Michael Oliver

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What verb do you use to describe someone's foot hitting someone?

I didn't say he kicked him hard, but it looks pretty clear to me that he makes a careless attempt to win the ball and gets nowhere near it.

I can understand that people are caught up in the emotion of the moment, but I really struggle to see how people can legitimately argue it's not a penalty.

Christ this forum would have been demanding lynchings if we hadn't been given that in a game of this magnitude.
It's totally different for me, I thought it was a clear penalty at first, but watching replays later it looks really soft. So no emotions included.

He touches the ball quite clearly, IMO.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Does Oliver even know who actually pushed him? It looks like multiple Juventus players push and shouted at him.

By the 'laws of the game' he should have sent off 2-3 Juventus players, but he didn't.

It's obvious Oliver makes up the rules as he goes along, since he applies the rules differently in the space of a few seconds.
As captain you need to set an example.

ti vu

As captain you need to set an example.
Do you notice Oliver tried to ignore and walked away? Not the first time this happens with the same guy nor unfamiliar for him to get on people's nerve. If the protest get out of hand, book them. However as a ref you're there to control the situation standing by your decision, not running away after making decision, adding frustration to the side the decision is against. Then save send them off if they dare to go further to be heard.

:lol:

O Lord that lends me life, Lend me a heart replete with trash!

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

O Lord that lends me life, Lend me a heart replete with trash!
"Tears virginal
Shall be to me even as the dew to fire,
And beauty that the tyrant oft reclaims
Shall to my flaming wrath be oil and flax.
Henceforth I will not have to do with pity:
Meet I an infant of the house of Oliver,
Into as many gobbets will I cut it
As wild Medea young Absyrtus did:
In cruelty will I seek out my fame."

- Gianluigi Buffon

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Have the people condemning Buffon for the red card actually re watched the incident properly?
Im asking myself the same question. If Buffon deserved a red card, then multiple Juventus players deserved atleast a yellow card.

There were multiple options he could have taken that would have been sensible and he took none of them.

It looks like he gave Buffon a red card because he wanted him away from his face, like a scared child. Not because he was applying the laws of the game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I just don't get why he didn't send off Benatia for the foul. He'd just recently gotten a yellow for making 2 yellow-worthy offences in 2 seconds and he should have been booked in the first half. This was a clear goalscoring opportunity and he fouls Vasquez with no concern for getting the ball and honestly should have gotten a straight red.

Buffon going apeshit probably took Oliver's focus off of him and spared him the card.

Obvious penalty. Only way it would have been more obvious is if he had shamelessly kicked him.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Buffon completely lost it.

Not a friend of Oliver, but was completely right both times. Buffon is not allowed to touch you like that.

RedStarUnited

Don't think anyone's condemning Buffon. Just saying he deserved the card.
Said it in the match thread, but I will repeat here. He actually doesn't, because he never deliberately pushes Mike Oliver. He is nudged from behind by Costa and ends up nudging the ref himself.

Watch below around 2:30..

The Purley King

"Tears virginal
Shall be to me even as the dew to fire,
And beauty that the tyrant oft reclaims
Shall to my flaming wrath be oil and flax.
Henceforth I will not have to do with pity:
Meet I an infant of the house of Oliver,
Into as many gobbets will I cut it
As wild Medea young Absyrtus did:
In cruelty will I seek out my fame."

- Gianluigi Buffon
Had to look that one up....
after finding out about how to fix my vaginal tear I eventually found the Shakespeare quote!
Still not sure what it means though....

A-man

Maybe a soft penalty but also pretty clear and most likely a goal without the foul. Can't apply other rules just because it is minute 93, nor because the aggression came from Buffon. He had totally lost it. Quite a tragic exit from top class football by a top class goalkeeper, to leave your team in the shit like that.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
It was a Clear penalty and Buffon went too far, he deserved the red card, what's next ? punching the referee?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Said it in the match thread, but I will repeat here. He actually doesn't, because he never deliberately pushes Mike Oliver. He is nudged from behind by Costa and ends up nudging the ref himself.

Watch below around 2:30..

He doesn't have to push or even touch him to get a red. There was plenty of reason without that. I don't think many people will dispute the card, Buffon included, probably.

RedStarUnited

He doesn't have to push or even touch him to get a red. There was plenty of reason without that.
90% of people commenting in here are saying 'Buffon should have touched him like that' or words close to that.

So now you are saying he sent him off because of the way he was speaking to him? Thats a straight red offence now?

Infra-red

He doesn't have to push or even touch him to get a red. There was plenty of reason without that. I don't think many people will dispute the card, Buffon included, probably.
Yep. When he wakes up tomorrow, Buffon will realise what a fool he's made of himself.

Zen

Good bottle to make two correct decisions in that kind of atmosphere.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
90% of people commenting in here are saying 'Buffon should have touched him like that' or words close to that.

So now you are saying he sent him off because of the way he was speaking to him? Thats a straight red offence now?
Mate, he was screaming in his face and wasn't backing down even though the ref tried to get out of it. The feck was Oliver supposed to do?

Maxii

Paad
There’s not a ref I hate more on this earth than Oliver, but he made the right decision and it took some amount of bottle to make that call. Most refs wouldn’t have done it and to be honest I would have rathered it didn’t come to that as it ruined the game but it was still the right decision.

The Purley King

Of course it is. That has been a rule since the year dot.
Buffon made Keane look like an oap ordering a cream scone ffs.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Good bottle to make two correct decisions in that kind of atmosphere.
What kind of atmosphere? Refs love giving any kind of decision to Real Madrid, and even easier if it's at the Bernabeu.

After the game vs Bayern, the penalty and not offside vs PSG, and today this, I don't know at which point they're going to be as hated as Barcelonaby the rest of Europe.

cheeky_backheel

The foul was a soft penalty, but still a penalty. Benatia should have known better. He could have had a case if he didnt put both hands on Vazquez

The buffon red card was deserved but quite harsh given the situation, but on the other hand players surrounding refs and hounding them has been getting out of hand of recent.

The ref should have given Benatia a second yellow = red, and a yellow to buffon. Any other player that was disrespectful should have also been shown a yellow (even if it was a second).

Dont think Oliver communicated well enough and that let the situation escalate.

cyberman

May be not the right thread but is it true that none of the PL referees have been selected for the WC?
Its a technicality. Englands selection decided to feck off to the Middle East and they're not allowed a replacement.

Zen

Are you suggesting Real are more liked than Barca?

I don't think that's anywhere near the case.

Giggsyking

I hate this child. Cant forget he sent off Di Maria because he touched his shirt. But Hart head butt him and he do nothing. What a child.