Michael Olise

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why are we talking about Lacey and Mantato? They are at least 2 years off starts for the first team (barring an injury run).

Teja

You don't sign him if you are concerned about the injuries. People don't realize the effects of no European football. It's 1 game a week, all season. You can get by with literally 0 rotation. Players don't need to be subbed as often. Players don't pick up anywhere near as many injuries. Your 3rd choice winger will feel short on minutes, let alone your 4th choice winger. Amad is concerned about his minutes this season, it would be even worse next season despite proving himself more now.

With no Europe, he can stay as a 3rd choice, or has to go on loan. Otherwise we are hurting our own future by stifling his development further. It's a dumb thing to do. We have a potential star on our hands and he has to be developed properly. You give him the minutes he needs one way or another. If you "need" 4 wingers in a year with no Europe, then keep Antony as that 4th choice who we know isn't the future here so yim becoming unhappy isn't a big deal.
I agree that Olise, Amad, Rashford, Garnacho, Antony is too much depth to have for two positions in a season with no European football but we can't simply rely on Amad being good for a whole season for us just yet. If top four / five is our ambition next year, our rivals have guys like Bilva, Foden, Salah, Szoboszlai, Saka, Sterling, Palmer, Kulusevski. Proper experienced, world-class forwards. Amad just isn't that level yet.

luke511

In fact it’s the exact same depth as this season, would you say that was good enough?
Yeah, it's Ten Hag's fault Amad has been criminally underused since December. If Amad is injured we play Garnacho there, who has been more productive in that position than he has on the left, if he's injured too then there's Mount as third reserve, if Antony isn't out on loan then sweet, he can be back up to Mount if he's also injured. That's plenty of cover. The left wing is more of a concern going into the new season looking at Rashford's performances.

luke511

Why are we talking about Lacey and Mantato? They are at least 2 years off starts for the first team (barring an injury run).
In a year's time we could be warming Lacey into the first team, in 2 years time the same for Mantato. It would be short sighted not to consider this potential when talking about future plans for the right wing position.

Redstain

It's really silly a quantity over quality thesis, it also obscures the fact United for two seasons have had a goal deficit from the wider areas. Last season Rashford papered over the cracks with form that carried the teams goal threat in a multitude of fixtures. That issue has compounded this season because there hasn't been sufficient quality in the wide areas. I'll give Garnacho he's credit but his influence is not enough for the team to make giant strides moving forward.

Not to mention the delivery into Hojlund, the service has been abysmal and that's due to the wide players lacking the technical proficiency in delivering the ball. Olise offers solutions to both of those conundrums from an ability standpoint he is a no-brainer of a signing. I can't think of any wide player in the market who's available that I'd take as an alternative. Injury concerns are perfectly valid but if we are talking first team impact he's in another stratosphere to Diallo / Anthony respectively.

luke511

It's really silly a quantity over quality thesis, it also obscures the fact United for two seasons have had a goal deficit from the wider areas. Last season Rashford papered over the cracks with form that carried the teams goal threat in a multitude of fixtures. That issue has compounded this season because there hasn't been sufficient quality in the wide areas. I'll give Garnacho he's credit but his influence is not enough for the team to make giant strides moving forward.

Not to mention the delivery into Hojlund, the service has been abysmal and that's due to the wide players lacking the technical proficiency in delivering the ball. Olise offers solutions to both of those conundrums from an ability standpoint he is a no-brainer of a signing. I can't think of any wide player in the market who's available that I'd take as an alternative. Injury concerns are perfectly valid but if we are talking first team impact he's in another stratosphere to Diallo / Anthony respectively.
No he's not. Amad is arguably more technically gifted than Olise. Blame Ten Hag for not using this option more this season which it was direly needed.

golden_blunder

Staff
In a year's time we could be warming Lacey into the first team, in 2 years time the same for Mantato. It would be short sighted not to consider this potential when talking about future plans for the right wing position.
Lacey has had a few bad injuries so far in his young career, we should just be easing him along. Let them both find their development pace.
in the meantime it’s clear we need someone who can play RW. We cannot go another season with Antony

luke511

Lacey has had a few bad injuries so far in his young career, we should just be easing him along. Let them both find their development pace.
in the meantime it’s clear we need someone who can play RW. We cannot go another season with Antony
Enter Amad.

golden_blunder

Staff
Enter Amad.
There’s no reason Amad and Olise cannot get enough games, perhaps even together.
because Amad has had a few injury concerns himself he’s still an unknown quality at PL level where’as Olise is chalking up the numbers as of now. There is room for both

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There’s no reason Amad and Olise cannot get enough games, perhaps even together.
because Amad has had a few injury concerns himself he’s still an unknown quality at PL level where’as Olise is chalking up the numbers as of now. There is room for both
In a normal season, yes. Next year we are cutting ~15 games out of our schedule with no Europe. Going to be rough for whoever is 4th choice winger

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
In a normal season, yes. Next year we are cutting ~15 games out of our schedule with no Europe. Going to be rough for whoever is 4th choice winger
Guess the only way is if our new manager utilises substitutions more. Garnacho has played too much football this season, and Amad too little.

Nick7

Guess the only way is if our new manager utilises substitutions more. Garnacho has played too much football this season, and Amad too little.
This is another thing. Garnacho has played way too much this season and you can see him hit a wall in the last month or so.

luke511

As mentioned, there's no European games next season so it will be an unnecessary squeeze to keep them both happy. If we maximise sales we still have Garnacho and Mount that can plug in there as cover for next season, we're better off spending that much needed £60 million on other positions. If we're insistent on signing a winger the left side is more urgent, Rashford needs replacing.

dubplate warrior

As mentioned, there's no European games next season so it will be an unnecessary squeeze to keep them both happy. If we maximise sales we still have Garnacho and Mount that can plug in there as cover for next season, we're better off spending that much needed £60 million on other positions. If we're insistent on signing a winger the left side is more urgent, Rashford needs replacing.
Eze.

Ekeke

Both can play centrally. Amad hasnt done it a lot but Olise did it weekly in the championship. He played 52 games as an AM for Reading who played a 4-2-3-1

So in our formation they could both play in Bruno's position giving him rests throughout the season

luke511

Both can play centrally. Amad hasnt done it a lot but Olise did it weekly in the championship. He played 52 games as an AM for Reading who played a 4-2-3-1

So in our formation they could both play in Bruno's position giving him rests throughout the season
Fat chance of that, but in the very rare occasions he needs covering for we have Mount (and Amad) for that. We could also use a new midfield set up depending on our centre midfielder signings.

AneRu

I agree that Olise, Amad, Rashford, Garnacho, Antony is too much depth to have for two positions in a season with no European football but we can't simply rely on Amad being good for a whole season for us just yet. If top four / five is our ambition next year, our rivals have guys like Bilva, Foden, Salah, Szoboszlai, Saka, Sterling, Palmer, Kulusevski. Proper experienced, world-class forwards. Amad just isn't that level yet.
As long as we don't have the nucleus of the team settled properly we shouldn't think about forward signings, I know we need goals but a RW signing should come after we have signed a couple of CBs, DM, LB, CM and striker. That's five signings, which we rarely do but maybe doable if we can get the likes of Barkely and Tosin on free transfers.

Unless of course we manage to sell Sancho and Greenwood to fund this deal or if INEOS are committed to spending an outrageous amount of money in the summer this should be the sequence we operate on during this coming window. This is the kind of nonsense that killed our season when we went for Mount and ended up scrapping the barrel for a needed DM signing and a CB.

luke511

As long as we don't have the nucleus of the team settled properly we shouldn't think about forward signings, I know we need goals but a RW signing should come after we have signed a couple of CBs, DM, LB, CM and striker. That's five signings, which we rarely do but maybe doable if we can get the likes of Barkely and Tosin on free transfers.

Unless of course we manage to sell Sancho and Greenwood to fund this deal or if INEOS are committed to spending an outrageous amount of money in the summer this should be the sequence we operate on during this coming window. This is the kind of nonsense that killed our season when we went for Mount and ended up scrapping the barrel for a needed DM signing and a CB.
Exactly.

roseguy64

Olise would be nice to have but with Eriksen and Amrabat leaving and potentially Casemiro, we need at least CMs. Also, possibly have to bring in multiple CBs.

Additionally, Olise's injury record is risky considering his price.

luke511

He's got form for missing half the season through injury.
He had no issues at Sunderland or Rangers, he's just got unlucky in two pre-seasons for us, it could have something to do with how little game time he was getting at the time. He should be fine. Olise has also had the same luck over the past 2 or 3 seasons, it's just the nature of it. Garnacho and Mount are still good enough as second and third reserve if it does happen.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He had no issues at Sunderland or Rangers, he's just got unlucky in two pre-seasons for us, it could have something to do with how little game time he was getting at the time. He should be fine. Olise has also had the same luck over the past 2 or 3 seasons, it's just the nature of it. Garnacho and Mount are still good enough as second and third reserve if it does happen.
It's not worth the risk, Mount's also missed most of the last 2 seasons through injury. If we entrust a load of injury prone players then we can't be surprised when they all get injured and we're left with no options.

luke511

It's not worth the risk, Mount's also missed most of the last 2 seasons through injury. If we entrust a load of injury prone players then we can't be surprised when they all get injured and we're left with no options.
It is when we need 2/3 CMs, 2/3 CBs, a left back, a right back and a striker first. Amad and Garnacho as first and second choice is fine for next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thing is that Rashford has also played fewer games than usual and Antony also probably feels underused despite being 3rd choice this season (as we have been down to 1 game a week since the new year). Rashford tends to be up and down and does well when the team does well (but isn't the guy to pull us out when the team is spiralling), so could easily be in a position where he's playing far more next season.

Ten Hag if he stays, also just isn't a manager who rotates much. In the likely situation of no conference league or Europa League, we'll need to shed our numbers significantly IMO. Even with CL football you don't need ridiculous numbers, just sometimes depends on if you have injury prone players. Look at City, they rarely go with more than a squad of 18-20 or so reliable first teamers and then leave the space for a few youngsters who are breaking through, to be the "1st and 2nd 11", and beyond them is other youngsters.

If we get conference league, it's fine for Amads development assuming Antony is shipped out and we add Olise. If we don't, Amads development will be seriously stifled with any signing as he is behind Garnacho and Rashford and the new signing.

RuudTom83

It all depends on the summer as a whole.

I don't think any of us would be upset if Olise joins United! It's more about who else would be joining? and which of the current wingers at the club would be leaving?

With the right departures it could be a wonderful signing.

Pass and Move

I don't want us spending 50-60m on this guy. I think he's massively overrated. There's no way he'd get in a Pep side and that's the level we should be aiming at. He seems too old school for me, needing space to work in rather than being comfortable keeping possession in a controlled build-up.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't want us spending 50-60m on this guy. I think he's massively overrated. There's no way he'd get in a Pep side and that's the level we should be aiming at. He seems too old school for me, needing space to work in rather than being comfortable keeping possession in a controlled build-up.
I think you’re wrong, he’s not a line hugging winger, he’s a PL proven baller, capable of keeping the ball, playing killer passes, crosses and scoring goals. Glasner is showing us how to get the best out of him.
The price may be an issue but I’m sure INEOS won’t overpay and will only do the deal if they are sure that they can within their confines. It’s also by no means a done deal it’s just speculation

ForeverRed1

Personally next season I’d focus on midfield and defence, tighten them up and make do with what wingers we got. We’re not fixing all our problems in one transfer window.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It is when we need 2/3 CMs, 2/3 CBs, a left back, a right back and a striker first. Amad and Garnacho as first and second choice is fine for next season.
If not for Amad's injury issues I wouldn't be totally against it, Garnacho's quality but he's not productive enough yet. While we've had lots of issues this season in midfield and defence, we've just scored nowhere near enough goals, the attack needs major surgery. Think we desperately need reinforcements on the wings.

luke511

If not for Amad's injury issues I wouldn't be totally against it, Garnacho's quality but he's not productive enough yet. While we've had lots of issues this season in midfield and defence, we've just scored nowhere near enough goals, the attack needs major surgery. Think we desperately need reinforcements on the wings.
Out of the 3 forward positions, I’d say right wing is the least urgent. Hojlund needs cover and Rashford could do with being replaced, for a number of reasons.

Ekeke

Fat chance of that, but in the very rare occasions he needs covering for we have Mount (and Amad) for that. We could also use a new midfield set up depending on our centre midfielder signings.
Who are from what we've seen half the player and maybe even less than that.

Olise when fit has been one of the top attacking players in the league

It may even be that we dont miss Bruno with a player like Olise playing there. That would be quite the upgrade

Redstain

It's becoming increasingly clear that most opposition players United fans don't observe unless the fixture is against the team.

Everything described is the exact opposite of Olise's strengths, him not being anything close to an old school wide player is a criticism you could give him because he's always going to work towards being more introverted when occupying spaces.

E-mal

Out of the 3 forward positions, I’d say right wing is the least urgent. Hojlund needs cover and Rashford could do with being replaced, for a number of reasons.
Every spot in that front three can and should be upgraded.
Hojlund, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad and Antony can be upgraded. Less so for Amad seeing he has not had a fair crack at the whip and Garnacho has struggled with physicality and consistency

Redstain

Hojlund, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad and Antony can be upgraded. Less so for Amad seeing he has not had a fair crack at the whip and Garnacho has struggled with physicality and consistency
Exactly that's two seasons on the bounce since the manager has been in charge that the wide players have failed to represent a level of quality that is amicable.

I said during the summer window (countless posts) United should have signed a right winger, right full back and a striker. While one of the three positions was acquired, the lack of prolific options in attack continues to undermine the team.

What's enabled Arsenal to leapfrog their development as a club and team has been penetration from the wide areas and their productivity which opens spaces for the midfield if there's 8's in advanced positions.

Sancho and Greenwood likely off, there's not enough firepower with Rashford, Amad and Garnacho. Anthony being sold should be a foregone conclusion at this stage he's been a disaster.

luke511

Amad doesn't need upgrading this summer, Hojlund will improve next year with us having more playmakers in the side, but we still need cover for him and Rashford needs replacing hence my original point, the right wing is the least urgent out of the 3 forward positions. We have a big rebuild to do and it would be reckless to spent a chunk of the budget on a position that isn’t a priority.

wildflower2007

We don't need this guy, we've got more pressing issues in midfield that we havent properly addressed in a decade.

We've got Amad coming through now, who's almost like a new signing. Just make Amad the main guy and relegate Anthony to backup/bench.

Simplez.

Spend the money elsewhere, where its needed most.

Pass and Move

It's becoming increasingly clear that most opposition players United fans don't observe unless the fixture is against the team.

Everything described is the exact opposite of Olise's strengths, him not being anything close to an old school wide player is a criticism you could give him because he's always going to work towards being more introverted when occupying spaces.
It’s possible to watch a player and draw different conclusions to you, you know? I’ve seen plenty to suggest he’s not the calibre of player to perform at PL/CL winning level, especially in a system I’d like to see us adopt.

Uncle Mainoo

Amad doesn't need upgrading this summer, Hojlund will improve next year with us having more playmakers in the side, but we still need cover for him and Rashford needs replacing hence my original point, the right wing is the least urgent out of the 3 forward positions.
Amad has had two starts this season and all of a sudden he is irreplaceable. You can’t make it up.

All three of our positions need upgrading. Olise and another CF is a must.

Rashford and Garnacho are fine for the left side this summer but if we decide to sell him I wouldn’t be surprised if Sancho stays.