Mikhi needs to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We were warned about him on here by the regular Bundesliga watchers. For some reason our manager missed what they all seemed to see.

iam_kramer

I think it's really important to highlight that very few of our attackers are performing to standard, Lukaku, Rashford, Henrikh, Mata, Martial: They've all been underwhelming since the last international break really.

Attackers can't gain confidence when they don't attack. They need to have the ball, they need to work the ball in the final third. We don't work the ball around in the final third.

Today Chelsea attacked and Hazard had a good chance but shot straight at De Gea, De Gea lumped it up to Lukaku who couldn't control and Chelsea attacked again this time with Phil Jones intercepting the attack on the edge of our box, Phil Jones lumped it up to Lukaku who couldn't control it and Chelsea attacked after a bit of keep ball they scored.

That clearly doesn't work.

ti vu

I think it's really important to highlight that very few of our attackers are performing to standard, Lukaku, Rashford, Henrikh, Mata, Martial: They've all been underwhelming since the last international break really.

Attackers can't gain confidence when they don't attack. They need to have the ball, they need to work the ball in the final third. We don't work the ball around in the final third.

Today Chelsea attacked and Hazard had a good chance but shot straight at De Gea, De Gea lumped it up to Lukaku who couldn't control and Chelsea attacked again this time with Phil Jones intercepting the attack on the edge of our box, Phil Jones lumped it up to Lukaku who couldn't control it and Chelsea attacked after a bit of keep ball they scored.

That clearly doesn't work.
All true, but you need to understand the context. We ain't expected to win the midfield battle against these teams given Pogba is out and the system we employ made us being outnumbered in midfield. Mkhi's less burdened to track back and do a real midfielder role. He is not not relied to be creative force. He is just the support for the forward so we can match opposition defense number with our runners. Mikhi simply failed. We can't play on the ground via Mkhi. We played long and Mkhi is nowhere close to get the second ball or even present to receive an out pass from our corned forwards.

Lukaku & Rashford ain't performing great given these difficult circumstances, but you can still see they're being themselves in certain situation: Lukaku found space to pull dangerous shot. Rashford lost his mark... Mkhi failed at individual level by not even doing anything right.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
After watching him for a year I'm becoming very puzzled on why we bought him in the first place. Our scouts need to answer some questions. We could have bought Pulisic for less money and he is a better player right now.

There is no way Mou can start him the next match based on his performance today. Lingard, Mata and Martial would be better as the AM.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Puzzling signing. I follow the buli quite a bit and all though he had a good season he was always going to be like kagawa here. Too frail and not good enough to compensate for it.

Sterling Archer

Another bottler! The guy has zero strength for this league.
I've been trying to be fair to him. But my goodness he is so frail. Not even Half the mental fortitude of Mata.

He needs to gain his confidence back...I don't know if that can be with us or not.

Noc-Z

ffs
We need a better creative player instead of Mata and Mkhitaryan. Where has Gomes gone, is he worth trying in some games. Gawd, we also miss Pogba. Ibra back in 6/7 weeks will shake us up. Hope he is back for City on 10th dec.
Ibra will come back and be worse than before when he missed so many sitters.

iam_kramer

All true, but you need to understand the context. We ain't expected to win the midfield battle against these teams given Pogba is out and the system we employ made us being outnumbered in midfield. Mkhi's less burdened to track back and do a real midfielder role. He is not not relied to be creative force. He is just the support for the forward so we can match opposition defense number with our runners. Mikhi simply failed. We can't play on the ground via Mkhi. We played long and Mkhi is nowhere close to get the second ball or even present to receive an out pass from our corned forwards.

Lukaku & Rashford ain't performing great given these difficult circumstances, but you can still see they're being themselves in certain situation: Lukaku found space to pull dangerous shot. Rashford lost his mark... Mkhi failed at individual level by not even doing anything right.
I can't argue that Henrikh hasn't been the worst performer in a few games now, but I'm really not seeing enough from the others, Lukaku and Rashford especially. Lukaku got some praise today from Neville for his attitude, but he did very little bar what you mentioned and a few runs; must also be said the team didn't offer him a chance to do much else. This is also the case for Henrikh, but no he wasn't close to the second balls, we rarely won the first ball anyway. Chelsea did extremely well to recover the ball and we were not a threat at all from the long game.

Henrikh deserves criticism, but he's just another under performing player, and that's something that runs through the whole team, but is easier seen in the attack. The way we set up, and the way the team is playing is not helping anyone in the attack right now which is why whoever plays there, they aren't doing well enough.

ti vu

I can't argue that Henrikh hasn't been the worst performer in a few games now, but I'm really not seeing enough from the others, Lukaku and Rashford especially. Lukaku got some praise today from Neville for his attitude, but he did very little bar what you mentioned and a few runs; must also be said the team didn't offer him a chance to do much else. This is also the case for Henrikh, but no he wasn't close to the second balls, we rarely won the first ball anyway. Chelsea did extremely well to recover the ball and we were not a threat at all from the long game.

Henrikh deserves criticism, but he's just another under performing player, and that's something that runs through the whole team, but is easier seen in the attack. The way we set up, and the way the team is playing is not helping anyone in the attack right now which is why whoever plays there, they aren't doing well enough.
The thing is even in other games where, Lukaku, Rashford, Young... you name it, did well individually in recent games, Mkhi still stood out like a sore thumb. It has been the individual problem in particularly for Mkhi. He's a liability.

The team misses Pogba. There is no denying it. His all round play helps improve every aspect of the team. Our players need to improve to push the team to another higher level, that's for sure, but Pogba's contribution would have us at good level.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i think we have to ask why a player who less the two years ago was the best player in the Bundesliga( league that has players like lewandowski, Robben Muller, Ribery muller...) who was incredibly consistent, and now doesn't even look like a shadow of that player most games and is incredibly inconsistent.

minoo-utd

He needs to go. That's all he needs and we need, weak player, not confident, soft passes, poor decisions, we need a better num 10 a lot better.

Ban

I'm not one to kneejerk but he should leave in summer if he doesn't improve. And I dont think he will improve. And never buy from Dortmund again. :D

ti vu

I'm not one to kneejerk but he should leave in summer if he doesn't improve. And I dont think he will improve. And never buy from Dortmund again. :D
I thought you want Pulisic :confused:

Pscholes18

tbh, ever since we signed him I thought people were overrating his ability. He is a very good player, worthy of playing for our club but if you're gonna expect more I just don't think he has that ability in him.

That's why I am satisfied with his ability.
Guilty

Janson

If he hasn't improved until now, he probably never will. Just not at the level required for us, if we want to be a top team.

Bwuk

Would happily just get rid quietly in January.

I'd rather McTominay than Mkhi ffs. At least he won't hide.

sully1

played with 10 men today. disgraceful performance

not a united player for me

haram

He cannot improve from this. This is him. It's always been him.

ManUArfa

Puzzling signing. I follow the buli quite a bit and all though he had a good season he was always going to be like kagawa here. Too frail and not good enough to compensate for it.
For me a Kagawa type player would have been ideal at #10 today. He used to make sure he had bags of space around him and the ball was always away before anybody got anywhere near him. We needed somebody to link midfield, attack and wing backs today. Mikki didn't do it.

ghagua

Mkhitaryan has been invisible for the last 2 months after a great start to the season. When the season started, there was a lot of movement from the players around him and he was thriving, but now there is less movement and he is having a tough time having any impact on a game. I would be very wary of buying anyone from a team who plays in a system like they do at Dortmund, unless we intend to play in a similar pass and move system.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He appears to simply not be good enough. He crumbles when teams pressure and seems too weak for the premier league.

Reckon we need to replace him soon and with someone with more intensity and energy than Ozil.

Satissh12

Can he be included in a deal to land Griezmann in January? They will have Costa as their primary striker..

Ashley R1+O

He really is in terrible form mentally, but again like I mentioned - he never bulked up after it being blatantly obvious he didn't have the carriage to keep the ball under pressure last season. That would have gone a huge way into making the game a lot easier and alleviating some of these dry spells. He's in a place where he needs to work hard and get back to some level of sharpness. Tough spot, even for the best.

Hamadovich86

Miki is terribly inconsistent, you cant have your most creative player absent for 7 games on the trot. I feared this problem with him last season and while he helped us win the EL he certainly disappeared for long spells in the league just like he is doing now.

BigCaine

Miki is terribly inconsistent, you cant have your most creative player absent for 7 games on the trot. I feared this problem with him last season and while he helped us win the EL he certainly disappeared for long spells in the league just like he is doing now.
If someone has been absent for 7 games on the trot i would call them consistent even though terrible but still consistent, i think we need to stop criticizing the player and criticize the man who has kept picking him for those 7 games.

Hamadovich86

If someone has been absent for 7 games on the trot i would call them consistent even though terrible but still consistent, i think we need to stop criticizing the player and criticize the man who has kept picking him for those 7 games.
Valid point.

shield

The worst thing about him is he is a confidence player. Once things get tough he form wise mentally folds. That is why he is suddenly so weak on the ball. Bulk isn't even the issue. Its entirely mental with him.
Agree. I rewatched few of his matches for us in the previous year and he was quite good under pressure too. Very different from the Mkhi we are seeing here. He was almost (but not quite) Hazard like.

If he had played like that yesterday then him and Matic would have snuffed out all the threat Chelsea offeredwhich was not really that much. All we needed is a few players to hold on to the ball and make some neat passes. We kept getting overrun because Herrera is woeful at moving the ball and Mkhi is in this terrible form of late.

I think we need to bench him not only till when Pogba arrives, but till the point when Pogba has got a run of matches and is playing well. We need to start all over with him and start easing him back into the team. Throwing him into this mess isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.