Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Tiber

Rangnick should apply for an apprenticeship under Carrick, he might learn something about how to take over a team mid season and improve them

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rangnick should apply for an apprenticeship under Carrick, he might learn something about how to take over a team mid season and improve them
Stop it, it's already dead (his big club managerial career).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Both McKenna and he are doing really well - great to see.

Hughes35

Great to see him doing well.

Great player and an ultimate pro. Not too surprised he's doing well, intelligent player and seemed a clever guy + very level headed.

Hopefully he gets them promoted and does well in the PL.

philnguyen1994

Another win to cement their 3rd place and keep pressure on Sheff Utd in 2nd, this time 3-1 away at Cardiff.

Should have been way more comfortable though. They gifted a goal to Cardiff, hit the post twice and were a bit complacent and sloppy at times.

Last edited:

SlothIsLove

He took them from just above regelation position to top 3. Hope it continues and he gets them back to the PL. Boro is my second team so it'd be even better.

NYAS

Is this an Ole-style new manager bounce or is he the real thing?

philnguyen1994

Very interesting management style. In the post-match interview, he just straight-up took "full responsibility" for a mistake by his goalkeeper (hospital pass in front of the defender straight onto Cardiff's striker) because it was him who asked them to play out of the back. I understand protecting your players in public but don't think I've ever heard a manager going that far before.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Very interesting management style. In the post-match interview, he just straight-up "took full responsibility" for a mistake by his goalkeeper (hospital pass in front of the defender straight into Cardiff's striker) because it was him who asked them to play out of the back. I understand protecting your players in public but don't think I've ever heard a manager going that far before.
I think Brendan Rodgers did exactly that back when he was Swansea manager. We beat them 1-0 after Hernandez pounced on their keeper. He just said I want us to play out from the back, the error is my fault.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Another win to cement their 3rd place and keep pressure on Sheff Utd in 2nd, this time 3-1 away at Cardiff.

Should have been way more comfortable though. They gifted a goal to Cardiff, hit the post twice and were a bit complacent and sloppy at times.

Last one makes him sound biblical. :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would love for him to prove to be a world class manager and return to United at some point. He’s just such a classy fella.

LARulz

Last one makes him sound biblical. :lol:
Like Keane when he took Sunderland from bottom to winners of the Championship

I hope Carrick continues to do well and is in the PL. Would like him to be a potential option

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Like Keane when he took Sunderland from bottom to winners of the Championship

I hope Carrick continues to do well and is in the PL. Would like him to be a potential option
Hasn't put a foot wrong thus far. Problem is the overlap with ten Hag would rely on the Dutchman wanting to leave in reasonable enough time, perhaps after a period of success and dominance, otherwise, if Carrick really does look the business in the PL, he'll not be able to wait around for decade(s) for ten Hag to call it a day, which... yeah, we'll see.

Long way to go before concerning ourselves with such things.

city-puma

Would love for him to prove to be a world class manager and return to United at some point. He’s just such a classy fella.
Exactly! No one knows for sure at this point if he can progress to an elite manager but he won’t be lack of that wish from manutd fans.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hasn't put a foot wrong thus far. Problem is the overlap with ten Hag would rely on the Dutchman wanting to leave in reasonable enough time, perhaps after a period of success and dominance, otherwise, if Carrick really does look the business in the PL, he'll not be able to wait around for decade(s) for ten Hag to call it a day, which... yeah, we'll see.

Long way to go before concerning ourselves with such things.
Carrick’s career has only just started. If he proves himself to be a top manager one day (HUUUUGE if) then he can always leave whatever his job then would be for the United one.

mav_9me

I haven't seen Boro at all but I think there is big possibility he is the real thing. Because people are praising not just the results, it's the style of football he has implemented that's getting him most of the plaudits. How quickly he has done it too is a real credit to him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Lovely to see him doing so well.

One of the most underrated United players of arguably our finest era.

Would enjoy seeing him back at OT in future.

432JuanMata

Real thing. Him and McKenna are very good coaches.
My cousin is a boro fan and while they were better than there league position suggested he says Carrick has the players playing well above there level.

Carrick comes across as an intelligent person and hid footballing brain is immense so I agree he seems the real deal

Remember the geese

My cousin is a boro fan and while they were better than there league position suggested he says Carrick has the players playing well above there level.

Carrick comes across as an intelligent person and hid footballing brain is immense so I agree he seems the real deal
Yeah I can fully believe it. Funny how the understated Michael Carrick is performing brilliantly while the microscope has been heavily on Lampard and Gerrard.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Well, I imagine he's had a pretty good apprenticeship. First as a senior player under SAF, then as a coach under Van Gaal, and Mourinho, and as an assistant Manager under OGS. He's been exposed to a wide array of management styles and approaches, and had a wide array of responsibilities. He's obviously someone who isn't just chancing his hand at management and coaching, as so many former big name pros do. He's clearly spent his post playing days learning and honing his craft; which is the important part. Many players serve such apprenticeships as coaches, but they don't absorb the information and learning. Carrick strikes me as a pretty smart guy, and from what I've seen of him as interim, and then Boro' manager, he understands modern coaching and playing principles very well.

Only time will tell if he is the real deal, but the signs are very promising so far. I love to see it. One of my favourite United players.

432JuanMata

Yeah I can fully believe it. Funny how the understated Michael Carrick is performing brilliantly while the microscope has been heavily on Lampard and Gerrard.
It’s like his career all over again. Carrick was so underrated outside of United and for England they tried playing Gerrard and Lampard together when they needed a Carrick in there.

I’m glad he goes under the radar as look how Lampard and Gerrard turned out in management. Carrick is doing some job and hopefully gets Boro up

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Carrick’s career has only just started. If he proves himself to be a top manager one day (HUUUUGE if) then he can always leave whatever his job then would be for the United one.
Point is, if ten Hag is successful and is interested in legacy building, he'll not be going anywhere for a very long time. If Carrick is a special manager in the making, he'll either have to bide his time at lesser clubs, or take one of the big jobs on.

Erik ten Hag says he feels 'connected' to Manchester United - him doing a Fergie or Busby if everything clicks isn't unimaginable, so the first determinant for Carrick isn't even in his hands, this is under the assumption he is one day ready for the job.

Not trying to put a downer on anything, just pointing out the logistic hurdles.

Ace of Spades

Ffs, just let him do well without putting moronic expectations on him.

Hope he makes it to a top league and gets a good club to manage, same for McKenna. Would be great to see both of them doing well at the highest level.

led_scholes

I am happy for him. Even if becomes a stable pl manager that's a massive success. Having ten haag for many years means that ETH will be successful so I am OK if we never have Carrick in charge if he becomes one of the best.

Revaulx

I’m delighted but not altogether surprised. He seems the sort who would be self critical and learn from his mistakes; something that Lampard, despite his high IQ, seems seemingly incapable of.

whitbyviking

Middlesbrough were “better than their position” but a good manger in Wilder couldn’t get them playing, they looked clueless and were in the situation that they could go down despite being too good, like many teams before have.

Carrick has turned them around completely, not just got them playing to their level (which should in theory have been easy since the players had just stopped playing for Wilder) but actually changed the whole attitude and situation at the club. He has his own style that he obviously coaches the players in, and they play attractive football. He’s even getting a tune out of people like Akpom, who looked finished in the championship. There are a lot of individuals who are now looking like good players.

The one area they could improve is they are very open and give a lot of chances away, but so far they seem to be getting away with it.

They are good to watch though, and I don’t think they’ve been that since the days of Juninho, Ravanelli etc. my old fellar has been a season ticket holder there since the 60s and he’s actually not complained about them since Carrick got going