Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

CM

Really happy for him. Carrick's doing a great job with that team

arthurka

Really hope he gets Boro promoted. They play some brilliant football.

I watched this game on the telly live and Boro just looked so much better that Blackpool it was embarrassing. Carrick is working something close to black magic up there.

Sylar

We saw signs of this when he was our caretaker manager for a couple of games v Chelsea and arsenal. Glad he's doing so well and making a name for himself. Would be nice to see him get boro promoted and maybe even established in the top league

stu_1992

Doing a great job by the looks of things. Fair play to him. If they don't manage to get promoted it could be a great place to send loanees next year as they certainky play the right way.

Djemba-Djemba

When you think of how utterly appalling we were last season, Carricks short run as interim manager was probably the highlight of the season.

Good win away vs Villareal, we're usually awful vs Spanish teams
Point away to Chelsea, when they were good
Beat Arsenal.

Great to see him doing so well at Middlesbrough.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
He didn't let them down. I was pleasantly surprised, and I definitely didn't expect that.
You could say we all got Carrick-rolled.

Robbie Boy

Currently winning 3-1 away to second placed Sheffield United, with 5 minutes left to play.

whitbyviking

Cracking performance so far from Middlesbrough vs Sheff United. Proper promotion 6 pointer, and with plenty of games left they might fancy their chances of stealing the 2nd automatic place. Think Archer could get a bag full for them and Akpom keeps scoring, they’ve had mixed luck with ex arsenal players over the years and he looked a failure at one point

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
3-1 win at Sheffield Utd (2nd in Championship) to cut the gap between the teams from 10 points to 7, with Sheff Utd having one game in hand. With the form Boro are in and the amount of matches still to be played, who knows if they can even push for an automatic promotion.

Carrick is doing a wonderful job.

12-1-3, 2.3125 points per game since Carra took over
4-5-7, 1.0625 ppg start of the season prior to the manager change

If they don't get promoted, I can see a few of the smaller clubs in PL taking a punt on Chuba Akpom. 18 goals in 27 games in all comps.

Infestissumam

12 wins in 16 games is insane, especially factoring in where they were before appointing him. Really happy for him, hope he can get them promoted.

philnguyen1994

3-1 win at Sheffield Utd (2nd in Championship) to cut the gap between the teams from 10 points to 7, with Sheff Utd having one game in hand. With the form Boro are in and the amount of matches still to be played, who knows if they can even push for an automatic promotion.
Would still require a collapse in form from Sheff Utd for Boro to get auto promotion.

However, this loss must have hurt Sheff Utd's morale - their manager got sent off and one of their players got into an argument with their own fans towards the end of the game so hopefully they will collapse indeed.

Last edited:

whitbyviking

I would say now he’s exceeding expectations. Think many of the boro fans expected to challenge for playoffs, then after the bad start they must have been thinking top 10. Now they are challenging for the autos. Always seems a team cones from nowhere in the championship. Might be them this year.

philnguyen1994

I would say now he’s exceeding expectations. Think many of the boro fans expected to challenge for playoffs, then after the bad start they must have been thinking top 10. Now they are challenging for the autos. Always seems a team cones from nowhere in the championship. Might be them this year.
Not many Boro fans were even expecting top 10 when Carrick was appointed. Boro was outside the relegation zone on goal difference. They would have settled for safety this season and would have laughed if you'd told them Boro would be 3rd putting pressure on 2nd comes Feb.

BorisManUtd

So happy to see him doing well atm. Hopefully he becomes a quality manager unlike rest of our ex players.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Carrick came across as a more than capable manager at United last season when he successfully navigated a tricky run of fixtures vs Villarrael, Chelsea and Arsenal. Looking back, that was one of our only bright sparks of the season.

I remember reading a quote from Herrera a few years ago about how Carrick's rousing speech at half time vs Man City was what inspired the players to turnaround a 2-0 loss and win 3-2 against the odds. He must be showing those kind of motivational skills to inherit a Middlesbrough squad that wasn't far off relegation and have them climbing up the table as promotion contenders.

I hope to see him in the Premier League next season. He was a talented (and criminally underrated) footballer and now he's showing that he's also a talented manager.

Reactions: oates

Member 125288

Would still require a collapse in form from Sheff Utd for Boro to get auto promotion.
Wouldn’t be so sure of that - Sheffield United’s next 6 all against top half teams, and 4 of them are away, Boro 5 of their next 6 against bottom half teams, and all the momentum is with them.

Tapori

Carrick came across as a more than capable manager at United last season when he successfully navigated a tricky run of fixtures vs Villarrael, Chelsea and Arsenal. Looking back, that was one of our only bright sparks of the season.

I remember reading a quote from Herrera a few years ago about how Carrick's rousing speech at half time vs Man City was what inspired the players to turnaround a 2-0 loss and win 3-2 against the odds. He must be showing those kind of motivational skills to inherit a Middlesbrough squad that wasn't far off relegation and have them climbing up the table as promotion contenders.

I hope to see him in the Premier League next season. He was a talented (and criminally underrated) footballer and now he's showing that he's also a talented manager.
Definitely.

His solidity helped in that CL tie and he had a solid record and definition to his play with better defensive solidarity and more varied direct transitions.
Superb so far for his boyhood club and hope he does well. Future

Idxomer

His points-per-game average would get him over 100 points in an entire championship season.

city-puma

After the win last weekend, I called it spectacular. Now, it’s sensational! No idea how much difference though. So happy for him!

massi83

If he can make a right winger out of Marcus Forss he must be a miracle worker.

philnguyen1994

So what are his weaknesses thus far? He sounds flawless to this point in time?
Bit naive at times against opponents who were clear favourites and simply superior in quality, tried to play pretty passing football against Brighton in the FA Cup and Burnley away and got beaten quite comfortably.

And yeah, he's still quite boring in press conferences, although his players have praised his calmness a lot. Questionable dress sense too with some Scott Parker-esque cardigans :lol:.