gifted on the ball and read the game so well.

Yes, its only Northampton, but time and time again we've seen him boss the midfield against EPL opponents. Controlled the midfield from start to finish tonight. Fantastic player.
It's probably because Carrick literally has nothing to prove. When he plays, he's mostly excellent. Rooney has been wank for years and plays regardless. He therefore has everything to prove, and of course the denial of that is going to anger people.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Basically, you play him in a three man midfield with pace around him (herrera and pogba) and it gets the best out of all three.
But it wont happen cos Rooney will be shoehorned in.

He should not be starting with Fellaini either.
This.

'My captain shall always play' may as well be the new motto of Man Utd. :rolleyes:

Really pleased by Carrick. Not just his performances but also his words post-game.

He clearly had someone in mind when he said people need to calm down about playing or not playing. Like he said, we win together, we lose together. Its quite clear that he meant for someone among his teammates to hear those words.

Good work, great attitude.

snk123

Brilliant player. The only player we have who can drill passes in the middle and also switch play. Is a definite starter and I swear I read a post above saying he's done at this level after this performance and seeing the last 3 games.

We were crying out for somebody to control the game in the middle and Carrick is made for this. Carrick, Herrera and Pogba is an excellent midfield.

Litch

Did well today and difficult to argue against him not playing...

SambaBoy

We are crying out for someone to do what he does on a regular basis. Unfortunately Carrick is 34/35 and won't be playing every week, plus there will be games where he struggles due to his age.

But to have someone sitting in the middle of the pitch, dictating play, intelligent positioning, forward and incisive passing is exactly what we needed. Defensively he helps massively too, always in the right position to make interceptions and covering midfield runs. If we had a younger Carrick in a 3 with Pogba and Herrera, that would be a very well balanced midfield.

wiz4231

Some of you saying that it's only Northampton, name me 1 other midfielder in the current squad who could do what Carrick did in that game.
He's a class act and has to start with Herrera and Pogba. Rashford, Martial and Ibra upfront. Ditch 4231 - 433 is the way forward.
Drop Rooney and Fellaini.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This.

'My captain shall always play' may as well be the new motto of Man Utd. :rolleyes:

Really pleased by Carrick. Not just his performances but also his words post-game.

He clearly had someone in mind when he said people need to calm down about playing or not playing. Like he said, we win together, we lose together. Its quite clear that he meant for someone among his teammates to hear those words.

Good work, great attitude.
That was much more likely aimed at the press and the last few day's stuff about Rooney, wondering why on earth he is still getting picked.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He builds the play from midfield/defence so well, him and Blind really link up nicely to work little passing moves up the pitch. With Bailly/Smalling that just wouldn't happen.

Really pleased he got his goal (really well taken too) and controlled midfield all night. He's perfect for those sort of games.

montpelier

Carrick-Herrera-Pogba then?

But I don't like the idea of him dropping right back between the 2 CBs with Vardy on the prowl. As you may know from my very popular 3-5-2 thread/idea, I'd insure behind with Blind SW behind Smalling & Bailly. Get some legs in & around MC & 2 lively forwards would be my Footy Manager formation atm. Unfortunately we've got Zlatan & Rooney to crowbar in & Jose likes Fellaini.

ottosec

He scored a great goal, but I didn't think he was that great. I was surprised to see him get the MOTM, because Herrera was clearly better, imo.

I don't think he should be starting Saturday, especially against a team so hard working and aggressive as Leicester.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
whether he is past his best or not.. has to start and take him off once you sense he's not at the races.

Status
Not open for further replies.