Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Look comparing Arteta to OGS is a waste of time - Arteta will still be manager in 3 months time, OGS won’t be. But funny how you Mancs badmouth us now you are forced to see us rivals given your less than impressive form and table position.
With your crop of talented players, you should do better , the reason you don’t is because they don’t believe in OGS

As for Arsenal, we are building back better around a young team policy - there will be stumbles in the road but at least we fans believe in it - tell me, Mancs what do you believe in?

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Of course I can speak for myself and not on behalf of other fans. I would definitely enjoy a day out seeing my club win a trophy but if you are giving me an option of winning a domestic cup and finishing 8th or finishing 2nd with no trophy, I would choose the latter every single day. I don't think there's anything controversial with that.
As false dichotomies go, that’s up there with the best

Sylar

As in one has spent 200m, and one has spent 400m. When taking into consideration the jobs both have done, you have to look at the amount of money they've been given to shape the squad to their liking. That's not even taking things like wages into consideration.

It could be argued but they'd be wrong, when comparing the two squads that both inherited no one on here would have gone with the Arsenal squad. They finished 6th because Mourinho had his usual meltdown, they had just finished second the season before, and the season before that had actually won the Europa. I'm not saying the United squad didn't have issues, but it was superior to the Arsenal squad.

I haven't just started arguing his case, I argued when he took over that people were vastly underestimating the difficulty of the job he had, and I argued a year into his tenure that people were righting him off far too quickly, all in this very thread. So it's not about false dawns, it's about seeing the progress he's made with rejuvenating the squad, especially with young players after being given money this summer, moving a lot of players on and settling on a consistent 11.
But again, youre comparing 400m to 200m when one manager has been there longer, so of course he would have spent more. But Ole has finished above him twice.

Arsenal have not finished on par for the squad at all however. In fact they more than under achieved under him (helped by an FA cup win that gave him credit in the bank)

When Ole took over United, there was talk of needing a complete overhaul. Again, on this very forum. The squad now is superior to what Ole inherited. Ole is under achieving this season no doubt, but can we say that in terms of league and even some of the cups last few years?
Whereas Arsenal have completely under achieved since Arteta has been there. All this talk about progress for his Arsenal and rejuvinating the squad is exactly what Ole has done.

I know it wasnt you, but the whole hes 100x better than Ole is nonsense in this thread too.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don't quite understand this mentality in fans to be honest. Football is a results business AND with respect to Arsenal, it's clear that they're in a rebuilding phase with young players. It seems like Arteta's new signings are doing well so far and there seems to be a togetherness in the squad. What criteria would you be using to upgrade him? It would mean re-evaluating your objectives for either short-term gains or just because you think he isn't good enough. He's in a difficult league with very good managers and teams that he needs to compete against. Why not just give the time he needs?
Giving him more time won't change anything. He's in his third season. How it is now is how it is going to be. A few good wins and the odd great game will interchange with a few disappointing draws or defeats. His Arsenal are sometimes quite good, often poor, but never consistently great. And that's not what I think, that's the reality of what's been happening.
Why would he turn into a better manager than he has shown to be, if he's given more time? He won't. This is it.

And what criteria would a club use to upgrade on him... what a bizarre question when we're talking about Arteta. How about hiring someone with a good record, instead of someone with no record at all?

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
But again, youre comparing 400m to 200m when one manager has been there longer, so of course he would have spent more. But Ole has finished above him twice.
Right, but I never said anything against that? I was pointing out when comparing the two jobs they've done that one has spent a lot more money. He was also able to spend 200m in his first summer, whereas Arteta had to wait until this summer to really overhaul the squad

Arsenal have not finished on par for the squad at all however. In fact they more than under achieved under him (helped by an FA cup win that gave him credit in the bank)
The Arsenal squad he inherited was awful, Emery had done well to get 5th, but they were incredibly luck to do so. At the end of the season they picked up 7 points from 21, and carried that form into the next season where in their opening 17 games, they had won 5, drew 7 and lost 5. They were in the bottom half of the table when Arteta took over.

I said all this at the time
He’s done well so far. I do think the football is pretty dire to watch, but the squad is fairly shite and I don’t think it’s a bad call to be more pragmatic while he tries to mould the squad into something that he feels can become a little more expansive and easier on the eye. Especially due to the circumstances when he took over.

I’m quoting you but there’s a few who share your sentiments. I think you’re pretty badly mistaken here. Not solely on the topic of Arteta, but the idea that a manager won’t deviate from a certain style depending on the makeup of the squad he has. It’s patently untrue.
I can’t say if the media treats one club better than the other, but I think it’s a stretch to say the situations at the club aren’t too dissimilar. How many Arsenal players would start for United?
Ive brought this up before. People are judging Arsenal by the name, not the actual quality of their players. How many Arsenal players would get in at United? Saka on the right probably, maybe Aubameyang or Lacazette up top. Ole has clearly done a better job but he has been their longer and inherited a better team (not to detract from his team building and the good work he’s done in shifting players and buying players). It’s easily the worst Arsenal squad I’ve ever known and Arteta hasn’t really been given much room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. Partey is one signing, and it’s not been a good first season but he’s had injury troubles and we can look to the likes of Fred to see that first seasons can be tricky and not always representative of the player. For marquee signings that’s been about it.

Not that Arteta shouldn’t be criticised, bar a short spell earlier this year the football has often been pretty dire and he desperately needs to improve on that. There are managers with worse squads who are playing a more distinct, easy on the eye football than Arteta is managing. Graham Potter is still relatively inexperienced at the highest level but I’d rather watch his Brighton most weeks over Arsenal.

If hypothetically he wins the Europa that’ll be two trophies in a season and a half. I don’t think cups are a very good sign of progress but it’s still silverware, even if it’s less flying and more falling in style.

It's why the board have kept faith when everyone was calling for his head. They were fully aware of how difficult it was going to be to turn this side around, especially as they had to wait until this summer to overhaul the squad. The problems were severe and when you look back through this thread, I find it weird how so few people took these issues into account when judging him. Even now we're only a few months into his second full season and there are posters calling him utterly shite etc

When Ole took over United, there was talk of needing a complete overhaul. Again, on this very forum. The squad now is superior to what Ole inherited. Ole is under achieving this season no doubt, but can we say that in terms of league and even some of the cups last few years?
Whereas Arsenal have completely under achieved since Arteta has been there. All this talk about progress for his Arsenal and rejuvinating the squad is exactly what Ole has done.

I know it wasnt you, but the whole hes 100x better than Ole is nonsense in this thread too.
As I posted above, people massively overestimated the side he took over, I mean if you look at their recent run not a single player from his back 5 was here when he took over.

Ole did have to overhaul the squad, but even with that caveat it was superior to the Arsenal one, if you asked people on here at the time I'm sure 99% would vote in favour of the United side. Add on to that being given 200m to spend in his first summer and it's a completely different job in terms of rebuilding a side.

I agree that there's no merit to that last sentence, but I think the notion that the jobs Arteta and Ole took on were comparable is definitely untrue imo, and as posted above I argued that at the time. It's why posts like these

Giving him more time won't change anything. He's in his third season. How it is now is how it is going to be. A few good wins and the odd great game will interchange with a few disappointing draws or defeats. His Arsenal are sometimes quite good, often poor, but never consistently great. And that's not what I think, that's the reality of what's been happening.
Why would he turn into a better manager than he has shown to be, if he's given more time? He won't. This is it.

And what criteria would a club use to upgrade on him... what a bizarre question when we're talking about Arteta. How about hiring someone with a good record, instead of someone with no record at all?
Simply ignore all context of the side that he took over. And now that he's been given money this summer and the club is looking more consistent as we go a couple months into his second full season it just feels that a lot of these evaluations were either unaware of the difficulties of the job or just dismissed them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

I am happy to give Arteta more time to implement his idea. EPL is a tough league with so many world class managers now. A top 6 finish this season is a very good achievement for this squad with so many young players.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Look comparing Arteta to OGS is a waste of time - Arteta will still be manager in 3 months time, OGS won’t be. But funny how you Mancs badmouth us now you are forced to see us rivals given your less than impressive form and table position.
With your crop of talented players, you should do better , the reason you don’t is because they don’t believe in OGS

As for Arsenal, we are building back better around a young team policy - there will be stumbles in the road but at least we fans believe in it - tell me, Mancs what do you believe in?
You better hope our manager is in charge come the time we play you because if we get someone competent in, Arsenal will be primed for tour de force of what this squad is really capable of and it's been a long time coming.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I am happy to give Arteta more time to implement his idea. EPL is a tough league with so many world class managers now. A top 6 finish this season is a very good achievement for this squad with so many young players.
What idea?
He's finished 8th twice. Are you really confident of a top 6 finish?

And now imagine if someone had told you that a top 6 finish would be a good achievment, given the low spending and young squad, when Wenger was still manager.
You don't even realize how fateful it is, how the whole Arteta mirage has lowered your expectations and self-regard.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
I keep seeing it mentioned that they're unbeaten for a while now so I looked at their results and who they've played. Their unbeaten run has come against:

Norwich 1-0
Burnley 1-0
Wimbledon 3-0
Spurs 3-1
Brighton 0-0
Palace 2-2
Villa 3-1
Leeds 2-0
Leicester 2-0
Watford 1-0

You can only beat what's in front of you but that's not a bad set of fixtures. They play us next at Anfield so maybe that'll be a better indicator in terms of how they're actually doing.
United lost to Villa and Leicester.

I don't see the game against Liverpool away as an indicator, same with City. I expect us to get thumped given the huge gap in quality at the moment. The important thing is be consistent as we have against the weaker teams and win against the teams that are challenging for top 6 (e.g., Leicester, Tottenham).

Reactions: Cheimoon

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

I don't see the game against Liverpool away as an indicator, same with City. I expect us to get thumped given the huge gap in quality at the moment. The important thing is be consistent as we have against the weaker teams and win against the teams that are challenging for top 6 (e.g., Leicester, Tottenham).
Yeah but both Leicester and Villa have had poor seasons and look below par currently.

I mean if Brighton can roll up and outplay us then you'll have a shot as well. I think you're probably right about the result but yeah fair point overall. As long as you're seeing progression then that's the main thing. Right now fourth looks like it's wide open.

Fridge chutney

Look comparing Arteta to OGS is a waste of time - Arteta will still be manager in 3 months time, OGS won’t be.
What point do you think you're proving here? Ole has been in charge 1 year longer.
there will be stumbles in the road but at least we fans believe in it - tell me, Mancs what do you believe in?
This is pretty funny/ironic (if not downright wrong) given that at the start of the season, a sizeable chunk of the Arsenal fanbase wanted Arteta gone.

If anything, the one thing United supporters almost unanimously believe in is the need to get rid of Ole and bring in a modern and progressive manager.

Tyrion

I don't really see you as rivals. I think Spurs with Conte have a better chance of beating us to top 4.

I just don't think Arteta is any different from Lampard or Ole. It's just that Ole does a bad Fergie impression while Arteta does a bad impression of Pep.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic

Whichever way you look at it, Arteta is easily and by far a better manager than Ole despite Ole being in the job a full 12 months longer and having spent a lot more. The only thing saving Ole is that he is a United legend, but as a manager he is totally clueless. Results don't lie.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I don't really see you as rivals. I think Spurs with Conte have a better chance of beating us to top 4.

I just don't think Arteta is any different from Lampard or Ole. It's just that Ole does a bad Fergie impression while Arteta does a bad impression of Pep.
That's more of an emotional outburst rather than a rational argument. The facts don't support you at all.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Their goal difference is zero, and West Ham have scored 10 more goals than them. You made me follow this thread and laugh at you at end of the season when Arsenal finish around 8th position.
Well I am glad you didn't go into hiding. Arteta has and currently doing a good job, despite the talent at his disposals. He already won a fa cup and has been quietly beneath the surface developing an identity with this Arsenal side that not many can understand or see. This is where i step in, to open people eyes towards what he is building, which is similiar to what he learned from guardiola and Pochettino, which is a high-energy possession football defined by perfect positional play. Arteta is still a young manager, but he learned from the best which was why I understood him more than some poster on here.

gajender

Well I am glad you didn't go into hiding. Arteta has and currently doing a good job, despite the talent at his disposals. He already won a fa cup and has been quietly beneath the surface developing an identity with this Arsenal side that not many can understand or see. This is where i step in, to open people eyes towards what he is building, which is similiar to what he learned from guardiola and Pochettino, which is a high-energy possession football defined by perfect positional play. Arteta is still a young manager, but he learned from the best which was why I understood him more than some poster on here.
You seem to have clear convictions in your beliefs which is laudable but care to predict what future holds for Arsenal under Arteta what would be their final position this season .

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You seem to have clear convictions in your beliefs which is laudable but care to predict what future holds for Arsenal under Arteta what would be their final position this season .
I believe Arteta can bring them stability in terms of europa league football. Unless, they get significant backing, I can't see them breaking into the top four, unless one of the big four has a bad season. With the squad they have they should be targeting europa league this season, but it will be difficult with Conte at Spurs, Moyes doing well at West Ham, Rodgers at leceister and the amazing squad we have at United. Arteta can see this season a success if they finish in a europa league spot.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I believe Arsenal won't be challenging for league title anytime soon.

He will be competing for 5-6th position and will be lauded as savior while ManUtd fans want to sack the manager(rightly so) who finished in CL places for 2 consecutive seasons.

Different standards and expectations at different clubs.

Redfrog

Whichever way you look at it, Arteta is easily and by far a better manager than Ole despite Ole being in the job a full 12 months longer and having spent a lot more. The only thing saving Ole is that he is a United legend, but as a manager he is totally clueless. Results don't lie.
The way I look at it, the so called better manager finished 8th two times in the row, while the other one third and second.

Keep the good work ! Hope Arteta stay much longer then Ole.
I want Ole gone. I just hope you keep Arteta forever : this 8th spot in the league seems nice and cosy to you. But I know you have big ambitions : finish 6th in the league, that would be am amazing achievement !

Fluctuation0161

Stealing slogans for Arsenal now? :lol:

Jackal981

This. You can only beat what is infront of you. Fergie never won the league by beating big teams, we won by smashing these weaker teams. Bet you if someone tries to calculate Top 6 table in Fergie era he wont be nowhere at the top. United now is getting smashed by weaker and stronger teams. They come to us knowing they can get points off us. This never happened in Fergie era. Teams already felt they lost the game subsconciously before facing us (or what you may call as fear factor)

roonster09

Scout
This. You can only beat what is infront of you. Fergie never won the league by beating big teams, we won by smashing these weaker teams. Bet you if someone tries to calculate Top 6 table in Fergie era he wont be nowhere at the top. United now is getting smashed by weaker and stronger teams. They come to us knowing they can get points off us. This never happened in Fergie era. Teams already felt they lost the game subsconciously before facing us (or what you may call as fear factor)
There was no top 6 during Fergie era and no we didn't win by smashing just weaker teams. We did well against strong teams too.

Jackal981

There was no top 6 during Fergie era and no we didn't win by smashing just weaker teams. We did well against strong teams too.
Sorry had to disagree. I remember that every game to the Bridge and Anfield, Emptihad esp in his later years is an automatic loss for us or a smash and grab draw/win.

Fridge chutney

Sorry had to disagree. I remember that every game to the Bridge and Anfield, Emptihad esp in his later years is an automatic loss for us or a smash and grab draw/win.
This is so wrong. In SAF's final season we won away at Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Can't be bothered to look further because your point is immediately rendered null and void at the first hurdle.

roonster09

Scout
Didn't we play them at home?

2007-08
Chelsea - Won 1, lost 1
Arsenal - Won 1, Drew - 1
Liverpool - Won 2

4 wins - 1 loss - 1 draw

2008-09
Liverpool - Lost 2
Chelsea - Won 1, Drew - 1
Arsenal - Drew 1, lost 1. Arsenal at home, we just needed a point to confirm championship.

2009-10
Chelsea - Lost 2
Arsenal - Won 2
Spurs - Won 2
City - Won 2
Liverpool - Won 1, lost 1

2010-11
Chelsea - Won 1, lost 1
City - Won 1, Drew 1
Arsenal - Won 1, lost 1
Spurs - Won 1, drew 1
Liverpool - Won 1, lost 1

2011-12
City - Lost 2
Arsenal - Won 2
Spurs - Won 2
Chelsea - Won 1, Drew - 1
Liverpool - Won 1, drew -1

2012-13
City - Won 1, lost 1
Chelsea - Won 1, lost 1
Arsenal - Won 1, drew 1
Spurs - lost 1, drew 1
Liverpool - Won 2

We had good record against strong teams and weak teams, that's why we won leagues or so close to winning all seasons.

roonster09

Scout
This is so wrong. In SAF's final season we won away at Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Can't be bothered to look further because your point is immediately rendered null and void at the first hurdle.
Exactly. This rewriting of history is hilarious. He even smashed strong teams.

roonster09

Scout
Arteta's 2 full season, he has spent 226 million in that time. Only Chelsea and City have spent more as per transfermarkt.

Arteta is doing good job because expectations on him was very low.

432JuanMata

Exactly. This rewriting of history is hilarious. He even smashed strong teams.
His point was a bit over the top but he is right about the small teams. Remember under Moyes and LVG most teams where winning at OT for the first time in years. SAF bullied the bottom 10

roonster09

Scout
His point was a bit over the top but he is right about the small teams. Remember under Moyes and LVG most teams where winning at OT for the first time in years. SAF bullied the bottom 10
We won against all teams, so his point is not right especially when he is making it look like we only won league because of beating shit teams.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Tottenham were at an all time low when you played them. They even managed to lose to us. Your one and only creditable result in that run was beating Leicester, who kicked your arse for the vast majority of that game.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Tottenham were at an all time low when you played them. They even managed to lose to us. Your one and only creditable result in that run was beating Leicester, who kicked your arse for the vast majority of that game.
They didn’t, the first half Arsenal were definitely the better side and deserved their lead. Second half they went very pragmatic and decided to defend for dear life, a risky strategy but it paid off.

They’re not really a side capable of dominating for the full 90, it’s still a young side with a lot of their key players being young, so they naturally ebb and flow through the game. Aubameyang doesn’t help in this regard either. It’s something they’re going to have to improve on going forward.

JoaquinJoaquin

Arteta is a better manager than Ole, but still arguably not very good either. Shows the standards the 2 clubs have dropped to.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They didn’t, the first half Arsenal were definitely the better side and deserved their lead. Second half they went very pragmatic and decided to defend for dear life, a risky strategy but it paid off.

They’re not really a side capable of dominating for the full 90, it’s still a young side with a lot of their key players being young, so they naturally ebb and flow through the game. Aubameyang doesn’t help in this regard either. It’s something they’re going to have to improve on going forward.
The “we’re a young side” excuse grinds my gears. As though they deserve extra points for picking younger players. Top squads have a blend of youth and expertise and with Arsenal’s spending they should have a top squad.

Fairly sure United, under Ole, had one of the youngest (maybe the youngest?) average age in the league. And here we are…

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Your board and Mikel have played a blinder here.

Now the "he inherited a mess" excuse is voided (given he's either signed it extended most if not all of your squad) Arteta/the board has suddenly decided on a 'youth project' to shield him from critism for a good 2/3 season's.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The “we’re a young side” excuse grinds my gears. As though they deserve extra points for picking younger players. Top squads have a blend of youth and expertise and with Arsenal’s spending they should have a top squad.

Fairly sure United, under Ole, had one of the youngest (maybe the youngest?) average age in the league. And here we are…
You're reading something that isn't there, no one is saying they deserve extra points, just that when you have a bunch of new and young players you're not always going to dominate over the entirety of the game. I mean you're aware of this

That’s part of the frustration though. We do have a young squad so can expect inconsistency but of the players that are at an age where they should be reliable, only Luke Shaw seems to be able to avoid going from 8/10 to 4/10 in the space of a few days. That’s bound to wind people up and wonder what the feck is wrong with this team.
I don't get what the bolded has to do with anything?

Your board and Mikel have played a blinder here.

Now the "he inherited a mess" excuse is voided (given he's either signed it extended most if not all of your squad) Arteta/the board has suddenly decided on a 'youth project' to shield him from critism for a good 2/3 season's.
He signed a bunch of young players this summer after spending big and they're doing well. He inherited a poor squad and he's overhauled it, and this season is where he'll be judged.

Moby

Dick
Ramsdale made a couple of crazy saves in the first half as well, Leicester definitely came very close to scoring and would have scored if not for the keeper pulling off those saves.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Ramsdale made a couple of crazy saves in the first half as well, Leicester definitely came very close to scoring and would have scored if not for the keeper pulling off those saves.
That's why they bought him right? It's like people talking about Ronaldo's goals and United, you buy a striker to score goals and a keeper to stop goals.
On the balance of things Arsenal were the better side in the first half.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That's why they bought him right? It's like people talking about Ronaldo's goals and United, you buy a striker to score goals and a keeper to stop goals.
When we fail to create enough chances for Ronaldo then it’s a problem. We’re obviously not playing well as a team. Likewise teams who fail to stop the opposition creating good chances.

Moby

Dick
Yeah but the point is about their defense getting opened up with ease. There's always a lot of gap between their defense and midfield lines which they exploited. Arsenal did well in attack but were poor at the back.