Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxquux

Said this earlier in the general transfer twitter thread but why oh why would you not insist upon a release clause? Brighton aren't Spurs, and there's still that implicit acknowledgement when a player signs for them that they'll let him go, but for an extension to 4+ years remaining, and presumably harbouring ambitions to still play for United at some point, why not have your team negotiate a Cucurella-numbers get-out clause, even if it costs you 5-10% less in basic salary for the next few months or until 2024?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Said this earlier in the general transfer twitter thread but why oh why would you not insist upon a release clause? Brighton aren't Spurs, and there's still that implicit acknowledgement when a player signs for them that they'll let him go, but for an extension to 4+ years remaining, and presumably harbouring ambitions to still play for United at some point, why not have your team negotiate a Cucurella-numbers get-out clause, even if it costs you 5-10% less in basic salary for the next few months or until 2024?
Which is the point I was making previously. My mind boggles when highly rated young players sign new contracts when the big teams are sniffing around. Take less now. Get a big signing on fee to compensate

luke511

A must buy in the summer, or someone of his level at least. It's hugely important we don't go cheap on a second CDM option this summer, has to be treated like last season going off how badly we play without Casemiro.

Perseus

A must buy in the summer, or someone of his level at least. It's hugely important we don't go cheap on a second CDM option this summer, has to be treated like last season going off how badly we play without Casemiro.
How much more than the current world record transfer fee?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Disagree. No team spends huge on two DMs. If we are spending big in midfield it should be on a playmaker. Backup DM can be a cheaper signing instead.

luke511

Disagree. No team spends huge on two DMs. If we are spending big in midfield it should be on a playmaker. Backup DM can be a cheaper signing instead.
Of course they do if it’s necessary. It’s arguably the most important position and seeing how badly we crumble without a top quality one why go cheap on the rotation option? May as well get a player that is all rounded and talented enough to play both 6 and 8 like Caicedo.

croadyman

Of course they do if it’s necessary. It’s arguably the most important position and seeing how badly we crumble without a top quality one why go cheap on the rotation option? May as well get a player that is all rounded and talented enough to play both 6 and 8 like Caicedo.
We still need another midfielder

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Caicedo would be us locking down our dm spot for many years so while that outlay might feel like a bit much when we still have prime Casemiro, it'd be absolutely worth it long term. He's also not just a dm, he is a complete midfielder. Had a Scholes like chip pass to create a chance in the Brighton Brentford game that was ridiculous. Someone who can just be slotted into any midfield and be versatile but also quality is exactly what we need. Bonus is he's young, prem proven and a united fan.

croadyman

I’m not saying we don’t need a deep lying playmaker to rotate with Eriksen (even though we have Mainoo, Mejbri and Iqbal all waiting to break through..)
All of them have potential but we still need to sign someone to rotate with Eriksen depending on the type of opponent we face

croadyman

Caicedo would be us locking down our dm spot for many years so while that outlay might feel like a bit much when we still have prime Casemiro, it'd be absolutely worth it long term. He's also not just a dm, he is a complete midfielder. Had a Scholes like chip pass to create a chance in the Brighton Brentford game that was ridiculous. Someone who can just be slotted into any midfield and be versatile but also quality is exactly what we need. Bonus is he's young, prem proven and a united fan.
What are his passing stats like?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Does that not say we need more of playmaker
We need two cms no matter what . I'd go for guaranteed quality over nit picking the exact type of midfielder we need. Caicedo is good enough to start for us most and I'd be happy with him and Casemiro as the base of our midfield.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We need two cms no matter what . I'd go for guaranteed quality over nit picking the exact type of midfielder we need. Caicedo is good enough to start for us most and I'd be happy with him and Casemiro as the base of our midfield.
Depends on how much you can spend.

Caicedo isn't going anywhere for less than 75M, if the rumours about a striker are true, then Kane is likely to cost similar and Osimhen even more, ETH has hinted you'll be getting a goalkeeper as well.

So unless you're going full Chelsea in the summer Caicedo might be out of reach.

Real Name

Depends on how much you can spend.

Caicedo isn't going anywhere for less than 75M, if the rumours about a striker are true, then Kane is likely to cost similar and Osimhen even more, ETH has hinted you'll be getting a goalkeeper as well.

So unless you're going full Chelsea in the summer Caicedo might be out of reach.
He did?

Marcus

Agreed that we need great CDMs.

mu4c_20le

75m. We should go back for Frenkie at that price. Barca will snap our hands off as it will go half way towards getting them out of ffp jail

ZH1

We have a number 6 so we won't be buying another big money number 6. We may sign a Frenkie who can play at 6 and 8 or a number 6 who can play as a squad player.

Anyone making the argument that you sign caicedo is deluded, you can only afford to have 1 world class number 6 because no world class player is going to accept sitting on the bench and it is a position you don't often rotate. City have 1 number 6 in Rodri, Liverpool have Fabinho, Arsenal have Partey, Barca have Busquets, Madrid have Tchoumeni.

No one can afford to spend £150m+ on two number 6's.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I actually think the exact type is crucial. That we haven’t cared enough for it is our biggest problem. Let’s nit pick more.

luke511

We have a number 6 so we won't be buying another big money number 6. We may sign a Frenkie who can play at 6 and 8 or a number 6 who can play as a squad player.

Anyone making the argument that you sign caicedo is deluded, you can only afford to have 1 world class number 6 because no world class player is going to accept sitting on the bench and it is a position you don't often rotate. City have 1 number 6 in Rodri, Liverpool have Fabinho, Arsenal have Partey, Barca have Busquets, Madrid have Tchoumeni.

No one can afford to spend £150m+ on two number 6's.
Madrid have Tchouameni and Camavinga, Barca have Busquets, Kessie and even De Jong as a 6 option, Arsenal tried to sign Caicedo this January as Partey is in and out of the first XI as much as Casemiro has been for us this season. Liverpool are also rumoured to want him too. It isn't deluded at all. It is possible for Casemiro and Caicedo to play in the same midfield as well, especially with the nature of Bruno liking to float about like a forward, having that solid double pivot in front of the defence will be needed against certain opposition. You're getting 10 years at least so the value is definitely there, he should be at the top of the list alongside a new striker.

ZH1

Madrid have Tchouameni and Camavinga, Barca have Busquets, Kessie and even De Jong as a 6 option, Arsenal tried to sign Caicedo this January as Partey is in and out of the first XI as much as Casemiro has been for us this season. Liverpool are also rumoured to want him too. It isn't deluded at all. It is possible for Casemiro and Caicedo to play in the same midfield as well, especially with the nature of Bruno liking to float about like a forward, having that solid double pivot in front of the defence will be needed against certain opposition. You're getting 10 years at least so the value is definitely there, he should be at the top of the list alongside a new striker.
Camavinga is not a 6, he is a 8, a box to box midfielder.

Kessie is not a 6, he is a 8, a box to box midfielder.

Frenkie's preferred position is a number 6 but he plays as a 8 for Barca, and fills in for Busquets when he is injured.

Arsenal tried yes, but once it wasn't feasible they spent £15m on a squad playing 6.

We have Casemiro, Eriksen, Fred, Mctominnay, Donny and Fernandes. We play with one pivot, we've been critical of how we have hated a double pivot for the last 5 years and now after 6 months you want to go back to one.

We need a 6 who can play as a 8, which Caicedo can't, or 6 who is happy to play second fiddle to Casemiro, which Caicedo won't be.

luke511

Frenkie's preferred position is a number 6 but he plays as a 8 for Barca, and fills in for Busquets when he is injured.

Arsenal tried yes, but once it wasn't feasible they spent £15m on a squad playing 6.

We have Casemiro, Eriksen, Fred, Mctominnay, Donny and Fernandes. We play with one pivot, we've been critical of how we have hated a double pivot for the last 5 years and now after 6 months you want to go back to one.

We need a 6 who can play as a 8, which Caicedo can't, or 6 who is happy to play second fiddle to Casemiro, which Caicedo won't be.
Camavinga is a 6 as well as an 8, he's played as a 6 for Real Madrid, Kessie also played as a 6 for AC Milan plenty of times. Arsenal bid as high as £70 million for him so yeah, your point doesn't apply there. Out of that list of utd midfielders only one can play competently as a 6, the rest are 8 or 10s. Caicedo can play as an 8 :confused: have you watched him before? How do you know he wouldn't be happy with a rotation role at first? He supports Man Utd and is only 21 years old, he could easily get 30 games here in his first season and that's only going to increase given Casemiro's age. fecking McTominay is on 33 appearances already this season and that's with Casemiro.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Watched highlights.

Is he a CDM? If he is then how did he do defensively to let in 3 goals?

People seem to love his passing or technical ability more.

luke511

Also we only hated the double pivot because it was McFred occupying it constantly. Neither of them being good 6s.

InfiniteBoredom

Watched highlights.

Is he a CDM? If he is then how did he do defensively to let in 3 goals?

People seem to love his passing or technical ability more.
Is Rice a CDM? If he is then how dis he do defensively to let in 3 goals (against us)?

I don’t even have much of an opinion on Caicedo but this line of questioning is dumb as feck.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is Rice a CDM? If he is then how dis he do defensively to let in 3 goals (against us)?

I don’t even have much of an opinion on Caicedo but this line of questioning is dumb as feck.
:lol:

RuudTom83

70 million is a crazy price for him...United just need a capable holding midfielder to cover for when Casemiro sees Red.

luke511

70 million is a crazy price for him...United just need a capable holding midfielder to cover for when Casemiro sees Red.
It isn't when he can replace McTominay and Fred as a back up 6/combative 8 in one swoop. The amount of points dropped when Casemiro isn't playing shows his potential worth. The logic is if he isn't good enough to start for us regularly than we shouldn't be buying them as a back up, Schneiderlein is a perfect example of that. Therefore we'll have to spend £40 million at least, in that case we may as well go the extra mile and get someone as good as Caicedo.

InfiniteBoredom

Fred cost 50m in 2018, it’s just the going rate nowadays unfortunately. Didn’t Morgan Gibbs-White go for sth like £45m last summer?

The main concern I have with any midfielder we’d be buying isn’t the price, but how technically sound they are. Even for a DM, if you can’t pass the ball further than 5 meters and isn’t press-resistant then that is a big problem, specifically in our set up, because we won’t sell Bruno anytime soon and our forwards aren’t great with ball retention (bar Antony - but he has other issues, and Martial whose future is in major doubt). From what I’ve seen of Caicedo, he’s fairly secure with the ball but I wouldn’t say he’s nifty/agile in the sense that he can beat the presser and plays the ball forward in the same motion, and his passing is fairly limited. Again, this is from a very small sample size of maybe 5 matches, so it might just be that I caught him on a bad day(s), but that’s the impression.

Bebestation

Oh very angry for a genuine question I wanted to ask!
Sorry to hurt your feelings over some player I wanted to know about & how he did defensively/did he make mistakes etc because people are talking about his chipped pass most.

You clearly remember me and the players I like more than I remember you!

Glad that’s the case:D

Last edited:

gajender

United doesn't require CDM back up per say but a player who is comfortable enough to play deeper in Casemiro's absence .

This would be less of an issue once United get a proper high quality no 8 as it would allow Eriksen to be deployed as the deepest midfielder if Casemiro isn't available not the ideal solution but should work well enough against most teams .

InfiniteBoredom

Oh very angry for a genuine question I wanted to ask!
Sorry to hurt your feelings over some player I wanted to know about & how he did defensively/did he make mistakes etc!

You clearly remember me and the players I like more than I remember you!
More amused really, you are a one man comedy act on this forum with your obsession with a bang average player. Being remembered as a sort of class clown isn’t good fyi.

And actually watching a player if you want to know about him is better than highlights and ask for others opinion, with a preconceived notion(false one also, because most people praised him for being a good tackler/defensive workrate, so no idea where the technical stuff came from), it’s not as if he’s playing somewhere where match footage isn’t readily available.

RuudTom83

It isn't when he can replace McTominay and Fred as a back up 6/combative 8 in one swoop. The amount of points dropped when Casemiro isn't playing shows his potential worth. The logic is if he isn't good enough to start for us regularly than we shouldn't be buying them as a back up, Schneiderlein is a perfect example of that. Therefore we'll have to spend £40 million at least, in that case we may as well go the extra mile and get someone as good as Caicedo.
I'm fairly realistic when it comes to signings...CF being top priority in the summer on a limited budget, I just don't see Caicedo in the starting eleven! and would rather save those pounds to upgrade the GK.

Plus the choice is never as limited as Caicedo for 70 mil or Schneiderlein for 40 mil.

But I get your argument/point.

Bebestation

More amused really, you are a one man comedy act on this forum with your obsession with a bang average player. Being remembered as a sort of class clown isn’t good fyi.

And actually watching a player if you want to know about him is better than highlights and ask for others opinion, with a preconceived notion(false one also, because most people praised him for being a good tackler/defensive workrate, so no idea where the technical stuff came from), it’s not as if he’s playing somewhere where match footage isn’t readily available.

Yes because you never liked bang average players ;)

He’ll have to take a substantial wage cut and I don’t think a player his age would want to do that.

Next season if we hopefully get Sancho or a bright right wing attacker, I wouldn’t be averse to not getting a striker and give more minutes to Greenwood as no.9. If we manage to flog Lingard, Mata etc... then another striker is a must, but I don’t think we’ll be able to so we still have to use them somehow and 6 players for 3 starting positions is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.