MLB 2021

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
With 4 games left the AL wildcard spot is hotting up . Yankees in front by a game, but they've got another match tonight against the Blue Jays, and then a few against the Rays (who've already clinched the division).

Bets gentlemen please? I'd love to see the Mariners in it after coming from absolutely nowhere.

Leg-End

Yankees have decent momentum, but fully expect them to choke.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
With 4 games left the AL wildcard spot is hotting up . Yankees in front by a game, but they've got another match tonight against the Blue Jays, and then a few against the Rays (who've already clinched the division).

Bets gentlemen please? I'd love to see the Mariners in it after coming from absolutely nowhere.

Been following it for the last few weeks and it’s been so up & down . Tonight’s game is absolutely huge . Yankees win that then they are almost certainly in but if they lose then it’s just anyone’: game

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Blue Jays finish up against disgraceful Orioles, so they should win out. If they take tonight's game I can see it being the Jays and Mariners. Would love to see the Sox and Yankees left out. It would be payback for all those stupid 4 hour ESPN Sunday night games that ate into the first 4 innings of the second game, usually my Giants.

Speaking of my Giants, I can't think of a season except for maybe 2010 that I have enjoyed this much.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Aaron Judge is on fire!

Big win for the Yankees against Robbie Ray. Couldn't afford to lose that after dropping the game the other night with Cole on the mound. This wild card race is brilliant.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wild card race is interesting and then we get the abortion that is a one-game playoff that is the wild card round.
100% agree with this. Giants and Dodgers are going to win 105+ games and one of them will get a single game to progress to play the against the best team in baseball (whoever won the division). They need to look into reseeding teams to determine series.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
100% agree with this. Giants and Dodgers are going to win 105+ games and one of them will get a single game to progress to play the against the best team in baseball (whoever won the division). They need to look into reseeding teams to determine series.
To make matters even worse the cardinals have been on fire recently so the wild card game is going to be so hard

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

edcunited1878

MLB and NFL makes sure to reward the division winners, which I think is fair. That isn't the case in the NBA.

Theoretically, the Wild Card team should have a tougher road, but they are peaking at the right time or for a while (e.g. Cardinals). So at least one Wild Card team, it seems in MLB, play well and "surprise" in the Postseason. Nationals were the WC in 2019 when the won, TB went to the ALCS as a WC that year. Yankees in 2017 went deep as the WC. Blue Jays went to the ALCS as a WC in 2016.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
MLB and NFL makes sure to reward the division winners, which I think is fair. That isn't the case in the NBA.

Theoretically, the Wild Card team should have a tougher road, but they are peaking at the right time or for a while (e.g. Cardinals). So at least one Wild Card team, it seems in MLB, play well and "surprise" in the Postseason. Nationals were the WC in 2019 when the won, TB went to the ALCS as a WC that year. Yankees in 2017 went deep as the WC. Blue Jays went to the ALCS as a WC in 2016.
The Giants in 2014 won the WS and were the Wild Card.

edcunited1878

Yeah. The insane part is if the Dodgers/Giants finished tied they have to play a 163rd game and burn a top SP. The cardinals must be sacrificing all the fried chicken to Jobu hoping for that scenario

Dodgers have many starters to go with in a Game 163 and can go short rest for at least one starter....but I wouldn't worry about them. Urias, Scherzer, Buehler, Kershaw. Have Price throw 3 and dig into your bullpen. They are stacked even without Bauer and May. Similar to the Giants. Have someone start and at least go through the order once and go to your bullpen. Both of their bullpens have been two of the best, if not the best, in the NL.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
One of them even years, eh?! My dad is all in with the Giants...but he's ABLAY...(anyone but LA Yoyers)
That's me as well. My Giant fandom stared with 8yo me rebelling against my Dodger loving parents. Never looked back.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

I believe postseason seeding should be regular season record not by division winner then everyone else. Some clubs win a division by default, like the White Sox this season for example. And don't get me started on NFL when sub .500 teams have won the division and earned a home playoff game.

Carolina Red

Staff

The Giants in 2014 won the WS and were the Wild Card.
The Red Sox were the wild card when they broke the curse in 2004.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They were the "wild card", but not in the same sense as it exists now. Back then the 4th best record came in as the 4th seed and would play the 1st seed (unless they were in the same division like in 2004). There was no play in game as that was introduced in 2012.

I did a little analysis of the "modern" (2012-present) playoff structure and here are some interesting tidbits:

1. Seed with most WS titles is AL #1 (3) and only seed with more than 1.
2. Most shocking seed is NL #2 which has won just 2 series (both by 2018 Dodgers).
3. WC teams have won 2 WS (2014 Giants, 2019 Nats) and one additional WS appearance (Royals, also in 2014).
4. AL #5 is only seed without a WS appearance.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yankees down 7-2 at the top of the 6th. Red Sox are definitely winning later which is going to make this wildcard run even closer.

Also, Blue Jays up at the O's

Edit - They're getting pummeled. I'm definitely putting money on the Rays for the WS.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Looks like Jayce Tingler will be fired in San Diego and they will most likely look for an experienced manager. Buck Showalter to the rescue?

Carolina Red

Staff
They were the "wild card", but not in the same sense as it exists now. Back then the 4th best record came in as the 4th seed and would play the 1st seed (unless they were in the same division like in 2004).
Yeah I know. The real wild card, before all this complicated shit.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I've always suspected I was Yankees fan but I think I'm more of an avid observer of them at best. A fan would display frustration, fear or even apathy rather than my intrigue regarding their current situation.

MrMarcello

I would like to see the AL wild card plays out if all four teams finish on 91 wins. I presume a pair of one-off "163rds" with the winners meeting in the actual wild card game.

MrMarcello

The Marlins won both of their titles as the wild card. Typical Braves choke job in the postseason, against Florida in 97 LCS and a shit show against the Cubs in 2003 LDS. The Cubs then proceeded to choke against Florida. Interestingly, the Marlins beat the Giants both times in the LDS.

edcunited1878

Looks like Jayce Tingler will be fired in San Diego and they will most likely look for an experienced manager. Buck Showalter to the rescue?
Bruce Bochy and Ron Washington have been rumored...it was always a gamble going with another first time manager.

Showalter has the full support of Machado, as he played under him in Baltimore. I would like to see Washington as he's a top infield coach and Tatis Jr. needs to improve his defense.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Giants? I assumed you supported the Brewers for some reason
Grew up in SoCal with massive Dodger loving parents, so of course I rebelled and became a Giants fan at age 8. Didn't move to WI till a few years ago but can't hate the Brewers unless we meet in the NLCS.

Charlie Foley

Grew up in SoCal with massive Dodger loving parents, so of course I rebelled and became a Giants fan at age 8. Didn't move to WI till a few years ago but can't hate the Brewers unless we meet in the NLCS.
I had no idea you were a giants fan

Charlie Foley

I don’t really care for baseball and my dad was more of an A’s fan when we lived there but KNBR and my cousins have whipped up my excitement :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I had no idea you were a giants fan
Baseball is my favorite sport and the Giants are the only team which can change my emotional state. I have broken bones (my toe while running around after JT Snows home run in 2000), ran around a parking lot screaming (2010 after the WS win), watched a game on my phone while playing GK in my adult footy league (2012 WS, GM1), prayed on my knees in a tiny hotel room in New Orleans (Game 7 2014 in the 9th), and many other vivid moments. Baseball is the perfect sport. There is a thread on here somewhere in which I waxed poetically as to why. Love it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don’t really care for baseball and my dad was more of an A’s fan when we lived there but KNBR and my cousins have whipped up my excitement :lol:
You are so lucky to have KNBR. Miller, Fleming and K&K are amazing. I have memories from the summer of 2002, right after I moved to Bama for grad school, of walking around my apartment listening to the MLB.com stream of KNBR. I can remember it vividly. Such simple days.

Carolina Red

Staff
Baseball is my favorite sport and the Giants are the only team which can change my emotional state. I have broken bones (my toe while running around after JT Snows home run in 2000), ran around a parking lot screaming (2010 after the WS win), watched a game on my phone while playing GK in my adult footy league (2012 WS, GM1), prayed on my knees in a tiny hotel room in New Orleans (Game 7 2014 in the 9th), and many other vivid moments. Baseball is the perfect sport. There is a thread on here somewhere in which I waxed poetically as to why. Love it.
That’s how I am about Boston. I love that team. 2004’s ALCS was nearly a religious experience.

Charlie Foley

You are so lucky to have KNBR. Miller, Fleming and K&K are amazing. I have memories from the summer of 2002, right after I moved to Bama for grad school, of walking around my apartment listening to the MLB.com stream of KNBR. I can remember it vividly. Such simple days.
I live in Maryland! I listen to KNBR through a VPN:it is worth the cost alone. That and 95.7 for warriors games. I absolutely love sports radio, there is a great romanticism to it. Listening to a game working out in my garage is one of my favourite things to do. My dad listened to KNBR back in the day so it’s a nice bond we have :lol: