Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Honestly i wouldn't consider sneaking a 4th place "great", considering all the time and investment the club has put into Arteta, and how the other contenders for 4th place blew it as well.

Also, Arsenal has barely played any other competition for how long now? It would be an "okay" achievment, not a "great" one.
The best bit is that he’s saying it would be a great achievement considering how badly they’ve done in the last few years. Obviously not “great” when you compared it to the many years when they had any manager other than Arteta. “Average” would be a better description.

Loon

:lol:
Beating us is no great shakes, but they were utterly unconvincing stumbling to the result.

The haranguing of the ref on VAR, and geeing up the crowd as the ref was doing it, was massively cnuty though.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If they do make top 4 they will struggle in the league next season when juggling with the CL. They have benefitted from no European competition this season.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The best bit is that he’s saying it would be a great achievement considering how badly they’ve done in the last few years. Obviously not “great” when you compared it to the many years when they had any manager other than Arteta. “Average” would be a better description.
There are other clubs in the league that have far more resources though. I don’t think it’s realistic to look at turn of the century arsenal and compare them to now without also looking at the context. If there are 4 teams in the league that can each spend £100m (very rough estimate here) a year more on wages then breaking into that top four is a real achievement. I’d be very surprised if they can go further than that though, it’s a big ask.

Hoof the ball

Yes, without pawson today they would’ve conceded defeat by 4-1 or 5-2 something.

But I’m good if these wins keeps him at arsenal for another year. They’re lucky but they don’t know.
Without Pawson, we'd also have played 1/3 of the game with ten men.

Can't point out Pawson's shortcomings that benefitted them without mentioning the shortcomings which benefitted us.

el3mel

Last time Arsenal finished 4th was in 2016. Their legendary manager, Wenger, finished 5th and 6th in his last 2 seasons with the club. Emery finished 5th. Both of them had far better team than the current Arsenal squad.

This squad is mostly young and promising players and there's not any big name player in there any more. Their forward line today had an average age of 21-22. The oldest in 23. Their 2 CBs are 24. There's no Ozil, Sanchez or Auba whom the previous managers enjoyed having in the forward line in their prime.

Their lineup today :

https://www9.0zz0.com/2022/04/23/17/661387999.jpg

This squad is about to finish 4th for the first time in 6 years. It's a great achievement for the club and a step in the right direction.

Meanwhile we have Sancho, Ronaldo, Bruno, Matic, Varane, De Gea starting for us today and we're about to finish 6th.

Pogue Mahone

There are other clubs in the league that have far more resources though. I don’t think it’s realistic to look at turn of the century arsenal and compare them to now without also looking at the context. If there are 4 teams in the league that can each spend £100m (very rough estimate here) a year more on wages then breaking into that top four is a real achievement. I’d be very surprised if they can go further than that though, it’s a big ask.
The context is them investing more money in the squad than than all of those clubs (apart from City and United) going back several years.

Jacko21

Arteta always seems like he's only ever one step away from running onto the pitch to stop an opponent's counter attack.

I can't abide the guy. He's so needlessly intense, devoid of any kind of personality and seems to revel in being snide.

Last edited:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Actually, make that “going back ten years”
Does going back ten years make your point more or less pertinent? I’d assume that would include an absolute ton of players not at the club, not signed by Arteta. He can only be responsible for what he did with what he inherited

Verward

I'd be very surprised if Arteta ever become a successful manager. And by successful I mean challenging for titles.
I don't care if he gets regular 4th position as long as it's not at expense of us. This season is a write off now so Arsenal fans can enjoy. But remember we were 2nd last season and we're expecting to challenge for title this year. Same is going to happen to these Arsenal fans.
Well, only time will tell.

Pogue Mahone

Does going back ten years make your point more or less pertinent? I’d assume that would include an absolute ton of players not at the club, not signed by Arteta. He can only be responsible for what he did with what he inherited
They’ve definitely spent a lot more in the second half of that decade than they did in the first.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's their Ole, they've spent an awful lot of money to be still in the current state they are. Longer he's there, the better.

This Arsenal team would be embarrassed in Champions League, but it means they stick with Arteta for longer so all good!

Polar

Arsenal has the lowest budget among the top-6 teams and has the youngest team. Arteta has rebuild slowly; offloaded troublemakers and bought exiting and loyal teamplayers.

Supporters are impatient animals and often accept nothing else than a quick fix. So the fact Arteta received a lot critique before things started to settle wasn’t a surprise.

Today Arteta’s standing is very good both among players and supporters. It seems like he has build great team spirit and atmosphere around the team.

It’s unfair to define success for Arsenal the same way as for United, Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Clubs like Spurs and Arsenal should be fighting for top-4 and be happy if they make it. Anything else is a bonus.

Arteta is doing a great job. If Arsenal (with their budget and young squad) make top-4 this year, I think it proves Arteta is up there with the best managers in the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal has the lowest budget among the top-6 teams and has the youngest team.
Deja vu!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...feb/24/arsenal-arsene-wenger-champions-league

He's their Ole, they've spent an awful lot of money to be still in the current state they are. Longer he's there, the better.

This Arsenal team would be embarrassed in Champions League, but it means they stick with Arteta for longer so all good!
I think the most worrying thing from their perspective is the drop of standards.

Arteta is getting away with things Emery or even Wenger wouldn't have. I remember Lacazette looking glum after scoring a late home leveller against Southampton under Emery but against Palace this season (another leveller at the same stage of the game) he went mental like it was a title decider.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

They can have 4th and he can be their Ole. I honestly thought they looked tragic today. They just happened to be lucky enough to be playing us. KAAA (keep Arteta at Arsenal).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lego Ole. Everytime he is on the verge of a meltdown he comes back with big wins. He will get them top 4 but it's not because they have been good but others are more shit. But fair play, he has given them what was required of them.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Deja vu!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...feb/24/arsenal-arsene-wenger-champions-league

I think the most worrying thing from their perspective is the drop of standards.

Arteta is getting away with things Emery or even Wenger wouldn't have. I remember Lacazette looking glum after scoring a late home leveller against Southampton under Emery but against Palace this season he went mental like it was a title decider.
Ramsdale was celebrating the penalty miss as if he'd won the CL final. Their standards are through the pits.

I mean we are utterly tragic at the moment, even then we should have won the game today with more competent officiating. Arsenal will be harmless under Arteta.

allen7

Without Pawson, we'd also have played 1/3 of the game with ten men.

Can't point out Pawson's shortcomings that benefitted them without mentioning the shortcomings which benefitted us.
Bruno red card? Yeah the game is pretty much over with bad decisions before that and they gave that decision to us like a consolation.
Honestly we were the better team today and the whole PL referee union is just making sure we don’t win any match again this season. You can argue we lack leaders on the pitch but not that Pawson helped us.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd be very surprised if Arteta ever become a successful manager. And by successful I mean challenging for titles.
I don't care if he gets regular 4th position as long as it's not at expense of us. This season is a write off now so Arsenal fans can enjoy. But remember we were 2nd last season and we're expecting to challenge for title this year. Same is going to happen to these Arsenal fans.
Well, only time will tell.
Arsenal has the lowest budget among the top-6 teams and has the youngest team. Arteta has rebuild slowly; offloaded troublemakers and bought exiting and loyal teamplayers.

Supporters are impatient animals and often accept nothing else than a quick fix. So the fact Arteta received a lot critique before things started to settle wasn’t a surprise.

Today Arteta’s standing is very good both among players and supporters. It seems like he has build great team spirit and atmosphere around the team.

It’s unfair to define success for Arsenal the same way as for United, Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Clubs like Spurs and Arsenal should be fighting for top-4 and be happy if they make it. Anything else is a bonus.

Arteta is doing a great job. If Arsenal (with their budget and young squad) make top-4 this year, I think it proves Arteta is up there with the best managers in the league.
If you look at points collected, compared to where Emery ended up in 18/19, you are likely ending up in the same range at best, just not having the same competition for 4th as then, and thats after an 8th place finish last season and a lot of backing, so don't overstate his impact too much.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They can have 4th and he can be their Ole. I honestly thought they looked tragic today. They just happened to be lucky enough to be playing us. KAAA (keep Arteta at Arsenal).
Tuchel is keeping him in a job the same way Pep did for Ole.

He's made some truly bizarre decisions against Arsenal at home two years on the spin.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ramsdale was celebrating the penalty miss as if he'd won the CL final. Their standards are through the pits.

I mean we are utterly tragic at the moment, even then we should have won the game today with more competent officiating. Arsenal will be harmless under Arteta.
The funniest thing is whenever I point out all the examples of the drop of standards to my Arsenal supporting brother he genuinely replies with a semi essay in defense :lol:

I can't wait to see what he comes up with if Emery wins the UCL (which merely qualifying for will apparently mean Arteta has done a great job).

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
The funniest thing is whenever I point out all the examples of the drop of standards to my Arsenal supporting brother he genuinely replies with a semi essay in defense :lol:

I can't wait to see what he comes up with if Emery wins the UCL (which merely qualifying for will apparently mean Arteta has done a great job).
Emery winning the CL with Villarreal won't mean we were wrong to get rid of him. He seems better suited to managing Spanish clubs.

Or are you suggesting that we'd be in a CL semi if we'd stuck with him?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid

Which reminds me, its not all that different as when Barcelona-supporters defend their managers after(or before) EV, when i point out to them how much better they were result-wise with him.

They invested so much of their energy into hating him, that they can't turn back now, and admit that they were wrong, to one extent or the other.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal is riding their luck on a lot of refereeing decisions.

They’ll finish 7th next season after finishing last in their CL group.

Strats

Heavily dislike him. His antics when Pawson was approaching the VAR screen was were disgraceful

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Emery winning the CL with Villarreal won't mean we were wrong to get rid of him. He seems better suited to managing Spanish clubs.

Or are you suggesting that we'd be in a CL semi if we'd stuck with him?
Probably not, but alternatively if he survived 2 and a half years I'd imagine merely qualifying for the thing would be considered minimum requirement instead of the ultimate goal, especially if he got the same level of investment.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Probably not, but alternatively if he survived 2 and a half years I'd imagine merely qualifying for the thing would be considered minimum requirement instead of the ultimate goal, especially if he got the same level of investment.
That's debatable, I couldn't see any way back for him after our poor run of form in his second season.

And we actually did invest quite a bit of money whilst he was manager. With not much to show for it

C'est Moi Cantona

They spent plently, had no Europe, and have had the mess that is United to compete with, yet they're straining every sinew to get top 4, and could still miss out yet.

I'm surprised at how unlikeable he has become, didn't think he would, and he's not done it on the back of making Arsenal that good either, he's just not convincing, and I don't think many Arsenal fans are by him either, no matter how much they'll kid themselves if he does get them top 4

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Everyone universally agreed too 4 would be a successful season for them. Now we’re bending backwards to shift the goalposts. Just accept I’m always right about everything

Polar

If you look at points collected, compared to where Emery ended up in 18/19, you are likely ending up in the same range at best, just not having the same competition for 4th as then, and thats after an 8th place finish last season and a lot of backing, so don't overstate his impact too much.
Emry is also a very good manager - definitely proven himself in Villarreal. Compared to Emry, Arteta has done more comprehensive or drastic changes in order to build a new team for the future. He has definitely developed several players.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal is riding their luck on a lot of refereeing decisions.

They’ll finish 7th next season after finishing last in their CL group.
Doubt it.

Arsenal have about 10 field players the manager believes in and three of them are injured right now. We'll have 14-15 next year and that will make a real difference.

Juggling the league campaign with European football will be a challenge but the club is planning to invest heavily this summer and most of those 10 players are at an age where you'd expect them to improve.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
We played absolutely awful today against United.

Ironically we moved the ball so much better in our home defeats against Liverpool & City. If we played like that against United today, we could have got a lot more goals.

Beating Chelsea & United is well done to Arteta but I'm not going to forget the fact that he lost 3 on the bounce before that. He simply is not up to the job, he cannot get the team playing in a reliable, consistent way.

Like I've said many times before, EVEN if we get top 4, he is simply too out of his depth to continue with us. His ideas are simply not materializing after 3 years of development with unprecedented financial backing.

Everything you said today about Arteta is spot on.

Even WENGER, let alone Emery, never received the kind of backing Arteta did. It's just astonishing how the bar has been lowered for Arteta while at the same time the backing from the board has only increased.

The Board was utterly ruthless to Emery. He deserved more time and money, we absolutely would have improved dramatically under his guidance if he received the kind of backing Arteta did.

Every single Arsenal fan who is honest could see what Emery was trying to do in terms of playing style. He finished 1 point off 4th place in a season where which we wrote off early. He battered all the teams in the Europa League and only lost to Chelsea in the final. That was just his 1st season. And his style of play was extremely fluid. I loved watching it.

Only reason why I eventually didn't mind him leaving was because I naively thought ALLEGRI was being lined up as a replacement.

The Board have been hypnotized by Arteta's FA Cup win in his first season. If that's the case why not just keep Wenger? He gave us bucket loads of FA Cups! It's just messed up.

They were right to get rid of Wenger but the decisions after that have been calamitous.

Last edited: