MLB 2021

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just saw the highlights. A great performance from the Rays, you looked in control from start to finish. Randy with the cheekiest of all cheeky steals.

That ALCS match against the 'Stros is gonna be tasssttyyy.
Yep. I actually turned in after the sixth as it felt completely in hand.

Gotta love a steal of home base, one of the most exciting plays there is in baseball.

Astros / Rays should be solid, I agree.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So who we rooting for tonight? Braves or the Brewers?

I'm usually a BrewCrew kinda guy but I've got money on the Braves and plus they're repping the NL East. Freeman's perfect teeth are also hard to dislike.

Edit - Didn't realise the 'Stros were on. Currently 2-1 up top o' the 3rd.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So who we rooting for tonight? Braves or the Brewers?

I'm usually a BrewCrew kinda guy but I've got money on the Braves and plus they're repping the NL East. Freeman's perfect teeth are also hard to dislike.

Edit - Didn't realise the 'Stros were on. Currently 2-1 up top o' the 3rd.
Braves. It's an old school Southeast thing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Typical Rays. Pitcher is doing fine in the top of the second inning & our bullpen is already warming up.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is weird. I don't have cable, always watch matches & games on my laptop, & my go to river website has me viewing the game with Russian announcers. They seem to have a decent understanding of the game itself.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Or it's the old old school Braves who were slow, nonathletic, but could mash (Horner, Murphy et al).
This post flashed me back to 2003 for some reason which sent me down a rabbit hole of comparing how much baseball has changed. Here are the stats that jumped out:

(2003 vs 2021)

1. OBP: .333 vs .317
2. K's: 6 per game vs. 9 per game
3. BA: .264 vs .244
4. HR: 5207 vs. 5944
5. R per gm: 4.7 vs. 4.5
6. SLG: .422 vs. .411

Also: The Red Sox TEAM batting avg. was .289 in 2003. Houston was the top avg this year at .267 Absurd.

By every metric offense in baseball as gotten worse, except for maybe an increase in HR.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This post flashed me back to 2003 for some reason which sent me down a rabbit hole of comparing how much baseball has changed. Here are the stats that jumped out:

(2003 vs 2021)

Also: The Red Sox TEAM batting avg. was .289 in 2003. Houston was the top avg this year at .267 Absurd.

By every metric offense in baseball as gotten worse, except for maybe an increase in HR.
2003 was after the old & the old old school Braves referenced earlier, but thanks for that trek down the rabbit hole. As I said the other day, baseball has the best stats.

It could be argued that the increase in HRs is indicative of a poorer brand of baseball. I truly miss the baseball of the 90s before the steroid era beginning in 98.

edcunited1878

2003 was after the old & the old old school Braves referenced earlier, but thanks for that trek down the rabbit hole. As I said the other day, baseball has the best stats.

It could be argued that the increase in HRs is indicative of a poorer brand of baseball. I truly miss the baseball of the 90s before the steroid era beginning in 98.
Baseball is a more specialized game revolving around power, which lends itself to fewer outcomes like strikeout, walk, or HR. Power pitching, power hitting, and spin.

Carolina Red

Staff

(2003 vs 2021)

Bingo. Which is why I want this current approach to hitting to die an ignominious death.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Baseball is a more specialized game revolving around power, which lends itself to fewer outcomes like strikeout, walk, or HR. Power pitching, power hitting, and spin.
You're unfortunately right.

We may not see another gem of a pitcher like Greg Maddux ever again.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
You're unfortunately right.

We may not see another gem of a pitcher like Greg Maddux ever again.
I was thinking about that during the Yankees/Sox game. Every single guy to toe the rubber was a power pitcher. No finesse
slow down there gentlemen. Maddox was no slouch, he was in the low 90’s as a cub and early Brave.

also, as I was confirming this I saw that he only got 97% HOF vote. This is why the HOF vote is stupid.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
slow down there gentlemen. Maddox was no slouch, he was in the low 90’s as a cub and early Brave.

also, as I was confirming this I saw that he only got 97% HOF vote. This is why the HOF vote is stupid.
I honestly did not know that about his Cub days. I just remember Leo Mazzone's influence on him & his insane ability to paint the corners with finesse.

What a rotation that was - Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery / can't remember who followed Avery, but I remember him being good.

There's always the idiot writer or three that maintain that no one deserves to be inducted unanimously. It's typically the most nonathletic writers of the voting bloc.

Carolina Red

Staff

But he became great when he stopped trying to throw a 93mph 4seamer and threw 86mph 2seamers.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I honestly did not know that about his Cub days. I just remember Leo Mazzone's influence on him & his insane ability to paint the corners with finesse.

What a rotation that was - Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Avery / can't remember who followed Avery, but I remember him being good.
Kevin Millwood is the name you are looking for :)

Edit: Or it could have been Neagle(?)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Kevin Millwood is the name you are looking for :)

Edit: Or it could have been Neagle(?)
Is that rotation the best ever in the modern era? It is easily in the argument for me.

I was thinking of Millwood.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Dammit, right on the tip of my fingers.

I applaud the baseball knowledge!

Well, dammit, another dinger given up.
The 90's were my baseball fandom glory years.

I was in HS and here was no smartphones (or hell, cell phones) so on bus rides to games we were looking at playboys and/or chatting baseball while snoop/dre played in the background.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is that rotation the best ever in the modern era? It is easily in the argument for me.

I was thinking of Millwood.
That or that 2010-11 Phillies team. Lee/Hammels/Halladay, all in their prime. I think they got someone else (Oswalt or Peavy?? It was some short dude) in a trade.

edcunited1878

1998 Braves rotation was arguably the best ever...even if the Padres beat them in the NLCS.

Braves had prime Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Neagle, and Millwood. All those guys had a plus fastball, as in consistently low 90s, but plus secondary and third pitches...with movement and control.. Glavine would hols runners on so well and pick you off at first. One of the best lefty moves to first alongside Andy Petitte.

Boston is raking tonight and getting a lot of good looks and swings against the Tampa pen.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
1998 Braves rotation was arguably the best ever...even if the Padres beat them in the NLCS.

Braves had prime Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Neagle, and Millwood. All those guys had a plus fastball, as in consistently low 90s, but plus secondary and third pitches...with movement and control.. Glavine would hols runners on so well and pick you off at first. One of the best lefty moves to first alongside Andy Petitte.

Boston is raking tonight and getting a lot of good looks and swings against the Tampa pen.
The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards that 2011 Phillies rotation by the thinnest of hairs.

The top 3 on each team cancel each other out and Worely/Oswalt was slightly better than Millwood/Neagle.

2011 Philadelphia Phillies Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com
1998 Atlanta Braves Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Carolina Red

Staff

Braves had prime Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Neagle, and Millwood.
I mean… just think. How many rotations have ever had a first ballot HOFer as their #3? Oh, and first ballot HOFers at #1 and #2 also :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff

Carolina Red

Staff
No outs. Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Hit and run?
- Hell nah
Bunt?
- Hell nah
Swing for the parking lot and hit into a double play?
- Oh daddy!