Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah, if only we were faultless…
We were outperformed on xG in 3 of our 4 CL games. Our only win came after a last minute penalty save where it’s very debatable that we deserved the win.
In the league, our xPTS have us sit at 11th, which is about right considering our on-pitch performances are of a bottom half team.

We are, objectively, lucky to be where we are which is very sad considering it’s nowhere near good enough.
Maybe, but if we’re so lucky to be where we are then how come the likes of city, Liverpool, spurs. Who are all having superb seasons aren’t further in front of us like they should be?

El Presidente

Maybe, but if we’re so lucky to be where we are then how come the likes of city, Liverpool, spurs. Who are all having superb seasons aren’t further in front of us like they should be?
All of these teams are some 4-5 points ahead of us. If you extrapolate that to 38 games, that’s a huge gap. But that’s not even the point.
These teams are way better than us. What we’re doing is unsustainable. All of our wins are hard-fought - 92nd minute winner vs Fulham, 96th minute winner vs Brentford, negative GD. And that’s just in the last couple of games, I can’t even remember the last game we won comfortably, there sure are none this season. In fact, I struggle to remember a comfortable game under ten Hag.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
All of these teams are some 4-5 points ahead of us. If you extrapolate that to 38 games, that’s a huge gap. But that’s not even the point.
These teams are way better than us. What we’re doing is unsustainable. All of our wins are hard-fought - 92nd minute winner vs Fulham, 96th minute winner vs Brentford, negative GD. And that’s just in the last couple of games, I can’t even remember the last game we won comfortably, there sure are none this season. In fact, I struggle to remember a comfortable game under ten Hag.
Ye I get what you’re saying. The only comfortable win this season was the cup game against palace I believe. We dominated from start to finish.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
There's a point to be made about how we're playing and the drastic need for that to improve we're going to catch up, then there's the (frankly, mental) take that you can just extrapolate a five point gap in November to a twenty point gap in May. Because that's how football works.

El Presidente

There's a point to be made about how we're playing and the drastic need for that to improve we're going to catch up, then there's the (frankly, mental) take that you can just extrapolate a five point gap in November to a twenty point gap in May. Because that's how football works.
So mental, really? The gulf in quality in performances will easily amount to 15-20 pts gap by the end of the season to City and Liverpool. It’s been suggested that the gap is not that big and I’m arguing that it already is. Nothing mental about that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So mental, really? The gulf in quality in performances will easily amount to 15-20 pts gap by the end of the season to City and Liverpool. It’s been suggested that the gap is not that big and I’m arguing that it already is. Nothing mental about that.
I'm not on about chasing the title chasers. They're going to drop fewer points. We are likely to see them pull away from the pack, because that is how football works.

You brought up the five point gap to fourth, which is Spurs, and said to extrapolate that over 38 games. I would be very surprised if we're 15-20 points off fourth at the end of the season. By last season's tallies, that would see us around 10th.

You simply can't take a snapshot of the league, 12 games in, extrapolate that over 38 games, and expect it to remotely resemble the final standings. That would have Spurs in fourth on 82/83 points. In all likelihood, the team in fourth is going to have somewhere in the region of 70 points.

El Presidente

I'm not on about chasing the title chasers. They're going to drop fewer points. We are likely to see them pull away from the pack, because that is how football works.

You brought up the five point gap to fourth, which is Spurs, and said to extrapolate that over 38 games. I would be very surprised if we're 15-20 points off fourth at the end of the season. By last season's tallies, that would see us around 10th.

You simply can't take a snapshot of the league, 12 games in, extrapolate that over 38 games, and expect it to remotely resemble the final standings. That would have Spurs in fourth on 82/83 points. In all likelihood, the team in fourth is going to have somewhere in the region of 70 points.
Of course, it’s way more complex than that and there are hundreds of factors that will affect the final standings in a few months.

My point is that there is a gap between the quality shown by us and, say, Spurs and that gap will only get bigger should these performances persist. And while I expect Spurs to drop off as the season develops, nothing so far has shown me that we are going to significantly improve. Also, Spurs have only the league to play for. Would love to be proven otherwise of course.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
its just a bunch of excuses similar to what any manager could say, made up on the spot. He took over a good team doing well, and has done very poorly with it so far.
And any manager walking into that scenario would find issue when they’re not exactly wanted or needed.

Hammondo

And any manager walking into that scenario would find issue when they’re not exactly wanted or needed.
Every manager joins a club with problems equal or usually worse. Most managers would be happy to join a club doing that well.

Lyng

You had to bring ETH into it..

Every mention of his name brings the whiney gowls out, so they can spew the same shite.

Wouldn't read too much into Carricks at Boro yet this season. The Championship is a mental league at this time of year. A run of a few bad games and you could be looking at relegation bother (look at Rooney). Or a few good wins and all of a sudden you're chasing a play off spot. Only 10 points separate 6th and 20th.
They where playing really well last season. The early bad form can be put down to losing quite a few important players. I have no doubts that Carrick is a special talent when it comes to managing. Rooney is probably the opposite....

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I mean we are definitely better than Liverpool, but to suggest we will finish twenty points above both them and City is hopeful ! I wish I shared your optimism. Ten points above Liverpool would be more than OK!

whitbyviking

They where playing really well last season. The early bad form can be put down to losing quite a few important players. I have no doubts that Carrick is a special talent when it comes to managing. Rooney is probably the opposite....
He clearly has a substandard squad compared to last year, and is suffering with some Injuries to key players. What is most impressive is he can turn things around and get players playing in his system and at their peak in terms of talent. He’s also got a Middlesbrough side scoring a lot of goals, which hasn’t happened since they had Viduka and Hasselbaink in the team. The patience and support of the chairman helps too.

Lyng

He clearly has a substandard squad compared to last year, and is suffering with some Injuries to key players. What is most impressive is he can turn things around and get players playing in his system and at their peak in terms of talent. He’s also got a Middlesbrough side scoring a lot of goals, which hasn’t happened since they had Viduka and Hasselbaink in the team. The patience and support of the chairman helps too.
Yeah it really is impressive. If Ten Hag doesnt work out I really hope we give Carrick a shot.

philnguyen1994

Hopefully, this means Carrick will be given more money to spend in future transfer windows. Not spent much so far and had to sell his best players.

whitbyviking

Middlesbrough fans very happy with him yesterday after they beat West Brom to remain in the playoff hunt. They’re decimated with injuries at the minute and he’s playing with a load of cast offs, free transfers and cheap signings from lower divisions and less rated leagues like the A League.

He’s definitely an adaptable coach who gets the most out out players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The one that got away.
Not at all.

If he stayed with the club he wouldn't have progressed. Hope he continues to grow away from United, he might one day earn a role with us by doing so.

always_hoping

Well done Michael Carrick. His injury hit championship team out coached Poch tonight who was relying on individual brilliance to bail them out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not at all.

If he stayed with the club he wouldn't have progressed. Hope he continues to grow away from United, he might one day earn a role with us by doing so.
Really do think he will be end up here eventually. He’s showing himself to be a really good manager dealing with difficult circumstances at Middlesbrough and imposing a good style of play. Feels like exactly the sort of manager Ratcliffe would eventually love to have in charge of us.

Sweet Square

It’s appears the people we called PE teachers with no football tactics are in fact very good at real life football manager.

Anyways hope the fraud Ten Hag is replaced!!!

mu4c_20le

They looked very disciplined and well drilled tonight. Think he's learned a lot from LVG.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Really do think he will be end up here eventually. He’s showing himself to be a really good manager dealing with difficult circumstances at Middlesbrough and imposing a good style of play. Feels like exactly the sort of manager Ratcliffe would eventually love to have in charge of us.
Maybe. He has some way to go but I'm glad he's throwing himself in the deep end.

SirCactus

I’ve seen it mentioned a few times.
Not saying that we should be considering replacing ETH with Carrick, but it is an appropriate night to acknowledge the good job he is doing on Riverside with a very limited squad. Boro were decent against a determined Chelsea - cohesive, intelligent on and off the ball, and willing to take risks at the right time. Nice to see Carrick doing well, one of our own and a very decent bloke.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s appears the people we called PE teachers with no football tactics are in fact very good at real life football manager.

Unfortunately this will go over the heads of the people that need to comprehend it.

RuudTom83

All those ex-players from the same generation as Carrick should have stayed in the lower divisions.

Best place to learn.

DevTheRed

Hope he can be our Xabi.. really likeable guy and comes across really well. Would love him back.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Lazy comparison. Those were regularly beating big teams away and had a respectable goals per game ratio. There were legitimate redeeming qualities. Compare to ETH who loses for fun on the road and has wasted 450m on assembling one of the most toothless attacks in the league.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I mean in fairness to Chelsea, I've said for years now there isn't much in terms of qualifications between the bottom half of the premier league and top half of championship :wenger: