Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Assuming they lose to Chelsea and City, that's three defeats already. Makes it hard to achieve anything meaningful in the league after that.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This is probably the worst start Arteta can imagine for the season. Arsenal's slump will continue this season.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Sack the fecking clown tomorrow.

Should have happened in summer at the latest, but tomorrow is still better than the day after tomorrow. Arsenal fans are morons for supporting the decision to go into the season with him.

U99ted

Sack the fecking clown tomorrow.

Should have happened in summer at the latest, but tomorrow is still better than the day after tomorrow. Arsenal fans are morons for supporting the decision to go into the season with him.
I agree with the first four words of the bolded, but collectively, I doubt they want Arteta in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Arteta isn't good enough. About time Arsenal fans admitted it. Lego Pep been awful for them.

Teja

His son says Ben White > Varane.

About 8 brain cells between the two of them.
Oo I never made the connection that SWP was Ian Wright's son. I was wondering what SWP had against us and assumed the Man City link.

rotherham_red

I want him to survive long enough that we play his team.

Them and he are due an absolutely colossal battering off us considering the snide results they've gotten in the fixture since he got the job.

InfiniteBoredom

What I just don’t get is how he’s getting all this leeway still from a portion of the Arsenal fan base, or the initial reaction shown towards him. Dude played most of his peak at Everton as a decent if unspectacular player and was panicked bought by Wenger after the 8-2, and continued the decent performances for a few years before retiring and became Guardiola’s assistant. Is it just the Pep halo rubbing off on him or Arsenal had fallen so low even then that an average player like him was considered one of their own after a thoroughly undistinguished stint?

Ace of Spades

There is nothing to suggest that he is a good manager much less a top class one, but somehow has plenty of fanboys make excuse after excuse for him.

Personally, always thought it was a stupid decision to give a novice the job in the first place. They can be patient, but other clubs around them are progressing quickly.

POF

What I want to know is what does Tim Cahill make of all of this.

Does Mikel still know why they lost?

The Red Thinker

I didn’t know this about Ben White, but apparently his aerial duel win percentage is worse than even Lindelof’s?? What is that recruitment department smoking?? You then buy him £50m when Kounde was waiting around twiddling thumbs?? Horrendous.

The Red Thinker

Every time Arsenal mess up, it is a constant reminder that great coaches don’t make great managers. For two years straight now, he’s managed to alienate his best players in crucial times and has also been tactically undone over and over and over again.

I’m not an Ole fanatic but I support his progress because almost every decision he’s made for the club it’s been positive. He’s made mistakes on the pitch, but those are few and far between. You need to be able to set a vision got a club. Arsenal have none.

littleman

Don't understand why Arsenal didn't just buy Koulibaly for 20-30m GBP. He's 30, but he'll give you what you need right now and you don't need to wait.

I feel bad because I have friends who are Arsenal fans, but goddamn, this club is pure disaster

Josep Dowling

What I just don’t get is how he’s getting all this leeway still from a portion of the Arsenal fan base, or the initial reaction shown towards him. Dude played most of his peak at Everton as a decent if unspectacular player and was panicked bought by Wenger after the 8-2, and continued the decent performances for a few years before retiring and became Guardiola’s assistant. Is it just the Pep halo rubbing off on him or Arsenal had fallen so low even then that an average player like him was considered one of their own after a thoroughly undistinguished stint?
The media latched on to him being world class because he worked with Pep. He was the ‘secret’ to Pep’s success, even though he’s been successful before, and after, Arteta was a coach for him.

The media have stuck with this narrative since the very beginning, whilst mocking Ole along the way. They won’t admit they’re wrong. A lot of fans have got caught up in the same narrative.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still blows my mind that Ian Wright’s grandson, Shaun’s son, is 19 and signed for Stoke.

I remember it blowing my mind when Shaun broke through at City that he was Ian’s son who was also only in his late 30s himself back then.

Yes I’m aware he adopted Shaun when he was young.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Still blows my mind that Ian Wright’s grandson, Shaun’s son, is 19 and signed for Stoke.

I remember it blowing my mind when Shaun broke through at City that he was Ian’s son who was also only in his late 30s himself back then.

Yes I’m aware he adopted Shaun when he was young.
Weirdly, a friend of mine became a good pal of Shaun. They bonded over Harley Davidsons. This is the first time I heard he has a son who is also a professional footballer. That’s crazy. Surely the most time compressed three generations of professionals footballers ever? (the alternative is that I’m much much older than I think I am, so feck that)

Woodzy

That lineup yesterday was the most mid table looking line up you will ever see. Think that’s Arsenal done at the top level tbh.

crossy1686

career ending
Assuming they lose to Chelsea and City, that's three defeats already. Makes it hard to achieve anything meaningful in the league after that.
There's 35 games left to play at that point...technically they could still win the league. Writing a season off after 3 games is a bit fecking much, no?

crossy1686

career ending
That lineup yesterday was the most mid table looking line up you will ever see. Think that’s Arsenal done at the top level tbh.
Have a look at ours this time last year, it was almost as bad.

Agree though, I said this a couple of seasons ago when they were signing bang average rejects in their 30's on free transfers and daft wages. They are fecking years away from being competitive again, at least 5 from CL football. Whomever the manager is, Arteta or someone else, this is a 5+ year project now. Swapping and sacking managers every couple of years is just going to put them further back.

Tony247

I think we should sell him Lingard. Arteta needs someone like Lingard in the middle.

crossy1686

career ending
Arteta to be gone by Xmas. He has shown nothing to indicate he should be in the job. He's had a couple of flukey wins that resulted from blind shit-house luck and not any tactic or strategy on his part.
Who do they replace him with though? No big name manager is going to touch them with the current squad being this shit and the recruitment being as poor as it has been in the last few years.

They'll have to find a LVG figure who just fancies a project for a few years, no one's putting their reputation on the line. Either that or they need to hope Henry or Viera do an amazing job in the next 6 months.