Modric vs Sneijder vs Nasri - a muppet poll

Who would do best at United?

• Total voters

phelans shorts

I'm coming across like I'm on some sort of Sneijder crusade, just to clarify - I would be happy with the acquisition of either Modric or Nasri too, but for me Sneijder is quite simply a level above.

Nasri could develop to a level equal or past Sneijder, but Sneijder is a midfielder who has simply played at the highest level in a variety of the worlds major competitions (in a single year) and hasn't gone missing.

That's what we need, someone who won't go missing.
But what has Sneijder done in the last 11 months? He's struggled with anaemia and hardly performed.

I'm not saying Rene has only said it because Wesley is Dutch, the fact that he eat talking about spending £15m on Stekelenberg who has just signed for a richer club than us for less than half the price. There is no reason to believe that the coaches will know who Fergie is looking at, the players don't know either there's probably only Fergie, Phelan, Gill and the scouting network that actually know, even the scouts won't be certain as they will have watched most of the players for a few years. Rene has given his opinion, last time he did so he got it colossally wrong.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
You answered you're own question, he only managed 25 games or so. When he was fit, he won the treble and got to a world cup final.

Adzzz

Staff

phelans shorts

How can you make assumptions about his lifestyle due to anaemia I have a friend with anaemia who lives a very healthy and active lifestyle and still ended up anaemic. Granted it's not the best, but it is treatable. So questioning his lifestyle is just sheer assumption. Most likely he was burnt out to feck.

Which he admitted:

Wesley Sneijder diagnosed with anaemia after passing out at Inter game | Football | The Guardian
He's an athlete that hasn't taken enough iron, a major part of any athletes diet. It's quite easy to suggest that it's a obvious lifestyle problem, especially when added to the fact that he always had fitness issues, iirc in his first season at Real he started nearly every game an completed 1, obviously not a good sign.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's lots of different causes for anaemia. A poor diet is just one of them.

That said, it is a concern when you see a player apparently burning out from exhaustion, after playing a similar amount of football to what we would expect from most of our key players in any normal season.

VoetbalWizard

Very interesting comparing the results of this poll to the identical one on RI.

I wonder if there is any link between the poll results and demographics of the two forums.

Adzzz

Staff
There's lots of different causes for anaemia. A poor diet is just one of them.

That said, it is a concern when you see a player apparently burning out from exhaustion, after playing a similar amount of football to what we would expect from most of our key players in any normal season.
He played what 55-56 games in the 09-10 Treble/WC year, including major finals of the CL and the World Cup. If anything you'd be fairly emotionally shot, which has an effect on any athletes physical exhaustion.

Pogue Mahone

He played what 55-56 games in the 09-10 Treble/WC year, including major finals of the CL and the World Cup. If anything you'd be fairly emotionally shot, which has an effect on any athletes physical exhaustion.
There's about half a dozen of Barca's first eleven that played an almost identical number of games and they all seemed to cope just fine.

Adzzz

Staff
There's about half a dozen of Barca's first eleven that played an almost identical number of games and they all seemed to cope just fine.
The players who surround Sneijder aren't on parity with those in the Barca line up, much less emphasis on one man at Barca with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi getting in the goals and the creativity, Sneijder couldn't sit back and rest on his laurels, whereas Xavi can let Iniesta do the work for abit and vice versa.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
2010/11
50 games 3 (sub) 14 goals 10 assist (7 games in the WC, 4 ECQ)

2009/10
43 games 3 (sub) 9 goals 12 assist (1 game WCQ)

2008/09
41 games 7 (sub) 7 goals 6 assist (10 games WCQ)

Including Serie A/La liga, CL, WC, WCQ, Ita Cups, Super Cups

Adzzz

Staff
Total domestic appearances? The 09/10 you add an extra 14 for the WC.

Even so, those stats are more than fine.

Pogue Mahone

The players who surround Sneijder aren't on parity with those in the Barca line up, much less emphasis on one man at Barca with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi getting in the goals and the creativity, Sneijder couldn't sit back and rest on his laurels, whereas Xavi can let Iniesta do the work for abit and vice versa.
Not true at all. Barca's players all work their socks off.

In the CL final, Xavi covered more ground than any other player on the pitch iirc, with Iniesta and Messi not far behind.

If anything Sneijder works a bit less hard than the Barca midfield that season, due to Inter's tactics of sitting deep and letting him ping balls over the top for their forwards to run onto. You would never see him getting forwards into the opposition box as much as Iniesta et al.

Adzzz

Staff
Something in the water at La Masia isn't there then? If the criticism that Barca's midfield is better and more hard-working than Sneijder, then fair play, but that's also true of every other midfield (and midfielder) in world football really.

You could use this stick to beat Modric and Nasri with also, however neither have been instrumental in a season as Sneijder has been.

We always tend to see an improvement in fitness levels regardless of the player in question upon coming to United anyway.

7even

Also this is a 33 year old Xavi's first summer off since 2007(:eek:) yet he seems to be coping fine.
Xavi Hernandez

Born 25 jan 1980 (31 years old), 170 cm, 66 kg

2010/11
57 games 7 (sub) 5 goals 14 assist

2009/10
57 games 5 (sub) 6 goals 19 assist

2008/09
73 games 4 (sub) 16 goals 34 assist

His most impressing stats is fouls won/lost. Last season 80 won 9 lost.

Adzzz

Staff
Yep, Buy Xavi, the best midfielder in the world. I definitely agree.

Suedesi

Just looking at midfield threes, which are vital in most of the big games nowadays unless we play Giggs who is a wizard of magic.

Carrick - Fletcher
----Modric------

- Decent creativity from Modric, who is prone to fanny abit, is quite dramatically hyped - he's fecking good no doubt, but c'mon, in excess of 30 million for Luka Modric (Presumably?) - this midfield is still one which can in effect go missing. Remember, the big questions still persist about C and F.

Carrick - Fletcher
-----Nasri-------

- As exciting as Nasri is - with a potential for a fantastic price, he'd be a great addition no doubt, I'm all for signing him, but if you gave me the choice of him or Sneijder. I'd go with the dutchman. This midfield is bullyable, this midfield could be got at.

Carrick - Fletcher
-----Sneidjer----

- With Sneijder providing the creativity and ball possession in the final third we would have a player who is only matched by Xavi and Iniesta. This type of quality and Sneijder's track record indicates our midfield would be MUCH less likely to get bossed around, Carrick in times of filling his underwear due to pressure, can find Wesley who is quite simply, World Class. Perhaps the finest player in his AM role. Sub Fletcher or Carrick out and we can have a fecking good 4-4-2 system too, for more of an attacking or home game.

Ideally, Sneijder is the only players out of the three who would negate our need to buy two midfielders, which I believe we do. And I don't mean Sneijder and Modric, or Nasri. I mean Sneijder or Nasri etc alongside someone like who is a genuine box-to-box player. Perhaps Banega, or M'Vila. Or Hargreaves from four years ago. Buying Sneijder would be more expensive, perhaps (Modric is more unfeasible imho) but we could take the gamble on Fletch and Carrick remembering they have a pair of bollocks and Fletcher getting back to his superb form. Which is my final point.

Fletcher and Carrick back in form with Sneijder infront of them would be sensational. And in saying this, so too to lessering degrees would the other two creative players in this poll.
Spot on

reelworld

Sneijder for me.

To be honest, I find that the negativity whether Sneijder or Nasri can play in midfield two is a little baffling. Player with enough talent and intelligence should be able to play a few metres back, given the right tactics and system. 2 of our best central midfielders of recent time was a converted striker and winger for God sake.

Sneijder would be fantastic here, yes even in a midfield two. For those of you who likened him to Veron, it's a different situation than what we had now. Veron needs to have the play built around him, which is impossible given our midfield already have Keane and Scholes at the peak of their powers. If a 27 year old Veron came into our current midfield we'll be absolutely magnificent.

VoetbalWizard

What are the results and demographics you talk of and what do you think the link might be?
What is being said on RI?
Sneijder is running away with it with 3x the vote of either modric or nasri or 'other'.

I have no clue if there is any link or reasoning to be culled from polls like this.

Demographically RI has a much higher concentration of locals, matchgoers, and lads that do aways.

The only thing I can guess is perhaps lads that go to matches want who will be the most talented right away whereas the caf is reading the question as who is the best for the club long term?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Xavi Hernandez

Born 25 jan 1980 (31 years old), 170 cm, 66 kg

2010/11
57 games 7 (sub) 5 goals 14 assist

2009/10
57 games 5 (sub) 6 goals 19 assist

2008/09
73 games 4 (sub) 16 goals 34 assist

His most impressing stats is fouls won/lost. Last season 80 won 9 lost.
He's a diving cnut then, is that what you're saying Mr 7even? If thats your real name!

7even

He's a diving cnut then, is that what you're saying Mr 7even? If thats your real name!
I dislike Busquets, Alves, Pedro and Co like everybody else. Don't worry. But Xavi is a different case. He maybe fall down easy and sometimes exaggerate things but he's in general a fair player.

Whatever I think he's stats are amazing. He often runs 12-13k meter and deliver more then 250 passes in a game (often more). Xavi is as complete player who have dominate'd his area in every game he has played in the last three seasons. That's fecking mental!

And off course 7even is my real name. What a lame question ;-)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If Sky are to be believed then

Modric = Chelsea
Nasri = City
Sneijder = ???

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Sneijder for me.

To be honest, I find that the negativity whether Sneijder or Nasri can play in midfield two is a little baffling. Player with enough talent and intelligence should be able to play a few metres back, given the right tactics and system. 2 of our best central midfielders of recent time was a converted striker and winger for God sake.
See Gerrard.

He can play central midfield, and can be bloody brilliant there. But he's simply not (and never has been) consistent enough to run the game from there on a regular basis. He's better off playing in a more advanced position where he can focus more on the attacking duties and be more of an impact player instead of the one controlling the entire team around from deeper.

The question is whether Nasri and Sneijder would be able to make that conversion and play just as well consistently as they've shown they can further upfield. They may very well be able to do so. But there's also the risk that they won't.

VoetbalWizard

ah thank feck, looks like the sneijder muppets have logged on to vote to close the gap.

Still have no clue how modric is in the lead...if this poll occured 2 years ago, there would be one vote for him from scholesy and we'd be taking the piss out of him throughout this thread.

Ace

I would obviously prefer Nasri based on age, growth potential, and experience in the league. Let's face it, Nasri has been pretty brilliant in his time in England so far. Doesn't look like Old Trafford is his destination however.

Sneijder's not a bad second option, does anyone really see us signing him? I feel like he's become like a mythical creature (such as a Unicorn or a Karim Benzema) for Manchester United.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I dislike Busquets, Alves, Pedro and Co like everybody else. Don't worry. But Xavi is a different case. He maybe fall down easy and sometimes exaggerate things but he's in general a fair player.

Whatever I think he's stats are amazing. He often runs 12-13k meter and deliver more then 250 passes in a game (often more). Xavi is as complete player who have dominate'd his area in every game he has played in the last three seasons. That's fecking mental!

And off course 7even is my real name. What a lame question ;-)
I was only jokin man. Yeah Xavi is a wicked player, thought we had a good chance of gettin him a few years ago when he stalled on a new contract, but fair play to him not goin just for money!

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
I would obviously prefer Nasri based on age, growth potential, and experience in the league. Let's face it, Nasri has been pretty brilliant in his time in England so far. Doesn't look like Old Trafford is his destination however.

Sneijder's not a bad second option, does anyone really see us signing him? I feel like he's become like a mythical creature (such as a Unicorn or a Karim Benzema) for Manchester United.
Fact of the matter is, we need two top-class midfielders, so why not sign both Sneijder & Nasri... and sneak yer man Banega or M'vila in there aswell :drool:

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
ah thank feck, looks like the sneijder muppets have logged on to vote to close the gap.

Still have no clue how modric is in the lead...if this poll occured 2 years ago, there would be one vote for him from scholesy and we'd be taking the piss out of him throughout this thread.
The whole, can play in a two man midfield is a big factor for me. That's why I reckon Modric is in the lead. From a sheer muppet's perspective, Nasri and Sneijder seem a lot more appealing, but Modric just seems a better fit IMO.