Most overrated video/computer game ever?

Nucks

RT History Department
But you can ignore all the quality of life improvements if you so wish. You can up the difficulty as you level up, so I don't buy these excuses.

Having the option for players to have an incredibly OP build doesn't mean it's dumbed down, it just means the game has more options. If anything I'd say Skyrim is a victim of its own variety.

It sounds like I'm a Skyrim fanboy and I'm really not. If anything it's probably a little overrated (especially by the people at Bethesda) but it gets so much unwarranted criticism from so called gaming elitists.

If it wasn't for the success of Skyrim I don't think we get Witcher 3 as it is, or any of these recent, sprawling RPGs.
I like all the Elder Scrolls games. While I can lament some of the lost depth, I also enjoy the increases in accessibility. An example of a game and developer, that totally shit the bed over a concept like this is Bioware with Mass Effect 2. Instead of correcting or improving features that could be stream lined, Bioware essentially tore the entire RPG guts out of Mass Effect 2, and turned it into Gears of War Mass Effect edition.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
For some reason there a real snobbery in the gaming community about "dumbing" down games.
I dont think that is snobbery, just personal taste. I love complex games with loads of sprawling, crazy mechanics that allow you to pull off some incredible stuff, but also - importantly - allow you so simply feck up. I loved World of Warcraft up until around Cataclysm, where the classes/talents all got revamped and "streamlined" into specific builds. I love Crusader Kings 2 for its complexity.

I understand the business decisions sometimes made (in instances like WoW, where it has continued to enjoy unprecedented success) to make a game appeal to a more 'mainstream' audience, but for me I dont want a game to dictate to me how I should play, I want to be given the tools and the objective and be allowed to figure out my own ways of achieving it. I dont consider that snobbery.

Adebesi

I dont think that is snobbery, just personal taste. I love complex games with loads of sprawling, crazy mechanics that allow you to pull off some incredible stuff, but also - importantly - allow you so simply feck up. I loved World of Warcraft up until around Cataclysm, where the classes/talents all got revamped and "streamlined" into specific builds. I love Crusader Kings 2 for its complexity.

I understand the business decisions sometimes made (in instances like WoW, where it has continued to enjoy unprecedented success) to make a game appeal to a more 'mainstream' audience, but for me I dont want a game to dictate to me how I should play, I want to be given the tools and the objective and be allowed to figure out my own ways of achieving it. I dont consider that snobbery.
That's so interesting. I wish I was like that. I don't really want to think when I'm playing games. Or not too hard, or not all the time. I get frustrated if I can't figure out what to do within 20-30 mins and end up googling it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Of course it's not snobbery, that's just the standard answer of people who like games that are considered dumbed and hate to admit it. The snobbery would be more looking down on people who like those games.

And it is a fact games are dumbed anyway to chase the sales, so there's no real debate about if.

As @Nucks says it's not accessibility that's the problem, in fact that can be a very good thing, it's when they gut games completely and ruin a decent series.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
FIFA. Nice presentation and graphics, a good online but delivers a poor football game experience.

Halo and Mass Effect. Was never able to get into Halo. Mass Effect I have played and enjoyed. But it's not as good as people make out to be imo.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
You belong in the youtube comments with an attitude like that.

If you can't have your own debate then don't try, but don't get all pissy just because you did the most obvious thing and expect no one to mention it :lol:
You belong in the youtube comments with an attitude like that.

If you can't have your own debate then don't try, but don't get all pissy just because you did the most obvious thing and expect no one to mention it :lol:

Meh, I don't mind him, he can be amusing at times. He has an audience and knows how to wind people up. His followers on the other hand, I don't think they understand quite what he does or why!

Hence why they feel the need to bring him up everytime botw is mentioned. Like I said, it's predictable and very dated.
I'd never actually heard of Jim fecking Sterling son until after I'd posted my views of the game and got a load of abuse, so to me it's not an obvious thing - I generally don't tend to pay much attention to gobshites who waffle on about games but of course the chunky egomaniac came to mind as he's the highest profile reviewer to pan it, I prefer to play them myself - I'd not take his opinion as gospel anyway, the man plays with boglins ffs. Botw is a strange fruit though, you either praise it to the skies, or you don't know Jack shit if you happen to find it a quite boring, repetitive chore with broken mechanics.

It's akin to going to Comic con and saying you don't like Star wars/Star trek/Marvel.

Redlambs

I'd never actually heard of Jim fecking Sterling son until after I'd posted my views of the game and got a load of abuse, so to me it's not an obvious thing - I generally don't tend to pay much attention to gobshites who waffle on about games but of course the chunky egomaniac came to mind as he's the highest profile reviewer to pan it, I prefer to play them myself - I'd not take his opinion as gospel anyway, the man plays with boglins ffs. Botw is a strange fruit though, you either praise it to the skies, or you don't know Jack shit if you happen to find it a quite boring, repetitive chore with broken mechanics.

It's akin to going to Comic con and saying you don't like Star wars/Star trek/Marvel.
Wow, this was a while ago wasn't it?

Anyway Zelda doesn't have broken mechanics, a large part of the praise it gets is precicely because of how everything works together. Unless you can point out something that is actually broken?

If you are talking about the weapons mechanic, it's simply a case of like it or not. I myself would like it to be more forgiving. It's not broken though. I can't remember if you said how much of the game you played? And if you liked messing around with the physics and all the stuff you could do, or just played it like a straight laced game (like horizon for example)? Because the sandbox/survival nature of the game is what it's about more than anything.

But hey, opinions mate.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Wow, this was a while ago wasn't it?

Anyway Zelda doesn't have broken mechanics, a large part of the praise it gets is precicely because of how everything works together. Unless you can point out something that is actually broken?

If you are talking about the weapons mechanic, it's simply a case of like it or not. I myself would like it to be more forgiving. It's not broken though. I can't remember if you said how much of the game you played? And if you liked messing around with the physics and all the stuff you could do, or just played it like a straight laced game (like horizon for example)? Because the sandbox/survival nature of the game is what it's about more than anything.

But hey, opinions mate.
Aye, not everyone can like the same thing. I played it for a good chunk of time, 15-20hrs, long enough so that if it was gonna click it would have by then. I just found it a bit dull, massive world with nowt in it, the breaking weapons really grated on me which is bizarre seen as I adore Dark souls and that has it too albeit not as fast.

Just one of them games that I don't see the appeal of, never been fond of Halo, Mario, Metroid and other highly rated franchises yet I'll play games others pan. I don't think much of Destiny or Overwatch either so it must be an age thing. Got 120 games on my PS4 yet the one I'm playing mostly atm is nearly 20 years old now (Final fantasy 9)

Redlambs

Aye, not everyone can like the same thing. I played it for a good chunk of time, 15-20hrs, long enough so that if it was gonna click it would have by then. I just found it a bit dull, massive world with nowt in it, the breaking weapons really grated on me which is bizarre seen as I adore Dark souls and that has it too albeit not as fast.

Just one of them games that I don't see the appeal of, never been fond of Halo, Mario, Metroid and other highly rated franchises yet I'll play games others pan. I don't think much of Destiny or Overwatch either so it must be an age thing. Got 120 games on my PS4 yet the one I'm playing mostly atm is nearly 20 years old now (Final fantasy 9)
FF9 is a brilliant game, enjoy!

Unmutual

The weapons breaking mechanic in Dark Souls may as well have not been there tbf, it was so trivial to repair weapons. The mechanic in Zelda will defo be off-putting to lots of people. I didn't mind it first time through, but on Master Mode it gets tiring fighting a lynel or whatever and using up every weapon you're carrying before the fight is over.

But it does solve a problem that Dark Souls (amongst others) has, which is that despite the game being packed full of interesting and cool looking weapons, for a given build you probably won't use more than 5 different ones in the whole run through. Fact is, when you get a weapon that does a certain amount of damage, you're probably not going to start using one that does less damage per second, even if it is novel and interesting to use. So the mechanic in Zelda kind of forces you to try the full arsenal the game has to offer. Its a nice idea in theory and allows the game to experiment with a wide range of weaponry, but it wouldn't surprise me if its gone by the next game.

Last edited: