Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

AshRK

This season's last season's Ole
People keep on saying this but last season after playing 15 games we were 6th and were not 15th. In fact at no point were we that low. We were definitely inconsistent but in the process we were still scoring goals and beat city and spurs back to back. Our forward in rashford was still banging goals unlike arsenal's.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
The exchange rate has complicated things (thanks Brexit!) so the stat slips to having a (?) at the end.
Also Liverpool getting all of Coutinhos fee just popped into my feed so it looks as if i wished this (sort of) stat out of existence!
Unfortunately (for Barca) it's reality :D

Cpt Negative

It’s a good win given how poor they were in the first half, reminded me of some of our wins this season

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Of course he's turning it around, he's an elite level manager, was always only a matter of time

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His next three are West Brom, Palace and Newcastle. So the run will probably continue until Southampton and then us.
Big Sam will crush him, literally perhaps

Crashoutcassius

After his recent resurgence in form, which we all expected, I think he deserves a nickname fitting of the second coming of pep

Thinking mik or 'Tet' , I'd enjoy calling him saint Tet for his final couple of months of employment

Mike Smalling

It wasn't exactly a good performance yesterday - they only won because Brighton were crap going forward. Any half decent team would have scored at least once against that Arsenal side.

InfiniteBoredom

They were bound to pick up some points after that rough ride, but Auba is still in a rut and their problem with chance creation is still there. I’d bet on them losing or drawing at least one of the next 3, then it’s going to be another brutal run for them, starting with us, hopefully.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
I think it's perfectly reasonable for Utd fans to be annoyed at how Arteta has been treated compared to Ole.

Some of the ludicrous overreaction to Arsenal winning the Cup or beating us last month from sections of the media, evidence you can see in this thread, was mental. Ian Wright claimed if Arteta had our squad he'd win the title for feck sake. Miguel Delaney was talking about how great Arteta was and how nobody in football respects Ole. That's incredibly unprofessional and snide.

We're 12 points ahead of them with a game in hand. So I think it's fair enough for utd fans to remind these idiots of the shit they were saying only a month ago.
With a much, much, much better squad.

Threesus

With a much, much, much better squad.
Hold on a minute. Most Arsenal fans were saying that they were serious favorites to get into the top 4 after the FA cup final and getting Partey( even released a music video and everything). "Arteta broke Klopp" and all that. "Martinelli is the best youngster in the league". "A gunman in Aubameyang". "Tierney with his shirt tucked in". "Gabriel is better than Maguire". I think most of you lot are just backtracking now because of your horrible season prior to last week.

Chief123

Arteta to a T. Absolute shite but bags a win against a big club and all is forgotten. Same as last season.
I really don’t want Arsenal to lose too many games. I’m happy for them to get a win here or there. We want Arteta to stay as Arsenal manager for as long as possible!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can tell the difference between us and them. We coached Rashford or our wide players to make those runs behind the defenders or in between the full back and centre back. The opposite to Arteta, you barely see Aubameyang or Saka or Pepe making those runs, they are hugging the touchline. That's why they keep playing sideways because the options are not making run but just hugging the touchline.

Djemba-Djemba

They're like a proper lower mid table team.

Rather toothless in open play but look dangerous from set pieces.

They've sort of become everything they hated under Wenger

OneUnited24

You can tell the difference between us and them. We coached Rashford or our wide players to make those runs behind the defenders or in between the full back and centre back. The opposite to Arteta, you barely see Aubameyang or Saka or Pepe making those runs, they are hugging the touchline. That's why they keep playing sideways because the options are not making run but just hugging the touchline.
Its similar to what LvG used to do - have players in quadrants around the pitch, with little freedom to move between them.

RedDevil@84

Good old LVG days of sideways passing and then passing to the back and then more passing. And designated strikers who are allowed to shoot and others who are supposed to pass

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it’s the fundamental issue with possession based football. It’s entirely reliant on individuals bailing out the otherwise drab possession otherwise it ends up being played in front of the defence. Once you get the pieces in place like Guadiola does with his bottomless pit of money, it’s a very dominating style of play, but with average players that LVG and Arteta have access too, it just fails to work more often than not.

Threesus

I think it’s the fundamental issue with possession based football. It’s entirely reliant on individuals bailing out the otherwise drab possession otherwise it ends up being played in front of the defence. Once you get the pieces in place like Guadiola does with his bottomless pit of money, it’s a very dominating style of play, but with average players that LVG and Arteta have access too, it just fails to work more often than not.
Think you are underselling Pep a lot. I think possession football is drab when there is no movement by the forwards and the midfielders and no coordinated pressing. Which is what we used to do under LVG.
Saying that, Pep has somewhat ruined football in that every manager needs to have a 'philosophy'. It's possibly the most overused word in football today, along with 'generational'. I certainly don't mind a bit of improv football, although we do it too much for my liking.

Fluctuation0161

Absolutely spot on.

I remember how Pep struggled at first, even with KDB, Aguero and Sterling.

Most managers would have done better than he did at first, he inherited a torture winning squad. Until he bought his way out of trouble, then it started to click.

Threesus

Absolutely spot on.

I remember how Pep struggled at first, even with KDB, Aguero and Sterling.

Most managers would have done better than he did at first, he inherited a torture winning squad. Until he bought his way out of trouble, then it started to click.
In the first season, their underlying metrics very good though. For example, Chelsea scored I think 85 or 84 goals that season, but going by stats, they should have scored only 63 or something, which they did the next season. City's problem was poor finishing and aging players like Zabaleta. The next 2 seasons, City had the fewest counterattacks against them and played teams off the park. Their defence was like the first or 2nd in both of their title winning seasons under him. Clearly he is doing something right because everyone in the world wants him. It is certainly a fact that he spends a lot of money, but for him to do his thing, he needs expensive ingredients and he more often than not, has delivered in his career.

city-puma

TBF, they now just look like what we are a year ago.
He needs some creative thinking to find a way forward. Crystal Palace isn’t really a low block team. They just stay in their half and counter. Arsenal will find it even more difficult to play low block team.

city-puma

The issue is they don’t have the space to run in behind and they cannot create the space either.