Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Think I mentioned after the City game that the stretch of subsequent games would be key.

Still work to do in making Arsenal more dominant in games, but the results over the last few games will buy him some time to do that.
He’s always been pretty good at getting narrow wins against crap teams. That was behind all the silly hype in the first few months in charge. Especially after they rope a doped their way to some undeserved results against big teams (which they did in their only half decent result in recent weeks vs Leicester). Recent results don’t make any difference to the bigger picture.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Anfield and Old Trafford in their next three, will be interesting games.

He’s got a nice balance at the moment, was nice to see Maitland-Niles playing well, filled the role very well and was a big part in nullifying Watford.

Aubameyang was very poor.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He’s always been pretty good at getting narrow wins against crap teams. That was behind all the silly hype in the first few months in charge. Especially after they rope a doped their way to some undeserved results against big teams (which they did in their only half decent result in recent weeks vs Leicester). Recent results don’t make any difference to the bigger picture.
Not quite right. We were dreadful at home last season against sides of any level. We’ve been much much better against the bottom-half sides so far this season, the team has gone up a level vs. last year.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Think I mentioned after the City game that the stretch of subsequent games would be key.

Still work to do in making Arsenal more dominant in games, but the results over the last few games will buy him some time to do that.
Laborious, narrow wins against lower table teams might buy him some time alright, but should not deter the club from looking for an upgrade on him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't disagree with you and ultimately if all he brings to the table are these narrow wins against crap teams then they won't save him, eventually their fans will demand more.

AshRK

Credit to him for getting them back to 5th place but I still don't think the football his side plays is sustainable. It's boring. Watford could have easily equalized today. Major test against Liverpool. Win that and maybe he has finally found a plan which may work for sometime.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Laborious, narrow wins against lower table teams might buy him some time alright, but should not deter the club from looking for an upgrade on him.
So far he's definitely upgradeable and if they find a viable option that makes sense there's no reason why they shouldn't pull the trigger. That concept applies to all but a few clubs in Europe though.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It-s not funny anymore, is it? As I predicted, I knew he would surpass Ole; only 3 points behind Liverpool and City; currently in Top4 form.

Ole remains the very worst manager of the Top6 clubs.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So far he's definitely upgradeable and if they find a viable option that makes sense there's no reason why they shouldn't pull the trigger. That concept applies to all but a few clubs in Europe though.
I think they'd be mental to do that. It was a disaster of a job and he's done a really good job rejuvenating the squad and putting together a young side, I think other than Aubameyang and Lacazette everyone playing today was 24 or under.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
We keep playing meh football and winning. Incredible how we're only 3 points behind Liverpoool. 2 if West Ham's lead holds.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Anfield and Old Trafford in their next three, will be interesting games.

He’s got a nice balance at the moment, was nice to see Maitland-Niles playing well, filled the role very well and was a big part in nullifying Watford.

Aubameyang was very poor.
Old Trafford is one of the easiest game on calendar for any half decent team right now.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We keep playing meh football and winning. Incredible how we're only 3 points behind Liverpoool. 2 if West Ham's lead holds.
The next 4 matches should tell us more about this team. Been sneaking past teams, with generally poor control over matches. Feels like Emery's unbeaten run. If we get positive results against Liverpool, Everton and Utd then we might be onto something.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Not quite right. We were dreadful at home last season against sides of any level. We’ve been much much better against the bottom-half sides so far this season, the team has gone up a level vs. last year.
Exactly, last year we were barely creating chances and winning games that could've gone either way. This year we have a lot more creativity, completely dominated Norwich, Tottenham and Villa and should've won by 3 or 4 goals at least. We were unlucky against Crystal Palace with the 2 goals they scored and should've beaten them.

The difference between our actual points and xG points this year compared to last will tell you that.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Don't think any sane Arsenal fan is getting carried away with this run of decent results.

It looks like there's a good base to build from again. A young team, looking organised again, got some decent characters in there as well.

There's a long way to go, & as most have said, a lot of work needed in controlling midfield more & still creating chances through open play, but at least it seems to be going in a direction again.

Last edited:

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Don't think any sane Arsenal fan is getting carried away with this run of decent results.

It looks like there's a good base to build from again. A young team, looking organised again, got some decent characters in there again.

There's a long way to go, & as most have said, a lot of work needed in controlling midfield more & still creating chances through open play, but at least it seems to be going in a direction again.
Still needs a genuinely world class midfielder and striker to sort this into something that can actually challenge.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Still needs a genuinely world class midfielder and striker to sort this into something that can actually challenge.
We will never challenge for the league. Our resources arnt there. Our main aim is top 4 going forward where we can hopefully try and compete for the best players.

Anyway nice result. Still lacking something I feel overall. At least we have improved a level this year, I don't see us finishing 8th for a third time this season.

::sonny::

They have a lot of young and interesting players, great athleticism

They will do better than United in the future

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I agree that will be the next 2 positions we will look to strengthen, i would say next summer but interesting to read Di Marzio saying we are trying to secure Vlahovic as early as January. I would have thought that was a Conte target all day long.

Still really unsure if the manager is good enough to get a squad to challenge in a league that now has Pep, Klopp, Tuchel & Conte in it, but adding quality in those 2 positions with Saliba coming back gives a really interesting young team / squad, maybe need another manager to take it to the next level though.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If he picks up points next game I’ll stop calling him Lego until the end of the year.

Jackal981

However shit Arteta is, he is 100x better than Ole. Ole will have this Arsenal squad in relegation spot and cry about buying 11 world class players

GMoore23

However shit Arteta is, he is 100x better than Ole. Ole will have this Arsenal squad in relegation spot and cry about buying 11 world class players
Ole got us top 4 with a very average squad in 19/20 so that's a bit harsh.

gajender

Arsenal's underlying stats are still very underwhelming I don't think they have turned any corner at all their results would soon average out can't see them finishing with anything more than 65 points but who knows it might still be good enough for top 4 this season . Make no mistake he is their Ole sooner they make the change better it would be for them .

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think they're doing ok, still in transition but he's got them going in the right direction, not sure sacking him would prove any value at this moment in time, I'd leave it until the end of the season and re-evaluate then.

SuperiorXI

:lol: he's absolutely not "100x better", based on what? Ole has consistently out performed him points wise in the league. The only thing he's better than Ole at is looking like the lego man. Recent calamitous results from Ole don't change this.

Glorio

I really don't blame you for assuming that other club boards employ sound logic like that of yours.

justsomebloke

There's no point going off your rocker altogether, however bleak things are looking currently.

Jackal981

:lol: he's absolutely not "100x better", based on what? Ole has consistently out performed him points wise in the league. The only thing he's better than Ole at is looking like the lego man. Recent calamitous results from Ole don't change this.
No shit Ole has outperformed him when you compare the squads and spending between us and Arsenal. Remember our manager is a chequebook manager (and not a good one to boot). 3 years 500mil and the result is 0 trophies and we are not even getting closer to Citeh and Pool. We are currently fighting top 4 with Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, Everton and Leicester. That is our current position. Even lego Pep win a cup so for me he is already 100x better than Ole. Even Ole never beat Arteta I think. Ole would have Arsenal relegated last season or so with his incoherent setup

led_scholes

Ole got us top 4 with a very average squad in 19/20 so that's a bit harsh.
It was an average squad till Bruno arrived. The bubble, Leicester's injury crisis, Chelsea having no transfers (and Lampard as a manager), and Greenwood's form helped us secure a top 4 that year.Still, we had already spent 150 millions in net.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Lacazette is playing well at the moment for his link up play in the #10 or 2nd striker role but his contract expires next summer. So happy to see Ainsley Maitland-Niles played well as well.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I don't quite understand this mentality in fans to be honest. Football is a results business AND with respect to Arsenal, it's clear that they're in a rebuilding phase with young players. It seems like Arteta's new signings are doing well so far and there seems to be a togetherness in the squad. What criteria would you be using to upgrade him? It would mean re-evaluating your objectives for either short-term gains or just because you think he isn't good enough. He's in a difficult league with very good managers and teams that he needs to compete against. Why not just give the time he needs?

dove

He isn't 100x better. I would say they are equally as shit.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
What I've seen so far looks okay from Arsenal with respect to what Arteta is trying to achieve. The problem right now is that after about 30mins, the team looks like they've run out of steam.

dal

To be fair to Ole he got us to third where he played Periera, Lingard, Martial, Mctominay and an inexperienced Rashford for half a season, he’s much better than Arteta.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
To be fair to Ole he got us to third where he played Periera, Lingard, Martial, Mctominay and an inexperienced Rashford for half a season, he’s much better than Arteta.
I don't think it's fair to write off what Ole has done during his tenure because of his troubles this season, but the bolded is obviously not true. Arteta took over a much worse squad, had far less money to spend and had less time in the role. I said it when Arteta was hired that people were judging Arsenal on the name and not the quality of the side, he had a tremendously hard job and is doing well so far, especially considering it's his first job in management.

dal

I don't think it's fair to write off what Ole has done during his tenure because of his troubles this season, but the bolded is obviously not true. Arteta took over a much worse squad, had far less money to spend and had less time in the role. I said it when Arteta was hired that people were judging Arsenal on the name and not the quality of the side, he had a tremendously hard job and is doing well so far, especially considering it's his first job in management.
Again that’s fair enough but last year Ole had probably the fourth best squad in the league and finished second. He’s obviously underperforming right now.

However where ever Arteta is in his curve he isn’t a better manager than even Ole yet.

BlueHaze

Some people on here saying Arteta is better than Ole and getting laughed at but a sad fact is Arteta already won the FA cup + community shield with Arsenal, a team with a much worse squad than ours. And I believe he won the FA cup within 6 months of getting hired.

Meanwhile here we are 3 years in with the same man and 0 titles.

AshRK

This is one big lie that has been going on. Where are you getting that from. Arsenal have spent almost same amount of money as United in past 3 seasons. Stop pretending as if Arteta is working on tight budget.