MLB 2021

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The Giants went 17-2 against Arizona...
My point wasn't against the Giants, more comparing the Dodgers performance in the NL West to other teams across the divisions and saying that if there were to be a seeded postseason, more factors than just Win/Loss ratio would be needed to ascertain the seeding positions.

I'm personally in favour of seeding but only if it accounts less for win/loss ratio alone and also factors in competitiveness of teams across the division to work out a truer percentage. The Cards, for example, had a much lower winning percentage than the Dodgers but arguably had a tougher division, so therefore more difficult games across the 162, when you factor in that there were 3 fairly good teams in the NL Central this year (i.e. The Reds).

Edit - Or maybe I've misread your point and you're referring to the idea there should only be one wildcard place?

Edit edit - I'm also implying the Padres weren't very good and I'll happily stand by that. They underperformed.

Leg-End

So that went well, this Yankee team even if they would’ve gone past Boston one of wild card game they’re never going to past that Rays side, too good.Boone should go.
He really should but he probably won’t, the PR is already out in full force but I reckon I could manage the Yankees to over 90 wins with that team.

Cashman the same. 1 ring in 21 years with that budget!? Come on.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
My point wasn't against the Giants, more comparing the Dodgers performance in the NL West to other teams across the divisions and saying if they were to be seeded something more than Win/Loss ratio would be needed to ascertain the seeding positions.

I'd personally be in favour of seeding but only if it accounted less for win/loss ratio alone and also factored in the competitiveness of teams across the whole division to work out a true percentage. The Cards, for example, had a much lower winning percentage than the Dodgers but arguably had a tougher division as a whole when you factor in that there were 3 good teams in the NL Central this year (i.e. The Reds).

Edit - Or maybe I've misread and you're referring to the idea there should only be one wildcard place?
I find the fifth wild card thing a stupid idea, atypical of MLB leadership thinking. I'd say stick to the one wild card slot or make it three wild cards with the top two seeds given a bye into the LDS and the lowest division winner based on win % drawing the lowest seeded wild card side, and the other two wild cards facing off, each wild card series a best of three at the highest seeded sides home field. The winners then advance to the LDS in a best of three at the top two division winners home field. Based on the present format with three divisions seeding would be difficult but the NBA manages to do it despite unbalanced scheduling, which I gather was one of the main factoids in that particular article.

A more balanced schedule is possible, IMO, but MLB favors stacked divisional play.

Mani

He really should but he probably won’t, the PR is already out in full force but I reckon I could manage the Yankees to over 90 wins with that team.

Cashman the same. 1 ring in 21 years with that budget!? Come on.
I doubt Hal would sack cashman,but let’s wait on Boone’s case.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
My point wasn't against the Giants, more comparing the Dodgers performance in the NL West to other teams across the divisions and saying that if there were to be a seeded postseason, more factors than just Win/Loss ratio would be needed to ascertain the seeding positions.

I'm personally in favour of seeding but only if it accounts less for win/loss ratio alone and also factors in competitiveness of teams across the division to work out a truer percentage. The Cards, for example, had a much lower winning percentage than the Dodgers but arguably had a tougher division, so therefore more difficult games across the 162, when you factor in that there were 3 fairly good teams in the NL Central this year (i.e. The Reds).

Edit - Or maybe I've misread your point and you're referring to the idea there should only be one wildcard place?

Edit edit - I'm also implying the Padres weren't very good and I'll happily stand by that. They underperformed.
Wait a second....if only there was some way to look at this.....

The NL West was 83-82 against the NL Central, so pretty even. Also, before their implosion the Padres were a top 5 team in the NL. I would argue the NL West was at worst on par with the Central.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I find the fifth wild card thing a stupid idea, atypical of MLB leadership thinking. I'd say stick to the one wild card slot or make it three wild cards with the top two seeds given a bye into the LDS and the lowest division winner based on win % drawing the lowest seeded wild card side, and the other two wild cards facing off, each wild card series a best of three at the highest seeded sides home field. The winners then advance to the LDS in a best of three at the top two division winners home field. Based on the present format with three divisions seeding would be difficult but the NBA manages to do it despite unbalanced scheduling, which I gather was one of the main factoids in that particular article.

A more balanced schedule is possible, IMO, but MLB favors stacked divisional play.
Ah yes then I did misread....

I think that's a sensible approach and could see the merits because it keeps the divisional play structure in place (assuming that's not going anywhere). The only thing I'd be wary of is whether increasing the number of wildcard teams might make getting in a bit less special. It's always a source of interest to see when it go down to the last few games, particularly as you begin comparing across divisions, which doesn't happen much otherwise.

Tbh I'm surprised the wildcard game isn't a best of 3/5 yet. It's fun to watch but also very odd in baseball for something to come down to one game.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Thing is, if one wants to claim "they beat the shitty Arizona team" they should also note the team that won 107 games also beat the crap out of that shit team.

So, you're no longer against the abortion that is the one-game playoff?
Oh, I'm still against it but can't I at least hypocritically lick the sweet tears of Dodger fans for one week without your judgement?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Wait a second....if only there was some way to look at this.....

The NL West was 83-82 against the NL Central, so pretty even. Also, before their implosion the Padres were a top 5 team in the NL. I would argue the NL West was at worst on par with the Central.
Fair enough. What I said was typed with ferocious quickness and I'm pretty zonked after work. I didn't put much thought into it :lol:

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Fair enough. What I said was typed with ferocious quickness and I'm pretty zonked after work. I didn't put much thought into it :lol:
No worries. The sweet tears of Dodgers fan is a great elixir if you're zonked. I know karma is going to feck me for these comments but I find I can't stop myself.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Speaking of Arizona, here is an amazingly amazing stat:

The Diamondbacks had more wins (26) against the combined NL East/Central than against the NL West (22). They only played those 2 divisions, combined, 56 times. They played the NL West 76 times.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Speaking of Arizona, here is an amazingly amazing stat:

The Diamondbacks had more wins (26) against the combined NL East/Central than against the NL West (22). They only played those 2 divisions, combined, 56 times. They played the NL West 76 times.
Baseball has the best stats.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As a (sort of) ex data scientist I completely agree. I may, or may not, have a SQL database loaded with every scrap of hitting/pitching/fielding available.......
I used to have the Baseball Encyclopedia years ago, back then it was something like 2500 pages. Maybe more than that actually.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Who has Redcafe's highest WAR?
Depends on two things:

1) What does the W stand for (WUMMING, Whining, Wanking, etc.)
2) What is "replacement level", because honestly I don't think anyone here is above it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I doubt Hal would sack cashman,but let’s wait on Boone’s case.
Cashman is 100% safe. He's basically a Steinbrenner family member. Boone will most likely take the fall and rightfully so he's just not a good manager but he's Cashman's puppet and he follows their awful analytics system. Yankees need an organization reboot.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Why is this thread so dead? Come on you Cards!

That said I am now disappearing for an hour. Time for a call with the Pac-Asia branches.... :mad:

edcunited1878

Turner ties the game with a solo shot to left field. Hanging breaking ball by Waino, after he got a generous called strike by Joe West.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Turner ties the game with a solo shot to left field. Hanging breaking ball by Waino, after he got a generous called strike by Joe West.
I've not been able to watch a second of this due to work. How does Scherzer look? Hopefully vulnerable?

edcunited1878

I've not been able to watch a second of this due to work. How does Scherzer look? Hopefully vulnerable?
He was pulled after allowing 2 runners, but the Dodgers got out of the inning clean. He threw a lot of pitches and went to 3 ball counts many times...his highest 3 ball count total this season.

Bottom 6, 1 out, 1 on. Waino out. Bullpen game now.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He was pulled after allowing 2 runners, but the Dodgers got out of the inning clean. He threw a lot of pitches and went to 3 ball counts many times...his highest 3 ball count total this season.

Bottom 6, 1 out, 1 on. Waino out. Bullpen game now.
Thanks, 15 minutes or so left on this call and then a bourbon, and hopefully Dodger tears, await.

Mani

Cashman is 100% safe. He's basically a Steinbrenner family member. Boone will most likely take the fall and rightfully so he's just not a good manager but he's Cashman's puppet and he follows their awful analytics system. Yankees need an organization reboot.
That’s right too much reliance on analytic, structural change needed whole approach doesn’t sit well, heads need to roll.

edcunited1878

Poor pitch sequence against Taylor. He's been struggling and after throwing 3 straight sliders, he's sitting breaking ball and going the other way with a fastball. Speeding up his bat with a breaking ball and Reyes hung it as well. Walk off.

He has a 100 mph fastball with 1st base open on a 2-1 count, 2 outs. That's why he lost the closer role.

107 wins v 106 wins. NL West rivals playing against each other in the playoffs for the first time ever.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Poor pitch sequence against Taylor. He's been struggling and after throwing 3 straight sliders, he's sitting breaking ball and going the other way with a fastball. Speeding up his bat with a breaking ball and Reyes hung it as well. Walk off.

He has a 100 mph fastball with 1st base open on a 2-1 count, 2 outs. That's why he lost the closer role.

107 wins v 106 wins. NL West rivals playing against each other in the playoffs for the first time ever.
ah well, it was meant to be I guess.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
White Sox Astros series starts tonight and it's UK time friendly (same for game 2 tomorrow) :drool: