Most complete footballer ever?

LDUred

Not an obvious choice as a defensive midfielder but Fernando Redondo was an outstandingly gifted player. When you see players able to dribble without any sort of pace advantage, its beautiful to watch, and he was so good at that.

Polar

Complete player = player who can play or handle all positions on the pitch.

Ronaldo = yes
Gullit = yes

Zidane ?
Laudrup ?
Rooney ?

Messi = no
Maradona = no
Pele = no

Polar

How can Ronaldo handle all positions?
Why not?
a) One of the best of all time
b) Ticks of all physical attributes
c) A lot of experience

With some preparation and friendly matches, I think he could play everywhere. Can’t remember anyone else being more complete player.

Rooney and Gullit are also good alternatives, but aren’t in the tier “best players of all time”

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why not?
c) A lot of experience

With some preparation and friendly matches, I think he could play everywhere. Can’t remember anyone else being more complete player.

Rooney and Gullit are also good alternatives, but aren’t in the tier “best players of all time”
It's all speculation though with Ronaldo. Gullit played upfront, on the wing, in midfield and in defence, all at a high level.

It would be fun to see Ronaldo play a game as a defender, he'd probably be good but he's never done it and never will.

foolsgold

Paolo Maldini was pretty special, he played every position at the back and a great crosser of the ball. Although in terms of all round, do anything well players, it's hard to go past Cryuff

Giggs could play anywhere, except central defence. He would have been an outstanding attacking full back, and his defending was very good.

spiriticon

At this moment I rate Shaw as very complete. I really think he could play anywhere on the left or centrally, in attack, midfield or defence. Phenomenal.

El Jefe

Gerrard is definitely in the list he could do it all really and excelled in many positions. Ballack was pretty complete too and could use both feet and his head as good as anyone except Ronaldo probably.

Polar

Agree with everything. I think Ronaldo is the most complete footballer ever (technical, physical skills), but his multi-positioning ability is off course not proven.

If we are suppose to only judge players who are proven multiplayers (defence, midfield, attack) the selection will be very narrow. Maybe new (interesting) thread?

Ruud Gullit
Ronny Johnsen :D

tomaldinho1

At this moment I rate Shaw as very complete. I really think he could play anywhere on the left or centrally, in attack, midfield or defence. Phenomenal.
I love Shaw but no. Zidane, Gullit, Seedorf, Rooney, Gerrard are the rare all rounders who genuinely could do a job anywhere on the pitch and, in many positions, remain a standout performer. No way can you put Shaw in with them for me.

Caesar2290

Ronaldo = yes
Gullit = yes

Zidane ?
Laudrup ?
Rooney ?

Messi = no
Maradona = no
Pele = no
You're going to have to elaborate on that one. Can you name one thing Pele couldn't do?

Eplel

Someone like Seedorf comes to mind.

I remember when Wijnaldum was a youngster for PSV he used to play every position on the field bar left back, bu he did seem pretty limited the way Liverpool used him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
prime Rooney could have played well in any position on the pitch.

I feel like Ballack could have done a job at centre back & up front.

Pogba played Centre back for us once and looked really good.

spiriticon

I love Shaw but no. Zidane, Gullit, Seedorf, Rooney, Gerrard are the rare all rounders who genuinely could do a job anywhere on the pitch and, in many positions, remain a standout performer. No way can you put Shaw in with them for me.
No way I'm sticking Zidane and Gullit in defence but Seedorf, Rooney and Gerrard are fair enough shouts.

Flanders Devil

Having a skim of the pages, some that came to mind that I don’t think have been mentioned are the German contingent - Bastian Schweinstiger, Philip Lahm and Joshua Kimmich.

I’d also throw in Zinchenko - seems to be able to play anywhere- and his finishing seems pretty decent too

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Paolo Maldini was pretty special, he played every position at the back and a great crosser of the ball. Although in terms of all round, do anything well players, it's hard to go past Cryuff
Cryuff ultimately would be my choice. Maldini I loved and his father was pretty handy too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Johnny Evenkeel was a pretty balanced player.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Having a skim of the pages, some that came to mind that I don’t think have been mentioned are the German contingent - Bastian Schweinstiger, Philip Lahm and Joshua Kimmich.

I’d also throw in Zinchenko - seems to be able to play anywhere- and his finishing seems pretty decent too
Lahm is too small, he could not play CB. I agree on the others you mention, but they are far from being the best complete player ever.

spiriticon

Why not Gullit?
Admittedly I've only caught the end of his career at Chelsea and I think they tried him in defence for a bit and it didn't work out.

He may have been an awesome defender in his younger years but I wouldn't know. I generally associate him as an attacking midfielder who can probably play anywhere across the front.

ShoePolish

Probably Ramos comes closest to me. He's basically Ronaldo type defender, but gets work done at the other end of the pitch too.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Why not?
c) A lot of experience

So Ronaldo is the most complete player, because you think he would be a world class CB/CM/AM/FB. So basically all comes down to your imagination.

You will disregard players like Gullit, Matthias and so on, who actually played in multiple positions in midfield and defense, and even attack with incredible success, because apparently being the elite tier attacker would even up the clear lack of defensive qualities. :lol:

By that logic Messi is the best goal keeper ever, because I imagined it.

tomaldinho1

No way I'm sticking Zidane and Gullit in defence but Seedorf, Rooney and Gerrard are fair enough shouts.
Both of them were big units, rapid, highly technical all rounders. Don’t see why you’d think they couldn’t be effective in defence. Obviously the point isn’t they’d be world class everywhere because no player could but they’d have the raw attributes to be more effective than than Shaw would in attack or CM.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Ronaldo = yes
I like how you first establish a logic and then trow it out of the window literally in the next sentence.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dirk Kuyt played as a striker, winger, left back, right back, midfield. Hell I think he even stood on goal after the odd red card.

The man did it all. I even got an eyelift, so he'd make a good wag as well.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was great at the back for Chelsea.
You'll know a lot better than I will as I was very young at the time (and not a Chelsea supporter!) but I remember hearing some interviews with Gullit and Hoddle and one of the reasons they mentioned moving him, was that while he was excellent there at the sweeper role, the reason they moved him forwards was that he was putting the other players under pressure with the way he played out from the back.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You'll know a lot better than I will as I was very young at the time (and not a Chelsea supporter!) but I remember hearing some interviews with Gullit and Hoddle and one of the reasons they mentioned moving him, was that while he was excellent there at the sweeper role, the reason they moved him forwards was that he was putting the other players under pressure with the way he played out from the back.
He was playing alongside cloggers like Frank Sinclair in fairness!

I was a season ticket holder back then and Ruud was class in every position he played in, easily the best player for us wherever he played.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was playing alongside cloggers like Frank Sinclair in fairness!

I was a season ticket holder back then and Ruud was class in every position he played in, easily the best player for us wherever he played.
Aye that was basically what Glenn implied (or maybe it was Gullit quoting him) but it was very much about how monstrously talented he was and that those around him at the back weren't used to that level, so they moved him forward to protect the defenders (and probably so he could have more influence on the game I imagine?). I was young at the time and only really remember the fallout over his sacking (and the FA cup win)

I suppose the question is: What do you mean by ‘most complete’?

Guessing though- I would say Pele, Gullit or C Ronaldo. I think they could have been world class at just about any outfield position or role on the pitch, after a very short learning curve.

Last edited: