Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Another overpriced player goes to Chelsea. They really like spending a lot for mostly kind of good players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:houllier:

PL FFP is different from UEFA FFP. This year Chelsea don't have to worry about UEFA but next year they will have to comply and the accounting principles will be as per UEFA FFP.

owlo

I'm sure Caicedo would probably do the same given the choice but if I had to guess, the financial package was actually much different. Liverpool don't pay that well anyways unless your name is Klopp or Salah and then Chelsea are offering a 8/9 year deal. That's not to mention Chelsea is also based in London too. So on paper, Chelsea's deal was always much more enticing.
Yea this was my point really. It must be a huge contract to be tied down for 8/9 years, and it largely removes the incentive/motivation for him to keep improving. Whereas a 4/5 year deal with the lure of Madrid/Similar or a bumper contract at the end of it would give ample motivation. It's fun to laugh at Liverpool, but logically you can see why they didn't go for it under these terms. He'll be 29/30 by the end of it, so if it all goes to hell for Chelsea he can just pick up a paycheck and not care. They can't exactly move him on if it goes wrong or he becomes disruptive.

We need a midfielder but I'd be pretty unhappy if we'd signed Caicedo for £115m and 350k a week on a 8 year contract. Would feel like we were just repeating all our old mistakes again.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Games gone…

But for real, long term how do you keep up with clubs like this being able to make multiple 100m or close to transfers.

Least the ashes was fun this summer, hopefully the World Cup will be entertaining in India.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly's project will crash and burn. Their finances are fecked. The squad isn't even that good for the all the insane spending and this 'clever' 8 year contract nonsense. The fact that they've included a sell-on clause in a £115m deal is absolute madness. The whole thing is bizarre in the extreme.
Their finances are “fecked” eh?

The arm of Clearlake related to investment in sporting and entertainment are always accepting new investment from vetted, non-public funds. The truly inept English media made this out as desperation looking for money for transfers; no.

Clearlake just dropped 700m on the Canary Wharf development. The are inviting in other parties to do nothing short of owning and transforming that area of London. They have vision much larger in scale than just owning Chelsea.

Their finances are fine. They are extremely smart and good with money, especially as it pertains to sporting activities and caps.

THEY found the irregularities from more than a decade ago under Abramovich. They were minor things, and the way the seizure and sale of the the club happened they have no chance of facing penalties for this, but the interesting thing is the regulatory authorities didn’t understand what was wrong even after it was shown to them… it had to be explained.

They have already set aside the first part of the 850 m related to the stadium in a special separate account.

They have their French club, and will soon have a Portugal club to start filling out their talent development umbrella.

Chelsea was already light years ahead of other PL teams in terms of making money off player development and sales… and even then Clearlake looked at it and thought it was haphazard and way underleveraged.

They have a setup to handle “flops” and the financial terms of the different contracts reflect that. They also have insurance that covers catastrophic loss (see: Fofana). I saw some people saying “well, one person gets hurt and they are broke, done!”

Doesn’t work that way.

If Chalobah and Gallagher move on this year we might even spend MORE this window… pretty easily actually.

And if they don’t work out we have the most talented young players in the world (see: Cesarean Casadei; Golden Ball winner from U21 Euros) 3 and 4 deep at every position spread out in our growing system to take those spots OR to make even more profit as we develop them Into high earning pros for other teams.

A misconception is that every one of these talents is being sold just on the idea of playing for Chelsea. No. We can sell a superior structure led by people with track records for developing young players into high earning professionals.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Yea this was my point really. It must be a huge contract to be tied down for 8/9 years, and it largely removes the incentive/motivation for him to keep improving. Whereas a 4/5 year deal with the lure of Madrid/Similar or a bumper contract at the end of it would give ample motivation. It's fun to laugh at Liverpool, but logically you can see why they didn't go for it under these terms. He'll be 29/30 by the end of it, so if it all goes to hell for Chelsea he can just pick up a paycheck and not care. They can't exactly move him on if it goes wrong or he becomes disruptive.

We need a midfielder but I'd be pretty unhappy if we'd signed Caicedo for £115m and 350k a week on a 8 year contract. Would feel like we were just repeating all our old mistakes again.
Caicedo is unlikely to be making that much, and you do NOT have to do such a thing to get people to sign contracts like this. It’s about the terms, and incentives. Say… he gets an automatic renegotiation of his contract triggered if he had over a certain number of starts after 3 years… that sort of thing. From what I understand, ALL of Chelsea’s newer contracts are heavily performance influenced. They also hired sport psychologist experts specifically related to team dynamics and profile scouting to avoid the types of players that … lose motivation easily. Do you think money ever slowed down Ronaldo’s desire to win?

BUT, even if you signed him for that large a wage. Say you did that, simple, guaranteed. The player would demand to rework it. History, like with the Scottie Pippen contract, shows that inflation, sports inflation, and more money coming into a league only makes those deals friendly to teams. They could find themselves the 15 th highest paid player on their team 4 years from now. There are important Renegotiations for the PL rights coming up in 24/25 that should shatter previous money marks as ratings in the US have soared. The money going around will skyrocket. The deal the PL is on right now is less than the one a single US college conference got … the PL is set to boom.

A this and a million other factors are in play.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Another overpriced player goes to Chelsea. They really like spending a lot for mostly kind of good players.
You know what’s even crazier? Paying our players what’s on their contracts after we’ve bought them. We are downright looney!

flappyjay

We’ll be slipping into Brighton / Spurs tier in no time we can’t compete with this spending along with City , Toon, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool all able to spend 100m on a single player.

We’ve never spent that and never will under glazers or INEOS
We spent close to that on Pogba before the Neymar inflation.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I am not sure what kind of agreement that Chelsea has for such a long period. What if the player get injured like Martial, playing 10-20 games per season or a career ending injury. Does it mean they have their XI sorted out in the next 6-7 season? Just weird to see such a long contract put in place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Games gone…

But for real, long term how do you keep up with clubs like this being able to make multiple 100m or close to transfers.

Least the ashes was fun this summer, hopefully the World Cup will be entertaining in India.
If they’re well run like City are then there’s little you / we can do. With Chelsea and how they’d run through, both our clubs can finish ahead of them again this season.

dinostar77

Wow £115mil and they even got a sell-on fee clause inserted. Either Brighton negoitating team are superb or chelseas are incompetent.

RoyH1

If they’re well run like City are then there’s little you / we can do. With Chelsea and how they’d run through, both our clubs can finish ahead of them again this season.
It helps when all your big marketing contracts are out of market value at the point of signing and by companies with strong interests related to your owner. Something we don't have.

cyberman

Games gone…

They’re only doing this because they’re not in Europe.
Apparently only UEFA closed the amortisation loophole. Plus it’s hard to cry since a successful Caciedo bid for you lot would have you touching a 300m spend within the last 7 months

ZainCRse7en

How is Chelsea able to afford all these deals? That's three 100+ million players in their squad now. Surely this is the most expensive squad ever assembled in world football? And they are able to do that without being in Europe? Is Todd a genius or the FA just incompetent with their FFP rules?

Regardless, if they do indeed pull this off...a midfield of Lavia-Caicedo-Enzo is gonna dominate the league for years.

Kilmonger

Supports
Chelsea

Except almost every new contract that has been given to players under Boehly has a low/reasonable base with performance/success related bonuses/pay rises added on to it. So say a player starts off at 130k/week, if they score 20 goals in a season, it goes up to 170k/week. If they win the league, it might reach 200. If they win the CL, it might reach 230. It's not exactly as I've said it, just giving an example. I think the only recent signings that was given a straight up huge contract pay-wise is Sterling. It has seriously slashed our wage bill. Letting go of players like Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho and co have further slashed it too, creating more room to play around with the figures for the new signings (Lukaku - huge wage bill, Ziyech, CHO and co will also leave before the window closes).

Boehly and Clearlake are definitely being insanely bold with their strategy but none of us have the luxury of being able to tell whether or not it'll work. It'll either being a stroke of absolute genius or a collosal failure. I don't think there will be any in-between.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
You know what’s even crazier? Paying our players what’s on their contracts after we’ve bought them. We are downright looney!
With money coming from the outside it's not a problem to pay anything. What's crazy is how little you've won after 20 years of financial doping.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
With money coming from the outside it's not a problem to pay anything. What's crazy is how little you've won after 20 years of financial doping.
Well we aren't paid referees for winning matches though. That's some saint thing to do for more than a club a corrupt institution perhaps. :lol:

GledTheRed

Brighton are seemingly buying Carlos Baleba ro replace him, i can only presume we'll be after him next summer for 90 million.

Why is nobody else in for him at 14 million quid?

Alemar

Why is nobody else in for him at 14 million quid?
Probably because he is not YET ready to be a starter for teams who might come for him at 90m next season.

He may drastically improve after a season in the starting XI, but who can give him that? Brighton can

Perseus

I mean... Brighton never accepted any Chelsea deal at any point before. They could have rejected anything below the Liverpool one (And Chelsea might not be privy the exact structure of that competing bid) on very reasonable grounds.

I guess CFC could have hardballed to a lower offer and have Caicedo go full agitation to force Brighton's hand, but considering how much business they're doing with them it's maybe not the best idea to burn bridges.
There are complicated rules to prevent this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Re: Groß I assume you mean playing in the double pivot? I only ask, because Groß has been one of the most consistently high performing midfielders in the league. Here’s his FB ref from midfield and right back (either at #10 or in the double pivot):

https://fbref.com/en/players/8aec0537/Pascal-Gross

As you can see, his stats are phenomenal, he is rarely injured and can play right back, left back, and anywhere in midfield. But he isn’t a ball-winning tackler like Caicedo.
Yeah I meant having him and Dahoud in midfield is probably not ideal. Apparently they are signing a young DM from Lille so seems like they got this sorted before that player inevitably leaves for £130m in two years time.

RuudTom83

Games gone…

So far Boehly's money has only managed to achieve a 12th place finish.

Add to that only 11 players can play at one time no matter how much he spends. So let the man spend spend spend...get it out of his system!

I recon he will become bored before Chelsea manage to win anything meaningful again.

MinGin

Hope it goes tits up for Chelsea. But after a billion spent, I feel they will finally start getting good. Their midfield is now excellent.
Maybe still a bit light in attack though.
Would love if we had owners with their kind of money. It surely can’t be sustainable though.
It is not necessary for the money from owners, just give Manutd's money back to Manutd's pocket and we can compete with other teams.

pascell

Apart from Chelsea, i dont see any other team spending that lavishly.

Chelsea spending in last year has been insane though.
How can you say United haven't spent lavishly this summer?

Once City buy Paqueta they'll have dropped more than £80m on two different players.

Arsenal spent £100m on Rice.

Newcastle have spent big on Tonali and added Livramento and Barnes for £30-40m each too.

Spurs will likely splash the Kane money soon enough too.

Every of the top 6 teams will have spent £100m+, which other league in the world can say their top 6 teams have spent that much?

Fully Fledged

I don't understand why they didn't try their hand at getting Kane if they had this kind of money to spend. Seems odd not going for a position that was a significant problem for them last season.

Haven't they signed like a million midfielders since Boehly took over already?
Spurs weren't selling to one of the EPL top 6 when they could sell to Bayern.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Yeah I meant having him and Dahoud in midfield is probably not ideal. Apparently they are signing a young DM from Lille so seems like they got this sorted before that player inevitably leaves for £130m in two years time.
Very true. I agreed with your original point by the way, we could do with a like for like replacement of quality, obviously not going to be at Moises’ level though. Just wanted to defend Groß who is one of the best midfielders in the league. If he had pace he’d be winning medals with top clubs.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Was probably one of the rare ones that didn't mind him at Liverpool so much simply because I don't think Caicedo - Mac Allister - Szoboszlai (Jesus, I thought Mkhitaryan is a fecked up name) can be an elite midfield unit. A lot would depend on that Szobozo guy and even if he would hit the ground running I don't think Mac Allister is, or will ever be, a world-class player. On the other hand, I could see Enzo - Caicedo getting along like a house on fire. Both of them in their early 20's as well.
Thankfully, the other pieces are questionable or too young as well, but always thought that midfield base is the most important part of the team, so this is finally a move in the right direction for Chelsea. Well done after spending around 900 million I guess.

Him fecking off Liverpool will never not be funny, so well played.

Oh, and absolutely smashing business by Brighton.

The arm of Clearlake related to investment in sporting and entertainment are always accepting new investment from vetted, non-public funds. The truly inept English media made this out as desperation looking for money for transfers; no.

Clearlake just dropped 700m on the Canary Wharf development. The are inviting in other parties to do nothing short of owning and transforming that area of London. They have vision much larger in scale than just owning Chelsea.

Their finances are fine. They are extremely smart and good with money, especially as it pertains to sporting activities and caps.

THEY found the irregularities from more than a decade ago under Abramovich. They were minor things, and the way the seizure and sale of the the club happened they have no chance of facing penalties for this, but the interesting thing is the regulatory authorities didn’t understand what was wrong even after it was shown to them… it had to be explained.

They have already set aside the first part of the 850 m related to the stadium in a special separate account.

They have their French club, and will soon have a Portugal club to start filling out their talent development umbrella.

Chelsea was already light years ahead of other PL teams in terms of making money off player development and sales… and even then Clearlake looked at it and thought it was haphazard and way underleveraged.

They have a setup to handle “flops” and the financial terms of the different contracts reflect that. They also have insurance that covers catastrophic loss (see: Fofana). I saw some people saying “well, one person gets hurt and they are broke, done!”

Doesn’t work that way.

If Chalobah and Gallagher move on this year we might even spend MORE this window… pretty easily actually.

And if they don’t work out we have the most talented young players in the world (see: Cesarean Casadei; Golden Ball winner from U21 Euros) 3 and 4 deep at every position spread out in our growing system to take those spots OR to make even more profit as we develop them Into high earning pros for other teams.

A misconception is that every one of these talents is being sold just on the idea of playing for Chelsea. No. We can sell a superior structure led by people with track records for developing young players into high earning professionals.
Ffs, you are back. With Amadeus Pochettino verbal diarrhea, the only thing missing was your Boehly/Clearlake fairy tales. Strange how you went missing in the 2nd part of last season when all went tits up, eh?

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Well we aren't paid referees for winning matches though. That's some saint thing to do for more than a club a corrupt institution perhaps. :lol:
If it's about the Negreira case there has been 0 evidence of referee corruption. Barca is going to be declared inocent.

But like I said, Chelsea pays so much for any player that is kind of good that even with financial doping for longer they have won less than Manchester City. Even when cheating you need to do it with a plan.

Redfrog

Doesn’t work that way.

What are you describing must excite you as hell. I am happy for you that you are enjoying this corrupted world. But you’re a Chelsea fan after all.

Anyway, you can’t hide the fact, your club’s strategy was the most monumental and laughable sportive farce last year. No spouting can hide that fact. Just hope it continues.

Supports
Chelsea
It rarely works like that in football, does it ?
It sometimes goes along the lines of:
  • Very good player signs a 5 year contract
  • Player gets progressively better every season
  • By season 3 they are at a world class level with only 2 years left on their contract
  • Real Madrid declare interest, leaving said team in difficult position with the contract situation
  • Player either runs down contract or leaves for a reduced fee

Amarsdd

• By season 3 they are at a world class level with only 2 years left on their contract
  • Real Madrid declare interest, leaving said team in difficult position with the contract situation
But majority of the time its:
  • Player gets progressively worse every season either due to injuries or not fitting the system or just not actually being good and was overrated
  • By season 3, they are at average or below average level, the club has signed someone else to replace him and are looking to offload him as only 2 years left on their contract
  • The club doesn't get a good enough offer to sell or the player doesn't get the wages matching or bettering their current contract
  • Player either runs down their contract sitting on the bench or sent out on loans till their contract end

SAFMUTD

[

It rarely works like that in football, does it ?
I need more information about those contracts to decide weather it's a good or bad idea. Are the wages fixed? do they increase year by year?

If fixed it would be incredibly stupid from the players part to accept it as those wages will be peanuts by the end of the contract unless the wages are incredibly high right now which would be stupid from the clubs side. The club risks having players who flop under contract for so long, while the player gives away almost all his bargaining power. Of course no one wants to have an unhappy player but trying to force a move out of the club while still having 6-7 years of contract would be extremely hard.

At the end of the day I think it all depend on the wages structure settle so determine if its a good move or not for the club/player.

SAFMUTD

In that case it'd be seen as a good call from the club. But how often does that happen? I mean Chelsea is giving 8+ year contracts to almost every single signing chances are the great majority of them wont attract Madrid's interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.