Television Mindhunter

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

From Wikipedia:
Mindhunter is an upcoming American dramaweb television series produced by David Fincher and Charlize Theron. It is slated to debut on Netflix on October 13, 2017. It is based on the true crime book Mind Hunter: Inside The FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit written by Mark Olshaker and John E. Douglas, and adapted for Netflix by Joe Penhall. Mindhunter has already been renewed for a second season.
Anybody hear anything about this? Sounds very promising. Fincher's 'Zodiac' is probably my favourite film of the 21st century so I have high hopes for this one.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The trailers didn't excite me at all but because of my serial killer fascination I'll give it a chance.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Comes today on Netflix. The first two episodes are getting very good reviews.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'm in the middle of Mr. Mercedes at present so it'll be a few more days until I get to watch this, but I am excited about the favourable reviews it's getting.

Runner

the dialog in the first episode was so poor it was giving me anxiety. it was like the actors were reading their lines off cue cards. Does it get better?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
the dialog in the first episode was so poor it was giving me anxiety. it was like the actors were reading their lines off cue cards. Does it get better?
Yes, im three episodes in and the first is by far the weakst.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So how do you guys rate it? I am considering starting it today.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Yeah I gave up after half an hour of first episode. That needlessly long scene in the nightclub was terrible.

Then the guy went to university I think (was already losing interest) and I decided to watch Arsenal lose to Watford instead.

Might give it a second chance if it’s true it gets better.

Runner

Yeah I gave up after half an hour of first episode. That needlessly long scene in the nightclub was terrible.

Then the guy went to university I think (was already losing interest) and I decided to watch Arsenal lose to Watford instead.

Might give it a second chance if it’s true it gets better.
Watched 2 more episodes, it gets better when he gets the partner who knows how to act and elevates the main characters acting.
The scenes with his girlfriend are still terrible and he seems to go down on her in every scene they're in together which is weird.
It's alright but improving.

Stringer

Watched the first four episodes and I'm enjoying it so far. Nothing amazing but interesting all the same. I wouldn't judge it by the first episode as that has easily been the weakest so far.

OneUnited24

I have to admit I’m struggling. I liked the first two episodes but not really getting into the third ep.

Dunno why. I usually like this type of genre

Castia

Just watched the first episode it was pretty terrible. I’ll carry on since lots of people say it gets better but there’s little to like so far.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Just watched the first episode it was pretty terrible. I’ll carry on since lots of people say it gets better but there’s little to like so far.
Pilot is terrible. I don't mind slow pacing but pilot just seems like a collection of random sequences. I binged this yesterday, it is very strong from ep3-7. Tailors off a bit in the end with some storylines cliches. Overall still worth a watch IMO

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Binged ep 1-7 yesterday, I really like it. Not a perfect series but very interesting.

Some of the dialogue is crap though, a few of the interchanges between the two detectives and Anna Torv are damn near amateurish.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
4 episodes in and it's enjoyable. Holden's girlfriend and the sex scenes are fecking cringe though. Hope there is less of those and her as the season goes on.

arthurka

One episode left and I really like it.. Apart from the clear flaws like Holdens relationship and the lesbian.. The one thing that bothered me the most
their new partner sending that packet..
It was way to obvious pattern for me..

Last edited:

Borden

The ending scene in the last episode was pretty fecking great though, with
Kemper threatening Ford (actually based on a real incident, after which they never interviewed subjects alone again), BTK and
Led Zeppelin playing in the background. Pilot by far the worst episode, something went really wrong there, and it's somewhat uneven thoughout, but at its best I thought it was excellent and very interesting.

cyberman

I had to switch it off after the bar scene in the first episode.
Hopefully Ill take a notion to watch again but the chat was as cringey as mine when I was on the club prowl early to mid 200s

SparkedIntoLife

It was a mixed bag but certainly watchable. The writing was poor in parts as discussed above but Fincher’s direction and some interesting character arcs made up for it.

The actor playing Edmund Kemper was equally endearing and terrifying. He was fantastic. The other killers were less memorable except for the moment where the guy threw the bird in the fan.

I found the open cases largely unsatisfying. The red neck with the abusive mother was too easily found out and a bit of a cliche. The fiancée, his sister and brother in law storyline was just boring. The tree surgeon peadophile was, again, generic and uninspired.

I don’t share the dislike of the girlfriend Debbie or Dr. Carr. However, they both progressively became weaker as the show progressed. Debbie opened Holden’s mind to wider fields of inquiry and a bit more of an adventurous nature. Yet her affair with Patrick and subsequent cowardly dumping of Holden was really pathetic. What was worse was the complete lack of follow up on her betrayal.

Dr. Carr seemed to show hints of a soft side that made her hard nosed academic aloofness more intriguing. The cat storyline seemed to further this but ended up looking fairly pointless (I guess we’re supposed to think the cat died?).

I liked Bill, the older agent, and his relationship with Holden started well. I thought the horrors of crime wearing him down was a bit too on the nose and sudden. The story with his adopted son is interesting and could play a part in the next series.

The tickling headteacher story provided an interesting moral quandary. Was it him that Holden stared at outside the supermarket with Debbie?

It was strange how so many crime insights we take for granted now were seemingly in their infancy then. Such as the term serial killer being coined and one of the local cops being shocked that killers might *gasp* have a pattern. I don’t know whether this was overplayed for dramatic effect or accurate.

I guess next series will expand upon the BTK. I’m not sure if that’ll result in a fast forward as BTK was caught like 20/30 years later I believe. I’d imagine there will be more on Bill’s son and Holden being humbled. I haven’t read the book it’s based on so not sure how closely derived the show is.

Overall, a touch disappointing and inconsistent but still enjoyable. I think Netflix and David Fincher have hit so many home runs that this promised more than it delivered, and the writing is the biggest flaw in that.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Not quite sure what I expected from the trailer but it wasn't what I watched :lol:

Good show though, if you get past the terrible first episode.

Runner

i think its hilarious they play machine gun audio every time they show Quantico FBI HQ.

Rake

Enjoying it so far, really expected more of a thriller than a drama but it is still good.

SirAF

Ageist
Watched the two first episodes last night. Yeah no, I don't know - will probably give it a pass.

The Ed Kemper interview was surreal though :lol: