Michael Oliver

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Oliver was pushed by multiple Juventus players before Buffon even came into the picture. Then Buffon came in and went ballistic at him.

He should have sent off at least another Juventus player if he was being fair.
Hm, fair enough, looked like Buffon was the one going full Hulk but at worst Oliver should have sent off more Juve players.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Very soft pen. Don't think he can give that.

Hope he didn't book his summer holidays in Italy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Buffon was the only one physically shoving him around wasn't he?
Nah not the only one. I think it was a harsh red in the circumstances. Oliver could have yellow carded him and afforded him a second chance, or walked away from the players and let the situation calm itself. He's a shite ref though, I was staggered he was given this tie.

Josep Dowling

Foul and abusive language is a red card under the laws of the game.

You can criticise a referee for applying the laws of the game incorrectly, you can crticise the laws themselves, but I don't see how you can criticise a referee for not applying a version of the laws of the game which only exist in your head.
I’m not criticising the decision if he’s followed the letter of the law. However how many times have we seen players surround a referee and not get sent off? Refs seem to pick and choose when the implement the true letter of the law. That is why fans get so frustrated because there is no consistency.

NinjaFletch

It is hardly a "kick".

He hardly touches the guy, both with his hands and his legs. It's soft as it gets.
What verb do you use to describe someone's foot hitting someone?

I didn't say he kicked him hard, but it looks pretty clear to me that he makes a careless attempt to win the ball and gets nowhere near it.

I can understand that people are caught up in the emotion of the moment, but I really struggle to see how people can legitimately argue it's not a penalty.

Christ this forum would have been demanding lynchings if we hadn't been given that in a game of this magnitude.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nah not the only one. I think it was a harsh red in the circumstances. Oliver could have yellow carded him and afforded him a second chance, or walked away from the players and let the situation calm itself. He's a shite ref though, I was staggered he was given this tie.
I agree in general he's a shite ref but I didn't think he got either decision wrong in the 93rd minute.

Deleted member 101472

Honestly that was a 9/10 performance from the referee. Big decisions at the end were correct and didn’t do much wrong throughout which given his record and in such a big game was a miracle. Benatia should be the scapegoat, why he wasn’t marking tightly in the box when he could see that ronaldo had peeled off onto the smallest Juventus defender is beyond me.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So, he was lenient towards Juve then? I can't just keep up anymore.
He had a pretty shite game in general. Let Juventus get away with murder, and allowed Ronaldo to dive and complain with impunity.

Typical Oliver performance. Lots of early yellow cards for normal tackles (to establish authority), then lets players get away with the same tackles for most of the game. He tops of the game with a big penalty call and a bonus red card.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yes, but please let us know where precisely there is a touch/kick hard enough to make it a penalty then. See my above post and check that angle. He barely touches him. Neither with his hands first or his "kick" afterwards.
Contact doesn’t have to be “hard enough” to warrant a foul.

You could argue that Benatia endangered his opponent by going around his body with a potentially high boot...as you would in the dying seconds. You can argue that however hard or soft he pushes Vazquez in the back in order to get his leverage.

It is soft, but in 2018 you can’t wrap your leg around a player and make contact before you get the ball. However much you disagree with it, that decision would be given again and again by a lot of referees on the continent. It’s not a Vinnie Jones challenge for sure.

::sonny::

Buffon said in tv that he (oliver) is a dickhead who doesn't know where he is, who has a trash bin in his heart

Infra-red

Got the two big decisions correct. Not easy to do in injury time of the second leg of a massive Champions League quarter final.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Buffon said in tv that he (oliver) is a dickhead who doesn't know where he is, who has a trash bin in his heart
Wow. . . He had plenty of time to calm down by then.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I hate this guy with passion but both decisions where without a doubt correct.

All in all Oliver had a great game and he handled both teams with authority. He’s still young and not the finished article but if he continue like he did tonight he will end up as one of the elite referees.

Still hate him...

ti vu

Hm, fair enough, looked like Buffon was the one going full Hulk but at worst Oliver should have sent off more Juve players.
I am repeating what I wrote before. Oliver's signature is covering his ear and walking away when getting protested. Ref's job to control the situation. Talk to the captains, booked them to calm them down is applauded approach.

Here he basically ignored Buffon trying to hide. It built up frustration as we know it's a big decision and Buffon's career is at its end, so you can't just ignore the protest like Sunday League game.

The Purley King

Most blatant and obvious penalty I’ve seen in a while.
only saw the last 10 mins but Oliver handled that pretty well from what I can see.
Yes obviously players will be aggravated about a last minute pen but Buffon was way ott. Deserved red.
Could have sent off one or two more if going by the letter of the law but when has anyone seen that happen? (Shit 3rd world games aside).
Don’t see what all the fuss is about tbh

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Pathetic stuff from Buffon, who fully deserved his early bath.
Tbh my reaction was you can't do that at that stage of the game too. A pen yes, but hardly stonewall and could very easily not be given. Strange one I guess.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I hate this guy with passion but both decisions where without a doubt correct.

All in all Oliver had a great game and he handled both teams with authority. He’s still young and not the finished article but if he continue like he did tonight he will end up as one of the elite referees.

Still hate him...
I thought he got the penalty right but I don't think you need to be a top ref to get it right. He's generally a terrible ref.

He's the guy that allowed Joe Hart to headbutt him, right? :lol:

There's a reason not one PL official is going to the World Cup. The standard has been really poor recently.

Pennywise

Tbh my reaction was you can't do that at that stage of the game too. A pen yes, but hardly stonewall and could very easily not be given. Strange one I guess.
Absolutely this. It was a penalty all night long. The defender was an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Peril

If those words comes from Buffon, wow, my estimation of him goes down. No matter what happens, you show the experience and class afterwards - especially him with his reputation. He’s old enough to be their dad and he speaks like a punk.

And furthermore; when has a referee ever overturned a decison like that without VAR? Buffon showing he is pretty stupid to be honest, especially for the interview - if it’s the real deal. Pathetic, they’re all footballers after all.

txred

Probably a fair pen. Buffon can't react that way, either. Football is not like the NBA where refs swallow their whistles at the end of games, for better or for worse.

On the one hand, it was a justifiable decision. On the other, having a great tie like that decided a call (albeit correct) by a referee kind of takes away from the spectacle.

Erebus

You simply can't behave like that at a major competition - and Buffon should know that with his experience. He chased through the pack to harrangue Oliver. He's to blame for his red card - no-one else.