Michael Carrick | 2021/22 Interim-Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
The main thing I want to see is a back four that knows where to be in relation to each other. If Carrick can fix that, we can easily get back to our form from last season. Top 2 is probably beyond us though. But a 70+ point finish should still secure top 4.

The attack is too good to not score lots of goals. Don't think he needs to do too much work there.

That £18.6m transfer fee in 2006 is suddenly looking like even better value now. It's got us the heir apparent to Keano and now Solksjaer as well. Could Marcos Senna have done that? Could he feck.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just what we need. Great positional sense to sit in front of the defence and snuff out attacks. Should help progress the ball from the back to our key playmakers too.

ExoduS

The main thing I want to see is a back four that knows where to be in relation to each other. If Carrick can fix that, we can easily get back to our form from last season. Top 2 is probably beyond us. But a 70+ point finish will secure top 4.

The attack is too good to not score lots of goals. Don't think he needs to do too much work there.

That £18.6m transfer fee in 2006 is suddenly looking like even better value now. It's got us the heir apparent to Keano and now Solksjaer as well. Could Marcos Senna have done that? Could he feck.
Carrick was most likely already in a position to fix that and fix many other things but he didn't. I would not keep my hopes very high. We need a complete new team of coaches to sort out this mess. Ole was just the tip of an iceberg.

CG1010

I so wish this was actually a player performance thread. A Carrick of 2012-13 levels would have transformed this team.

MoskvaRed

Has there ever been an ad interim caretaker before or are United at the forefront of managerial innovation here?

Foxbatt

Has there ever been an ad interim caretaker before or are United at the forefront of managerial innovation here?
Giggs. He promptly dropped Fellaini and the next manager and the following managers brought him back. They are still trying to play as if they are playing during the era of SAF. The sooner this lot get kicked out the better it is. None of them who played under SAF should be anywhere near the club.

lawliet354

He's gonna prove people and wrong and actually do well and won all of the matches

And then Rio and Gary gonna lick his boots so passionately after 3 flukey wins, 1 against Tuchel's Chelsea, and the rest is history, Carrick's at the wheel let's gooooooo

always_hoping

United a team with no good or even decent quality defensive midfielder now managed by a former player who was a good quality defensive midfielder hmm.

meamth

Van De Beek is the answer if Carrick wants to change anything.

Hopefully Van De Beek - Fred - Bruno is a thing now until a new manager comes and teach them off the ball possession play... :nervous:

Wasn't Carrick supposed to be transforming McTominay into the positionally smart, cultured defensive midfielder he once was? Doesn't say much about his coaching ability when that player has gone backwards since he started. As has the midfield as a unit.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He was part of the problem along with Mckenna.

This is going to get worse.
The good news is it can’t get worse. We can carry on getting thrashed but it can’t get worse than watching 11 strangers who look like they have a phobia of footballs.

pascell

Wasn't Carrick supposed to be transforming McTominay into the positionally smart, cultured defensive midfielder he once was? Doesn't say much about his coaching ability when that player has gone backwards since he started. As has the midfield as a unit.
Can't polish a turd mate

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I adore Michael Carrick but I'm p'n myself ahead of Villareal.

By all accounts Carrick and McKenna have done most of the coaching under Ole. So what, exactly, is going to change tomorrow night? I'm not campaigning for Carrick to have been fired. However, from the players' perspective, how is this going to lead to reset? Its the same guys taking training who've been taking training for ages.

Its like removing Ed Woodward, replacing him with Richard Arnold, and expecting the change to be as big as City replacing Gary Cook with Soriano. Arnold has been a Woodward guy since Bristol University. Nothing will change. Likewise, Carrick has been part of this set up for years. Why is anything going to change?

Unless Carrick's been telling Ole stuff and being ignored, which is possible. Why should we expect anything different than what we've been seeing?

I just pray we leave Spain with a point.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Apparently the next best thing since Ferguson…

I mean Darren, not his father.

Cloud7

Does he not have a middle name?

Carrick was my favorite United player in the post Ronaldo era. He's been one of my favorite midfielders in my time as a United fan (I love the Carrick/Alonso/Busquets type of midfielder) and the player that I tried (and still do) to play like when playing football with my friends.

Cloud7

I so wish this was actually a player performance thread. A Carrick of 2012-13 levels would have transformed this team.
Those sorts of players are extremely rare. A player that can defensively shore up a midfield properly, as well as dictate the game from deep and play mouth watering passes. They are few and far between. There haven't been many of this specific type of player at the world class level in the last 10-15 years or so with the exception of Carrick, Busquets and Alonso.

Rodri is probably the closest thing to it right now.

croadyman

Praying he doesn't make the same mistake as Ole and actually DEMANDS some experienced coaches. Mind you I don't know why I'm wasting my breath thinking it's even a possibility.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I have always believed that midfielders make the best managers due to them playing inbetween an attack and defence and playing to get the best out of both of them. A midfielder can have the duties of defending just as much as to pass to create something.

Whilst it's never 100% accurate - you do get a Pirlo and Arteta for every Pep Guardiola or Zidane.

I'm quite excited to see Carrick as an interim manager.

He played football in a beautiful way, arguably playing in one of the most technically gifted teams of all time in that United 07-09 era and has learnt arguably the best man management from SAF whilst also playing and learning from the most strict and 'scientific style of team philosophy and tactics when he played and learnt from Van Gaal.

He has also seen & been a part of United's best time just as much as Uniteds worst time. Whilst he can be pointed out to blame for being part of it all and never really changing it; I do wonder if someone who has seen the best and the worst can also make the improvement that may be required at United.

Not saying that he is worth the permanent job or anything :lol: but that I am just interested in how Carrick will manage us - will he turn to be our Pirlo/Arterta or will he be our Pep or Zidane? Let's just see.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Carrick and Maguire, two people who are most to blame for Ole's sacking are in charge now and giving interviews. This is infuriating. At least, hide Maguire.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Everyone is pretty negative about him, rightfully, as he had a big role in our coaching under Ole it seems, which looked horrible.

I look forward to his short tenure. We all know that he was a brilliant footballer, very clever. We don't know the extent to which he could influence Ole's incompetence. There might be a decent manager there, and I'd like to see that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Clearly can’t be said that he inspires confidence when he speaks.

Nick7

I’ve just realised I can’t remember the last time I heard Carrick talk and have no idea what he sounds like.

Status
Not open for further replies.