Modric vs Sneijder vs Nasri - a muppet poll

Who would do best at United?

• Total voters

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The challenge wrt bringing in Nasri/Sneijder again is, where are they best deployed? I don't think either plays in a 2man midfield.

Goals and assists from midfield are only important if they have dried up from our forwards/wingers. I'd :drool: at having either of the 3 tbh, but my personal preference remains Modric.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
See that's why I wanted Modic and Nasri :cool: Think big. No but you know it depends how Sir Alex models the team. We do have Jones too who would perhaps be played in a defensive midfield type role on occasions as he'll fighting for game time too. His passings decent enough and he can definitely tackle.
Two more midfield signings this summer wouldn't surprise me at all.

RonaldoVII

The best claim lies with Modric because he'd be playing in the same position. Then Nasri, who has played in CM but not as well as when he was behind the striker, then Sneijder who is anyones guess.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
So basically the downside of Modric is the way 'arry makes him play?

The revolutionism with Nasri is incredible, I've never seen history rewritten so much, and I've watched a few war films!
I don't understand your criticism.

Modric would be great but IMO Nasri would be better. What's wrong with that?

What revolutionism and rewritten history do you talk about?

a) Isn't Nasri young and can improve in all areas?
b) Is he not good with ball to his feet and have good vision?
c) As far as I know he score's plenty of goal. What's wrong with that statement?
d) And as far as I know he's unproven defensively. Maybe you know more about this then me?

So which statement is wrong in your opinion?

Blair

I went the best player route - voted Sneijder.
I did the same, and since then I have thought about who would suit us the most - which would be either Modric or Nasri hands down.

We have a player in the Sneijder position who is even better - Rooney.

Modric would cost a bomb and wants to stay in London, so we can't get him anyway.

So Nasri is the one I want.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Can i be greedy have all three?

Seriously, i could see us getting Sniejder, if not then it will be Nasri.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not saying it would stop us creating chances, but your assertion that Nasri 'would almost certainly result in us scoring more goals' is very naive. I felt it was pretty clear what our midfield deficiencies were from the Barcelona game, but I guess everyones been whipped up into a Nasri gimp frenzy on here the past few weeks.
It's not about being in a gimp frenzy but thanks for the analysis. We don't play Barcelona every week and we don't even know if we'll play them at all next season, so judging every potential change based on how we perceive it to stack up against them doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

We have our squad as it is at the moment which we all seem to agree is capable of creating and scoring chances, if we add in a player who is proven to be able to create and score chances from the middle of the park, an area from which we haven't scored many goals in recent years, it's not naive to expect that our total goal tally is likely to increase. We'll still be creating chances (possibly even more) and we'll have someone in the middle who can bang in a few extra goals.

Obviously there's no guarantees, but it's really not far fetched.

::sonny::

App (Goals)

Modric 91 (9)
Nasri 85 (18)
Sneijder 51 (8) with Inter, 52 (11) with Real Madrid

Zen86

It's not about being in a gimp frenzy but thanks for the analysis. We don't play Barcelona every week and we don't even know if we'll play them at all next season, so judging every potential change based on how we perceive it to stack up against them doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

We have our squad as it is at the moment which we all seem to agree is capable of creating and scoring chances, if we add in a player who is proven to be able to create and score chances from the middle of the park, an area from which we haven't scored many goals in recent years, it's not naive to expect that our total goal tally is likely to increase. We'll still be creating chances (possibly even more) and we'll have someone in the middle who can bang in a few extra goals.

Obviously there's no guarantees, but it's really not far fetched.
Well that's why I'm thankful none of you are the manager.

phelans shorts

I don't understand your criticism.

Modric would be great but IMO Nasri would be better. What's wrong with that?

What revolutionism and rewritten history do you talk about?

a) Isn't Nasri young and can improve in all areas?
b) Is he not good with ball to his feet and have good vision?
c) As far as I know he score's plenty of goal. What's wrong with that statement?
d) And as far as I know he's unproven defensively. Maybe you know more about this then me?

So which statement is wrong in your opinion?
Well C is definately wrong, he had one good goalscoring run last season, it doesn't make him someone who always scores plenty of goals.

The rewritten history is that this time last year Nasri would have led to calls of us not reaching top 4, team in decline etc... Whereas now he's what's needed to win everything as he had one good (not spectacular) season. I actually really like Nasri, this is incredible change in tone from lots of people.

Also Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world right now, and would undoubtably fit immediately into our system, hence him getting my vote.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well that's why I'm thankful none of you are the manager.
You're the one talking bollocks, quite frankly. Since when has Nasri just been a 'goalscoring midfielder'? You'd think we are talking about Frank Lampard or Darron Gibson!

You said we need a midfielder that can pass and control games, and if you'd have watched Nari frequently enough you would see he has the game,skillset and confidence to become this sort of player, if he isn't already.

I remember watching him 2 seasons ago against Barcelona and thought he was sensational in 1 leg in particular. He played like a real winner, constantly fighting for every ball, trying to push Arsenal forward by carrying the ball past players. There is a huge myth around Nasri that he's some push over, but this really isn't true. He does actually work hard onthe pitch and fights for every ball. He actually uses his body strength well, in my opinion.

Havak

Pokemon master
Modric ever so slightly edges it for me in terms of ability (out of him and Nasri). I believe both of these players have more to offer in a two-man midfield than Sneijder does, and I still believe that's what we'll need more often than not when Rooney is playing behind Hernandez.

Modric and Nasri are proven in the Premier League, at a good age, have great technical ability and don't get out-muscled too often despite their size. I would prefer us to get Modric, but I'd be happy if we got Nasri as the transfer fee would likely be significantly lower.

quethenoo

See what he's saying again.

He said scoring goals from midfield is a problem, and we haven't had a scoring CM for a while. Everywhere else is fine, but we do miss goals from midfield, and you can't deny it.
I saw what he said I think, what im saying is does it matter where the goals come from? I dont think we are lacking in goal threat therefore i dont see it as requisite for playing in our cm currently, its more about the ability to dictate the game for me.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Modric ever so slightly edges it for me in terms of ability (out of him and Nasri). I believe both of these players have more to offer in a two-man midfield than Sneijder does, and I still believe that's what we'll need more often than not when Rooney is playing behind Hernandez.

Modric and Nasri are proven in the Premier League, at a good age, have great technical ability and don't get out-muscled too often despite their size. I would prefer us to get Modric, but I'd be happy if we got Nasri as the transfer fee would likely be significantly lower.
I'd argue that Modric does get out-muscled quite a bit.

I remember pitching the idea of us signing Modric to my dad and he said 'he's a cracking little player but isn't ready to battle if you need to'. We were watching a Spurs match at the time and there were quite a few times where my dad pointed out examples of him being out-muscled.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Purely as a player it'd be Modric for me, the only player of the three who looks most at home in a deeper position (almost to the extent that he struggles further forward) and not really because of the two-man midfield 'nonsense' but because if we're going to have faith in Anderson we need someone to calmly dictate from deep positions as he is the aggressive passing, strong dribbling 'attacking midfielder' which Nasri and Sneijder are.

Sneijder doesn't really appeal to me at all because he's too aggressive with his passing, too attack-minded, defensively lazy and/or poor at times and has some fitness issues which raise questions of how useful he'd be in a 3 with Anderson or a two with any of our centre mids. Comparisons to Giggs don't work because he's always been defensivwly capable and covers a huge amount of ground, and don't really work with Scholes because what was crucial to his partnership with Carrick was his willingness to press and tackle to stop Carrick's lack of tenacity from allowing teams to out-battle/overpower our midfield.Anderson-Carrick behind him could combat thiis to an extent with Anderson's aggressive nature but it's reliant on Anderson really developing his defensive game and becoming an Essien-type or else Carrick's left with too much defensive work, and I just don't see Anderson as anything other than predominatly attacking.

Modric and Nasri would both do rightly for me, they both prefer a more considered, possession-based passing game (rather than the aggressive, creative one of Sneijder and to a lesser extent Anderson) which I think is crucial and have shown a willingness to apply themselves defensively (in a 4231 and a 433) while still having the ability to open up a defence but Nasri is more dribbling-based and Modric more passing-based and with Anderson's dribbling ability it makes Modric more useful, as does the fact that Nasri's better slightly further forward. On the other hand Nasri's more versatile and more of a direct threat.

If we bring price (and impact on a rival) into it then Nasri seems the easy choice because I'm not that fond of the idea of paying a ridiculous fee for Modric.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Nasri for me over Modric is the more effective player.

Sneijder I think would be my number one choice, but the Arsenal factor and how funny that would be if we did the unthinkable and signed him pushes Nasri over the edge

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Purely as a player it'd be Modric for me, the only player of the three who looks most at home in a deeper position (almost to the extent that he struggles further forward) and not really because of the two-man midfield 'nonsense' but because if we're going to have faith in Anderson we need someone to calmly dictate from deep positions as he is the aggressive passing, strong dribbling 'attacking midfielder' which Nasri and Sneijder are.

Sneijder doesn't really appeal to me at all because he's too aggressive with his passing, too attack-minded, defensively lazy and/or poor at times and has some fitness issues which raise questions of how useful he'd be in a 3 with Anderson or a two with any of our centre mids. Comparisons to Giggs don't work because he's always been defensivwly capable and covers a huge amount of ground, and don't really work with Scholes because what was crucial to his partnership with Carrick was his willingness to press and tackle to stop Carrick's lack of tenacity from allowing teams to out-battle/overpower our midfield.Anderson-Carrick behind him could combat thiis to an extent with Anderson's aggressive nature but it's reliant on Anderson really developing his defensive game and becoming an Essien-type or else Carrick's left with too much defensive work, and I just don't see Anderson as anything other than predominatly attacking.

Modric and Nasri would both do rightly for me, they both prefer a more considered, possession-based passing game (rather than the aggressive, creative one of Sneijder and to a lesser extent Anderson) which I think is crucial and have shown a willingness to apply themselves defensively (in a 4231 and a 433) while still having the ability to open up a defence but Nasri is more dribbling-based and Modric more passing-based and with Anderson's dribbling ability it makes Modric more useful, as does the fact that Nasri's better slightly further forward. On the other hand Nasri's more versatile and more of a direct threat.

If we bring price (and impact on a rival) into it then Nasri seems the easy choice because I'm not that fond of the idea of paying a ridiculous fee for Modric.
An excellent summary.

I voted Modric on the basis of his work-rate and defensive nous but would be more than happy with either him or Nasri. When you take into account cost and the likelihood of a move, though, you'd have to say the latter is more likely.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Nasri for me over Modric is the more effective player.

Sneijder I think would be my number one choice, but the Arsenal factor and how funny that would be if we did the unthinkable and signed him pushes Nasri over the edge
I'd love Sneijder and Nasri/Modric. Sneijder has gotta bitta fight about him that we need. I dont mind being greedy & sayin all three would be sweet either :D

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
It's clearly Sneijder. Best player and he can do a fantastic job in CM. The caf's insistence that he can't is more down to knowing that he won't be coming here and so they make themselves feel better.

In reality, the only argument against Sneijder over either of those two is age. And I'd still take Sneijder over those two any day of the week. Who gives a flying feck about transfer fee/wages as long as we're getting the best player?

Won't happen, though. Either of Nasri or Modric would be very good signings also.

phelans shorts

It's clearly Sneijder. Best player and he can do a fantastic job in CM. The caf's insistence that he can't is more down to knowing that he won't be coming here and so they make themselves feel better.

In reality, the only argument against Sneijder over either of those two is age. And I'd still take Sneijder over those two any day of the week. Who gives a flying feck about transfer fee/wages as long as we're getting the best player?

Won't happen, though. Either of Nasri or Modric would be very good signings also.
So you think Sneijder is capable of defending? What about his problems with anaemia, something which is likely to return at some stage?

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
So you think Sneijder is capable of defending? What about his problems with anaemia, something which is likely to return at some stage?

I don't think he's any worse defensively than Scholes has been in the last 5 years (or longer). He's certainly much more mobile and can get around alot better. We have enough midfielders who are capable defensively, that is not what we need. And great as they may be, midfielders without flaws are impossible to find and usually untouchable. Pairing up Sneijder with Carrick/Fletcher/Anderson would be fine.

I have no idea about his anaemia and wouldn't speculate on it as I don't know enough about it.

RedLars

Modric

(I accidentally voted for Nasri, though)

(and Sneijder I don't want, even though I'm the original starter of the ridiculous muppet-thread on him)

O'Sheady

Modric for me, neat and tidy little player. No fuss, shows for the ball then puts it where it needs to be. Just what we need. Woudn't be unhappy with any of them really.

VoetbalWizard

all this rooney in the hole business is well and good, but one thing is for sure..playing him there against barca was suicide before the match, it was proven during the match, and if we play them in the next few years, it'll be suicide again.

There is just no way we can play 2 up top against that lot. It leaves midfield completely overwhelmed.

That said, Sneijder would be the best IMO against barca.

Nasri though is the smartest buy when you take into consideration age, prem experience, flexbility, wages, fees, etc.

modric...no thank you.

Modric would probably do best. He's exactly what we're looking in midfield and already has proven PL class.

Sneijder is the best of the 3 but he does prefer to play in the hole. I'm sure he could handle a pure midfield role though.

Nasri has the most question marks for me. I've always seen him as an attacking midfielder/winger. Fergie must surely have some tactical ideas on how to make the best use of him. His versatility would make him an effective asset in any midfield position. I would never have thought he could be the answer to our midfield but his transfer seems most likely now.