Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Apparently he's fit for Chelsea.

Wouldn't be against playing him, Matic and Herrera against them.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Was he on the bench against Chelsea ?

Our current setup in midfield is shambles without Pogba. Changes are needed. Even with age and lack of pace Carrick can still pass better than any of our midfielders bar Pogba.

I'd start him next game if fit . Herrera and Matic is more than enough protection. Get Herrera to replace Mkhitaryan because he doesn't deserve to start .

Andersons Dietician

Actually kinda feel right now our midfield needs Carrick. There are things in his game that have obviously faded but he never says away from taking the ball and always makes the run to offer someone an angle in midfield just to give them that option. I’d actually be quite intrigued to see Carrick and Matic in midfield. Let Matic destroy and let Carrick cover plus his passing technique and ability to calm and control a game.

There was also a pass to Martial earlier in the season which was sublime and mm perfect and first time. It sucks he’s now what 34-36 great player vastly underrated for so many years by United fans

Norris

Is he really injured or is this one of those falling out things with Mou ?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I miss watching him play just as much as Pogba.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I remember how we was called upon last season around September/October and we won a large majority of the games he started. It's a real shame he got injured at such a crucial stage of the early season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I remember how we was called upon last season around September/October and we won a large majority of the games he started. It's a real shame he got injured at such a crucial stage of the early season.
That was our best run of form for the whole season. Mainly put down to Carrick getting the best out of Pogba. Matic looks to be capable of doing the same, then Pogba got injured. Sod’s law.

kundalini

It is certainly true that Carrick had a strong Nov/Dec (his first PL start was Swansea in early Nov) but in the 2nd half of the season the opposite is true, we won most of those PL games he was an unused sub for, and tended to draw or lose a lot of those matches he started, the matches he came on as a sub we were winning (with one exception) when he appeared and the score remained unchanged every time.

Obviously there were a lot of other factors in play during the 2nd half of last season and I wouldn't blame Carrick for our loses at Arsenal or Spurs.

2nd half of the season: Carrick started: won: West Ham (a), Mid (a), drew: Liv (taken off at h-t with us losing 0-1), Hull, Bournemouth, West Brom, Man City, Everton (taken off when losing 0-1), Swansea, lost Arsenal, Spurs

Came on as sub: 1 min Burnley (won 2-0), 45 mins Palace (2-0 at time), Southampton drew 0-0, 30 mins Chelsea 2-0 at time, finished same score

Unused sub: Stoke (1-1), Leicester (3-0), Watford (2-0), Sunderland (3-0)

---

First half of season: Carrick started PL match. 5 wins 2 draws 0 losses. 5 goals conceded in those 7 games compared to 14 conceded in the 12 games he didn't start. 13 goals scored when Carrick was playing in 7 starts (plus a few mins as sub v Leicester). No Carrick 16 goals in 12 PL matches.

Second half of season: Carrick started PL match. 2 wins 7 draws 2 losses. The most striking stat from the 2nd half of the season is that we conceded one goal when Carrick wasn't on the pitch (in about 750 mins), compared to 9 when he was. In terms of goals scored, 8 with Carrick on the pitch, 17 without him.

The conclusion I would draw from all this is that the other midfield players (Fellaini, Pogba, Herrera) took a long time to get used to the defensive responsibility, tracking runners etc, but by the 2nd half of the season they had largely figured it out, so were able to protect the defence without Carrick's assistance. Makes me wonder if we really needed Matic, though he has been impressive in most of our games this season.

Last edited:

prtk0811

Got injured at the worst time , when we needed the option.

Very unlucky with mourinho.

Luke1995

Starting to think he won't be back until 2018. Mourinho never talks about him...

Trizy

How did he get injured by not playing? :lol:
Phil Jones.

IAmAWinner

At times I really miss his composure and passing in midfield. I still feel he has something in his tank left, like he showed against Burton, albeit a weak opposition.
Would be really handy in the busy weeks coming, replacing Matic and giving him some needed rest.

rampo

Was watching some old videos and Carrick's passing was so good once upon a time

Btw, any update when he is back? We could do with some break for Matic

Luke1995

Is it possible that if he fully recovers (even if he doesn't play another game this season) the club could yet offer him a new deal for 2018-19 ?

I mean, if he gets fully fit even in 4 or 5 months from now, he could want to carry on playing

Backrow Singer

I feel like we're really missing this bloke, obviously Matic needs a rest for one but he's got that ability on the ball to find Pogba in space, to play Mata in on the angle, to get Martial or the full backs running in behind. He's someone who can get us ticking in games like today where we're trying to play through teams. Obviously we look like we're short of leaders as well and he's one who will instill some confidence into the players because of who he is and what he's done.

If he was out there on Monday with the arm band on I'd feel about more confident despite his limitations.

David_azul16

Any news on him? if doesn't play against Yeovil, i'd say his career as a professional footballer is over :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Bowman

I couldn't agree with article more. having a healthy Carrick made a stronger team...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/25/michael-carrick-liam-rosenior

Michael Carrick, a canny midfield marvel who went underappreciated

Liam Rosenior
The Manchester United player retires at the end of the season amid a sense that his unfussy, intelligent midfield prompting never got the recognition of his more celebrated peers

@rosenior_liam23

Thu 25 Jan 2018 16.30 GMTLast modified on Thu 25 Jan 2018 22.00 GMT

Ask yourself: who are the top English midfield players of the past 20 years? We’ll rightly look back and tell the next generation about the wonderful all-round ability of Steven Gerrard, the outstanding goalscoring record and timing of runs of Frank Lampard and the sheer technical prowess of Paul Scholes, who created and scored goals. But there’s another midfielder who deserves his place among these legends: a player with exceptional passing and ability to dictate the flow of a football match with his positional play and intelligence, who has been undervalued, underappreciated and overlooked – especially at international level.

Michael Carrick is set to retire at the end of this season and though he isn’t a player to grab the headlines with 30-yard goals into the top corner or ever top the charts in the goals scored or assists column, every time I watched him over the years for Manchester United he amazed me by making the game look so simple – not only making the correct pass but having an appreciation for his team‑mate to receive possession with a “message” so that they wouldn’t have to break stride or so that they knew exactly where their opponent was as well.

When we show the next generation of young midfield players the art of receiving possession on the half-turn from your defence, enabling your line of sight to open up the pitch so you know your next pass before you even receive the ball, there is no English player who has been as consistently good at this as Carrick. Nor one who has been able play the ball quickly, with both feet, between the lines to attacking players with short incisive passes – which don’t look as fancy as a 60-yard diagonal pass (though Carrick could also play those with ease) but hurt the opposition defence so much more.

When we look back at our “golden generation” and ask why we never maximised the potential of the world-class players we undoubtedly had in our ranks, I would argue that instead of asking the question about Lampard and Gerrard playing in the same team we should be asking why Carrick wasn’t the first name on the teamsheet behind them. He would have enabled these two superstars to have the freedom to play higher up the pitch and make the most of their abilities to create and score goals.

Look at the outstanding seasons both Gerrard and Lampard had in the Premier League and Champions League and you can’t argue with the fact that behind them they had either the intelligence and discipline of a Claude Makélélé or Javier Mascherano or in Gerrard’s case a similar player to Carrick in Xabi Alonso, players who gave the team defensive balance and seamless movement into forward areas.

For much of the past 40 years, the football culture and tactical philosophies developed in this country have had a fascination with direct, exciting high-tempo games full of goals or strong tackling in midfield areas, which put Carrick, and the appreciation of his qualities, at a disadvantage and meant that he was overlooked at times for his country, which was to the detriment of our national team.

Thankfully, through a more cosmopolitan outlook as well as the involvement of progressive and positive coaches from abroad in our game, our ideas have evolved in recent years and the approach to coaching has changed dramatically as has the quality of our competitions.

Carrick thrived as his skill set was more appreciated and there could be no greater compliment than the one paid by Pep Guardiola, who has said Carrick would be the only one who would have got into his wonderful Champions League-winning Barcelona team that they put on a masterclass against United at Wembley in 2011. For a player in the role that Guardiola made his own – never mind the coach’s part in the emergence of Sergio Busquets in that Barcelona team – there can be no higher praise.

Carrick won countless trophies at Manchester United both domestically and on the continent as a key component of the side, yet over the course of his excellent career won only 34 England caps. I can’t help but feel that if Carrick was Spanish, Italian or German his caps tally would be a lot higher because of the different way they celebrate and value these deep-lying midfield playmakers.

I’ve never had the opportunity to discuss football with Michael Carrick but I feel that this is not the end of his outstanding career in the game but the beginning of another amazing one. The statement made by José Mourinho that after the end of this season he expects Carrick to join Manchester United’s coaching staff was no shock. If he displays in his new coaching role his football intelligence and technical understanding in the way he did as a player I wouldn’t be surprised to see him develop top young players and then coach or manage at the very top.

Perhaps then one day we may appreciate him as much as we should have in his playing days, though not as a player but as a coach/manager instead.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The 1st time ball out to Sanchez was pure quality. Only Pogba can do that from this team.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was nonexistent for large parts of them, no doubt that was because of his long lay off but claims he was ‘excellent’ are way off.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But Pogba usually wants to take a few touches. Carrick is much better at spotting the early pass, instead of waiting for the perfect opportunity.
That's right. Pogba has done it like this a few times but usually likes taking touches.

Luke1995

Gotta enjoy every remaining game with the last standing member of the 2006-09 squad while we can. The captain, the coach, the legend, Michael Carrick!

Sandyman

Thought he played well given the state of the pitch and that this is his first competitive match in God knows how long. Will help us give Matic some must needed rest.

youngrell

Was like a training match for him. Walked around controlling the game in so much space despite the lack of urgency, all down to his experience and nous.

Made a few sloppy mistakes but you'd expect that after so long out plus the pitch being a bit poor.

Good to have him back. It's a shame he's spent his final season being injured, especially after being so reliable most of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.