Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
You don't see a difference in something that happened years ago when the player had nothing to do with the club, which has already gone through extensive legal proceedings, and something that happened this summer while your player was on holidays, and he's just strolled back into the team as if nothing has happened, because your backups are crap?
If a rape allegation is substantiated, then no, I don’t see a difference between whether the incident in question took place while the player was contracted to the club or not. United have a player with active legal proceedings due to a rape allegation as the face of the club. The lawsuit was filed last season and is currently being appealed.

My intention was to clarify the likely reason for Donaldo’s post and explain the legal reasons why clubs rarely suspend players accused of serious crimes.

This fact makes me uncomfortable. Arsenal’s current situation makes me uncomfortable. You keep stating that I’m happy about the situation as long as Arsenal are winning. That is not something I’ve said, nor is it something I believe. Quite the opposite, in fact. You know nothing about me, nor things my friends and family have experienced that affect my feelings on the matter.

Personally, this is not the type of subject that I would use to try and score points in a discussion with a stranger over the internet.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Nah, we missed out on top 4 and couldn't score a goal to save our lives because Laca's form went in the toilet, meanwhile Auba went on to score a lot of goals for Barcelona. Quite possible that we would have finished in the top 4 if he had stayed.

He nailed nothing.
Nah, getting rid was absolutely the right choice. Not replacing him with a short deal/loan option player you could argue as a mistake, but keeping Aubameyang would have been a terrible decision.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, getting rid was absolutely the right choice. Not replacing him with a short deal/loan option player you could argue as a mistake, but keeping Aubameyang would have been a terrible decision.
In an ideal world, we would kept Auba onside until the end of the season. Emery was able to reintegrate Xhaka into the team after stripping him of the captaincy. I think that showed his good man management skills. However, Xhaka is also a real team player. So maybe Auba made it impossible. Or Arteta did. Or combination of the two. But it cost us top 4.

JSArsenal

In an ideal world, we would kept Auba onside until the end of the season. Emery was able to reintegrate Xhaka into the team after stripping him of the captaincy. I think that showed his good man management skills. However, Xhaka is also a real team player. So maybe Auba made it impossible. Or Arteta did. Or combination of the two. But it cost us top 4.
My thoughts exactly. Arteta dug an arbitrary line in the sand and it cost the entire team. He plays favourites, Willian went to Abu Dhabi unauthorised or came back late and nothing was said/done.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Xhaka is a headcase but I've never thought he lacked effort or commitment when watching you (a brain every now and then, but never dedication), whereas Aubameyang in that last half season was putting in an abject level of effort, not scoring and stylistically a misfit. That's not to say a manager with better man management couldn't have got the old Aubameyang back and firing, but in a binary choice of get rid or don't from Arteta's perspective, there was only one decision imo

I wouldn't say it cost you top 4 either. There's a bunch of reasons. Arsenal were at 7th when Aubameyang was dropped, had he stayed there's as good a chance you would have stayed at 7th as there is having got top 4.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Need to agree with @Cascarino, I'm not sure losing Auba cost is top 4. You forget how poor he was playing first half of the season, I'm not sure keeping him in the same circumstances his form just flips.

I also don't see how Auba stops collapses at Palace, Spurs and Newcastle. You might have a debate about the defeats against Brighton & Southampton, but I don't know how you can quantify that.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, we missed out on top 4 and couldn't score a goal to save our lives because Laca's form went in the toilet, meanwhile Auba went on to score a lot of goals for Barcelona. Quite possible that we would have finished in the top 4 if he had stayed.

He nailed nothing.
Nah. Since Auba got his big fat contract he had been terrible for Arsenal. It was a right decision to kick him out in January. He scored 4 goals only in the league between August to Dec last season anyway. He was no longer motivated.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
You don't see a difference in something that happened years ago when the player had nothing to do with the club, which has already gone through extensive legal proceedings, and something that happened this summer while your player was on holidays, and he's just strolled back into the team as if nothing has happened, because your backups are crap?
Or because in British law a man is innocent until proven guilty. How would you feel if someone accused of you falsely of rape and your career was cancelled because of it? Now I'm not saying he didn't do anything but he's not charged with anything as of now. The person that did accuse him was also in a relationship with him where she was also having consensual sex with him and was angry at him cheating on her. It looked like a nuanced case

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Or because in British law a man is innocent until proven guilty. How would you feel if someone accused of you falsely of rape and your career was cancelled because of it? Now I'm not saying he didn't do anything but he's not charged with anything as of now. The person that did accuse him was also in a relationship with him where she was also having consensual sex with him and was angry at him cheating on her. It looked like a nuanced case
People enjoy the AMBER HEARD VS JONNY DEPP trial. People don't mind what happened to Jonny Depp's career.

Conor

If a rape allegation is substantiated, then no, I don’t see a difference between whether the incident in question took place while the player was contracted to the club or not. United have a player with active legal proceedings due to a rape allegation as the face of the club. The lawsuit was filed last season and is currently being appealed.

My intention was to clarify the likely reason for Donaldo’s post and explain the legal reasons why clubs rarely suspend players accused of serious crimes.

This fact makes me uncomfortable. Arsenal’s current situation makes me uncomfortable. You keep stating that I’m happy about the situation as long as Arsenal are winning. That is not something I’ve said, nor is it something I believe. Quite the opposite, in fact. You know nothing about me, nor things my friends and family have experienced that affect my feelings on the matter.

Personally, this is not the type of subject that I would use to try and score points in a discussion with a stranger over the internet.
I believe Ronaldo's case has been dismissed? I actually didn't want to sign him and don't want him to be at the club because of it anyway. Doesn't mean it's fine for Arsenal to turn a blind eye to the situation with Partey.

I think if an employee of a company has multiple rape accusations levelled at them, they should probably be sidelined while things are clarified, at the very least.

Flexdegea

It's such a weird one as I've heard few arsenal supporters in real life claim the same thing.

So in their eyes it's all good and clean, she making it up as they need him on the pitch basically so that's the important part.

I'm amazed he still playing considering the length of accusation she fired out online. It will rear it's heads again this season. Will more and likely throw a spanner into your season.

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
Mikel needs 2-3 more players to complete the squad. Rafinha seems to be a big miss considering that Pepe is close to joining Nice. Also it's a known fact that we need a proper backup/replacement of Thomas Partey. Sambi and El nenny looks a step down at the moment. Good to see Arteta and Edu niche picking the players rather than just filling the squad numbers.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I believe Ronaldo's case has been dismissed? I actually didn't want to sign him and don't want him to be at the club because of it anyway. Doesn't mean it's fine for Arsenal to turn a blind eye to the situation with Partey.
Feel free to quote where I’ve said that. You’ll struggle though, because I haven’t. In fact, I’ve repeatedly said the opposite.

This isn’t really a subject I want to discuss in bad faith. I’m usually more than up for a bit if back and forth, but I feel this matter is too serious for straw man arguments.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
It's such a weird one as I've heard few arsenal supporters in real life claim the same thing.

So in their eyes it's all good and clean, she making it up as they need him on the pitch basically so that's the important part.

I'm amazed he still playing considering the length of accusation she fired out online. It will rear it's heads again this season. Will more and likely throw a spanner into your season.
Why would it though when the case was dropped by the MET? He literally doesn't have a case to answer. It's not like evidence becomes stronger as time passes after an event.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Arteta is shit, Arsenal are shit. They will win nothing. Might scrape top 4 this year though.

cyberman

Why would it though when the case was dropped by the MET? He literally doesn't have a case to answer. It's not like evidence becomes stronger as time passes after an event.
It’s the way it was dropped. He seems to have gotten off on a technicality from 1 accusation in 3 because of a change of law in the meantime

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Congratulations on Arsenal winning the league.

Oh there’s another 33 league games? Then why are all the Arsenal fans creaming themselves?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Arteta is shit, Arsenal are shit. They will win nothing. Might scrape top 4 this year though.
Young hungry squad, playing some great football and solid defensively. They look by far the best team in the league so far. You can say easy opponents but other big teams have struggled against said easy opponents. He’s lowered the wage bill all the whilst doing this. Credit where it’s due to Arteta.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Congratulations on Arsenal winning the league.

Oh there’s another 33 league games? Then why are all the Arsenal fans creaming themselves?
Not sure anyone is thinking we are winning the league, or getting anywhere near doing so.

We are happy because we are winning and the team are performing well. Like most fans. And we are disappointed / angry when we don't. Again, like most fans.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Young hungry squad, playing some great football and solid defensively. They look by far the best team in the league so far. You can say easy opponents but other big teams have struggled against said easy opponents. He’s lowered the wage bill all the whilst doing this. Credit where it’s due to Arteta.
3 games. Liverpool are down near the relegation zone at this point, let's extrapolate that out over the season shall we? Also City are way better than Arsenal, they will demolish them.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The celebration police are out in force. How dare fans of a club be happy when said club is winning all their matches? Insanity.

sugar_kane

The absolute desperation in the UK media to praise Arteta's revolution at Arsenal is hilarious, it's been there since he came to the job and persisted even when they were absolutely shite.

They've had a good start but so have they countless times and seen their season go to shit, it's just funny how it's manifested in feverish praise on almost every outlet. Suspect it's just the work of a lot of London-based secret Arsenal fans.

Trex

The celebration police are out in force. How dare fans of a club be happy when said club is winning all their matches? Insanity.
Nothing wrong about celebrating, its just celebrating being ahead in a marathon after 200 meters, its good to have a good start but its still a long way to go.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
It’s the way it was dropped. He seems to have gotten off on a technicality from 1 accusation in 3 because of a change of law in the meantime
What technicality? If it’s the one where UK police can’t touch him, surely Spanish police can seeing as the alleged incident happened there? Why haven’t they done anything, if it is indeed outside of the UK’s jurisdiction?
Or can you Brits really commit a crime in Spain, run back home and be exempt from any consequences because of this technicality?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Nothing wrong about celebrating, its just celebrating being ahead in a marathon after 200 meters, its good to have a good start but its still a long way to go.
Yeah but the whole "oh arsenal fans think they can be champions because they beat 3 mid-table teams" is a bit of a strawman. Sure you'll find the odd overly optimistic fan, but just read this thread, no arsenal fans are making such claims. We're just happy because last season after 3 matches we were being mercilessly mocked and this year we're top of the table.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
The absolute desperation in the UK media to praise Arteta's revolution at Arsenal is hilarious, it's been there since he came to the job and persisted even when they were absolutely shite.

They've had a good start but so have they countless times and seen their season go to shit, it's just funny how it's manifested in feverish praise on almost every outlet. Suspect it's just the work of a lot of London-based secret Arsenal fans.
Almost up there with the desperation of people who refuse to give him any credit.

Trex

Yeah but the whole "oh arsenal fans think they can be champions because they beat 3 mid-table teams" is a bit of a strawman. Sure you'll find the odd overly optimistic fan, but just read this thread, no arsenal fans are making such claims. We're just happy because last season after 3 matches we were being mercilessly mocked and this year we're top of the table.
Nothing wrong in being happy your team is doing well.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
@GoonerBear and the rest of the you have been pretty level headed to be fair. Arteta and the back room staff have done a great job in overhauling the squad and there’s plenty of room for optimism, at least in the sense of posters on here they’ve been very grounded and have dealt with the posts every summer about Arteta being a fraud and the inevitable meltdown that would come. Big season for them

It’s shaping up to be a really interesting season when it comes to the top 4. ETH has only just arrived and hasn’t had time to build a team, but he showed yesterday that he’s someone who can impose his style quickly and isn’t afraid to make big calls. I don’t think they’ll get top 4 this season, but he’s a very talented manager and a couple more signings and they’re going to be a very interesting team this season. Really looking forward to watching him and United over the next few years.

Chelsea are spending big and adding to an already talented squad, Tuchel is a great manager and while I think the squad is a little unbalanced in areas, if they get their remaining transfer targets they’ll look very strong.

Tottenham have done some really good work this window and in January, and having a duo like Kane and Son is such a boon. Conte is also a great manager and while he’s not been there long he knows the league and he’s had a big hand in who they’ve bought in, he’s integrated them well too. I think they’ll just miss out on top 4 but I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if they get it either.

Liverpool could do with freshening up their midfield, looks far more pedestrian and workmanlike when Thiago is out. They’ll have to integrate Nunez quickly as well, but despite their poor start to the season they’re still a great team with a world class manager.

City are City, Pep is Pep. I think they’ll still need a bit of time to fully adapt to Halaand and he to them, but they’re a very strong side.

The managerial talent at the moment is something special

sugar_kane

Almost up there with the desperation of people who refuse to give him any credit.
He deserves some credit of course but to be held up as a paragon of how to fix a club is ridiculous, since they still haven't achieved anything.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He deserves some credit of course but to be held up as a paragon of how to fix a club is ridiculous, since they still haven't achieved anything.
No I agree, there's still steps to go.

But it's pretty clear there's a big chance from when he came in, to now. And that's in every department. The wage structure, the recruitment, the style of play, the age of the squad, the relationship with the fans, the squad harmony. Everything.

The next step of course is to win trophies and to get into the CL regularly.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal is under FFP watch list due to heavy loss for the past 3 years. Edu will have a hard time to bring in a midfielder and a winger on a tight budget.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What are the other ways to fix a club ?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is a long season. Just enjoy the football and see where it leads at the end. Hopefully the team can win the 4th place trophy. We shall see. There will be lots of up and down as usual.