Michael Oliver

Kag

They were all aggressive and volatile.

The "most" aggressive gets sent off?
Oliver was surrounded and Buffon barged through screaming, shouting and throwing his fingers in around his face.

Buffon behaved like a feckwit and will be aware of that. Hence the sending off.

NinjaFletch

We don’t know what was said but surely you give a yellow for protesting. It’s never worth a red card unless they get physical.
Foul and abusive language is a red card under the laws of the game.

You can criticise a referee for applying the laws of the game incorrectly, you can crticise the laws themselves, but I don't see how you can criticise a referee for not applying a version of the laws of the game which only exist in your head.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
No I’m making the point that he’s a inconsistent ref and shouldn’t even be in a position to referee that sort of game. Imaginary things? It’s pretty much known he always is swayed by the home crowd in every game he officiates.

The pen was soft at best.
Ok fair enough, but he was awarded the game and he got all the decisions right in this match. So next time maybe, he's a little bit more deserving for making the right call in the heat of the situation. So I expect you to be less critical of him when he officiates the next match? Or maybe you are a barcelona fan who is sick to his stomach because Madrid won?

ROFLUTION

I'm confident in saying that 10 times out of 10 that penalty gets awarded with VAR.
If that would be the case then feck football - it'll not be the game I always loved. And feck the people taking the beautiful game away from us in the name of "better decisions"

John_Jensen

Oliver was surrounded and Buffon barged through screaming, shouting and throwing his fingers in around his face.

Yep love Buffon but he acted like a complete twat and deserved his red.

Sterling Archer

Really a shame that match ended on that but Oliver can't be faulted for the call. Maybe could have avoided carding Buffon but can't expect sympathy there.

WTF was benatia thinking.

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
The incident happened in the 92nd minute, therefore 2 mins of the added three were accounted for.

It’s irrelevant how long the incident took, Oliver should add time for that.

Bizarre criticism of the ref across the board for me. It’s soft, but by the laws of the game that is 100% correct.
Ronaldo took the penalty in the 97th minute. Game ended in 98th minute?

NinjaFletch

If that would be the case then feck football - it'll not be the game I always loved. And feck the people taking the beautiful game away from us in the name of "better decisions"
Shame you never loved it enough to bother learning the laws though...

Bojan11

Ok fair enough, but he was awarded the game and he got all the decisions right in this match. So next time maybe, he's a little bit more deserving for making the right call in the heat of the situation. So I expect you to be less critical of him when he officiates the next match? Or maybe you are a barcelona fan who is sick to his stomach because Madrid won?
I don’t support Barca, fishy.

fishfingers15

There's no doubt the refs are on their side. You don't really stand a chance. Everytime things get close the refs swing it their way again. The penalty was extremely soft. You can see Vazquez preparing to fall before the leg of Benatia comes in his direction. With the speed he was coming with from behind Vazquez had to end up falling further forward with that force. There may have been slight contact but not enough to warrant the fall that he made. He even looked around for the refs reaction. This is someone looking for the penalty. It's not acceptable for referees to ruin games in this manner. It's not a stonewall penalty. So why give it if there's some doubts? A BS call from Oliver.
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry for laughing, but :lol::lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feck Oliver. Made the right calls on both though. Stonewall pen and then red for Buffon was easy after he reacts like that

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can those who are insistent that it was either not a pen or soft because Vasquez only got a soft push in the back explain why they're ignoring Benetia rapping his leg around Vazquez's chest?
He kicked the ball, he didn't even touch him with his leg, it wasn't anything close to dangerous.

fishfingers15

I don’t support Barca, fishy.
Ok, let me rephrase

Ok fair enough, but he was awarded the game and he got all the decisions right in this match. So next time maybe, he's a little bit more deserving for making the right call in the heat of the situation. So I expect you to be less critical of him when he officiates the next match? Or maybe you are a football fan who doesn't like Madrid and who is sick to his stomach because Madrid won?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
But that's already the game you've been watching and loving. It's not like VAR would suddenly make it a foul, it's a foul as is. They haven't suddenly reinvented what constitutes a penalty.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

It was his last Champions League game. He'd seen his team do the impossible. And then they get a penalty against them in the last minute or the game. He's a human fecking being, not a robot.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Ronaldo took the penalty in the 97th minute. Game ended in 98th minute?
So they added on 3 mins.

Two minutes were accounted for prior to the penalty and red incident.

They played for a further 50 seconds or so and the ball went out for a Madrid goal kick.

It was appropriate to call time in the game break there.

ROFLUTION

But that's already the game you've been watching and loving. It's not like VAR would suddenly make it a foul, it's a foul as is. They haven't suddenly reinvented what constitutes a penalty.
This is not a penalty ffs. This happens soo many times in the penalty area and is never given. Rightfully so. If this is the standard, then physical football seems almost gone. A slight touch, go down, penalty. That would be the case if this is to be the standard.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
In what fictional football game was there an incident exactly like the one involving Vazquez and Benatia?

Oliver gave a penalty because he applied the laws of the game.
I have no idea who the player was, but a Madrid player basically got clothes lined in the first half off the ball and nothing happened.

Oliver was letting Juventus get away with a lot, only giving yellow cards for cynical hacking down. I have no idea how Benatio even stayed on the pitch to make that challenge. Ronaldo also got away with multiple dives.

It was just a horribly officiated game. I have no doubt that Oliver gave the penalty because he wanted the attention all on him, he does this so often that it can't be a coincidence. He just happened to get the right decision this time. There have been countless times that Oliver has done something like this and got it wrong; its bordering on guesswork.

NinjaFletch

He kicked the ball, he didn't even touch him with his leg, it wasn't anything close to dangerous.

It comes off Vasquez's chest and then Benetia kicks him.

But I can understand why people think it's not a pen if they think Benetia played the ball.

ti vu

Buffon's behaviour was comfortably the most aggressive and volatile.
He is the captain. Oliver kept trying to hide from him instead of manning the feck up and calm him down head on as the main authority on the pitch. Being cornered, Oliver got triggered by so called assault then pulled the red. Look more like abusing his power while has no skill to control the situation/ game. Doesn't sound unfamiliar, does it?

Kag

It was his last Champions League game. He'd seen his team do the impossible. And then they get a penalty against them in the last minute or the game. He's a human fecking being, not a robot.
What's your point?

I'm discussing why it was right to send Buffon off. He behaved like a feckwit and the red got pulled. Good decisions all round.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

But I can understand why people think it's not a pen if they think Benetia played the ball.
It is hardly a "kick".

He hardly touches the guy, both with his hands and his legs. It's soft as it gets.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If that was against United, the resident United fans would expect a penalty there.

I’m not entirely sure how anyone can think otherwise. I understand the view that it’s soft, but a decision to award a foul isn’t bad on soft or hard...it’s about what actually happened.

ROFLUTION

I really just don't see how he kicks him. Seen it from all angles. He kicks out for the ball and his leg slightly hits Vasquez arm, but he doesn't kick him in a way that makes a penalty to me. When you watch it from the angle at 3:54 in this video it seems very very soft

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What's your point?

I'm discussing why it was right to send Buffon off. He behaved like a feckwit and the red got pulled. Good decisions all round.
The point is if he's sending Buffon he needs to send them all. His decision was always going to infuriate the Juventus players because of what happened in the previous 93 minutes.

He was far too quick to his red card. He could have given him a yellow and then a second yellow if he continued.

ROFLUTION

If that was against United, the resident United fans would expect a penalty there.

I’m not entirely sure how anyone can think otherwise. I understand the view that it’s soft, but a decision to award a foul isn’t bad on soft or hard...it’s about what actually happened.
Yes, but please let us know where precisely there is a touch/kick hard enough to make it a penalty then. See my above post and check that angle. He barely touches him. Neither with his hands first or his "kick" afterwards.

Kag

The point is if he's sending Buffon he needs to send them all. His decision was always going to infuriate the Juventus players because of what happened in the previous 93 minutes.

He was far too quick to his red card. He could have given him a yellow and then a second yellow if he continued.
He should have gave a yellow card for a red card offence?

I'm out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How are people calling this a stone well pen. It’s soft as feck. Not a complete brainfart to give a pen, but Vasquez went down like a little girl.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Does Oliver even know who actually pushed him? It looks like multiple Juventus players push and shouted at him.

By the 'laws of the game' he should have sent off 2-3 Juventus players, but he didn't.

It's obvious Oliver makes up the rules as he goes along, since he applies the rules differently in the space of a few seconds.

ChaddyP

The cafs hate for Madrid has blinded its judgement. Thats the easiest Penalty call of the century. Had it been madrid defender clobbering a Juve attacker like that and no call giving this place would have been up in arms. Get over it . Oliver is a dick head but he got it spot on, and it wasnt even a brave call.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Buffon was the only one physically shoving him around wasn't he?
Oliver was pushed by multiple Juventus players before Buffon even came into the picture. Then Buffon came in and went ballistic at him.

He should have sent off at least another Juventus player if he was being fair.