Michael Schumacher | No Updates

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That article was written over a year ago

Deleted member 101472

No update, but the longer he is kept alive, surely there has to be SOME element of hope for his family? It can’t be stubbornness.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No update, but the longer he is kept alive, surely there has to be SOME element of hope for his family? It can’t be stubbornness.
He is alive but who knows what state he is in - from what I've read he requires 24 hour care. I can only hope that things are a bit better than suggested but I fear it's a grim situation. I loved the guy and it makes me really sad to think of him like that.

Deleted member 101472

He is alive but who knows what state he is in - from what I've read he requires 24 hour care. I can only hope that things are a bit better than suggested but I fear it's a grim situation. I loved the guy and it makes me really sad to think of him like that.
Reports say his medical care bill has exceeded £20 million.

Deleted member 101472

Always get a bad feeling when this thread is bumped.
Yeah I was wary of doing it for that reason. It’s a completely unique situation. They have the finances to keep this going just incase a miracle happens.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Hope in the future technology for sure. Probably just a vegetable now, but with enough money to stay alive artificially for ever, or until the family decides.

If it i were him, i probably would hope for the same. Who knows in 10 years what will be possible...

TheReligion

Abusive
Very sad. You can only assume, with the lack of updates or sightings, he's very unwell and in a vegetable state.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Obviously it’s difficult to speculate without all the facts but I can’t imagine Schumacher would want to hang around with whatever disabilities he’s likely inflicted with.

Deleted member 101472

If by some miracle he is to come out of this, it might be the result of medical experimentation that can provide hope where there didn’t use to be a single shred of it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think it is safe to say that there will be no significant improvement now.

Deleted member 101472

I think it is safe to say that there will be no significant improvement now.
Based on everything we know. But the situation is already so unique that they could be trying things that no one knows. I cannot believe that they wouldn’t have been able to be talked Into cutting off his support unless there was a glimmer of something that he might come back.

vangagal

I cant imagine what's feels like for his family after 4 years gone by and still he's in coma. But his wealth certainly can afford this situation and hoping for progression in medical expertise to improve his condition.

Sandyman

I have the opposite reaction to most people in here when this gets bumped. I keep hoping it is some miraculous positive news that he has gotten better.

His family must feel awful. All those years on the circuit but a fecking ski accident turns their world upside down. :(

slyadams

Based on everything we know. But the situation is already so unique that they could be trying things that no one knows. I cannot believe that they wouldn’t have been able to be talked Into cutting off his support unless there was a glimmer of something that he might come back.
From what I've read, its not the case he's in a vegetative state or even on life support. He has consciousness, he's in a wheelchair, he's probably requiring significant assisted living, but there's nothing to suggest he has 0 quality of life.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
From what I've read, its not the case he's in a vegetative state or even on life support. He has consciousness, he's in a wheelchair, he's probably requiring significant assisted living, but there's nothing to suggest he has 0 quality of life.
Yeah if he was "OK" he would have done an interview or something by now. Brain damage like that is pretty much not salvageable right now.

If I was just stuck in a bed and couldn't talk / walk I would rather die, I just hope he has more than that.

I can't see why else the family would keep him alive, it's surely selfish.

Last edited:

GBBQ

Yeah if he was "OK" he would have done an interview or something by now. Brain damage like that is pretty much salvageable right now.

If I was just stuck in a bed and couldn't talk / walk I would rather die, I just hope he has more than that.

Its hard to find a reason why a global superstar like him would not do something to discuss what happened or show the work the surgeons did in getting him back on track (the one case that jumps to mind is how Christopher Reeves went public and campaigned for stem cell research after his injuries). Boils down to two options; he can't (vegetative state, severe brain damage etc.) or won't (bitterness, embarrassment, maintain privacy).

Adam-Utd

Its hard to find a reason why a global superstar like him would not do something to discuss what happened or show the work the surgeons did in getting him back on track (the one case that jumps to mind is how Christopher Reeves went public and campaigned for stem cell research after his injuries). Boils down to two options; he can't (vegetative state, severe brain damage etc.) or won't (bitterness, embarrassment, maintain privacy).
Let's be honest Schumacher is a winner and 1 of the most determined people on the planet, he was also very fit. If he had a chance to recover he would have done, but the damage must be too great.

It's been quite a few years now so I can't see him getting better without science progressing.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Let's be honest Schumacher is a winner and 1 of the most determined people on the planet, he was also very fit. If he had a chance to recover he would have done, but the damage must be too great.

It's been quite a few years now so I can't see him getting better without science progressing.

Agreed - I am sure the Family are actually waiting on the development of Science and medicine. He can afford to be keep on Life support for the rest of his life - who are we to say he has no chance. Science is moving so fast - who knows what could happen

SirAF

Ageist
I thought he wasn't even awake?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
This is one of those things I'd completely forgotten about. I just assumed he was okay :(
Me too, i was sure everything was alright now.
What is the actual status?

Tarrou

The status is we don't know because they aren't saying anything. I don't think they told anyone he's in a wheelchair or conscious as it would be all over the news.

slyadams

isn't it actually the other way around? That there's nothing to suggest he has any quality of life?
Shouldn’t we just allow the family to decide rather than speculating about letting him die?
Yeah if he was "OK" he would have done an interview or something by now. Brain damage like that is pretty much not salvageable right now.

How on Earth do you know what he would or wouldn’t do. It’s up to him.

Does anyone have any reliable source to say he’s not regained consciousness, or is in a vegetative state. Or wishes to die?

It’s probably a good idea to not label people has selfish when we have ZERO idea what’s going on.

gormless

Same, he was my hero growing up. I'm gutted. When it was announced he was "out of a coma", Sid Watkins successor as the F1 doctor, guy called Gary Hartstein (I think) wrote a piece stating he was probably "minimally conscious", and that he would remain that way forever most likely.
I remember he ended his piece with these words because they stuck in my mind for how desperately sad they made me.

"I’m quite afraid (and virtually certain) we will never have any good news about Michael. I rather dread seeing that the family has put out a press release."

Edit: somewhere on this blog I think

https://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/

Adam-Utd

Shouldn’t we just allow the family to decide rather than speculating about letting him die?

How on Earth do you know what he would or wouldn’t do. It’s up to him.

Does anyone have any reliable source to say he’s not regained consciousness, or is in a vegetative state. Or wishes to die?

It’s probably a good idea to not label people has selfish when we have ZERO idea what’s going on.
You didn’t read that properly did you?

I said if that was me.

slyadams

You didn’t read that properly did you?

I said if that was me.
No, I read it fine, you said:
Yeah if he was "OK" he would have done an interview or something by now
When you have no idea what he would or wouldn't do or why, its 100% speculation. You also said:
Pretty judgmental to make such suggestions when you have no idea what's going on.

Adam-Utd

No, I read it fine, you said:

When you have no idea what he would or wouldn't do or why, its 100% speculation. You also said:

Pretty judgmental to make such suggestions when you have no idea what's going on.
Because he's a famous celebrity with millions of fans around the world. He would want to let his fans know he is OK.

Do you really think if he was better he wouldn't be seen in public or doing any sort of interview? Yes it's speculation but it's pretty obvious IMO.

Abizzz

That says:
In October Schumacher’s lawyer, Felix Damm, said he "could not walk" and that the publication had invaded Schumacher’s privacy.

He confirmed that the seven-time world champion is unable to stand without the support of therapists and accused the magazine of giving fans “false hope”.
If he is unable to stand without support he's probably able to stand with support, hence conscious (to some degree)?