Most overrated video/computer game ever?

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Zelda, Breath of the wild.

Borrowed a Switch and that game off a mate after reading all the 10/10s and best game ever reviews. Left me totally underwhelmed. Good game of that there's no doubts but I've played far better, it had some major issues like slowdown and a lot of the mechanics really annoyed me like the destructible weapons needing swapping out every ten seconds and climbing in rain. I'm with Jim Sterling on this one in that it's a 7 or 8 out of 10 which isn't a bad score by any means.
I enjoyed Horizon far more and that's just a game I played within the same month, so best game ever is hugely hyperbolic, to me anyway.

Nintendo games generally do get overrated though although I do love Mario Kart, and Ocarina of time was a masterpiece.

The Bloody-Nine

So even though you say the game is repetitive, and you yourself gave the shrines as an example of that repetitiveness, they can't be seen as "establishing the character or nature of" the game?

Get more sleep or grab a dictionary or something, you're confused.
No, I'm not. I stated my issues with the game clearly and have been consistent. You have latched on to one criticism, blatantly ignored the rest, and to top it off made shit up and attributed it to me. Presumably because you're upset that I don't like something to the same degree that you do. Grow up.

You probably ddos'd Jim Sterling.

The Bloody-Nine

Zelda, Breath of the wild.

Borrowed a Switch and that game off a mate after reading all the 10/10s and best game ever reviews. Left me totally underwhelmed. Good game of that there's no doubts but I've played far better, it had some major issues like slowdown and a lot of the mechanics really annoyed me like the destructible weapons needing swapping out every ten seconds and climbing in rain. I'm with Jim Sterling on this one in that it's a 7 or 8 out of 10 which isn't a bad score by any means.
I enjoyed Horizon far more and that's just a game I played within the same month, so best game ever is hugely hyperbolic, to me anyway.

Nintendo games generally do get overrated though although I do love Mario Kart, and Ocarina of time was a masterpiece.
I enjoyed Horizon more, too. The worst thing about Breath of the Wild, on the Wii U, anyway, were the shrines that required motion controls. I almost threw my controller out the window.

Thankfully, there were only a couple.

Unmutual

No, I'm not. I stated my issues with the game clearly and have been consistent. You have latched on to one criticism, blatantly ignored the rest, and to top it off made shit up and attributed it to me. Presumably because you're upset that I don't like something to the same degree that you do. Grow up.
I love it when people offer laughing emojis and snark for a bunch of posts, then suddenly tell the other person to grow up. If you dont wanna debate it, no problem.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Halo 1 is the defining first person shooter?
Without doubt.

Go back to the year 2000 and the first person shooter landscape is hugely different. The iconic single player first person shooters of the time like Doom, Half Life 1, Wolfenstein, etc look very different.

Health doesn't regenerate.
You carry hold multiple weapons
No vehicles

Iconic multiplayer games of the time, like Quake, Goldeneye, etc are also very different

No vehicles
Levels tend to be very similar complex arenas (with some exceptions)
Even left stick move, right stick aim wasn't necessarily the normal thing.

Halo changed everything. It was the perfect game at the times. It popularised:

Vehicles vs Humans
Duck and Cover to regenerate health.
Online multiplayer (obviously this came before, but after Halo, you couldn't ship a FPS without it)
Wide open levels (relatively)
Flying vehicles

Halo changed everything. For better and worse

The Bloody-Nine

I love it when people offer laughing emojis and snark for a bunch of posts, then suddenly tell the other person to grow up. If you dont wanna debate it, no problem.
I laughed because you said I couldn't argue something. You can literally argue anything. You might be incorrect but you can still argue a point.

Anyway, we can leave it here.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Without doubt.

Go back to the year 2000 and the first person shooter landscape is hugely different. The iconic single player first person shooters of the time like Doom, Half Life 1, Wolfenstein, etc look very different.

Health doesn't regenerate.
You carry hold multiple weapons
No vehicles

Iconic multiplayer games of the time, like Quake, Goldeneye, etc are also very different

No vehicles
Levels tend to be very similar complex arenas (with some exceptions)
Even left stick move, right stick aim wasn't necessarily the normal thing.
All those things were in Goldeneye if I remember rightly. They were certainly in Perfect Dark.

rcoobc

All those things were in Goldeneye if I remember rightly. They were certainly in Perfect Dark.
Vehicles?
Left stick walk, right stick aim?
Online?
Duck and cover health regeneration?
Aiming up and down?

Don't get me wrong, Goldeneye at my cousins was great.... but it's firmly in the old-school multiplayer category like Quake.

Edit - Did Goldeneye have grenades?

The Bloody-Nine

I wondered when someone was going to bring up Jim Sterling in relation to BotW, it's so fecking predictable :lol:
All the dude said was that he agrees with him. I agree with his score, but I'm not a fan. He gave Hellblade a one because of an auto save bug. He then retracted it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Vehicles?
Left stick walk, right stick aim?
Online?
Duck and cover health regeneration?
Aiming up and down?

Don't get me wrong, Goldeneye at my cousins was great.... but it's firmly in the old-school multiplayer category like Quake.
I'm not sure you remember Goldeneye too well! The N64 didn't have a right stick, but it did have camera buttons which meant independent camera control, which also meant free-form aiming.

But you could actually use 2 controllers thus have 2 analogue sticks. So in actual fact, it was the first dual stick game.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Vehicles? - Yes, a freaking tank!
Left stick walk, right stick aim? - Yes
Online? - No
Duck and cover health regeneration? - Yes
Aiming up and down? - Yes

Edit - Did Goldeneye have grenades?
It had grenades, various types of mines, lasers and a golden fecking gun!

Redlambs

All the dude said was that he agrees with him. I agree with his score, but I'm not a fan. He gave Hellblade a one because of an auto save bug. He then retracted it.
It happens all the time, and then you go and add in the ddos attack stuff. Like I say, it's just so predictable as if his wind ups on the matter are some kind of authority.

That's not a slight on what you think of the game though, that's your opinion of course mate and I respect that.

Redlambs

You're a good egg. I was being a little cheeky with the ddos thing, I admit.
That whole situation was a complete joke anyway! I mean, why let people get you that angry? It's the talksport effect and Jim knew what he was doing, but the reaction was just pathetic.

Though I once got threatened on here with hacking (yeah right!) by a newb who didn't take kindly to me suggesting some things about the development of Gran Turismo 5 years ago. Though I always suspected that was one of Weaste's alter egos :lol:

People are way too precious at times!

rcoobc

I'm not sure you remember Goldeneye too well! The N64 didn't have a right stick, but it did have camera buttons which meant independent camera control, which also meant free-form aiming.

But you could actually use 2 controllers thus have 2 analogue sticks. So in actual fact, it was the first dual stick game
Yeah I remember reading that :lol:

I'd love to try it.
It had grenades, various types of mines, lasers and a golden fecking gun!
Goldeneye was good craig

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Recent Bethesda RPGs.
Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4.
Totally agree.

Skyrim is odd. When playing it years ago, I remember enjoying it. But then I played Witcher 3, I realised how much Bethesda took the fecking piss.

Side-quests: Collect 5 bear pelts, collect 10 Nirnroot, collect 5 fire salts.

A game with hundreds of characters and 6 voice actors to voice them all.

Shite main questline.

Looking back at how much time I spent on that game is my biggest gaming regret. It's a hollow piece of shit.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Totally agree.

Skyrim is odd. When playing it years ago, I remember enjoying it. But then I played Witcher 3, I realised how much Bethesda took the fecking piss.

Side-quests: Collect 5 bear pelts, collect 10 Nirnroot, collect 5 fire salts.

A game with hundreds of characters and 6 voice actors to voice them all.

Shite main questline.

Looking back at how much time I spent on that game is my biggest gaming regret. It's a hollow piece of shit.
Yeah, I mean it's not that it isn't fun for quite a few hours, but when you look at it from a distance, Bethesda has been making the same game for over 10 years now, starting with Oblivion. Engaging gameplay formula, fun exploration, but, at a closer look, really shitty world building, writing, story telling, and characterisation.

Kaos

Will get slaughtered for this but.....Uncharted, all of them. And The Last of Us.

Great cinematic experiences but as games they're nothing special to me.

Peanut Butter

Will get slaughtered for this but.....Uncharted, all of them. And The Last of Us.

Uncharted yes definitely. Last Of Us is beautiful though but maybe, maybe I can see why some find it overrated.

Another game people seem to rave about and spend 100s of hours on is Skyrim. That game is rank.

Art Vandelay

Oddly enough I agree on Uncharted, thought it was massively overrated. Yet I loved The Last of Us. Even the slightly wonky gameplay fits TLoU better.

I thought both Horizon and Breath of the Wild were massively overrated earlier this year. Almost like the entire industry went into a state of desperation to pretend everything was fantastic. Horizon bored the tits off me and Zelda while good was not a 10/10. @The Bloody-Nine has already summed up the issues I had with it. It was the weapon breakage that really got to me most of all. It infuriated me to no end and had an adverse effect on everything else.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Witcher's weapon system has far more issues than Zeldas. In fact the whole game does, by a long way. Like Zelda and LOU though, it should still be considered a masterpiece imo.

Horizon is a level or two below all three, but was still decent. I think it got pretty much the right level of reception overall personally.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Uncharted 1 isn't actually rated by many people, game had a lot of issues.

Uncharted 2 is rated, justifiably in my opinion, as one of the best action blockbuster games ever. Nothing innovative in the game but games don't need to be innovative to be great.

3 & 4 are entertaining but poor attempts to recapture the magic of 2.

Redlambs

It's great. I liked the first one, but this one kind of went under my radar. I picked it up new for something like a tenner. Money well spent.
I might be going against my usual gaming opinions, but occasionaly I like a dud. Like Dead Island on the PC. But I've been enjoying Prey this week, it's a bit like Dishonored in space. The combat is a bit weak and something just doesn't feel right with it in that regards, but the option to stealth around and some of the upgrades it looks like I can eventually unlock at least makes it look interesting.

I've not really heard anyone talk about it though.