Most overrated video/computer game ever?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I liked this post up until you said the every Halo, bar the first is over rated. Halo 2 and 3 were awesome! In fact, I like them more than 1.
That doesn't mean they are shit tbf, it just means they were praised way more than they should have been. Halo 2 tried too hard with the changes and dual weapons and all that, and lost something. Halo 3 suffered from even worse level design than 1 and they noticeably had to scale back the A.I for the graphics.

The original, as I say, was truly genre defining and thus stands up. The sequels never did anything remotely as original.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sorry, it's the GTA I played least. 3 was revolutionary, Vice City was great. The map size was cool on S.A. but they did nothing with the gameplay.
Gotta disagree. It's probably the best game I've played, spent months just driving around those country roads.

Redlambs

Twenty goddamn times. Not repetitive. Okay.
Never mind one of the major reasons it's so highly rated is because of the shear openness of the game, the amount of choice in how you play on offer. But you think 1/6 of the shrines being combat training shrines makes it repetitive and over rated? You are aware that they are the games in built tutorials right? And the very fact you can still be creative in how you beat them is choice in itself.

Still, opinions mate :)

The Bloody-Nine

Never mind one of the major reasons it's so highly rated is because of the shear openness of the game, the amount of choice in how you play on offer. But you think 1/6 of the shrines being combat training shrines makes it repetitive and over rated? You are aware that they are the games in built tutorials right? And the very fact you can still be creative in how you beat them is choice in itself.

Still, opinions mate :)
As I said, no story, repetitive, shitty NPCs, fetch quests, the weapon breaking mechanic, terrible frame rate (I have the Wii U version).... It is genuinely the most overrated game I've ever played. 7/10 is a fair score, in my opinion. Yet 97 on Metacritic from over 100 reviews.

But as you say opinions. I love The Last of Us and Witcher 3, which you don't seem to be too hot on.

Redlambs

Twenty identical shrines is repetitive to me, yes. You could argue that ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY similar shrines is excessively repetitive, too.
That's the cool things about opinions and debating, it's interesting to see the differences.

Like you love the Witcher 3, but every single gameplay element in that game is repetitive and most mean nothing at all after a certain point.

Gotcha. Still, the list of more important ones is pretty long.
I believe we've had the debate on here before (not you and I specifically I don't think). Halo is actually underrated when you start throwing list of genre defining shooter. For example, there still hasn't been a single game since that has taken any kind of A.I leap like that did. Ditto with the physics, also with the graphics techniques. It has a lot of massive leaps forward to it's name, whereas the other major shooters add maybe one or two if they are lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily saying it's a better game than the usual suspects, it wouldn't be at the top of me FPS list, but for it's time and what they achieved with it, it's a major stand out in the genre full stop, let alone pushing console fps' to the next level.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
What in particular do you not like about Halo?

I'm not massive on the single player, however, it's one of the best first person shooters around (Halo 1 - Halo 3)

I mean, perhaps trash was a bit strong. Its decent, but i just don't get it. They hype i mean. It's just a fine game that is very generic. I just don't understand what it has that makes t so revered. The gameplay is fine, but there's way better out there. It's famous for its multiplayer but, again, there's games out there that do it much better.

I suppose back in the day it was the big online shooter for the xbox, and its first marquee game. So for me its still living on the memory of that. 'Cause it certainly doesn't do anything special anymore.

Unmutual

Again, twenty shrines. What part of this are you struggling with?
The bit where you claim that optional shrines containing a single enemy each defines the game.

I believe we've had the debate on here before (not you and I specifically I don't think). Halo is actually underrated when you start throwing list of genre defining shooter. For example, there still hasn't been a single game since that has taken any kind of A.I leap like that did. Ditto with the physics, also with the graphics techniques. It has a lot of massive leaps forward to it's name, whereas the other major shooters add maybe one or two if they are lucky.
It came out 2 years later than Quake 3 but couldn't touch that game for the sophistication of its graphics engine, even allowing for the limitations of the console it was on. The AI was fun at the time, but hardly a radical improvement on Unreal's Skaarj, Half Life's squads or Unreal Tournament's bots, all of which came out several years earlier. And while it was a key game on the Xbox, GoldenEye was the the most significant proof that an FPS on a console could be as good, or better, than the PC shooters of the day.

Halo is memorable for its role in making the Xbox a (just about) success and paving the way for the 360, which was truly a defining console, so it remains a significant title as history goes. But in terms of its impact as a shooter and its quality as a game, there are just so many more ahead of it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Final Fantasy 7.
Great game, not best ever game.

Any shooter ever, apart from goldeneye.

All gta games, all ac games bar black flag (but includes shadow of mordor), any racing game not featuring money.

All "beat em up" games.

Shoutout to some underrated gems:
Shadow hearts series, Witcher 3 going by some people on here, FF8 by most of the ff-fanbase & the last story (wii)

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Halo 1 still stands as a defining game of it's genre, no way that can be over rated. The others since though, yeah I completely agree.

The likes of Witcher 3 and Last of Us are also games I find people really do over praise, since the former has just so much that is mediocre at best, and the latter has gameplay that is ok and nothing more. However the sum of those games really are masterpieces so I totally get why they are so highly rated.

feck off with Mario Kart though :lol:
Behave, Halo 1's repetitive level design alone is a massive flaw.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Halo 1 still stands as a defining game of it's genre, no way that can be over rated. The others since though, yeah I completely agree.

The likes of Witcher 3 and Last of Us are also games I find people really do over praise, since the former has just so much that is mediocre at best, and the latter has gameplay that is ok and nothing more. However the sum of those games really are masterpieces so I totally get why they are so highly rated.

feck off with Mario Kart though :lol:
It's only a defining game because it did those things on a console, though. Nothing in Halo 1 really outdoes what was seen years prior on PC in games like Half Life (single player/story), Quake & Unreal (arena FPS gameplay). I don't think it's anything special mechanically or narratively.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
As far as people saying MGS ...

1 - Pretty much the closest you'll come to finding one of the series that is overrated.

2 - Looking back on it, knowing now what Kojima's intentions were as it pertains to the message he was sending to the player, absolute work of art and it was criticised upon its release anyway so...

3 - Lowest rated critically get one they re-released it with the fixed camera, one of the best overall experiences. So free, Euro Extreme runs on that one are an intense challenge.

4 - eh ... Hardly anyone likes it so you can't really call it over rated.

5 - This is the one that is overrated.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Final Fantasy 7.
Great game, not best ever game.

Any shooter ever, apart from goldeneye.

All gta games, all ac games bar black flag (but includes shadow of mordor), any racing game not featuring money.

All "beat em up" games.

Shoutout to some underrated gems:
Shadow hearts series, Witcher 3 going by some people on here, FF8 by most of the ff-fanbase & the last story (wii)
Final Fantasy just suffers from having truly fanatical fans. As you say, Final Fantasy VII is a very good game, and a very important game in introducing RPGs to my generation, but the best game ever?

Final Fantasy X won so many damn awards, and is one of the most critically praised RPGs of all time... But it's a crap game. The story has gigantic plotholes, the characters are genuinely retarded, and the only things that save it even slightly for me is the gameplay & the OST.

VIII is also a pretty naff game to me, but it's nowhere near as overrated as the two above.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Final Fantasy just suffers from having truly fanatical fans. As you say, Final Fantasy VII is a very good game, and a very important game in introducing RPGs to my generation, but the best game ever?

Final Fantasy X won so many damn awards, and is one of the most critically praised RPGs of all time... But it's a crap game. The story has gigantic plotholes, the characters are genuinely retarded, and the only things that save it even slightly for me is the gameplay & the OST.

VIII is also a pretty naff game to me, but it's nowhere near as overrated as the two above.
FFX is almost a comedy.

FF XII is under rated. Its an amazing game.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
RE: Repetitive mechanics.

A lot of people define this relative to the amount of fun they are having whilst doing them. Nearly all games have repetitive elements these days.

Grinding/mining is a part of nearly every game, whether levelling up on an RPG, trying to 100% Red Dead or Witcher etc. feck, Dynasty Warriors is a huge amount of fun too me and anyone who has played that doesn't need telling why most people think it's shite.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
FFX is almost a comedy.

Ff12 is a good game with great story. Before speed adjustments it was insanely annoying with all the grinds, rng and not being able to keep anything from trial mode etc etc.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
FFX is almost a comedy.

Only amazing FF games for me are 6 & 9 (7 if we're including impact & legacy), but 12 is definitely the strongest PS2/PS3/PS4 entry.

Redlambs

The bit where you claim that optional shrines containing a single enemy each defines the game.

It came out 2 years later than Quake 3 but couldn't touch that game for the sophistication of its graphics engine, even allowing for the limitations of the console it was on. The AI was fun at the time, but hardly a radical improvement on Unreal's Skaarj, Half Life's squads or Unreal Tournament's bots, all of which came out several years earlier. And while it was a key game on the Xbox, GoldenEye was the the most significant proof that an FPS on a console could be as good, or better, than the PC shooters of the day.

Halo is memorable for its role in making the Xbox a (just about) success and paving the way for the 360, which was truly a defining console, so it remains a significant title as history goes. But in terms of its impact as a shooter and its quality as a game, there are just so many more ahead of it.
It's only a defining game because it did those things on a console, though. Nothing in Halo 1 really outdoes what was seen years prior on PC in games like Half Life (single player/story), Quake & Unreal (arena FPS gameplay). I don't think it's anything special mechanically or narratively.
Yes, that's the actual point in fact! It's a defining game in it's genre, console fps. Oh and as for the A.I, there are papers out there on this, but it's one of the last great leaps on any platform. It was also a damn fine game in it's own right, when you add how tight everything was, the squad based A.I and smooth co-op.

The discussion on it always comes back to people saying "well PC..." duh. I'm a PC gamer and an avid FPS fan, I know full well what came before it and since. But nothing pulled it all together in the console fps genre since Goldeneye/PD before it. It took console graphics techniques to a whole new level, whilst making physics in a console game far more important and A.I in video gaming on a whole.

People are so quick to try to downplay it, just because us PC gamers had plenty before it, but it still to this day stands out as a game that moved it's genre of console shooters forward. There's arguably very little since you can say that about.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Nowadays, I don't get the hype around Call of Duty. Its now where near as good as it was 6 or 7 years ago.
CoD has been dead for years, I agree. I started off on CoD 2 - now THAT was an online game, pumped so many hours into it. Unfortunately they went down the futuristic route and it went completely to shit with lazy gun designs and audio they just regurgitated. I used to play CoD up until Black Ops 2, then gave up and turned to Battlefield. Never looked back, Battlefield 1 still gives me huge enjoyment and now that the CoD developers have seen the success it generated around WW1, they've released CoD WW2. Pathetic.

It looks shit too.

Redlambs

Only amazing FF games for me are 6 & 9 (7 if we're including impact & legacy), but 12 is definitely the strongest PS2/PS3/PS4 entry.
I agree with this.

Though many don't realise that among hard core FF fans of the time, 7 actually got a fair bit of stick too for the linear nature of it. The FMV went a long way to carrying the legacy of it forward though, those cut scenes and the story really were something else.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This i can agree on.
(that said I'll always be biased towards FF8 as my favorite)

The Bloody-Nine

So the example you gave doesn't show that the game is repetitive? Think you're getting confused.
Yes, it does. I never claimed it defines the game. That's something you made up and attributed to me.

You're not very good at this so you should probably stop.

Unmutual

Yes, it does. I never claimed it defines the game. That's something you made up and attributed to me.

You're not very good at this so you should probably stop.
So even though you say the game is repetitive, and you yourself gave the shrines as an example of that repetitiveness, they can't be seen as "establishing the character or nature of" the game?

Get more sleep or grab a dictionary or something, you're confused.