Moises Caicedo | Signs for Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
First team squad ready or goes to the reserves initially?
I’d imagine similar to Pellistri — brand new country and culture with a gigantic step up in quality. Reserves for the foreseeable seems pretty likely.

Edit: does seem slightly ahead in his development seeing as he has 4 senior caps whilst Pellistri is yet to feature for Uruguay (although they are obviously a better national team).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems a very proactive, clever move in the market. Those 50 scouts were bound to come in handy one day :wenger:

Very promising.

Based Adnan

First team squad ready or goes to the reserves initially?
He got the upper hand in a midfield battle against Bentacur and Valverde and has several international caps to his name. Can't see him going to the u23s for anything but fitness and seeing as they play at high altitude in Ecuador, I can't see that being an issue.

Holters

Seems a very proactive, clever move in the market. Those 50 scouts were bound to come in handy one day :wenger:
Think it has more to do with Ole's at the wheel and actually listening to the scouting network. This player seems very similar to the mold of dm/box to box player I assumed Solskjær would go for based on his time as manager of Molde. Tenacious, high frequency, mobile, big engine/massive work rate, good passing. Caicedo passes the "youtube eye test" for the type of player we need. Still very young however.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think it has more to do with Ole's at the wheel and actually listening to the scouting network. This player seems very similar to the mold of dm/box to box player I assumed Solskjær would go for based on his time as manager of Molde. Tenacious, high frequency, mobile, big engine, good passing. Caicedo passes the "youtube eye test" for the type of player we need. Still very young however.
Yeah, I think you're right. Wouldn't mind seeing that sort of business being done for the other two glaring positions. We don't need to spend 100m on a proven megastar (much as I like Sancho).

tjb

He, Pellestri and Amad Diallo...I like it. Signing players and bringing them through so that they can compete with and takeover certain positions rather than wait to sign them at 100m.

The market is in a place where signing a boatload of players may no longer be feasible, so signing really good young players rather than going head to head with city/real/barca might be the way forward, rather than just promoting potentially average players to the first team( there are very few Greenwood's and rashfords). Hopefully this policy will stop us from signing middling players at high prices and create less pressure to sign top players every transfer window. Fergie used to do this, as united could never get their hands on rivaldo, batistuta or nedved...the big difference now is that players like Park, Carrick and Hargreaves are far more expensive now than they used to be( first team but not key)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think it has more to do with Ole's at the wheel and actually listening to the scouting network. This player seems very similar to the mold of dm/box to box player I assumed Solskjær would go for based on his time as manager of Molde. Tenacious, high frequency, mobile, big engine/massive work rate, good passing. Caicedo passes the "youtube eye test" for the type of player we need. Still very young however.
If it's true then Ole deserves huge credit for maneuvering such and approach.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He, Pellestri and Amad Diallo...I like it. Signing players and bringing them through so that they can compete with and takeover certain positions rather than wait to sign them at 100m.

The market is in a place where signing a boatload of players may no longer be feasible, so signing really good young players rather than going head to head with city/real/barca might be the way forward, rather than just promoting potentially average players to the first team( there are very few Greenwood's and rashfords). Hopefully this policy will stop us from signing middling players at high prices and create less pressure to sign top players every transfer window. Fergie used to do this, as united could never get their hands on rivaldo, batistuta or nedved...the big difference now is that players like Park, Carrick and Hargreaves are far more expensive now than they used to be( first team but not key)
This should definitely be the policy going forward. It's served us well in the past and it's sustainable. Though every now and then a player emerges/becomes available where you decide to spend significantly (as we did with Rooney, van Persie, Stam, Yorke, etc.).

I'd classify Carrick as a top class purchase too. He was wanted by Arsenal too at the time, and what was it, 18.6m or something, wasn't cheap at the time.

This should definitely be the policy going forward. It's served us well in the past and it's sustainable. Every now and then a player emerges though where you decide to spend significantly (as we did with Rooney, van Persie, Stam, Yorke, etc.).

I'd classify Carrick as a top class purchase too. He was wanted by Arsenal too at the time, and what was it, 18.6m or something, wasn't cheap at the time.
that summer we essentially swapped Carrick for RVN. I think Carrick is somewhat inbetween the youngsters and the established stars, which we also need to buy.

but you are right, we can’t keep buying big name players, and also spending £30-50m on squad players.

tomaldinho1

Seems like it's done dealio before we could even put muppet socks on!! :lol:
Whisper it on this forum but Woodward, Judge & co might actually be getting their act together, Pellestri, Diallo, potentially Caicedo... our scouting overhaul might actually be starting to bear fruit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Whisper it on this forum but Woodward, Judge & co might actually be getting their act together, Pellestri, Diallo, potentially Caicedo... our scouting overhaul might actually be starting to bear fruit.
let's wait and see that they're not all on the level of your Bebe's, Manucho's and Diouf's before we give them any credit eh

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like this has been in the background for a few weeks/months now but has only just broken news recently.

The perfect type of player we need, really like the look of him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
let's wait and see that they're not all on the level of your Bebe's, Manucho's and Diouf's before we give them any credit eh
That's unfair and you know it. The 3 you mention were never as highly rated as the two we've signed and Caciedo.

Zen86

Wow, conducting transfers like a real club again. It seems like a while since we’ve regularly bought talent for the future.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That's unfair and you know it. The 3 you mention were never as highly rated as the two we've signed and Caciedo.
I don't know anything about any of the 3, hadn't heard of any of them until we signed them

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Will he get a work permit? Only 2 games for Ecuador. Unless Football Manager has been lying to me all these years?
It won't surprise me if he is someone like Pellistri, who the club has been tracking for a while but decided to move now due to the Brexit rules on work permits. They must be confident about getting one.

Red Royal

I love these kind of transfers where we invest in a young player witha view to developing them.

So much easier to enjoy compared to spending £80M on a decent CB cos he is English...

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It won't surprise me if he is someone like Pellistri, who the club has been tracking for a while but decided to move now due to the Brexit rules on work permits. They must be confident about getting one.
They can’t move him before Brexit. Post Brexit rules are easier to sign South Americans anyway so that wouldn’t make any sense.

Ecuador isn’t rated high enough to give any points in the work permit application anyway.

His points will largely come from Copa Libertadores. From a quick calculation he’d likely be at 12-13 points so a couple off the required 15. It’ll easily be appealed and accepted though.

SaboTaj

Will the work permit situation change drastically for non-EU citizens post Brexit? I was under the impression that it would mostly impact citizens from other European countries, since the regulations were already pretty tight for everyone from outside Europe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't know anything about any of the 3, hadn't heard of any of them until we signed them
I'd never heard of two of those either but there was a lot of information online regarding their potential online. The only one I'd heard of was Caicedo due to him playing at first team level at 18.

Manucho I think was 26 when we signed him and Bebe was homeless for a while before we picked him up. Diouf we signed from the Norweigan league but from what I read at the time he wasn't among the best African talents at the time.

It doesn't mean they will go on and fulfil their potential but it's a positive move by the club by backing our scouts. I just think there's been a lot of negativity around our transfers since Fergie retired that it's good to see some positivity instead of the doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.