Missing Persons and Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Latest on the Gerrish family deaths - the couple with the baby and dog who were found dead on a California hiking trail. The conclusions are that the baby became affected by the heat, one parent stayed with the baby and dog whilst the other went to get help.

Evidently they had drunk all the water they were carrying, which I think is a different story to earlier reports which said they still had some water with them. Deaths are attributed to hyperthermia and dehydration. Hyperthermia causes confusion. Also, the dog was a thick-coated breed, which is probably why it died too.

https://people.com/human-interest/j...ng-family-hiking-deaths-miju-dog-oski-update/

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Latest on the Gerrish family deaths - the couple with the baby and dog who were found dead on a California hiking trail. The conclusions are that the baby became affected by the heat, one parent stayed with the baby and dog whilst the other went to get help.

Evidently they had drunk all the water they were carrying, which I think is a different story to earlier reports which said they still had some water with them. Deaths are attributed to hyperthermia and dehydration. Hyperthermia causes confusion. Also, the dog was a thick-coated breed, which is probably why it died too.

https://people.com/human-interest/j...ng-family-hiking-deaths-miju-dog-oski-update/
Yeah, this one I still have trouble wrapping my head around. But I’ve grown up with the fear of a storm you had little notice of wiping you out, so maybe I am more aware of Mother Nature’s indifference to one individually.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Anyone been paying attention to the Nicola Bulley investigation in Lancashire?
It’s very local to me. Can’t imagine she’s anything other than dead. My cynicism doesn’t allow me to think it’s anything other than foul play despite what police may think

TheReligion

Abusive
Have been following on and off. Saw the dog was bone dry and her phone was found on a bench nearby? Both very strange.
It’s very local to me. Can’t imagine she’s anything other than dead. My cynicism doesn’t allow me to think it’s anything other than foul play despite what police may think
I’m pretty certain she’s in the water somewhere. It’s quite a fast flowing river so she could be miles down stream or stuck at an overgrown embankment.

I suspect she’s fallen in as part of a freak accident. In terms of the phone, perhaps she’s placed in down in the bench whilst trying to harness the dog and slipped or maybe even sought to retrieve something and fell. I believe the embankment is rather steep.

Amazed the Levi Davis story hasn’t gotten more press / attention.
Interesting. Just been reading about that. Had no idea and he’s been missing since October. Absolutely zero coverage.

The Spanish police are suggesting he owed over 100k to an organised crime group in London and I’ve seen his video in which he claims he was being blackmailed.

I part wondered if he was having a mental health episode and suffering with paranoia but I don’t know enough about it all.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, my first thought reading the story was she had ended up in the water, whether accidentally or not. When you read about the location and the logistics etc. foul play doesn’t seem all that likely.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, my first thought reading the story was she had ended up in the water, whether accidentally or not. When you read about the location and the logistics etc. foul play doesn’t seem all that likely.
Occam’s Razor. I’m positive that’s where she is. Sadly for the family even if they find her they’ll likely never know how she actually ended up there.

Looking at her clothing she had one of those super long puffer gilets on the a heavy winter coat underneath. Would be an absolute nightmare to try and get out of water in all of that and I could imagine them both engulfing her.

I was also wondering about this teams call she was on. Would she have worn air pods or headphones? Or just used it on loudspeaker whilst walking? I’m thinking possibly the former although nothing has been found yet.

hodgey123

Anyone else feel it’s getting an awful lot of coverage in the media? Getting almost hourly updates on my phone from Sky!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Anyone else feel it’s getting an awful lot of coverage in the media? Getting almost hourly updates on my phone from Sky!
Its getting a bizarre amount of coverage which makes me think there is something more to it all.

is the police working with the media on this to get something revealed ? If it was an accident or suicide it wouldn’t make it anywhere near national news let alone top story each day

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Its getting a bizarre amount of coverage which makes me think there is something more to it all.

is the police working with the media on this to get something revealed ? If it was an accident or suicide it wouldn’t make it anywhere near national news let alone top story each day
Being a bit of a true crime junkie I don’t think there’s anything particularly sinister about one case getting way more publicity than the others. Once media have realized that story got some attention from the public they are going to try to cover it almost excessively. We have had several disappearances in Poland that got noticeable amount of attention over the years, among thousands that occurred, usually because there was something about them that made them unique. It is similar in this case, the unfinished Teams meeting and unexpected sight of a dog makes it eerie and keeps people guessing even though it is very likely just a pretty common accident. Many of disappearances are simple accidents, sometimes very hard to solve because of how abrupt they tend to be.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Seen a video posted from a news channel today where a forensic expert from down south was pretty critical of how it's being handled. He said it's a slow flowing river and that she would be easily located, speaking from his experience in fishing bodies out of rivers. He also said the technology the police are using to check the river is outdated and probably not used properly, and that their equipment would have scanned the river within 1 day and confirmed the body was there or not. He said he'd even offered to do it for free but the police didn't respond. He wasn't just some chancer though, he worked for police forces in London, such as Thames Valley, and claimed they had the best hit rate for locating bodies or something like that.

He also said he didn't understand why that are was never treated as a crime scene and cordoned off and why it's took so long to check the river, with them still continuing to do so.

Sweet Square

Seen a video posted from a news channel today where a forensic expert from down south was pretty critical of how it's being handled. He said it's a slow flowing river and that she would be easily located, speaking from his experience in fishing bodies out of rivers. He also said the technology the police are using to check the river is outdated and probably not used properly, and that their equipment would have scanned the river within 1 day and confirmed the body was there or not. He said he'd even offered to do it for free but the police didn't respond. He wasn't just some chancer though, he worked for police forces in London, such as Thames Valley, and claimed they had the best hit rate for locating bodies or something like that.

He also said he didn't understand why that are was never treated as a crime scene and cordoned off and why it's took so long to check the river, with them still continuing to do so.
Interview here -

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Occam’s Razor. I’m positive that’s where she is. Sadly for the family even if they find her they’ll likely never know how she actually ended up there.

Looking at her clothing she had one of those super long puffer gilets on the a heavy winter coat underneath. Would be an absolute nightmare to try and get out of water in all of that and I could imagine them both engulfing her.

I was also wondering about this teams call she was on. Would she have worn air pods or headphones? Or just used it on loudspeaker whilst walking? I’m thinking possibly the former although nothing has been found yet.
A friend of hers released some points yesterday saying she regularly/always (can’t remember) used her phone on loud speaker. Also that the caravan park overlooking where she was walking had cctv and the only camera not working was the one that would have shown where she was. Not sure how true this is.

also, wouldn’t there be slip marks or evidence of where she entered the river if she fell in and that’s what happened?

it definitely seems strange from the limited info I’ve seen on it.

TheReligion

Abusive
A friend of hers released some points yesterday saying she regularly/always (can’t remember) used her phone on loud speaker. Also that the caravan park overlooking where she was walking had cctv and the only camera not working was the one that would have shown where she was. Not sure how true this is.

also, wouldn’t there be slip marks or evidence of where she entered the river if she fell in and that’s what happened?

it definitely seems strange from the limited info I’ve seen on it.
I think the dog harness could be important as that was lying on the floor.

Why place the phone on the bench but leave that on the floor?

Could something have happened involving the dog, either a fall or something which required them to be removed from the harness. It would explain placing the phone down and then the harness being discarded. The chain of events has then resulted in her falling in.

I still suspect she’s sadly entered the water as it’s by far the most likely outcome based on what has been made public at this point.

Big Andy

Bloke
Interesting. Just been reading about that. Had no idea and he’s been missing since October. Absolutely zero coverage.
There's been a guy missing from Warrington for over 2 years now. Had a row with his missus just before Christmas, walked out without his phone, ID, wallet, keys or any cash, in just a pair of joggers and a t-shirt, and was never seen again. No body has turned up, no real sightings.

It's not for from the River Mersey where he went missing, so I'm of the opinion that he's gone for a walk and ended up falling in somehow, but not sure why a body hasn't turned up yet.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.u...missing-latchford-man-james-miller-two-years/

That'sHernandez

It's definitely a slow flowing river - measured its speed further up the stream for A-Level Geography. Obviously clothes and shock of falling into cold water come into it but I struggle to see how anyone comes into serious trouble in that river without foul play involved.

@TheReligion Her falling into the water isn't any more complicated than a bloke assaulting and murdering her.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's definitely a slow flowing river - measured its speed further up the stream for A-Level Geography. Obviously clothes and shock of falling into cold water come into it but I struggle to see how anyone comes into serious trouble in that river without foul play involved.

@TheReligion Her falling into the water isn't any more complicated than a bloke assaulting and murdering her.
Yeah it’s less complicated and why it’s the most likely outcome

Sarni

There's been a guy missing from Warrington for over 2 years now. Had a row with his missus just before Christmas, walked out without his phone, ID, wallet, keys or any cash, in just a pair of joggers and a t-shirt, and was never seen again. No body has turned up, no real sightings.

It's not for from the River Mersey where he went missing, so I'm of the opinion that he's gone for a walk and ended up falling in somehow, but not sure why a body hasn't turned up yet.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.u...missing-latchford-man-james-miller-two-years/
Vaguely similar to what happened to my work colleague last November. They were traveling back from a party with wife and got into a heated argument, she was the driver and he was quite drunk and he ended up leaving the car to travel the rest of his way on foot. He was found several hours later by the railway as he got hit by a train while lying on the tracks. Nobody will ever know whether it was suicide or whether he simply slipped and could not get up because of how intoxicated he was... terrible for the wife to not know what happened, and for it to happen immediately after the argument they had.

Had another case in Krakow back in 2018 or 2019, that guy was a friend of a friend too, returning from party after argument with his wife and disappeared. They kept looking for him for north of a month and eventually found him in a river. Most likely he went to pee and slipped down the embankment.

Sarni

It's very easy to fall into a river and not easy to get out, especially in the Winter when it catches you by surprise (and it always will as it's accidental). I fell into a stream that was not even 0.5m deep last month when I was walking the dog in the forest in Tatra mountains, I did not realize there was a stream below me as I never wandered into that part of forest and I thought I was just walking on solid ground merely taking a shortcut. All of a sudden I just dropped about 30-40 cm down and found my legs fully submerged in water and mud. Took me like a full minute before I could crawl myself out of there and my legs felt numb already as it was so cold, my body being completely unprepared for the event. I imagine if you get into deeper water this cold, by surprise, it is going to be almost impossible to get out regardless of flow.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
People drown in current-less lakes in swimming gear, if you fall in a river in winter in a big coat you’re always in trouble

Sadly having grown up next to a river the answer is almost always that they’re there.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

I know the Wyre there and at this time of year after rain it is deep, freezing, and not slow. Someone encumbered with clothes and footwear could very easily drown, even if they were a fair swimmer in a benign swimming pool.

For the record when my local river, the Ribble, was dredged daily to maintain the channel for shipping the dredgers found several dead bodies over the years, in one case the body had been in the estuary silt over 20 years. It's not dredged anymore, there will be bodies there today, and in similar estuaries all over the country, never to be found.

I've also read several times of a dog falling/jumping into the river, the owner going in to save it and drowning. The dog usually gets out. I don't think that will have happened this time because said dog would be pretty muddy, but it's possible she had been on the bank looking for it if it went after a rat or something.

Big Andy

Bloke
Vaguely similar to what happened to my work colleague last November. They were traveling back from a party with wife and got into a heated argument, she was the driver and he was quite drunk and he ended up leaving the car to travel the rest of his way on foot. He was found several hours later by the railway as he got hit by a train while lying on the tracks. Nobody will ever know whether it was suicide or whether he simply slipped and could not get up because of how intoxicated he was... terrible for the wife to not know what happened, and for it to happen immediately after the argument they had.

Had another case in Krakow back in 2018 or 2019, that guy was a friend of a friend too, returning from party after argument with his wife and disappeared. They kept looking for him for north of a month and eventually found him in a river. Most likely he went to pee and slipped down the embankment.
It's obvious he's dead, but for two years and no body must be horrible for the family. They're still actively trying to find him, as you would, until it was confirmed one way or the other, but sadly he's either fell in the river and couldn't get out, and his body is underwater, or he's legitimately done a runner, but to not take anything with him is suspect, plus he had young kids.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

I doubt their is foul play, otherwise there would be a sign or a body etc

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed the Levi Davis story hasn’t gotten more press / attention.
That the Rugby guy?

Yeah missing for months in Barca so not good at all and bankcard not used in that time. Was reading up on it on websleuths and apparently were reports of a body seen from a yacht around the time he went missing in one of the harbours but authorities didn't act so could be one of those horrible ones where he's lost at sea.

It's wrong to say it's had no mainstream coverage, his Mum was on Good Morning Britain a few weeks back.

Heardy

That the Rugby guy?

Yeah missing for months in Barca so not good at all and bankcard not used in that time. Was reading up on it on websleuths and apparently were reports of a body seen from a yacht around the time he went missing in one of the harbours but authorities didn't act so could be one of those horrible ones where he's lost at sea.

It's wrong to say it's had no mainstream coverage, his Mum was on Good Morning Britain a few weeks back.
Yeah, that’s the guy. Very strange - sources in Spain said he would owed some money to the Somali mafia in London. No idea if they tracked him to Spain, but scary how quickly people can just disappear.

Javi

Maybe the victim hit a stone or something with his head while falling. Whats the embankment like there?

That'sHernandez

I know the Wyre there and at this time of year after rain it is deep, freezing, and not slow. Someone encumbered with clothes and footwear could very easily drown, even if they were a fair swimmer in a benign swimming pool.

For the record when my local river, the Ribble, was dredged daily to maintain the channel for shipping the dredgers found several dead bodies over the years, in one case the body had been in the estuary silt over 20 years. It's not dredged anymore, there will be bodies there today, and in similar estuaries all over the country, never to be found.

I've also read several times of a dog falling/jumping into the river, the owner going in to save it and drowning. The dog usually gets out. I don't think that will have happened this time because said dog would be pretty muddy, but it's possible she had been on the bank looking for it if it went after a rat or something.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64549298

This expert reckons the river isn't fast moving and says he would have expected to have found a body by now if she had fallen in.