Modric vs Sneijder vs Nasri - a muppet poll

Who would do best at United?

• Total voters

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Modric, although nasri would be more affordable.

Sneijder plays too similar a role to Rooney - it would be wasteful to have our two best players competing for the same spot pretty much, or pushing Rooney out of position and dropping hernandez.

Modric would fit into our existing system perfectly, and improve midfield drastically.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think Sneijder might need time adjusting to the Premiership.

Nasri and Modric - difficult decision. Modric comes across as a very nice person and looks a United player. However, Nasri is a bigger goal threat from the middle, and can play in a number of positions which just edges it for me.

Cina

And that's a much better argument than "can't play in a 2" which for me is nonsense with most quality players.

I thought Rooney played best with Giggs and Carrick behind, so for me it's all about replacing Giggs who scores goals and has plenty of assists, hence why I feel Nasri is best suited to that job. No doubt the other 2 would be great too.
I can see why. For the record I'd have Nasri over Sneijder in a heartbeat.

For me it's giving the back 4 the protection and keeping the ball which I think Modric does very well, rather than being "creative" (which he can be too) and scoring lots of goals because we already have Rooney, Hernandez, Nani, Berb etc to do that for us.

I can very much understand why opinions are divided on Nasri and Modric because they're both very good fits and it's almost personal preference at this stage as to which one people want, where as I care nothing for Sneijder because I do not think he'd fit in at this club nearly as easily as the other two would and seeing as he's already 27 then that would be a big downer.

Sw33t

Nasri for me. Not only is he quality and would fit in to out team like a glove, but it will also mean the further decline of Arsenal and I get to laugh at the arrogant Arsenal fans

MUFCgal

Is scoring goals a problem for us? I think we have a huge attacking potential already.
See what he's saying again.

He said scoring goals from midfield is a problem, and we haven't had a scoring CM for a while. Everywhere else is fine, but we do miss goals from midfield, and you can't deny it.

Cina

For the record I could see Modric's goal tally increasing by a fair bit here because of the jump in quality at the club and he'd get more chances. Look at Valencia, didn't he have 2 in his entire time at Wigan?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Modric. Purely because he can operate effectively in a 2 man midfield. That's what we've been missing, especially in a 4-4-2 & I fully believe he can bring the best out of Carrick, like Scholes did in 06/07. :drool:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
See what he's saying again.

He said scoring goals from midfield is a problem, and we haven't had a scoring CM for a while. Everywhere else is fine, but we do miss goals from midfield, and you can't deny it.
Course you can deny it. We score plenty of goals. We scored most in the league last season (I think). We don't need more goalscorers.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Sneijder - Best player (so far). Proven on all levels against the very best. Maybe his best position is in the hole and we already have one world class player in that position. The downside is his age and Yolanthe. We are also two years to late on this transfer.

Modric - Would be perfect as a deep lying playmaker. Proven PL quality and he would probably fit in perfect in our squad. Downside is his long range passing and that his goals and assist stats are not the best.

Nasri - Still quite young with loads of potential to improve in all areas. Great with the ball and he has good vision. Score goals. Downside is that he's a little bit unproven defensively.

I go for Nasri! Alla in all he looks like the best prospect and under Sir Alex he can improve his overall game to be the player we need. Best buy IMO.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think Sneijders a tremendous player but i'd go with Modric and Nasri :)

Jeffchin

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Tough choice between Nasri and Modric, both are quality and suit us perfectly, but I choose nasri as I think he is more of a goal threat.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Nasri - Better value for the money. As pointed out he is also only 24, one for the future too.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Course you can deny it. We score plenty of goals. We scored most in the league last season (I think). We don't need more goalscorers.
Why on earth do we need a goal scoring midfielder :confused:
It surely couldn't hurt, could it?

Goals from midfield aren't exactly a hindrance, so the fact that we have managed to score plenty of goals from other areas of the pitch doesn't mean we would turn down the chance to bring in a goalscoring midfielder. It's not like the player in question wouldn't do anything else, and at the end of the day scoring goals is the objective!

As for the question in the OP, at the start of summer I'd have said Sneijder every time, and I would still very much welcome his signing, but the more I think about the potential addition of Nasri the more it seems to make sense, so I'm somewhat torn between the two of them. Modric would undoubtedly be a good signing too, but I haven't really given much thought to him because I don't think there's a chance of us getting him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hold on, we all cried when Messi danced through our midfield/defense (twice). We all cried how we didn't have a player like that. Nasri is a player who can pick up the ball in CM and penetrate through, thats not Modrics game at all.

Isn't the point of a squad to have different types of players to allow the manager to use different tactics? Nasri provides us with a different option, a true goalscorer from CM. Something we haven't had since Scholes goals dried up.

phelans shorts

Sneijder - Best player (so far). Proven on all levels against the very best. Maybe his best position is in the hole and we already have one world class player in that position. The downside is his age and Yolanthe. We are also two years to late on this transfer.

Modric - Would be perfect as a deep lying playmaker. Proven PL quality and he would probably fit in perfect in our squad. Downside is his long range passing and that his goals and assist stats are not the best.

Nasri - Still quite young with loads of potential to improve in all areas. Great with the ball and he has good vision. Score goals. Downside is that he's a little bit unproven defensively.

I go for Nasri! Alla in all he looks like the best prospect and under Sir Alex he can improve his overall game to be the player we need. Best buy IMO.
So basically the downside of Modric is the way 'arry makes him play?

The revolutionism with Nasri is incredible, I've never seen history rewritten so much, and I've watched a few war films!

Zen86

No idea. Apparently some people have this ridiculous idea that goals are an important part of football. :houllier:
Yes, far more important for a midfielder than passing, dictating the play etc. I mean, who cares if our midfield gets pissed all over by big teams if they can bag a goal.

It surely couldn't hurt, could it?

Goals from midfield aren't exactly a hindrance, so the fact that we have managed to score plenty of goals from other areas of the pitch doesn't mean we would turn down the chance to bring in a goalscoring midfielder. It's not like the player in question wouldn't do anything else, and at the end of the day scoring goals is the objective!

As for the question in the OP, at the start of summer I'd have said Sneijder every time, and I would still very much welcome his signing, but the more I think about the potential addition of Nasri the more it seems to make sense, so I'm somewhat torn between the two of them. Modric would undoubtedly be a good signing too, but I haven't really given much thought to him because I don't think there's a chance of us getting him.
Having goalscorers in all positions in the team doesn't mean we're going to score more. People forget that somebody has to provide assists and generally pass the ball. We certainly don't need Nasri, he'd get bullied all over the place in the middle against a good team, at which point everyone on here would start crying again.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Nasri is exciting, but he won't add any bollocks to our midfield. Sneijder is just as exciting, just as creative (not as much dribble ability) about equal goal-scoring wise, but also looks to get on the ball and not fade away. Sneijder everytime.

Still want Nasri mind.

Lance Uppercut

Cards on the table time.

Which midfielder would the caf prefer?

If you want to discuss how likely any of them is to join United or not, or how much it would cost to sign them, then fill your boots in the relevant thread.

This thread is purely for gauging opinions on which player would be the biggest success if they joined United this summer
Frankly, I am amazed that this went well.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
See that's why I wanted Modic and Nasri :cool: Think big. No but you know it depends how Sir Alex models the team. We do have Jones too who would perhaps be played in a defensive midfield type role on occasions as he'll fighting for game time too. His passings decent enough and he can definitely tackle.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Having goalscorers in all positions in the team doesn't mean we're going to score more. People forget that somebody has to provide assists and generally pass the ball. We certainly don't need Nasri, he'd get bullied all over the place in the middle against a good team, at which point everyone on here would start crying again.
Are you suggesting that adding a goalscoring midfielder would remove our ability to create chances? I'm sorry but I'm really not following your logic, here. If we take Nasri as an example, he can score goals but he can also create things, and we have other players in the squad who can create chances as well. Adding somebody to the centre of the park who can score goals would almost certainly result in us scoring more goals, not forgetting that with Nani and now Young we have two of the highest assisters (that's not a real word but I don't care) in the league.

cj_sparky

I'd go for Nasri. His versatility would be a huge asset for starters, as I think he could play in a number of positions in various formations. Be it behind the front man if we go one up front, from wide or from a deeper central position.

I like how direct he can be running from deep, it draws defenders out which for Hernandez means more space. He has the trickery to go past that said defender and the ability to score goals. But also to pick that killer pass.

I also think he has huge scope to improve whilst already being a quality player, the typical Fergie signing to improve and make a "United" player.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m no nasri #fanboi, to be honest, i don’t see what the little lesbian would bring to the table that say a charley adams or a returning cleverly wouldn’t, they’d represent better value in today’s market. for my money we need a box-to-box midfielder who represents value in the market, alas there is little value in the market and we may have to make do with the pie merchant from blackpool instead of the more continental schnider or modric. modric. at the end of the day adams could be the new paul scholes, he’s got the required silks and tekkers. all of you that say he doesn't are just :nono: he could be world class. to be honsest he ticks all the right boxes; he probably wouldn’t want to go to madrid or barcelona in a couple of years’ time and he can play in a midfield 2. at the end of the day, as with all potential signings, haters gonna hate, lulz and lame debate is lame.

anyone?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sneijder

Though to be honest, all three of them are ridiculously overhyped. I just haven't seen Sneijder receiving praise for fannying around pointlessly in any Premiership games yet, while the other two are among the best going for it.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Nasri.... he is the only signing where our pants won't be pulled down.

All three would do the job we require very nicely indeed.

I think it is a no brainer and a bargain, whoever gets him.

MUFCgal

i’m no nasri #fanboi, to be honest, i don’t see what the little lesbian would bring to the table that say a charley adams or a returning cleverly wouldn’t, they’d represent better value in today’s market. for my money we need a box-to-box midfielder who represents value in the market, alas there is little value in the market and we may have to make do with the pie merchant from blackpool instead of the more continental schnider or modric. modric. at the end of the day adams could be the new paul scholes, he’s got the required silks and tekkers. all of you that say he doesn't are just :nono: he could be world class. to be honsest he ticks all the right boxes; he probably wouldn’t want to go to madrid or barcelona in a couple of years’ time and he can play in a midfield 2. at the end of the day, as with all potential signings, haters gonna hate, lulz and lame debate is lame.

anyone?
Charlie Adam? No thanks.

Zen86

If the legend Paul Scholes rates him and wants him, thats good enough for me. :keano:
Well it's a done deal then.

Are you suggesting that adding a goalscoring midfielder would remove our ability to create chances? I'm sorry but I'm really not following your logic, here. If we take Nasri as an example, he can score goals but he can also create things, and we have other players in the squad who can create chances as well. Adding somebody to the centre of the park who can score goals would almost certainly result in us scoring more goals, not forgetting that with Nani and now Young we have two of the highest assisters (that's not a real word but I don't care) in the league.
I'm not saying it would stop us creating chances, but your assertion that Nasri 'would almost certainly result in us scoring more goals' is very naive. I felt it was pretty clear what our midfield deficiencies were from the Barcelona game, but I guess everyones been whipped up into a Nasri gimp frenzy on here the past few weeks.