g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Militant Vegans

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
keep seeing videos of cnuts going to supermarkets and pouring out loads of milk on shelves. They’re so dim and don’t understand that by doing that they’re likely doing more damage as non-vegan products will be used to clean up/if food is wasted an animal has been killed/raped for nothing.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I accidentally stepped on a snail whilst out and it was thoroughly unpleasant. The crunching sound and feel on your soles is absolutely gross. But I'll get over it and forget about it in a few minutes.

It did get me thinking how a militant crazy vegan would react to doing this. Does the guilt of unwittingly killing a defenceless snail eat them up inside? Do they go around thinking about their carelessness for months? Will they ever come to terms with their molluscslaughter? I'd be interested to know.
I've reported you to the vegan council for justice.
It's bad enough that you're a Chelsea fan, but now you're going round dancing on the corpses of innocent snails.

Jericholyte2

I can understand people questioning their actions, but the language of calling them dim or cnuts isn’t exactly called for because, putting it bluntly, they’re right.

The global meat industry is an horrific contributor to greenhouse gasses and we need to move away from it on a mass, global scale as soon as is possible.

Admittedly I’m not there yet but I’m phasing out meat in order to do my part.

Last edited:

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I accidentally stepped on a snail whilst out and it was thoroughly unpleasant. The crunching sound and feel on your soles is absolutely gross. But I'll get over it and forget about it in a few minutes.

It did get me thinking how a militant crazy vegan would react to doing this. Does the guilt of unwittingly killing a defenceless snail eat them up inside? Do they go around thinking about their carelessness for months? Will they ever come to terms with their molluscslaughter? I'd be interested to know.
I do indeed feel bad whenever i step on a snail. I'm not a vegan, though, and my feeling of guilt towards them may stem from the time many years ago, when i used to catch Roman snails and keep them in a little cage in our front yard where i would put paint on their shells so that i'd be able to identify them if one managed to escape and where i would subject them to...interesting experiments. :wenger:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I do indeed feel bad whenever i step on a snail. I'm not a vegan, though, and my feeling of guilt towards them may stem from the time many years ago, when i used to catch Roman snails and keep them in a little cage in our front yard where i would put paint on their shells so that i'd be able to identify them if one managed to escape and where i would subject them to...interesting experiments. :wenger:
The feck?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I can understand people questioning their actions, but the language of calling them dim or cnuts isn’t exactly called for because, putting it bluntly, they’re right.

The global meat industry is an horrific contributor to greenhouse gasses and we need to move away from it on a mass, global scale as soon as is possible.

Admittedly I’m not there yet but I’m phasing out meat in order to do my part.
Well said, calling them dim for spilling some milk is pretty reductive.

Most vegans I've met are pretty chill and the stereotypes of them wanting to lecture everyone is quite often well off the mark. Most of them end up getting baited into it anyway. :lol:

I'm going through a similar journey and will eventually become vegan I think. Really good for the planet.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
keep seeing videos of cnuts going to supermarkets and pouring out loads of milk on shelves. They’re so dim and don’t understand that by doing that they’re likely doing more damage as non-vegan products will be used to clean up/if food is wasted an animal has been killed/raped for nothing.
Not sure that's a normal part of the farming process, but could be wrong.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"this beef tastes like it's been raped"

Yeah yeah I know, no pedo or rape jokes, blah blah blah

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Cows are forcibly impregnated in the dairy process, using an Artificial insemination gun (not really a gun) but it is put into the cow's cervix and semen is injected. It's a quick and painless process, but it is forced impregnation. Whether it can be described as rape or not, I don't know, but there is certainly no consent.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cows are forcibly impregnated in the dairy process, using an Artificial insemination gun (not really a gun) but it is put into the cow's cervix and semen is injected. It's a quick and painless process, but it is forced impregnation. Whether it can be described as rape or not, I don't know, but there is certainly no consent.
Do animals give consent?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Most vegans I've met are pretty chill and the stereotypes of them wanting to lecture everyone is quite often well off the mark. Most of them end up getting baited into it anyway. :lol:

I'm going through a similar journey and will eventually become vegan I think. Really good for the planet.
It's the hardcore vegans that are the worst. feck those guys. They're just like the hardcore religious nuts.

I'd say being a vegan is a positive thing, but there would be a lot of issues and would change the rural landscape significantly if it became the norm. It's an interesting subject to talk about with people that don't just troll each other.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I have a friend who would be described as a militant vegan. I simply ignore her activism and when she wants to call me out and argue with me for my lifestyle choices. She's part of some group in Florida that will go to the streets and other locations to protest. They dress scantily, often in lingerie type wear I presume so they'll be noticed before blowhorning their rhetoric.

I wonder, do hardcore activists have some internal thinking deficiency or reasoning along similar lines as conspiracists? Like a need to be fully right or morally above?

Jericholyte2

I have a friend who would be described as a militant vegan. I simply ignore her activism and when she wants to call me out and argue with me for my lifestyle choices. She's part of some group in Florida that will go to the streets and other locations to protest. They dress scantily, often in lingerie type wear I presume so they'll be noticed before blowhorning their rhetoric.

I wonder, do hardcore activists have some internal thinking deficiency or reasoning along similar lines as conspiracists? Like a need to be fully right or morally above?
Wondering your justification for this view?

Those that protest because of the environmental impact of the industries are right. Those protesting because of the violation and commoditisation of sentient animals, are right.

There’s nothing conspiratorial about it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wondering your justification for this view?

Those that protest because of the environmental impact of the industries are right. Those protesting because of the violation and commoditisation of sentient animals, are right.

There’s nothing conspiratorial about it.
Perhaps I should clarify the question was about hardcore activism in general. What drives a person to go full on activist? I could feel the same way towards something but it does not compel me to join a group and go about yelling at people in the streets and at their job sites.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's the hardcore vegans that are the worst. feck those guys. They're just like the hardcore religious nuts.

I'd say being a vegan is a positive thing, but there would be a lot of issues and would change the rural landscape significantly if it became the norm. It's an interesting subject to talk about with people that don't just troll each other.
Are they the worst though, really?

Yes I think even vegans admit there are challenges if the whole world suddenly went vegan.

Jericholyte2

Perhaps I should clarify the question was about hardcore activism in general. What drives a person to go full on activist? I could feel the same way towards something but it does not compel me to join a group and go about yelling at people in the streets and at their job sites.
That doesn’t necessarily equate to a mental deficiency though - I admire people who are that committed to a cause that has a basis in factual reality.

I wish I was in a situation where I could join them as, for example, with the climate issue I often fall in to a deep depression thinking about the situation, mostly based around a feeling of helplessness about the situation.

These people are simply willing and able to take that extra step and have some agency over a topic they feel strongly about.

NotThatSoph

Maybe they care more than you, maybe they have different beliefs about what sort of actions bring about changes, maybe they have other means than you, maybe they're more affected by the issue than you. Or maybe you're just a superior being while they are mentally deficient.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Exploited maybe feels more accurate a word choice, but I'm one of the many who eat meat, have milk in their tea and buy free range eggs in a nod to being anti-cruelty, but deep down don't really want to know the ins and outs of farming methods.

A kid at school's mum had a pig farm and he said they sometimes had to guide the boar's cock into the sow if he was struggling when they were breeding them.
I guess this stuff is more industrialised now.
The high rise pig farms in China looked unpleasant.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i don't know.
it is a drop in the ocean can(?), i doubt it makes a noticeable difference in the number of cows exploited.

on the other hand, it's probably not an effective protest? maybe it gets more people talking, and people in general don't know about the global warming implications of animal ag, but it doesn't feel like it could changes anyone's mind.

and a final "on the other hand" - it's not like conventional news/propaganda/protest is effective with this either, so maybe they're right to do it!

i don't know if "rape" has meaning outside humans, given natural sexual behaviour.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
In my personal experience, people who complain about vegans are way more annoying than vegans.

ScholesyTheWise

Yes they have a point, this much is obvious. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years, tried to be vegan for like 6 months but it did my head in.
For the past year or so I went back to consuming meat every now and then. Got tired of it all.

I often wonder about these militant vegans as you put it-

If we all turned vegan and had leaves or flowers coming out of our ears,
will they shut the feck up? Or will most of them won't be able to rest for one minute,
and start being militant about some other injustice?

Activists seem like such unhappy people to me...
I guess a part of me envies their sense of purpose, but i'll never want to be in their seats.

I find life to be difficult enough as it as.

M15 Red.

Yes they have a point, this much is obvious. I've been a vegetarian for about 12 years, tried to be vegan for like 6 months but it did my head in.
For the past year or so I went back to consuming meat every now and then. Got tired of it all.

will they shut the feck up? Or will most of them won't be able to rest for one minute,

I guess a part of me envies their sense of purpose, but i'll never want to be in their seats.

Vegans ain't militant enough imo. I for one won't rest until the day people realise that plants feel pain too.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It's genuinely weird to me when people act like activism is a bad thing for people to be doing.

MiceOnMeth

Former dairy farmer. Indeed the cow is "raped" by some dude going elbow deep inside her with a straw to artificially inseminate.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Their purpose seems to come from finding a way to justify being dickheads a lot of the time.

It's much better to try and win people over rather than just pissing everyone off and entrenching views because you've created two sides. But then maybe nothing would ever change.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
In my personal experience, people who complain about vegans are way more annoying than vegans.
Yeah have to agree with this (at least from my real world experiences).

I think it was a common to hear people shit on Vegans around the same time it was cool to talk about Chuck Norris roundhouse kicking the sun and watching "Epic Meal Time" wrap bacon around Big Macs.

I don't really get hating on them nowadays.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I know veggies and vegans and they don't even bring the subject up until menu choice time, and then they're no different to any other people's likes and dislikes.

Jericholyte2

Their purpose seems to come from finding a way to justify being dickheads a lot of the time.

It's much better to try and win people over rather than just pissing everyone off and entrenching views because you've created two sides. But then maybe nothing would ever change.
I imagine it would be fun viewing the suffragettes who got women the vote, or the unions who won the weekend and work time limitations as people who ‘found a way to justify being dickheads a lot of the time.’

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I know veggies and vegans and they don't even bring the subject up until menu choice time, and then they're no different to any other people's likes and dislikes.
Yeah pretty much. I've a few friends who are vegan and of course it comes up when eating together - but they rarely mention it otherwise. That joke about "how can you tell someone is a vegan?..." is still spread as if it's almost a funny fact, but in my experience is a load of shite.

I think a lot of the hate vegans get is from people who know that vegans are right, but they couldn't do it themselves so they dismiss the idea and call them crazy.

M15 Red.

Yeah pretty much. I've a few friends who are vegan and of course it comes up when eating together - but they rarely mention it otherwise. That joke about "how can you tell someone is a vegan?..." is still spread as if it's almost a funny fact, but in my experience is a load of shite.

I think a lot of the hate vegans get is from people who know that vegans are right, but they couldn't do it themselves so they dismiss the idea and call them crazy.

"The thing that’s annoying about there suddenly being lots of them (vegans) is the nagging suspicion that they might be right. When there were hardly any vegans, I hardly ever had to think about that."

Peep show bloke 2018.

NotThatSoph

How can you tell that someone isn't vegan? They'll tell you that tired old joke about how you identify vegans.