Michael Olise

Shinjch

Lovely talent, will be interesting to see if he is ready for the next step if the rumours are true. Don't think one more season at Palace would have done him and his progression any harm though.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
At the moment Madueke is quite literally our only first team option for RW so how is it stockpiling if we get another player who can play there?

For a 4-2-3-1 formation we basically have Jackson, Broja, Nkunku, Mudryk, Sterling and Madueke for the four starting places. Six players for four spots doesn't seem like a lot to me.

As for Michael Olise, I haven't seen enough of him to say if he's actually any good. Being out injured till late September at a minimum would make signing him kind of pointless though.
He’s very, very good with world class potential. But arguably so is Madueke and I’d find it very odd to have two players of a very similar age profile competing for one position.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
He’s very, very good with world class potential. But arguably so is Madueke and I’d find it very odd to have two players of a very similar age profile competing for one position.
Yeah Madueke is good and I'm curious to see how he develops.

We definitely need another option for RW regardless. Ideally it would be someone who is also comfortable playing centrally in a 4-2-3-1 so the new player would rotate with both Madueke and Nkunku for playing time. That way having three players for two positions wouldn't hinder anyone's development as there would still be plenty of playing time for them all, but it would also give us a bit of cover in case of injuries and/or squad rotation.

Of the three players we've been linked Olise, Kudus and Cherki maybe the former is the one who least fits the description? Cherki and Kudus have both played lots of games centrally but I'm under the impression Olise has only really played on the wing for Palace? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then again of that group Olise is the only one with PL experience so he'd probably settle in fastest. Tough decision.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
At the moment Madueke is quite literally our only first team option for RW so how is it stockpiling if we get another player who can play there?

For a 4-2-3-1 formation we basically have Jackson, Broja, Nkunku, Mudryk, Sterling and Madueke for the four starting places. Six players for four spots doesn't seem like a lot to me.

As for Michael Olise, I haven't seen enough of him to say if he's actually any good. Being out injured till late September at a minimum would make signing him kind of pointless though.
It doesn't make sense to buy two 21yr who are more or less the same profile and potential. Both of them haven't shown too much versatility too.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It doesn't make sense to buy two 21yr who are more or less the same profile and potential. Both of them haven't shown too much versatility too.
Why doesn't it make sense? Young footballers fail to reach their potential all the time for reasons unrelated to their role in the team or their attributes from a footballing perspective.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why doesn't it make sense? Young footballers fail to reach their potential all the time for reasons unrelated to their role in the team or their attributes from a footballing perspective.
Phrase it another way: it's just not the usual way of doing things/structuring a squad. That should be obvious. I'd say another contributor to stalling a young players development is possibly a lack of trust or playing time to develop which is why it isn't usually structured this way. You'd have a youngster backing up a more consistent, experienced player/performer or vice versa: a more experienced option backing up a supremely talented young player.

But yeah, there's no hard and fast rules around this. All wonderfully talented players you're linked with.

KM

Because you're not giving them the best of the chance to either of them to reach to their potential?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Because you're not giving them the best of the chance to either of them to reach to their potential?
Think it's silly to say this so definitively when if you were actually able to do so with a high rate of accuracy you'd be worth millions in consulting fees for any club. Every top side has two options for each position anyway - and Olise as more of a playmaker versus Madueke as a direct dribbler don't have 100% overlapping skillsets.

Phrase it another way: it's just not the usual way of doing things/structuring a squad. That should be obvious. I'd say another contributor to stalling a young players development is possibly a lack of trust or playing time to develop which is why it isn't usually structured this way. You'd have a youngster backing up a more consistent, experienced player/performer or vice versa: a more experienced option backing up a supremely talented young player.

But yeah, there's no hard and fast rules around this. All wonderfully talented players you're linked with.
It's maybe unconventional, but football moreso than any other sport has a lot of anarchical beliefs in the way things have always been done despite there not necessarily being definitive evidence either way.

I like Madueke and I really like Olise - if we have an opportunity to get the latter for a very reasonable fee I don't really see why we have to wait to see whether the first guy washes out first.

KM

Think it's silly to say this so definitively when if you were actually able to do so with a high rate of accuracy you'd be worth millions in consulting fees for any club. Every top side has two options for each position anyway - and Olise as more of a playmaker versus Madueke as a direct dribbler don't have 100% overlapping skillsets.
What kind of a moronic reply is that?

Ofcourse its not definitive, it's just an opinion, which is the point of this forum.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

It's maybe unconventional, but football moreso than any other sport has a lot of anarchical beliefs in the way things have always been done despite there not necessarily being definitive evidence either way.

I like Madueke and I really like Olise - if we have an opportunity to get the latter for a very reasonable fee I don't really see why we have to wait to see whether the first guy washes out first.
Also. Madueke's injury record is pretty spotty, with lots of time out with muscle injuries. I agree with @Rnd898 that a hybrid player like Kudus or Cherki is probably more suitable to our needs than Olise but if Olise is who we get you won't find me complaining when the skillset they provide differs quite a bit.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

The risk obviously being that neither shows enough consistency to be kept in the team and ergo, neither develops optimally etc. I'd guess that's the logic with usually applying 2 different experience levels per position. But yeah, conventional wisdom is there to be challenged - i don't particularly feel strongly about it but i was just explaining what the other posters meant.

Abraxas

Talented but massively needs to improve his productivity. Needs more killer instinct to get in at the far post and score. Better work in the box. At the moment it's everything to feet and looking pretty.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What kind of a moronic reply is that?

Ofcourse its not definitive, it's just an opinion, which is the point of this forum.
Well and my point is it's an opinion that isn't really based on facts, just feelings. If the only counterargument you have is "I don't think they'll be best placed to succeed" despite there being countless examples of footballers in ideal situations to succeed flopping, all I'd say is that's hardly compelling.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The risk obviously being that neither shows enough consistency to be kept in the team and ergo, neither develops optimally etc. I'd guess that's the logic with usually applying 2 different experience levels per position. But yeah, conventional wisdom is there to be challenged - i don't particularly feel strongly about it but i was just explaining what the other posters meant.
Yeah all makes sense and didn't mean to have a go or anything. I guess I just am not sure the typical structure of one experienced and one young player makes sense for a team in Chelsea's position, where we should be aiming for home runs and not singles (to use a baseball analogy).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Also. Madueke's injury record is pretty spotty, with lots of time out with muscle injuries. I agree with @Rnd898 that a hybrid player like Kudus or Cherki is probably more suitable to our needs than Olise but if Olise is who we get you won't find me complaining when the skillset they provide differs quite a bit.
An excellent point as well. Our squad depth has been pretty atrocious in key positions for a while now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah all makes sense and didn't mean to have a go or anything. I guess I just am not sure the typical structure of one experienced and one young player makes sense for a team in Chelsea's position, where we should be aiming for home runs and not singles (to use a baseball analogy).
Yeah your squad, very much like ours up until EtH is trying to address it, is very unbalanced. So in the end it doesn’t matter whether they’re two young ones or oldies, as long as it’s a balanced squad it can only be good for competition I suppose.

Redstain

In my opinion one of the best right side players in the league. If he goes City they've done the Mahrez replacement. Again off field City are a mess but when it comes to scouting players outfield they identify their needs very astutely. Hopefully it's something we see when the Glazed eventually sell and the new ownership can restructure the hierarchy.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Eze and Olise should stay one more season
Eze maybe as he's started to find his feet again, but Olise needs to look at the ghost of Zaha and trust whether Palace can sort out their striker situation.

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Eze maybe as he's started to find his feet again, but Olise needs to look at the ghost of Zaha and trust whether Palace can sort out their striker situation.

Ayew - 4 in 36
Edouard - 4 in 33
Mateta - 2 in 27

Your hard work goes to waste if you've got that in front of you.

saivet

Eze and Olise should stay one more season
Not sure if Olise's release clause would be there next season but I think it's difficult to turn down an opportunity to join a top club as it might not come around again. He's talented but a bad season or injury could deny him a move to a team like Chelsea or City in the future.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
I think Olise will go to City or even PSG not Chelsea.

A bid from City means they've scouted thoroughly and he will be the second choice RM with the challenge to become first choice

A bid from Chelsea could be a random brainfart

The lad seems to have managed his career quite cleverly so far, with release clauses etc. I can't see him falling for chelsea's 7 year contract nonsense

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think Olise will go to City or even PSG not Chelsea.

A bid from City means they've scouted thoroughly and he will be the second choice RM with the challenge to become first choice

A bid from Chelsea could be a random brainfart

The lad seems to have managed his career quite cleverly so far, with release clauses etc. I can't see him falling for chelsea's 7 year contract nonsense
He’s a Cobham lad coming home and you can’t stop it :D

nazanto

That's Mahrez's direct replacement sorted then and that cheap too. Basically a no brainer signing. Shame that we didn't even look at him. Probably we did, but we also have 90m manager's pet and Amad as well.

cj_sparky

Any Q & A after he signs for anyone will be interesting.

"Tell me how it came about Michael?"

"My agent handed me the contract, I signed, done"

"Must be a good feeling?"

"Yeah"

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Perfect Mahrez replacement for City. It will only cost City 5m for a player that is 10 years younger.

RuudTom83

If it’s City you just pack your bags and go.

Anyone else and he needs to think long and hard about it. Could be lost in the crowd at Chelsea or not fancied by the next manager in 12 months.

Stadjer

Smart of him or of his team to have put a release clause in his contract. Harry Kane and his brother should take some lessons of that team...

Zaha got stuck at Palace when he could have gone to bigger clubs and Olise seemed to have learned from that. I wish more players would negotiate a release clause in their contracts even if it means they will have lower wages. Bet on yourself that you will be able to make a step to a larger club and earn even more money. Haaland did that too for example.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Palace losing Zaha and Olise and getting next to nothing for them for replacement. Relegation is on the cards I think.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Smart of him or of his team to have put a release clause in his contract. Harry Kane and his brother should take some lessons of that team...

Zaha got stuck at Palace when he could have gone to bigger clubs and Olise seemed to have learned from that. I wish more players would negotiate a release clause in their contracts even if it means they will have lower wages. Bet on yourself that you will be able to make a step to a larger club and earn even more money. Haaland did that too for example.
He had a low-ish relase clause at Reading too, that's how Palace only ended up paying 9M for him or something in that ballpark.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He had a low-ish relase clause at Reading too, that's how Palace only ended up paying 9M for him or something in that ballpark.
Then it is fair for Crystal Palace as well as they got him on the cheap as well. In the end it is going to be a 26m profit.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Why are we not all over this guy? Finally some quality on the wing rather than Sancho and Antony.

I guess affordable talent is not on our wishlist:houllier:

redcucumber

We really don't need another wide forward but for £35m - yeesh. Would love it. He's a great player to watch when he's in flow.

bucky

Yeah, not a priority, but we should still be interested at that price.

jesperjaap

Personally think he is being hugely overhyped even if the fee is decent value.

Think he is very easy on the eye and technicallly gifted. Dont get me wrong, he is agood player. But we slate some of our wingers for there end product and productivity, consistently, is his better? Why are people saying we should be all over this when we have a right winger with more ability who has had a first avergae season, a winger who can play on the right who has more ability regardless of whether he has performed, a young rw with more ability who has had a very good loan spell and a young winger with electric pace and bags of potential who hasnt even got any opportunites.....no reason we shoul dbe after him at all.

Think he gets lost at CHelsea like so far Madueke has who is a similar level. See comment "City replace Mahrez for a player 10 years younger for £5m".....he isnt on the same le el of Mahrez or Silva, good but not close.....even though I think he will fit in there, he is still a downgrade.

I think he is a really good player, but a bit like Eze who I actually prefer, not sure he is ready or has enough mentally and beyong technique to be a star at the top clubs, feel more of a SPurs signing

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Jeremy Doku, Michael Olise, and Mohammed Kudus are all available in the market. Olise has an English passport so it is good for team needs homegrown player.