Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Chelsea had Diego Costa last season and They won the league. He was no better than Lukaku and older.
I didn't watch much of Chelsea, but I'm pretty sure Costa was a better at being a target man/hold up play. Probably at least as good at finishing too.

kps88

I thought someone bumped an old thread to gloat. Timing of this is terrible considering he's been struggling with a back injury for months and Conte just admitted they don't know how to solve the problem.

Ubermensch

I didn't watch much of Chelsea, but I'm pretty sure Costa was a better at being a target man/hold up play. Probably at least as good at finishing too.
Lukaku dreams of having a game as good as the one Costa pulled out away at the Etihad.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lukaku dreams of having a game as good as the one Costa pulled out away at the Etihad.
Lukaku had a really good game against City away with Everton when they drew 1-1 in 2016. Also scored against them in the 4-0 win for Everton last January

ZAGREB RED

What comments?
He said something a few days ago about being happy in London but wouldn't rule out going back to Madrid. Might have just been a throwaway comment, but I've heard a few times that some Real Madrid players made their displeasure known at Morata being sold - I think Ronaldo was one of them. Sounds like he didn't really want to leave but maybe ZZ told me he wasn't going to play much so he went to Chelsea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Strange timing for this thread, when Morata has looked poor when he's played this last 4-6 weeks.

Lukaku hasn't lived up to that first 5-6week burst, but still has 19 goals, which I think is 7 more than Morata?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Which means nothing if he doesn't score goals. Morata might be a better all round player, Lukaku is the definitely the better striker.
Morata being the better 'all round player' is nonsense. The only thing he has shown a high level at is scoring free headers...so his movement is good. That's about it.

He is reliant on Hazard to link up play; and aside from the occasional mazy dribble his use of the ball is lacking. Not to mention he is as strong as a 5 year old child on the pitch and dives like mad.

Classnordic

Yes i probably would..but, None of them are currently good enough, to be our main striker if we aspire to compete for both CL and PL.

eat_grass

Tempting. But I think Lukaku has mentally grown since he went through his goals drought. I think he's a much better fit personality-wise now than he was even just a couple of months ago because of it. Morata's style of play would suite United better, IMO, but I think Lukaku can prove to be a heavily-contributing force for success -- just don't expect him to be banging in trophy-winners like Zlatan.

Besides, Morata is currently suffering through some kind of undiagnosable back injury that's keeping him sidelined.

AlwaysRed66

Lukaku, although not at highest class, is far better than Morata & the overrated French Arsenal forward as well. Morata is probably struggling to cope as the refs over here are not convinced by his diving like in Spain, so fails to get decisions going his way & scoring penalties & free kicks.

Eriku

It's pretty obvious that Lukaku was Jose's first choice... does a lot more for the squad's average height.

DarkXaero

Yes, Morata is more talented/skilled than Lukaku, and while that doesn't mean everything, it gives him a naturally higher ceiling. I also think that Morata is in a much worse situation than Lukaku (first season in a very different league, manager having a breakdown, other players in team underperforming, injury issues). Ultimately, neither Morata nor Lukaku are good enough to be our leading striker. They're nowhere near prime Rooney, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy. They're like Berbatov, good players but ultimately not good enough for our club. Morata has more of a chance of being a top striker if he can become more consistent with his goalscoring.

RedCurry

No I wouldn’t just like I wouldnt trade a Mercedes C class for a Corolla.

Sterling Archer

If it really came down to getting rid of Lukaku, unlikely as that is, my answer is very different now versus before signing Alexis:

I'd be happy building around Sanchez, Rashford and Martial up top. So then I vote swap Lukaku for Kante assuming Chelsea.

TheReligion

Abusive
First of all i know this probably would never happen, but just after a deal involving 2 of England's biggest clubs and 2 great players (Sanchez and Mkhitaryan) in a straight swap deal, if Chelsea proposed a similar deal in the summer for a straight swap Morata for Lukaku would you take it? Would Mourinho take it?

I think it's fair to say Morata hasn't settled well at Chelsea, only showed glimpses of his talent, but was Jose Mourihno's first choice striker in the summer. Similar story with Lukaku, was Chelsea's first choice target and whilst his goal ratio is good this season he's had his critics.

So yeah Morata for Lukaku straight swap would you take it?
Lukaku was United's first choice.

You need to research a bit more

J_Red 11

Not sure why people made it sounds that Morata has been worse than Lukaku. Lukaku also had his bad period of time just like Lukaku when he didn't score a single goal in 10 games in a row. Honestly, I never a big fans of both players because I prefer Griezmann last summer.

I'll do straight swap Lukaku with Kante. We need Kante more than Lukaku in my opinion and taking Kante from Chelsea means their midfield will be completely hopeless.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ahhh, no.

Also, i'm not sure if Morata was Mourinho's first choice. I think he always preferred Lukaku but seemed to think that he wouldn't be available to us. Also, Lukaku is better. Been good for us this season despite what some posters may think. Of course he has plenty of room for improvement, but he is improving. He's already a much better all round striker than what he was at Everton.

He can be frustrating at times and sometimes lacks a little subtly in his finishing, but he's getting there. Works well for the team and creates space for the other attackers.

Distracted Steward

God no. I wanted Morata more than Lukaku. I'm grateful the club doesn't listen to me as much as I think they should.

Rossa

In terms of aptitude, yes - there's more to football than prisoner of the moment opinions and scored more goals arguments without considering the broader context - cue green smileys. I'd also take Firmino without a second thought given the nature of our other forwards; apart from Kane (obvious), Agüero (regardless of injuries and age), Aubameyang (again pure aptitude). Some of it doesn't matter, though - because someone like say Firmino is not a Mourinho style center forward even though he would be a phenomenal fit with Alexis and Martial, so the swap would be pointless. Plus, we already have an elite center forward talent at the club in Martial - who needs to play through the middle and be nurtured, especially given the recent addition of Sánchez.
So you would take Chelsea’s striker, pool’s, Tottenham’s and Arsenal’s ahead of ours? The grass truly is greener. Formino? Really. Well well. And Morata.

Un4givableB

For what Jose want's from a number 9, l'd sooner have Troy Deeney than Morata,real talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.