Most overrated video/computer game ever?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Which games do you not like is a better title for the thread.
:lol: yeah, but again that's just how these threads go.

Though I really thought Alien Isolation got puzzling reviews from gamers. I love that kind of genre, but for me it just fell completely flat thanks to shit A.I and there wasn't even any self shadowing which completely destroyed any sense of immersion!

Yet people considered it scary and psychological. It wasn't, it was just a rushed and random mess.

/rant.

The Bloody-Nine

I might be going against my usual gaming opinions, but occasionaly I like a dud. Like Dead Island on the PC. But I've been enjoying Prey this week, it's a bit like Dishonored in space. The combat is a bit weak and something just doesn't feel right with it in that regards, but the option to stealth around and some of the upgrades it looks like I can eventually unlock at least makes it look interesting.

I've not really heard anyone talk about it though.
I've considered picking Prey up, and it's cheap as at the minute. It received decent reviews (eventually)......I think Bethesda's review policy hurt it. It's not a good position to adopt in general, in my opinion.

Unmutual

Halo changed everything. It was the perfect game at the times. It popularised:

Vehicles vs Humans
Duck and Cover to regenerate health.
Online multiplayer (obviously this came before, but after Halo, you couldn't ship a FPS without it)
Wide open levels (relatively)
Flying vehicles

Halo changed everything. For better and worse
Quake & GoldenEye aren't same era as Halo, they came out a long time earlier. In fact Halo came out after games like Deus Ex, Thief 2, System Shock 2, Counter Strike, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Tribes 2. Those games pushed the genre far more than Halo did, in one direction or other. In fact most of the features you mention - vehicles vs humans, flying, wide open levels - were featured in the Tribes games alone, even the second of which came our before Halo. Online multiplayer was standard fare even by the time Quake 2 came out in 1997, never mind Halo 4 years later.

(also as a point of pedantry, regenerating health appeared in Halo 2, not 1. Halo still had health kits but with shields on top)

antsmithmk

Hates women.
These are my games that everyone else seemed to rave about and I didn't think we're overly great...

Gears of War
Halo
Red Dead Redemption
GTA IV

Redlambs

I've considered picking Prey up, and it's cheap as at the minute. It received decent reviews (eventually)......I think Bethesda's review policy hurt it. It's not a good position to adopt in general, in my opinion.
I haven't played it enough to fully know, but I got it on steam for £15 and for that price so far I'm happy.

There's definitely something not quite right about it, but it has potential.

The Bloody-Nine

GTA 4 is a funny one. It has (or had) a Metacritic score of 98, yet most people seem to dislike it. I thought it was fun, bar the social bollocks.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
(also as a point of pedantry, regenerating health appeared in Halo 2, not 1. Halo still had health kits but with shields on top)
Halo 1's regenerating shield is just regenerating health by another name though

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Oh shit, it's actually Breath of the Wild. No story, repetitive as shit, and a huge empty open world. Yet it garnered perfect scores across the board.
I bought my Son a switch and Breath of the Wild after he bitched and bitched and bitched about it.

Played it for a couple of hours and not touched it since.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Shout-out to Bioshock Infinite. Seemed to only get great reviews because of its great story which actually wasn't... great.

Bojan11

I wondered when someone was going to bring up Jim Sterling in relation to BotW, it's so fecking predictable :lol:
Yeah because according to him Dullzone is the greatest shooter ever. Not sure why people need to use him as a reference constantly. Oh Jim Sterling gave it a low score, so my opinion must be correct. He clearly has a hard on for Guerilla games. Giving all their games 9s always.

I swear I created this thread like a month ago.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I wondered when someone was going to bring up Jim Sterling in relation to BotW, it's so fecking predictable :lol:
As is expecting it to come up (probably secretly hoping), not another Nintenbot waiting to be triggered are you? Delicate flowers shouldn't be on the Internet if they can't take someone else's opinion.

Dumbat12

Every Bethesda RPG - while they are fun mostly they're really nothing special.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Half-Life.

I've always been a huge Quake fan, so I didn't really take to the slower pace of Half-Life. Counterstrike is even worse, slow and ponderous compared to Quake3 and ActionQuake mod for Q2.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Sterling likes some self-promotion. That 7 got him plenty.

Never played BotW but 99.99% of places were giving it 10's and "Masterpiece". He knew what he was up to.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Never liked Skyrim or Witcher 3, actually returned the latter. The guy in the shop was so shocked, he gave me a full refund :lol:

I'll mention one i haven't seen anyone say here yet, CS.... so boring, it's about crouching best behind boxes... zzz :)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Every Bethesda RPG - while they are fun mostly they're really nothing special.
I don't think they're much better than average, if that. Not played Fallout 4, but Skyrim? I don't think more vapid storytelling & lacklustre gameplay exists in any game rated as high as it is.

VP

DOTA - so overrated that some on here think it's a sport.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Never liked Skyrim or Witcher 3, actually returned the latter. The guy in the shop was so shocked, he gave me a full refund :lol:

I'll mention one i haven't seen anyone say here yet, CS.... so boring, it's about crouching best behind boxes... zzz :)

Redlambs

As is expecting it to come up (probably secretly hoping), not another Nintenbot waiting to be triggered are you? Delicate flowers shouldn't be on the Internet if they can't take someone else's opinion.
You belong in the youtube comments with an attitude like that.

If you can't have your own debate then don't try, but don't get all pissy just because you did the most obvious thing and expect no one to mention it :lol:

Yeah because according to him Dullzone is the greatest shooter ever. Not sure why people need to use him as a reference constantly. Oh Jim Sterling gave it a low score, so my opinion must be correct. He clearly has a hard on for Guerilla games. Giving all their games 9s always.

I swear I created this thread like a month ago.
Meh, I don't mind him, he can be amusing at times. He has an audience and knows how to wind people up. His followers on the other hand, I don't think they understand quite what he does or why!

Hence why they feel the need to bring him up everytime botw is mentioned. Like I said, it's predictable and very dated.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but yeah, the Witcher just didn't do it for me. Gave it a go after the rave reviews on here.
This isn't an overrated game, but Saints Row 1 and 2 where a good solid game, especially when GTA 4 disappointed, but then what they did after that was baffling.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
You belong in the youtube comments with an attitude like that.

If you can't have your own debate then don't try, but don't get all pissy just because you did the most obvious thing and expect no one to mention it :lol:

Meh, I don't mind him, he can be amusing at times. He has an audience and knows how to wind people up. His followers on the other hand, I don't think they understand quite what he does or why!

Hence why they feel the need to bring him up everytime botw is mentioned. Like I said, it's predictable and very dated.
You know, it could be that they just rate the game 7/10 themselves and finally found a reviewer who gave it the same score?
Naturally, I still haven't played it (although I want to), so won't be bashing it. That said I'm sure I wouldn't like a lot of very popular games, like RdR. I'm a rpg player so a lot of stuff simply won't interest me. No shooter could ever get higher than 5/10 for me as they at best would be acceptable to throw away some hours. Maybe those that dislike botw have serious issues with enjoying the use of weapons as consumables or just aren't into open world adventure fans to begin with. That's fair enough for us non-professionals after all. :p

Redlambs

You know, it could be that they just rate the game 7/10 themselves and finally found a reviewer who gave it the same score?
Naturally, I still haven't played it (although I want to), so won't be bashing it. That said I'm sure I wouldn't like a lot of very popular games, like RdR. I'm a rpg player so a lot of stuff simply won't interest me. No shooter could ever get higher than 5/10 for me as they at best would be acceptable to throw away some hours. Maybe those that dislike botw have serious issues with enjoying the use of weapons as consumables or just aren't into open world adventure fans to begin with. That's fair enough for us non-professionals after all. :p
If you knew the backstory of that review, you'd get why I'm just having a little fun with this guy ;)

I don't give a rats who does and doesn't like the games I do! I like loads that would (and probably should) be considered shit by others, guilty pleasures and all that :D

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
If you knew the backstory of that review, you'd get why I'm just having a little fun with this guy ;)

I don't give a rats who does and doesn't like the games I do! I like loads that would (and probably should) be considered shit by others, guilty pleasures and all that :D
Indeed.
But as we discussed way back when the game came out, Jim Sterling might have been trolling for fame with his 7/10 slap (or genuinely mean it), but it did make people aware of some of the potential turn-offs that seemed to be glossed over by the 10/10 reviews at least I had read (especially the consumable weapons part). Thanks to his review I was able to chat out my potential "fears" of how I'd feel playing the game with you guys in that chat. Without that, I'd probably leave the game fast whenever I do pick it up since I'm used to at least being able to repair shitty weapons from games like dark cloud and dark souls 2.

Redlambs

Indeed.
But as we discussed way back when the game came out, Jim Sterling might have been trolling for fame with his 7/10 slap (or genuinely mean it), but it did make people aware of some of the potential turn-offs that seemed to be glossed over by the 10/10 reviews at least I had read (especially the consumable weapons part). Thanks to his review I was able to chat out my potential "fears" of how I'd feel playing the game with you guys in that chat. Without that, I'd probably leave the game fast whenever I do pick it up since I'm used to at least being able to repair shitty weapons from games like dark cloud and dark souls 2.
Glossed over? That's the problem with the reactions to those reviews, nothing was glossed over.

The rain mechanic means something, the weapons degrading means something. They aren't issues that needed fixing, they were design choices for a reason. Hence why Nintendo haven't changed them. Sure people can dislike them, that's completely fine and reasonable. But then why is it not reasonable that so many more got the point and actually did like them? It's double standards when you look at it like that.

It's also double standards to bring up framerates, which are now mostly fixed btw, whilst forgetting nearly all major releases now have the same at the start. Hell Witcher 3 and LOU (even with the remaster) were never quite fixed.

I like Sterling it's funny what he does. And winding up precious sad case Nintendo fans is amusing, if a little easy. My point with my initial response was merely to show how easy it is to use that technique the second people bring him up with regards to Botw. As in, I wouldn't put faith in him, just go with how you see it.

Btw BotW isn't Skyward Sword. It's got rave reviews sure, but look at what the other developers and game designers are saying. It really is a masterpiece. But that doesn't mean people just can't dislike parts or even all of it. The fecking rain is incredibly frustrating at times alone!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Glossed over? That's the problem with the reactions to those reviews, nothing was glossed over.

The rain mechanic means something, the weapons degrading means something. They aren't issues that needed fixing, they were design choices for a reason. Hence why Nintendo haven't changed them. Sure people can dislike them, that's completely fine and reasonable. But then why is it not reasonable that so many more got the point and actually did like them? It's double standards when you look at it like that.

It's also double standards to bring up framerates, which are now mostly fixed btw, whilst forgetting nearly all major releases now have the same at the start. Hell Witcher 3 and LOU (even with the remaster) were never quite fixed.

I like Sterling it's funny what he does. And winding up precious sad case Nintendo fans is amusing, if a little easy. My point with my initial response was merely to show how easy it is to use that technique the second people bring him up with regards to Botw. As in, I wouldn't put faith in him, just go with how you see it.

Btw BotW isn't Skyward Sword. It's got rave reviews sure, but look at what the other developers and game designers are saying. It really is a masterpiece. But that doesn't mean people just can't dislike parts or even all of it. The fecking rain is incredibly frustrating at times alone!
When it's something that make people not enjoy the game, then it needs a mention.
If you had a review of MGS 2 and someone said you'll play as another character than Snake, and that he's a whimp in comparison (note for MGS fans, I don't play that series either, just the first example I could find) you'd be a bit turned off, but at least you'd know what you're going to.

Angry Joe i found a bit later (since he puts so much work on his reviews), and I think he got it spot on in terms of mentioning what can be annoying but still praising the game (going by how many truly see it as a masterpiece, not by anything I've seen for myself yet for those who may just now read this convo) and giving it a great score.

I really should just get to play it so I can have feelings to base it on instead of speculated feelings. Anyone wanna ship their switch to northern Norway with a copy? :lol: