Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

the hea

I love Caicedo he's one of the biggest prospects in world football today but I just can't see a midfield of him Casemiro and Bruno being a good fit for us. Our main struggle last season was creating goalscoring opportunities and I don't see how Caicedo solves that. We need a midfielder who can take some of the burden off Bruno when it comes to creativity, with only one creative midfielder we are way to one dimensional when attacking.

caid

I love Caicedo he's one of the biggest prospects in world football today but I just can't see a midfield of him Casemiro and Bruno being a good fit for us. Our main struggle last season was creating goalscoring opportunities and I don't see how Caicedo solves that. We need a midfielder who can take some of the burden off Bruno when it comes to creativity, with only one creative midfielder we are way to one dimensional when attacking.
Bring in Eriksen and play Bruno wide right. Or push shaw further forward. Or get a striker and grind out wins. We wont be the finished article next year whichever way you go.

gajender

I see your point but Brighton doesn't struggle to progress the ball from the middle. They don't exactly have any great ball carriers in their midfield.
They didn't have great ball carriers in the Midfield but they all were serviceable atleast while ours Current options are actually mediocre if we are being generous , adding another one who is average in that department doesn't move the needle for me .

But having said that If Ten Hag does bring him in as Primary Midfield addition then he might have something up his sleeve to compensate for midfields limitations .

Jacob

Antony was supposed to do that. We have three attackers that fail to create. The problem lies in attack not midfield.

OrcaFat

Antony was supposed to do that. We have three attackers that fail to create. The problem lies in attack not midfield.
I’m afraid the “problem” lies everywhere, from keeper to striker.

OrcaFat

We're one injury (or run of suspensions) to Casemiro away from the Groundhog Day of the last few seasons. Not only does Caicedo cover that eventuality, he also slots into midfield alongside the Brazilian; he also affords the flexibility to approach different opponents with varying applications, be that pressing, sitting, stifling - it's a veritable mix of eclectic optioning and something we sorely lack as a collective with our single point failure before being reduced to McFred, yet again.

One might argue that a deep-lying playmaker and elite ball-carrier, such as FDJ is the optimal player, but they barely exist and ideally, we'd have both a Caciedo and a player of that ilk ably rotating in and out of the team ala Madrid or City.

Fact is, we have gaping holes in midfield and need two bodies there not one. Caicedo would kill multiple birds with one stone, and we need that profile of multifunctional player desperately.

The other issue is that Caicedo would preserve Casemiro's legs and potentially eke more time at the pinnacle for the Brazilian via us not overplaying and fatiguing him. No other player profile benefits Casemiro in that way (grafting and running for him/the team) even if the deep playmaker type assuages a different set of issues and has the ball do more of the work... think of these types together as a dual engine; over a full campaign they have the potential to be huge assets for one another both in terms of fielding at the same time as well as in rotation.
Yes. I only hope there is a plan to inject the creative / technical qualities we got from Eriksen early season. Mount was going to do that with stamina to burn and Caicedo is not similar. Regardless, there is plenty of sense to getting Caicedo but he, alone, won’t complete the picture.

I’m still hoping our back-up plan to Mount is Caicedo plus promotion of Hannibal to share minutes with Eriksen.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Moises Caicedo is the direct replacement for Kante. With both Jorginho and Kovacic gone, I don't think Chelsea can afford not getting him.

He is much more important to them than to us. They play a double pivot formation more consistently than any other top English team.

Do we really want to go to a bidding war with Chelsea over Caicedo? Will we win the bidding war? If we win the bidding war, we strengthen ourselves significantly and avoid a direct rival from improving, particularly if they're stuck with a sulking Mount (albeit in a slightly different position).
Chelsea have Enzo Fernandez as the midfield Marshall, we need Caicedo more than them even though we have Casemiro we struggled without him last season, Fred and McT aren’t consistent enough to be trusted as cover.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Caicedo over Mount for me. The new Kanté. A Casemiro/Caicedo double-pivot would be a brilliant foundation for a team to go forward from.
The pursuit of Mount as a first choice to me, suggests Ten Hag would like to move from a double-pivot.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
One journo was saying we had a specific budget in mind for Mount which would ensure our budget for a CF is untouched, which I could believe. But with that in mind, there's no way we'd then move on to Caicedo, who will cost considerably more, will not be a quick purchase, and will probably end in a bidding war with other clubs. It will definitely be a tougher deal than the Mount one.

Ask yourself, why would we bid more for our backup option? It makes zero sense.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen, in my opinion.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It's frustrating that no matter what we want or think we need more, it's not us lot making the decisions.

I think we need Caicedo more than we need Mount if we had to pick, although both would be fantastic.
When Casemiro is out of the team, or having an off day, we really feel it on the pitch. Caicedo gives us that option that we don't currently have, but could easily play together in a two man midfield.

For now, Mount has the legs that Eriksen doesn't have, but we could integrate Hannibal or Mainoo for a year and see how it goes. Yes Mount would be better than the ones mentioned right now, but Caicedo does make more sense.

He'll cost more, it'll affect our budget more, of course, but we have players to sell, in abundance. Sure we may find it hard to get rid, but even at cut prices, the wages we will clear on top of everything else would be massive.
De Gea, Jones, Bailly, Telles, Maguire, Fred, McTominay, Ronaldo.
If we want to afford it, we could afford it

reddev3

My only sight worry is...has anyone ever been brilliant after leaving Brighton? Or Southampton before them who werev sort of the Brighton before Brighton.
Walcott, Bale, Mane, Van Dijk. This is also the first time Brighton have been at this level and had world class talents.

arthurka

This club is run by idiots, buying this guy who is great btw for 70m when he was available to us for couple of millions less than two years ago.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

Yes. I only hope there is a plan to inject the creative / technical qualities we got from Eriksen early season. Mount was going to do that with stamina to burn and Caicedo is not similar. Regardless, there is plenty of sense to getting Caicedo but he, alone, won’t complete the picture.

I’m still hoping our back-up plan to Mount is Caicedo plus promotion of Hannibal to share minutes with Eriksen.
Except Mount is not that creative though. He has lot of energy to burn and he presses well, but creativity is not one of his strengths. Erikson is better in that department.
I also think Caicedo and Casemiro can play together fairly well. Look at Liverpool midfield 2 seasons ago. They had wijnaldum, Henderson, and ferbinho. None of them are creative, but they used to boss the midfield against most opponents. Their creativity came from their full backs.
If united are to play Caicedo and Casemiro together, they need better full backs, who are very creative, can attack and have lot of energy to burn. ETH will need to shift his tactics and attack opponents through the wings, ala klopp with Robertson and Arnold.

Reactions: Sultan

OrcaFat

This club is run by idiots, buying this guy who is great btw for 70m when he was available to us for couple of millions less than two years ago.
I think we tried to get him but he went to Brighton for “guaranteed” starts.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The pursuit of Mount as a first choice to me, suggests Ten Hag would like to move from a double-pivot.
The pursuit of Caciedo as an alternative to me, suggests Ten Hag is amenable to playing either type of system.

We haven’t played a double-pivot much this season, anyway. Bruno has played far from a proper no.10

the hea

That is exactly why I think we need to bring in a more creative midfielder, we don't have enough creativity in the other positions.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we going to buy Caicedo and play double pivot, we will probably going to need more creativity upfront to balance it up. Expect Bruno moving to the right with Erikson in the middle.

Caicedo Casemiro
Bruno Erikson Garnacho
Rashford​

CM

If we going to buy Caicedo and play double pivot, we will probably going to need more creativity upfront to balance it up. Expect Bruno moving to the right with Erikson in the middle.

Caicedo Casemiro
Bruno Erikson Garnacho
Rashford​
Or the more sensible option of playing one of Antony or Amad on the right, with Bruno through the middle in his best role.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Caicedo Casemiro
Bruno Erikson Garnacho
Rashford​
Any solution that has ETH's favoured £82m RW dropped from the starting eleven just isn't going to happen. There's been absolutely zero indication ETH is dissatisfied with Antony or views him as anything less than a nailed on starter.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The pursuit of Caciedo as an alternative to me, suggests Ten Hag is amenable to playing either type of system.

We haven’t played a double-pivot much this season, anyway. Bruno has played far from a proper no.10
Personally, I would think it’s best for everyone if we signed Ten Hag’s preferred targets, if it’s possible.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I dont think we will bid for him. ETH wants more goals, how many goals will Caicedo? Mount is always 1st priority and I don't think Casemiro will be getting ban next season. He probably learn a lesson in his first year. Caicedo is a Luxury signing since we have so many gaps in our XI. Hopefully there are new emerging appearing 2023-24 season which we start planning for Casemiro back up.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Caicedo Casemiro
Bruno Erikson Garnacho
Rashford​
Eriksen isn’t that good in CAM anymore. He’s better deeper where he can dictate play. The player who plays in AM has to have energy aswell to trackback like Bruno does when he plays there. Also can’t see us spending 80m on Caicedo when we need a ST.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Ye Bruno’s played everywhere to be fair. RW, AM, CM. It’s good having versatile players though for different games and situations. Think the plan is to sign Mount and have him and Bruno as 8s with Casemiro sitting. Front 3 should be Antony, new ST and Rashford.

Telsim

Best case scenario for me would be Caicedo + Taylor Booth or another cheap and young midfielder of that kind.

El Zoido

I hope it’s true we’re going for him, need this profile of player far more than we need Mount.

crossy1686

career ending
So the attack are supposed to create and score? Surely it’s the midfields job to play the strikers in? We need 3 Messi’s if you want them to all create their own chances and convert them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would be super weird if we paid more for the managers second choice
It would, but that is more likely he just felt Mount fits for the style and position he wants to strengthen. It is annoying that we could pay a massive chunk of our budget on Caicedo when Brighton got him for peanuts because we didn't want to get involved in a messy situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.