g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Pep's Suit

I feel a little bit for Arteta, this is the worst Arsenal side I have seen in a long time. You would have to go back a long way to find an Arsenal team worse than the current one. Xhaka, never rated him, Holding, average, Bellerin, avergage, Luiz has an error in him and is prone to lapses. I remember watching a game where Son breezed past him like he was a training cone. Lacazette has been poor, PEA horribly out of form, Pepe never really got going. And on top of this internal problems within the squad between players. What is going on with Ozil? Contracted on big money just sitting on the bench, it is a mess from top to bottom.
Oh come one. He doesn't have to start Bellerin every game, Arteta can choose AMN or Soares. Luiz and Holding... there's still Sokratis, Mustafi, Mari, Chambers and Saliba on who they spent almost 30M. This is on Arteta even if some people dont like it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I want to give him time, I think there is a good manager in him, i think everyone recognises that the squad needs a revamp, he has said he needs 4 or 5 new players to get to where he wants to be so he sees it as well, & the signings this summer where he has had money to spend (Gabriel, Partey) have been good signings. Not everything he has done I agree with, there's certainly been mistakes of that there is no doubt.

I don't want to be a team that chops & changes managers all the time, I think we need a bit of continuity & to let the manager get his own players in. I'd accept a 1 step back for 2 forwards approach as long as he's brave & decisive enough to really change the squad, & not bottle out replacing the likes of Xhaka & co within the team. However, I also appreciate that it's a results driven business & if we don't get results really soon then he likely will have to go.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure if serious. Wolves and Spurs barely broke sweat in the last two Arsenal games. Easy to score against. Easy to defend against. Makes our capitulation (thanks Paul) even more infuriating.
Talking about overall since he's come on. He took scalps off of City, Chelsea, United... They aren't good recently of course.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Oh come one. He doesn't have to start Bellerin every game, Arteta can choose AMN or Soares. Luiz and Holding... there's still Sokratis, Mustafi, Mari, Chambers and Saliba on who they spent almost 30M. This is on Arteta even if some people dont like it.
I dont really rate any of those players, you trade out Luiz and Holding for Sokratis and Mustafi meh. Mari, Chambers? Are they upgrades? I certainly do not rate Bellerin, just wondering if people genuinely think Arsenal have much better on the bench?

Saliba will take time I think, but I look over that Arsenal team and think it is pretty poor.

AshRK

I dont really rate any of those players, you trade out Luiz and Holding for Sokratis and Mustafi meh. Mari, Chambers? Are they upgrades? I certainly do not rate Bellerin, just wondering if people genuinely think Arsenal have much better on the bench?

Saliba will take time I think, but I look over that Arsenal team and think it is pretty poor.
Yes they have an average squad but not 15th in the table awful. Arteta's tactics has completely made Aubameyang look crap. He is someone who has consistently scored 20 plus league goals and this season looks shadow of himself. Surely you have to look at the tactics also here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I feel a little bit for Arteta, this is the worst Arsenal side I have seen in a long time. You would have to go back a long way to find an Arsenal team worse than the current one. Xhaka, never rated him, Holding, average, Bellerin, avergage, Luiz has an error in him and is prone to lapses. I remember watching a game where Son breezed past him like he was a training cone. Lacazette has been poor, PEA horribly out of form, Pepe never really got going. And on top of this internal problems within the squad between players. What is going on with Ozil? Contracted on big money just sitting on the bench, it is a mess from top to bottom.
He's under performing even by Unai Emery's standards, who had largely the same players.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He's under performing even by Unai Emery's standards, who had largely the same players.
This is true, they are certainly not 14th bad, but I dont think that squad is top four material either.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Talking about overall since he's come on. He took scalps off of City, Chelsea, United... They aren't good recently of course.
He took those scalps with the most horrendously negative, backs to the wall, anti-football shit show you are ever likely to see (barring one good performances against City). That was never going to be sustainable and they deserved a lot less points from those game than they got, on balance of play. Results since have been a reversion to the mean.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He took those scalps with the most horrendously negative, backs to the wall, anti-football shit show you are ever likely to see (barring one good performances against City). That was never going to be sustainable and they deserved a lot less points from those game than they got, on balance of play. Results since have been a reversion to the mean.
I agree! My point (being glib of course) is I'm sure that was a welcome change for English football fans from the play nice and leave with nothing football Wenger brought to the table

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It shouldn't, but it really does annoy me a very great deal how he is getting a free ride compared to Ole.
Arteta winning two trophies and being an inexperienced manager is giving some grace with the media. If Brighton beat Southampton, Arsenal are 16th in the table. The heat will come if results don't pick up. You wouldn't be at all surprised if Burnley beat them at Turf Moor next Sunday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree! My point (being glib of course) is I'm sure that was a welcome change for English football fans from the play nice and leave with nothing football Wenger brought to the table
I guess so. I always had a begrudging respect for Wenger-ball though. Even though they ended up bitch-slapping weak teams, while acting as speed bumps for the big boys, in full flow it was a beautiful thing to watch. The way Arsenal play under Arteta is a blight on the game. Awful awful stuff.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta winning two trophies and being an inexperienced manager is giving some grace with the media. If Brighton beat Southampton, Arsenal are 16th in the table. The heat will come if results don't pick up. You wouldn't be at all surprised if Burnley beat them at Turf Moor next Sunday.
It's at The Emirates. Not that that's much of an advantage the past month or so.

InfiniteBoredom

Only for the last few years of his time there though when the big drubbings became frequent due to chronic lack of investments and the youngsters he got in were no longer as good. For the first 6-7 years after the move to the Emirates, Arsenal had us and Chelsea as bogeymen but they were mostly still tight affairs and they were decent in big-ish games both in league and CL (could’ve knocked out Barca in 2011, for instance, if not for RvP red card).

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So what did people see in his tactics and style that made them think he’s a good manager?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Correct me if I'm wrong but Emery had all those players aswell didn't he? When he was sacked he was being derided by majority as one of worst coaches in europe so that's why I really don't get the free pass Arteta is getting from majority of media still.

This was the league table the day after Emery's final league game:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50449170

Above Man. United and Spurs. 1 point off 5th place.

Also probably shows how well OGS did to get top 4 in the end given Man. United were 12 points off Leicester at that stage and that didn't start changing until middle of February.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Throwing in a rookie manager in a shitty Arsenal team with their shitty board and little money to spend. Very low odds he will succeed

Fussball13251

Because they overrate players. They compare their players to Liverpool yet they haven't won shit in years.

Nevermind the forwards. If you were to put one Pool player in that team, say Trent, the difference would be visually clear. They would start winning far more games. And that's just a righttback.

They overrate their team.

I sometimes listen and they overrate the squad. They compare Tierney to Roberson, Trent & stuff like that.

/watch?v=tEbos1zc3Z0

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You're bang on about next week, Burnley have been better their last couple of games so it really wouldn't be a surprise.

Amarsdd

One argument I'm finding weird about utilizing Arsenal's weak squad to defend Arteta. Wasn't everyone and their mothers rating Arsenal to be a shoo-in for top four at the beginning of 2019/20 season? Even most of the caf was in that camp. Now, we're at about a year and a half containing a year with Arteta where he has been the manager during the two succeeding transfer windows after the beginning of 2019/20 season. So, the question is has the squad/individual players gotten worse under Arteta's watch and why isn't he responsible for that squad being in the 15th position? or was their squad just over-hyped for no reason at the beginning of 2019/20 season? And obviously, I'm ignoring the amount of control he may or may not have towards buying and selling players and the contract renewals because I don't know.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
When managers takes over a new team they want to imprint their style and philosophy on the team asap but realistically it can take at least four windows to get the players in that suit their style. They will probably need four windows to get rid of the players that don't fit in as well.
Unless the manager is making a total hash of things I believe clubs are better served to stick with a manager for at least two seasons or don't hire people who have a completely different philosophy from the previous boss.

ariveded

Arteta bandwagon shows the importance of connections, friends in whichever industry.

he didnt deserve 3 years of contract, he got praised for “moral victory” in losses, so it was inevitable he is not good enough...

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
One argument I'm finding weird about utilizing Arsenal's weak squad to defend Arteta. Wasn't everyone and their mothers rating Arsenal to be a shoo-in for top four at the beginning of 2019/20 season? Even most of the caf was in that camp. Now, we're at about a year and a half containing a year with Arteta where he has been the manager during the two succeeding transfer windows after the beginning of 2019/20 season. So, the question is has the squad/individual players gotten worse under Arteta's watch and why isn't he responsible for that squad being in the 15th position? or was their squad just over-hyped for no reason at the beginning of 2019/20 season? And obviously, I'm ignoring the amount of control he may or may not have towards buying and selling players and the contract renewals because I don't know.
Our squad was definitely over-hyped, our new players have been massively under performing (or we paid far too much for them).
Pepe is a flop, I still rate him but he isn't performing at the level we expected at the beginning of 2019/2020 season.
Laca is a flop, he was supposed to replace Giroud and give us another dimension and he's arguably worse than him.
Saliba isn't playing, we spent 20 mill+ on a CB that Arteta doesn't rate enough to play in Europa league.
Mari, Luiz, Willian, Cedric are very expensive squad players that fail to improve our team when they play.
Compare that to Man united : Maguire, AWB, Bruno, Lindelof, Cavani (early days for VdB) all are adding something to your team. You could argue that you overpaid for some of them, but it's night and day compared to our transfers.
I'd say that Arteta inherited a lot of this mess, but he added a few himself (Cedric, Mari, Luiz, Willian) and in my opinion he should take part of the blame for failing to make these players perform at a decent level.

mu4c_20le

Why oh why did he bring Xhaka back.. there was a perfect excuse to rid of him after that booing incident