Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Bert_

After all the criticism, him and McKenna have done really well in managerial roles so far, at difficult clubs.
It was ridiculous. No one had a clue about their coaching quality or how much input they had into tactics, training plans etc. There just seemed to be childish tantrums attacking anyone associated with the club for the whole of last season. It was disgraceful.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
They whitewash it now with some incredible mental gymnastics.
That’s always the case. Just look at the ridiculousness surrounding Rashford. We had threads like “Rashford: New contract or sell?”. People writing him off saying he’ll never be good enough. Didn’t have the ability to improve. Etc etc. And again, those of us who preached some patience and common sense were berated. I’ve lost track of the amount of threads about some of our players and staff that are too stupid to contemplate. And it’s not just ridiculous takes. It’s the vitriol that comes with it.

You’d think history would’ve taught some people not to be so knee jerk, but that’s a forlorn hope. Antony is the current target. And he may or may not turn out to be a great player. Point is, no one really knows. But we’ve got plenty of experts to tell us how worried we should be, and that he’ll never be good enough. At 22, after barely just over half a season in a new country and the toughest league in the world. Garnacho will be next, as soon as he has an extended blip in form; which is inevitable.

ScholesyTheWise

That’s always the case. Just look at the ridiculousness surrounding Rashford. We had threads like “Rashford: New contract or sell?”. People writing him off saying he’ll never be good enough. Didn’t have the ability to improve. Etc etc. And again, those of us who preached some patience and common sense were berated. I’ve lost track of the amount of threads about some of our players and staff that are too stupid to contemplate. And it’s not just ridiculous takes. It’s the vitriol that comes with it.

You’d think history would’ve taught some people not to be so knee jerk, but that’s a forlorn hope. Antony is the current target. And he may or may not turn out to be a great player. Point is, no one really knows. But we’ve got plenty of experts to tell us how worried we should be, and that he’ll never be good enough. At 22, after barely just over half a season in a new country and the toughest league in the world. Garnacho will be next, as soon as he has an extended blip in form; which is inevitable.
re: the bolded part,

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by quite a number of caf postets who seem to find the middle ground with Antony,
being both somewhat worried/skeptical but also very patient because he's so young and new to this league.

But yeah, what you're talking about is very common on the Caf and is quite annoying.
Haaland went from being the best striker ever to "a crap dribbler who doesn't fit City" in a matter of weeks.

VivaRonaldo85

What a job he’s doing at Middlesbrough. At this rate of success he could find himself in a Premier League job with or without Boro.

Flexdegea

re: the bolded part,

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by quite a number of caf postets who seem to find the middle ground with Antony,
being both somewhat worried/skeptical but also very patient because he's so young and new to this league.

But yeah, what you're talking about is very common on the Caf and is quite annoying.
Haaland went from being the best striker ever to "a crap dribbler who doesn't fit City" in a matter of weeks.

This is a knee jerk from the Caf that seems to be spot on, even the city men are saying it :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He left United because he wanted to and I think its the correct decision. If anyone thinks theyre good enough to be the manager, they have to try it at some point. Who knows they might be the new Jose, Ten Hag, Pep in several years. Imagine how miserable he would be if he stayed as an assistant to Rangnick.

Levi1

Yes, absolutely. Was ridiculous stuff at the time. And those of us that stood up for them were met with some real vitriol from the standard mouth frothing, knee jerk brigade.
But he had a point. They had no experience and so were unable to provide contraopinions to Ole. Now that he's worked in management at a decent level (and so successfully), I'd happily take him as assistant manager (though he may very well decline, as is his right). He may already then have been a better manager than Shteve McLaren, but id rather have Shteve as assistant.

Halftrack

It was ridiculous. No one had a clue about their coaching quality or how much input they had into tactics, training plans etc. There just seemed to be childish tantrums attacking anyone associated with the club for the whole of last season. It was disgraceful.
I remember someone mentioning our coaches (Carrick, McKenna) had their badges, so obviously weren't the unqualified incompetents they were being made out as, and one particular poster found that notion so ridiculous that they spent the next couple of months making sarcastic "but they have their badges!" quips.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He’s doing a top job. He’s definitely showing up lampard and Gerrard. He doesn’t get enough praise though.

redcucumber

He’s doing a top job. He’s definitely showing up lampard and Gerrard. He doesn’t get enough praise though.
Bit premature, they also did good jobs at lower level clubs before being found out in the PL.

tomaldinho1

The caf summed up.

Carrick/McKenna lead training for years and results aren’t good enough = coaches not good enough.

Carrick/McKenna take lower league jobs and do well = coaches were good enough.

1st example can make sense, Ole shafted then in my opinion but they were leading training so what we saw on the pitch was Carrick/McKenna coaching.

2nd example is classic caf ignoring context. Don’t think anyone needs to have it explained to them it’s possible you aren’t good enough for United but could be good enough for a team lower down the division.

Let them go and prove themselves and then, in an ideal world, someone like Carrick can get a big job on merit in the future but not any time soon.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
But he had a point. They had no experience and so were unable to provide contraopinions to Ole. Now that he's worked in management at a decent level (and so successfully), I'd happily take him as assistant manager (though he may very well decline, as is his right). He may already then have been a better manager than Shteve McLaren, but id rather have Shteve as assistant.
Yep. I think most sensible posters didn't really have an issue with Carrick or McKenna themselves, but moreso that the two of them alongside Ole were all utterly inexperienced at management and coaching at the top level. Put one of Carrick or McKenna in alongside a more experienced and proven management set-up and it may likely have been a very different result. Hell, even Ole as manager with highly experienced and proven coaching team under him would likely have done better.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
My first thought is that that would make quite a lot of sense, but thinking about it more I don't see it happening. He's so early in his managerial journey and West Ham will likely be wanting a manager with experience of relegation battles. I also doubt he'll want to leave Middlesbrough so soon.
my guess is he's too loyal a bloke to quite Middlesbrough even if approached

Revaulx

The caf summed up.

Carrick/McKenna lead training for years and results aren’t good enough = coaches not good enough.

1st example can make sense, Ole shafted then in my opinion but they were leading training so what we saw on the pitch was Carrick/McKenna coaching.

2nd example is classic caf ignoring context. Don’t think anyone needs to have it explained to them it’s possible you aren’t good enough for United but could be good enough for a team lower down the division.

Let them go and prove themselves and then, in an ideal world, someone like Carrick can get a big job on merit in the future but not any time soon.
I don’t think we can be certain of this. There were rumours that Ole and Phelan would interfere and give instructions to players prior to games which went against what the coaches had been doing with them.

We certainly looked a far better organised side from the very start of Carrick’s brief caretaker spell.

BerryBerryShrew

Lampard didn't, and Gerrard did well at Rangers to be fair.
Weren't there rumours that Gerrard was pretty much a glorified mascot at Rangers and that his assistant basically did his job for him? It would explain why Rangers collapsed under Stevie after the assistant left for QPR and why he did such a poor job at Villa.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Weren't there rumours that Gerrard was pretty much a glorified mascot at Rangers and that his assistant basically did his job for him? It would explain why Rangers collapsed under Stevie after the assistant left for QPR and why he did such a poor job at Villa.
I didn't know that, not sure how true that is though?

lex talionis

What a job he’s doing at Middlesbrough. At this rate of success he could find himself in a Premier League job with or without Boro.
I hope Carrick doesn’t go to Chelsea after they sack Potter. He’d gave them purring in the top four in no time.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bit premature, they also did good jobs at lower level clubs before being found out in the PL.
Hardly overwhelmed. Lampard didn’t do an awful lot at derby. And anyone can manage Rangers. Gerrard got found out the most when he jumped to the prem… he’s ruined his chances of taking over the scousers.

hobbers

He's doing a great job at Middlesborough. Should be staying there to fight for promotion this season and then staying next season as well to build himself up.

Before he even thinks of taking a job at a bigger club. Or he'll just end up the next Gerrard/Lampard.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He's doing a great job at Middlesborough. Should be staying there to fight for promotion this season and then staying next season as well to build himself up.

Before he even thinks of taking a job at a bigger club.
Thank God you're not his advisor.

If a PL club comes in for him at any point he'll be off, and he should.

Managerial careers are rarely linear like you suggest and many people on here think. Next season he could do everything right and Middlesbrough could end up midtable Championship and that's the end of his chapter.

hobbers

Thank God you're not his advisor.

If a PL club comes in for him at any point he'll be off, and he should.
Sure, if he wants to have the same flat lining career trajectories of his fellow England midfielders.

If he keeps going with Middlesborough as they have been he could be a Premier League manager next season :lol:

adexkola

Supports
Sure, if he wants to have the same flat lining career trajectories of his fellow England midfielders.

If he keeps going with Middlesborough as they have been he could be a Premier League manager next season :lol:
There are no guarantees of success or money with any path. Look at Potter.

When a big club calls, pick it. Get paid. And try your best. If you fail, you can always go back to the Championship. You may not be back in the PL again.

hobbers

There are no guarantees of success or money with any path. Look at Potter.

When a big club calls, pick it. Get paid. And try your best. If you fail, you can always go back to the Championship. You may not be back in the PL again.
If Potter fails at Chelsea he has an impressive body of work to fall back on. He'd easily get another try at Leicester or West Ham, or even Spurs.

When Gerrard and Lampard and Ole failed they had nothing impressive to fall back on and even if a Championship club would take a huge gamble on them, they probably think it's beneath them.

adexkola

Supports
If Potter fails at Chelsea he has an impressive body of work to fall back on. He'd easily get another try at Leicester or West Ham, or even Spurs.

When Gerrard and Lampard and Ole failed they had nothing impressive to fall back on and even if a Championship club would take a huge gamble on them, they probably think it's beneath them.
So? They have still managed in the PL which is more than most managers can say they've done.

Lampard "failed" at Chelsea and was given another try by Everton. Gerrard hasn't put his hat in the ring yet (neither has Ole) and we've seen worse managers than them get second and third chances so I'm not sure why you are so certain on their unemployability.

We aren't club chairmen, and we have no idea on what they look at when making decisions on hiring. Which is why, again, the idea of someone turning down a PL offer to "build his body of work" (something that may not even work out, given the number of Championship managers who have never managed in the PL) is insane advice.

Carrick could turn down an offer from a PL club to focus on Middlesbrough, and carry them to 4th, and then maybe move to Spurs. Or he could turn down an offer from a PL club, miss out on promotion, finish 11th with them the following season, and get ignored for future opportunities. One is more likely.

Hammondo

Some great football he's got them playing. From 22 to 3rd, only having dropped 10 points so far. Must be one of the best jobs I've seen anyone do in a long time.
The thing that stands out for me is that their weighting of their passes is fantastic.

Revaulx

Lampard didn't, and Gerrard did well at Rangers to be fair.

Lampard finished 5th with Derby, but the season before that with the previous manager, they also finished 5th.
Gerrard seemed to become totally bereft when his assistant left him.

Derby certainly played much more attractive football under Lampard than they had with Gary Rowett. Their fans were sorry to see him go. Whether he’d have developed as a manager had he stayed there longer is open to debate; he doesn’t seem remotely capable of learning from his mistakes, so I rather doubt it.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
As a non-United fan I was quite relieved to see Carrick and McKenna leave OT as I rated them both and were way too good to be working under Solskjaer.
I expect them both to be managing in PL sooner rather than later either together or separately and wouldn't rule out a return to you one day.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As a non-United fan I was quite relieved to see Carrick and McKenna leave OT as I rated them both and were way too good to be working under Solskjaer.
I expect them both to be managing in PL sooner rather than later either together or separately and wouldn't rule out a return to you one day.
How did you know their quality?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
How did you know their quality?
Not sure why you ask that question.
I like to observe how United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc operate and remember the positive reception McKenna got on here when he joined from Spurs (I think) and I attribute very few of United's recent struggles to him and Carrick. I saw them as knowledgeable and capable coaches hamstrung by Solskjaer, Woodward and others at the club at the time who should have been nowhere near the jobs they held.
Subsequent events seem to back that view up.

Abraxas

The caf summed up.

I think it's a bit simplistic to say "what we saw on the pitch was Carrick/McKenna coaching." That was always the narrative but it didn't seem to me a very nuanced view.

I don't see us talking about how fantastic Mitchell van der Gaag's coaching is. It comes down to the vision of the manager, ultimately. If he doesn't have one, doesn't lead, doesn't take his troops with him and inspire, it's very unlikely to matter what drills the coaches do. What we saw in the pitch was always far more about our overall ineptitude than a reflection of the coaching attributes of Carrick and McKenna. There was far too much else under question to really pinpoint something like that.

tomaldinho1

I think it's a bit simplistic to say "what we saw on the pitch was Carrick/McKenna coaching." That was always the narrative but it didn't seem to me a very nuanced view.

I don't see us talking about how fantastic Mitchell van der Gaag's coaching is. It comes down to the vision of the manager, ultimately. If he doesn't have one, doesn't lead, doesn't take his troops with him and inspire, it's very unlikely to matter what drills the coaches do. What we saw in the pitch was always far more about our overall ineptitude than a reflection of the coaching attributes of Carrick and McKenna. There was far too much else under question to really pinpoint something like that.
We don’t talk about VdG because ETH controls everything. The only reason we spoke so much about Carrick/McKenna is Ole hung them out to dry and even supposedly refused extra coaches when offered.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not sure why you ask that question.
I like to observe how United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc operate and remember the positive reception McKenna got on here when he joined from Spurs (I think) and I attribute very few of United's recent struggles to him and Carrick. I saw them as knowledgeable and capable coaches hamstrung by Solskjaer, Woodward and others at the club at the time who should have been nowhere near the jobs they held.
Subsequent events seem to back that view up.
What hindered them from coaching at the club? It was literally their dayjob to do so?