Gaming Microsoft buying Activision | CMA blocks deal over concerns for the cloud gaming market, decision to be appealed, Blizzard EVP threatens UK

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Thinking about it further, I suspect the argument about cloud gaming might hold some water. MS are fairly dominant in this market already as GP is very much it's own beast so having a massive IP like CoD would consolidate the market further, perhaps disallowing competitors to even get a grip in the cloud gaming market if they so chose to.

A side question then becomes about how Sony / Nintendo / Anyone else would intend to counter not just future dominance but the current state of things where MS offer a service that feels unparalleled to what they do / can.
Good question.

One wonders why this wasn't brought up when they got EA involved in it all too.

About that bit, I always had this feeling that, should the deal get approved and go through, any further acquisitions were going to get even more heavily scrutinized and almost certainly get blocked.
They'll get this one through and any future one they want.

People really don't understand what MS is and how it got to that position. Let alone how Activision got there too.

The correct decision.
It won't stand. One way or another, they'll get Activision.

Bosws87

Good question.

One wonders why this wasn't brought up when they got EA involved in it all too.

They'll get this one through and any future one they want.

People really don't understand what MS is and how it got to that position. Let alone how Activision got there too.

It won't stand. One way or another, they'll get Activision.
Happy to destroy the industry to say Xbox wins and they call themselves gamers.

Redlambs

Yep, I kind of wonder if it's an "Oh feck we better do something" decision when really they should have been thinking about all this a couple of years ago. It kind of strikes me that this proposed acquisition has jolted them into thinking about it.
Nah, it's a "my palm wasn't greased enough" decision.

And people still don't give a shit and back both these corrupt scumbags and the huge corps...then moan about the lack of talented teams and good games coming out.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
People don't want to look further into things.

Yup. Somebody just wants in on the deal. This will happen.

It's already in the public eye, they just don't care. Just like the responses to this, nobody gives a shit. It's just rich dickheads doing rich dickhead things.

What bothers me most is the people backing this who also complain about the lack of games and variety on their systems.

This whole post is hyperbole. MS were trying to sell off the Xbox division for years, now they have a new path this won't even dent it.

Away from gaming, it always amazes me just how much people want huge soulless companies to buy up everything. Even more so that it's against the evil Sony corp...who happen to be much smaller than MS. But let's not worry about that little nugget of truth eh?
Sony is massively bigger than MS in console gaming. Which is what my post was based on? In fact, I would go as far to say that in 2023 the playstation brand has become too big to fail. You could put a monkey in charge and they will still sell 100 million units.

Xbox consoles sales have been nothing more than mediocre for a long time, now and Series S and X are going to be outsold by more than 2:1 again this gen. I'm not sure how much longer MS will keep making consoles. I'm not saying they will leave the gaming business. Buying Activison would have reinvigorated the brand.

Redlambs

Sony is massively bigger than MS in console gaming. Which is what my post was based on? In fact, I would go as far to say that in 2023 the playstation brand has become too big to fail. You could put a monkey in charge and they will still sell 100 million units.

Xbox consoles sales have been nothing more than mediocre for a long time, now and Series S and X are going to be outsold by more than 2:1 again this gen. I'm not sure how much longer MS will keep making consoles. I'm not saying they will leave the gaming business. Buying Activison would have reinvigorated the brand.
I'm not sure where to go with this, you are painting one of the biggest companies in the world as the underdog?

Unless you think the Xbox division are buying Activision by themselves? Because if you do, maybe you should look a little deeper into the size of both those companies.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Yep, worth remembering that Sony had a partnership with Primark once. I've never seen any Microsoft stuff in there.

Smaller mass appeal than Greggs is saying something.

Bosws87

Seeming though only a couple of generations ago the 360 had the market at its fingertips and decided to produce the monstrosity that was kinect and Xbox one that comment is a stretch.

Microsoft were on the precipice of being or at least head to head with Sony and threw it all away with one of the worst consoles ever released.

Then they pretty much gave up then reignited there interest when they saw there was another opportunity to create a closed market with gamepass and cloud gaming.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Seeming though only a couple of generations ago the 360 had the market at its fingertips and decided to produce the monstrosity that was kinect and Xbox one that comment is a stretch.

Microsoft were on the precipice of being or at least head to head with Sony and threw it all away with one of the worst consoles every released.
The 360 was propped up by two markets, the UK and the US. The only markets that Xbox has ever been able to crack. It was also given extra life by the success of the kinect. And even after all that and many Sony feck ups, it was still outsold worldwide by the PS3.

Redlambs

The 360 was propped up by two markets, the UK and the US. The only markets that Xbox has ever been able to crack. It was also given extra life by the success of the kinect. And even after all that and many Sony feck ups, it was still outsold worldwide by the PS3.
"success of the kinect"

Ok, you have to be on a wum now :lol:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'm not sure where to go with this, you are painting one of the biggest companies in the world as the underdog?

Unless you think the Xbox division are buying Activision by themselves? Because if you do, maybe you should look a little deeper into the size of both those companies.
Xbox are the underdog against playstation. Very much so.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
"success of the kinect"

Ok, you have to be on a wum now :lol:
Wait, I thought you knew about gaming?

Go and check out how much the OG kinect sold. It was a huge success financially. Where do you think the Xbox One come from?

Bosws87

They had all the pieces in the right place it was only a matter of time if they kept on doing what they were doing.

It was an absolutely massive own goal and set them back decades, Sony handed it to them on a plate with the ridiculous ps3 price, new architecture, then Microsoft returned the favour with kinect, always online and no game swapping, birthing this video.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Wait, I thought you knew about gaming?

Go and check out how much the OG kinect sold. It was a huge success financially. Where do you think the Xbox One come from?
:lol:

Yeah nice try. Reminds me of the days when Cider and Alock were trying to convince people they could motion capture themselves into games with Kinect 2.0. Great times!

hobbers

Reinvigorated it how?

Not going to help them make better consoles. Certainly not going to help Microsoft studios grow the appeal of their dying flagship IPs either.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

Yeah nice try. Reminds me of the days when Cider and Alock were trying to convince people they could motion capture themselves into games with Kinect 2.0. Great times!
The kinect 1.0 and 2.0 were both shit and huge mistakes imo. However, financially, the kinect 1.0 was a huge hit! It boosted the 360 sales big time at the end of it's life. It's why they had a hard on for the 2.0.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Microsoft aren't going to leave the console business - not any time soon, anyway.

Work on their supply, actually market it - only marketing for Xbox I've seen so far this year is pitchside advertising in an FA Cup game - and invest in their existing studios and they'll be fine. Doesn't really matter as the ABK deal will still go through, will just take a bit longer that's all.

Redfall, Starfield and Forza are coming in the meantime so just enjoy them when they're out and relax.

Redlambs

They had all the pieces in the right place it was only a matter of time if they kept on doing what they were doing.

It was an absolutely massive own goal and set them back decades, Sony handed it to them on a plate with the ridiculous ps3 price, new architecture. Then Microsoft returned the favour with kinect, always online and no game swapping.
They started off well enough before that. The OG Xbox and the way they set up initially was fantastic.

The 360 era, which despite the shocking quality of the machine build-wise was a success, was more about the PS3 being horrible to develop for and MS literally giving away development machines and rights for free. The mistake after that was scaling back and being caught up trying to cut costs and compete more on the Nintendo side of things whilst not being fully committed to the Xbox division.

The kinect stuff was just hilarious to watch :lol:

Redlambs

No one, now.

Again, MS having access to a war chest does not change the fact of how playstation= gaming for large swaths of the planet.
Stop talking shite and answer the question. The deal is going through...who is buying Activision, it's a simple question!

The kinect 1.0 and 2.0 were both shit and huge mistakes imo. However, financially, the kinect 1.0 was a huge hit! It boosted the 360 sales big time at the end of it's life. It's why they had a hard on for the 2.0.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Reinvigorated it how?

Not going to help them make better consoles. Certainly not going to help Microsoft studios grow the appeal of their dying flagship IPs either.
Just in general mood around the brand. I agree that it would not have led to a huge difference in console sales for them (because COD would not be exclusive). It would have increased the income of the gaming division dramatically, though. And that looks good to shareholders if nothing else.

Redlambs

Microsoft aren't going to leave the console business - not any time soon, anyway.
They tried to numerous times. But that wasn't leaving gaming, it was more a hardware thing which of course they will get in a couple of generations anyway.

But no, the Xbox division is going nowhere. It's daft as mud to suggest otherwise.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Stop talking shite and answer the question. The deal is going through...who is buying Activision, it's a simple question!

I don't think the deal will go through. However, if it did then guess what? MS would STILL behind Sony (slightly) in gaming revenue.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
They tried to numerous times. But that wasn't leaving gaming, it was more a hardware thing which of course they will get in a couple of generations anyway.

But no, the Xbox division is going nowhere. It's daft as mud to suggest otherwise.
Xbox- no, consoles - maybe have one more gen in them.

Damien

Staff
I don't think the deal will go through. However, if it did then guess what? MS would STILL behind Sony (slightly) in gaming revenue.
That's their problem for committing to releasing all first party games day one on GP and turning their acquired publishers from multiplatform into (mostly) one platform and PC.

Despite what some say, day one GP does affect game sales.

Redlambs

Just in general mood around the brand. I agree that it would not have led to a huge difference in console sales for them (because COD would not be exclusive). It would have increased the income of the gaming division dramatically, though. And that looks good to shareholders if nothing else.
Whos shareholders? MS?

So you do know the answer, but refuse to concede where the problem is with your guesswork huh?

Fair enough, stick to your guns.

Xbox- no, consoles - maybe have one more gen in them.
Maybe?

Tell me, what do you base that on? Explain to me, since you know so much, the factors that will lead hardware manufacturers such as Sony to step away and go full online? What's the timeline between now and the whole world having the internet capabilites and the server farms the capacity to run all games exclusively via the "cloud"?

You know since you think I don't know much about gaming and you seem to know better. Educate me on all this. I'm listening.

Last edited:

Redlambs

That's their problem for committing to releasing all first party games day one on GP and turning their acquired publishers from multiplatform into (mostly) one platform and PC.

Despite what some say, day one GP does affect game sales.
I wonder if he knows just how much MS prop up the gamepass (and for you Dixie, no I'm not talking about the XBOX division I'm talking about Microsoft).

It's just like people who moan about Netflix cutting series and costs, whilst putting prices up. People really don't understand just how in the infancy this subscription based stuff really is, and how propped up these companies are. Similar to how now people seem to be cottoning on to Uber and all that.

Bosws87

Subscription models are great until everyone of your competitors has one to and then they are terrible all round, just becomes a giant gatekeeping contest.

Redlambs

Subscription models are great until everyone of your competitors has one to and then they are terrible all round, just becomes a giant gatekeeping contest.
Not for the people who have to do the work they aren't.

Well at least not when those companies have to start clawing the money back anyway. Sunshine and lollipops at first though!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Who's shareholders? MS?

So you do know the answer, but refuse to concede where the problem is with your guesswork huh?

Fair enough, stick to your guns.

Maybe?

Tell me, what do you base that on? Explain to me, since you know so much, the factors that will lead hardware manufacturers such as Sony to step away and go full online? What's the timeline between now and the whole world having the internet capabilites and the server farms the capacity to run all games exclusively via the "cloud"?

You know since you think I don't know much about gaming and you seem to know better. Educate me on all this. I'm listening.
Erm, I meant xbox might have one more console gen in them. Not Sony, sorry if that wasn't clear. Sony will ride consoles for as long as possible. It's such a huge part of their business. They would be crazy to go cloud only. Whereas, Xbox for a long time was a fart in the wind to MS.

As for 'sticking to my guns' - I'll acknowledge that MS is a company far far bigger than Sony. That's a fact. I mean what other opinion would be possible?

I won't concede that Xbox has ever been anything other than a underdog when up against PlayStation and Nintendo.

Btw, you do know a lot about gaming, that's why I was surprised about the :lol: for my kinect point. I don't know if we got our wires crossed and you were perhaps talking about the quality of the device rather than sales figures? I dunno.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
I wonder if he knows just how much MS prop up the gamepass (and for you Dixie, no I'm not talking about the XBOX division I'm talking about Microsoft).

It's just like people who moan about Netflix cutting series and costs, whilst putting prices up. People really don't understand just how in the infancy this subscription based stuff really is, and how propped up these companies are. Similar to how now people seem to be cottoning on to Uber and all that.
I think a lot of people have their heads in the sand over it - and it's easier to be unaware when Microsoft doesn't report that kind of thing in depth in their financials.

Like, every financial report we know exactly how many PS+ users there are but the number of GP users is a mystery. I think it was 2-3 years ago that people were speculating it was nearing/broken through the 30m barrier but the last estimate was below that. Part of their push into TV apps and that Keystone device was to try and reach more people who won't buy the console but maybe would get GP to play on the TV, but the TV app is still limited to one provider and the Keystone device got scrapped - I'm sure it'll be back in some form sooner or later.

Redlambs

As for 'sticking to my guns' - I'll acknowledge that MS is a company far far bigger than Sony, that's a fact. I mean what other opinion would be possible?
Are you deliberately being this obtuse?

I won't concede that Xbox has ever been anything other than a underdog when up against PlayStation and Nintendo.
Again: :lol:

Then you have no idea about this subject at all. Sure they were and are always playing catch up in the gaming sense, but you fundamentally fail to understand what this takeover is about, who is doing it and the consequences. You simply do not understand who is buying what here and for why.

It's all rather ironic considering that word you mentioned in your first post about this. It's almost as if you have an unhealthy attachment to a brand and just won't let yourself see the bigger picture. Fear not though my friend, we've all been there at some stage ;)

Anyway, this will happen. One way or another. And no, Activision games will not always be on the PS, that's lip service to get it forced through. As a gamer it's a double edged sword for me: On the one hand, Activision are trash and hugely suited to MS plus I have an X and PC so it doesn't bother me anyway. On the other, it's further stifling of the industry/hobby I love. What does get me though is just how many people blindly back these big corporations playing these games which ultimately mean worse deals for everyone down the chain. It's like people who can't wait to give billionaires like Musk money, where exactly are your heads at?

I think a lot of people have their heads in the sand over it - and it's easier to be unaware when Microsoft doesn't report that kind of thing in depth in their financials.

Like, every financial report we know exactly how many PS+ users there are but the number of GP users is a mystery. I think it was 2-3 years ago that people were speculating it was nearing/broken through the 30m barrier but the last estimate was below that. Part of their push into TV apps and that Keystone device was to try and reach more people who won't buy the console but maybe would get GP to play on the TV, but the TV app is still limited to one provider and the Keystone device got scrapped - I'm sure it'll be back in some form sooner or later.
That's the crux of it, since it's MS who runs the show and is subsidising it all, we will never know. Which is why it's so weird that some think one of the biggest companies, and certainly right up there as one of the most powerful, in the world is some kind of underdog!

Especially as it's really not hard to look up how they got there through this exact same behaviour historically.

But hey, as long as their bit of plastic plays a game someone else's doesn't, I guess it makes sense.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Thinking about it further, I suspect the argument about cloud gaming might hold some water. MS are fairly dominant in this market already as GP is very much it's own beast so having a massive IP like CoD would only help to consolidate the market further, perhaps disallowing competitors to even get a grip in the cloud gaming market if they so chose to.

A side question then becomes about how Sony / Nintendo / Anyone else would intend to counter not just future dominance but the current state of things where MS offer a service that feels unparalleled to what they do / can.

See above but I don't see why MS wouldn't. They look increasingly disinterested in the console market knowing Sony will continue to take their trousers down, so would only benefit hugely from the player-base they can get from PS5 owners.
They have literally removed all future Bethesda games from PlayStation ffs :lol: